• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast confirmed as the free game for PS4 PS+ members in February

OneUh8

I have been wanting to play this. But once they said it will be a PS+ game a while back, I decided to hold off.

FluxWaveZ

It doesn't mean anything. Drive club was never meant to be free PS+ game.

ab3.jpg

Atrophis

Cool. Was wondering when they were going to put this out. Really need Drive Club soon though, I've been barely touching PS4 the last few weeks.

I have not heard good things about Outlast.

It's better than Contrast and Don't Starve and I enjoyed it enough to beat it. Also one of the scariest games in years, although the ending is almost Insidious tier jumping the shark.

Either way, no one should be complaining when the last two "games" we got were Don't Starve and Contrast. Those are legitimately terrible.

I played it on my laptop but never finished it, I'll defo download this too the ps4 now and record some gameplay clips to show my bro who loves horror games but doesn't have a ps4...................yet!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Other confirmed PS4 PS+ games:

Drive Club PS+ Ed (Q1)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth (Q1)
Secret Ponchos (April)

I would guess DC gets pushed to May.

Seanspeed

Banned
I have not heard good things about Outlast.
I'm a big horror game fan so I'm excited about it(bought it on Steam), but it does seem to have a lot of people who are disappointed with it. Most complaints seem to be that it wears its scares out too quickly. I'll see soon.

Either way, nice addition to PS+.

IvorB

I did a review on it sometime after launch. I can't exactly call it junk but the jist of my issues with it is that the horror, running and stealth mechanics are fairly hollow. It does one type of scare, not particularly well I might add, and rides that for the whole 6-8 hour trainride.

Could have been so much better.

Okay cool. Read your review. Sounds like it's worth a look then back to Warframe.

Sony must be spending a lot to secure these PS+ games.

The service was announced half way through the PS3's life cycle and there was already a library they could pick and choose games from for Instant Game Collection.

But now they have to secure arguably the biggest downloadable titles each month since the PS4 is still in its infancy.

I can't complain though!

majik13

It's better than Contrast and Don't Starve and I enjoyed it enough to beat it. Also one of the scariest games in years, although the ending is almost Insidious tier jumping the shark.

Either way, no one should be complaining when the last two "games" we got were Don't Starve and Contrast. Those are legitimately terrible.

Scarier than ZombiU?

Loudninja

Other confirmed PS4 PS+ games:

Drive Club PS+ Ed (Q1)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth (Q1)
Secret Ponchos (April)

I would guess DC gets pushed to May.
I am not sure this mean anything sine the game does not have a release date, they can always switch things around.

GoaThief

I'm a little disappointed by this, the last couple have been PC indies that have been available for some time. After a superb start with Resogun and Contrast (surprised it seems to have garnered some intense dislike), Don't Starve did not agree with me and I own Outlast on PC. Noticed a sly remake of the Amiga classic Silly Putty has gone up, would rather that or Tiny Brains as they're much fresher and in line with how PS+ on the PS4 kicked off.

Still, Outlast is an OK title for those that have not played it. I think the reaction videos to the game are exaggerating somewhat though, it's quite predictable and not particularly scary or tense but has it's fun moments all the same.

Darn, just finished the PC version a couple weeks ago. Honestly PS+ on PS4 has been a pretty big bust thus far in my opinion, with the sole (obvious) exception of the glorious Resogun. Not that Don't Starve and Outlast are bad games (far from it), they're just experiences I've already had elsewhere. Contrast, on the other hand... the less said about that one the better.

Matriox

Don't like horror games at all :(

This :S probably wont even claim the download, watched a trailer and found myself biting my fingernails. Not for me :( Oh well, been enjoying Resogun and the tiny amount of Dont Starve Ive tried, not every free will be for everyone.

I can't wait crap my pants while streaming.

First I thought of that.. I wonder if this was even a little bit intentional considering all of the horror reaction youtube videos...

Just finished it on PC. It was ok but overall nothing special. Great graphics, nice atmosphere, controls well, but the sneaking gameplay is pretty bad and the plot completely goes off the rails by the end. Plus the game is only like 4 hours long.

I'm also not sure why people say it's the scariest game in years. I found most of the game's scares to be completely predictable. It does have a creepy atmosphere, but most of the time nothing is actively threatening you in the game so it's not like I actually have to worry about anything.

Plus the game has a tendency to do cinematic BS way too often. It's not scary if it's just some random cutscene that I can't control. I know my character is going to escape from it, so who cares? I dunno, it all just seemed rather phoned in to me. Especially coming off Cry of Fear (an actually scary game) I found Outlast pretty weak.

hawk2025

PSN+ really bringing the heat with the non-stop $5 PC games.

12 "$5 PC games" for free, as well as other Sony goodies like Resogun and Driveclub, along with all the PS3, Vita content, and discounts?

Why would this be a problem, again?

I guess i am just sick of all these horror games now pulling an amnesia and not giving you any weapons. I guess expecting a good horror game that doesn't use the same formula as amnesia is pretty uncommon now. I really hope The Evil Within is actually scary and has good gameplay because i prefer to play something where i actually can use a weapon instead of running everytime something is heading my way.

Con_Smith

Banned
Can't wait to try it out. Sucks for the people turned off by Indies or whatever cause Sony has had me cured of the post launch draught so far.

Still bought it during the Steam sale, but I'll likely play through this version first. I wonder how the trophies will be handled, considering what I've seen/heard so far of the game doesn't allow much room for earning anything.

Afrikan

oh man, would've been perfect for Sony VR..if there were such a thing. I need to get my HMZ back ASAP....better than nothing.

Top Bottom