• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Watch_Dogs canceled? GS Italy says so; Ubisoft no comment; back on gamestop.it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured even if Ubi started to drop some Wii U support, they'd go ahead and release the WiiU version. Assuming it is cancelled, I'm betting the delay, combined with the recent WiiU sales figures is what did it in. If Watch Dogs had been released last year, the WiiU version would have happened as planned, but having to delay it and apparently do a significant amount of work to the game overall, made it hard to justify continuing that work on the WiiU version. Might as well move that much needed manpower to the more important SKUs instead of wasting opportunity cost.

I don't see why Ubisoft would do that now.
A year ago? Sure. But now? Why?

The only thing that would make sense to me is that they have severe problem with the game and need every ressources they can get on the main versions to get it done in time. So the scrapped the WiiU version because thats the one that hurst them the least.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Ubisoft would just tell us one way or the other. It's like they're purposefully trying to sabotage a Wii U release, if it still is coming to the system, by refusing to answer; I wonder if anyone has cancelled their preorder for the Wii U version because of the news.

ekim

We europeans write the date day/month/year

Which also makes much more sense. Same goes for the metric system.
imperial-vs-si.png

tebunker

Banned
So if this game survives will we get exclusive Mario and lungi outfits? I want something pointless and ridiculous for making gamers go through this. Am I doing this right gaf? Ridiculous demands for no reason?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now, if Gamestop would have wanted to troll, they should have had as release date February 29th.

So if this game survives will we get exclusive Mario and lungi outfits? I want something pointless and ridiculous for making gamers go through this. Am I doing this right gaf? Ridiculous demands for no reason?

Aiden gets a long beard and a stick. Cranky Dogs confirmed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

You have to be more ambitious than that. Free season passes for all Wii U owners.

Petrae

Cancelling this version is sadly the right move for Ubisoft. Every dollar spent on it, Ubisoft may as well be lighting on fire. It's not Ubisoft's job to light money on fire.

Now, if say, there were a platform holder that a gigantic warchest, and was desperate to have games on its console, maybe that platform holder should be doing everything possible to keep that game on the system (whether moneyhats, exclusive DLC, paying for half the marketing of the title, whatever). But Nintendo wouldn't even do that for GTAV. Heck, they hate to spend money to market their OWN titles. Chances they would do it for a new Ubisoft IP? Basically zero.

Nintendo assuming risk for its third-party "partners"? Stop making sense! Too bad Iwata and his team won't do it. I think there's a firm belief within Nintendo that it's still powerful enough to succeed without third-party support and doesn't need to do any wooing.

I think that third-party publishers would be willing to give WiiU more time of day if Nintendo dipped into its Scrooge McDuck-like reservoir of cash and made it worth their while. Be a true partner and earn back some of the interest from other game-makers. Nintendo doesn't/shouldn't have to fund everything, but kick a little money in. Share a couple of in-house experts to help with development. Make a real effort to help get the word out about third-party games.

That won't happen. Third-party pubs will continue to be distant, now and for future Nintendo platforms, until Nintendo catches lightning in a bottle again and has a Wii type of success again which basically forces publishers to step up if they want in on any of that success.

Nintendo isn't who it thinks it is anymore. Until the company realizes this, it's going to essentially be Nintendo versus the world.

IvorB

Wow. Ubisoft was a WiiU stalwart. This is rough if true. If it wasn't though I think Ubisoft would have said something besides "no comment".

Sad-Mario.jpg

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's not ridiculous enough. The Wii U version should have an entire district based on Yoshi's Island. Touch fuzzy get dizzy in Chicago son

TunaLover

In latin america we use the same european format for dates dd/mm/yyyy, I guess USA and Canada are the only ones using mm/dd/yyyy?

Exile20

This pretty much, the "No comment" statement isn't bad news but it isn't good news either.

Zombi U bombed in sales and rightfully so.

You must be mad, ZombiU was great. Did you even play it? Even the multiplayer I played alot with my friends.

I want a sequel.

Pociask

imperial-vs-si.png

As an American, that image made me LOL. To be fair, the yard isn't even frequently used as a measurement - it's more common to speak about how many feet per mile.

And if you want to add a little more to the silliness, there are 16 ounces to a pound. And 8 ounces to a cup, 16 ounces in a pint. Whose idea was it to use the same word to describe both a weight measurement and a liquid measurement?

I guess at least we don't talk about how many stones someone weighs.

tebunker

Banned
Nintendo assuming risk for its third-party "partners"? Stop making sense! Too bad Iwata and his team won't do it. I think there's a firm belief within Nintendo that it's still powerful enough to succeed without third-party support and doesn't need to do any wooing.

I think that third-party publishers would be willing to give WiiU more time of day if Nintendo dipped into its Scrooge McDuck-like reservoir of cash and made it worth their while. Be a true partner and earn back some of the interest from other game-makers. Nintendo doesn't/shouldn't have to fund everything, but kick a little money in. Share a couple of in-house experts to help with development. Make a real effort to help get the word out about third-party games.

That won't happen. Third-party pubs will continue to be distant, now and for future Nintendo platforms, until Nintendo catches lightning in a bottle again and has a Wii type of success again which basically forces publishers to step up if they want in on any of that success.

Nintendo isn't who it thinks it is anymore. Until the company realizes this, it's going to essentially be Nintendo versus the world.

I said this same thing earlier it will take a culture change at Nintendo. It doesn't matter how many systems they sell they still need to make an effort to cultivate a profitable development platform for third parties. Because clearly their laissez faire approach has failed them, even when they had a 100 million unit machine they still got poor 3rd party support.

zombiU has multi? hmm maybe I should check it out, as now i'm curious

The person using the Gamepad is the Zombie Master and he places zombies with different abilites, etc... strategically on the map to stop the player using the other controller from accomplishing a goal.

It's actually quite interesting but I never played it myself.

As an American, that image made me LOL. To be fair, the yard isn't even frequently used as a measurement - it's more common to speak about how many feet per mile.

And if you want to add a little more to the silliness, there are 16 ounces to a pound. And 8 ounces to a cup, 16 ounces in a pint. Whose idea was it to use the same word to describe both a weight measurement and a liquid measurement?

I guess at least we don't talk about how many stones someone weighs.

1 litre is 1 kilogram.
The former is a liquid measurement. The latter is not. So yeah.

(Also that's not completely true. 1 litre of water is 1 kilogram, while 1 litre of gasoline weighs a lot less (~0,75 kg or so))

Every measurement system has its quirks. The metric system just has less of them :p

zruben

Banned
It wasn't cancelled.

The italian store cancelled the preorders because the release date was changed.
The mess is sorted out now.

ekim

1 litre is 1 kilogram.
The former is a liquid measurement. The latter is not. So yeah.

(Also that's not completely true. 1 litre of water is 1 kilogram, while 1 litre of gasoline weighs a lot less (~0,75 kg or so))

Every measurement system has its quirks. The metric system just has less of them :p

You mean 1 litre of water weights 1 kilogram. But you don't use them both to compare them.

Stencil

This thread will have more people posting than the potential sales of Watch Dogs Wii U in Italy.

lol, I laugh because is truth perhaps.

I really had absolutely no interest in Watch_Dogs anyways, but if this is true then, I just don't know what. Nintendo... :(

TunaLover

zombiU has multi? hmm maybe I should check it out, as now i'm curious
The player with the gamepad place zombies in the map to try kill player 2, you can drop different kind of zombies once you reach certain level, player 2 uses either Wiimote + Nunchuk or Wii U Pro Controller to control the survivor. It's actually pretty fun, but I can't get used to the Wiimote I lost signal when I reach the screen borders, I prefer using Pro Controller.

Beaten!

cafemomo

WD by Ubisoft Bucharest, the people who helped Montpellier out with developing ZombiU
http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/watc..._wii_u_port_handled_by_ubisoft_bucharest.html
Splinter Cell Wii U -> Shanghai
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._the_wii_u_version_of_splinter_cell_blacklist
Black Flag Wii U -> Quebec Studio composed of about 15 people.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...place_in_the_franchise_and_returning_to_wii_u
thanks for the info
imperial-vs-si.png

yuropoors cant handle the freedums of our system

North American GameStop still has all versions listed at the 6/30/14 release date. At least it was the last time I checked it five minutes ago.

Azih

In latin america we use the same european format for dates dd/mm/yyyy, I guess USA and Canada are the only ones using mm/dd/yyyy?

Canadians use everything. So accommodating, so annoying.

Though really everyone will be using yyyy/mm/dd soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom