• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft did not abandon the Wii U.

As has now become the norm, Ubisoft has stated that they will support the Nintendo NX, causing numerous retorts that "Ubisoft abandoned the Wii U", usually along with a "Show me the receipts" gif or a rant about how Ubisoft screwed Nintendo with their delay of Rayman Legends. This has always bugged the hell out of me because if anything Ubisoft was one of the last publishers to officially "abandon" the Wii U (which is itself an oxymoron but more on that later). However, I never felt the need to state it in words before now.

This was in part prompted by two people I very much enjoy otherwise (a certain reporter known for NX leaks and a certain Bidoof) more or less saying Ubisoft abandoned the Wii U. So, I decided to spend a half hour or so tabulating the total amount of games published or developed, solely or otherwise, by all the major 3rd party publishers. THQ was left out because they have an excuse (bankruptcy right after Wii U launch), while Deep Silver was excluded because they only started publishing games for the Wii U this year.

Methodology was not exactly scientific but as best I could manage. I used the "List of Wii U software" Wikipedia page. Apps were excluded, as well as any games that never actually came out or were merely another publishers game being handled by another in the EU/JP. That last one really only applies to a few Bandai Namco games that they handled the EU/JP publishing of. I recorded total number of games as well as the beginning and end of their support. I also recorded the last release date of any "non-cash cows". This is basically my way of categorizing games like Skylanders, LEGO, and Just Dance that were supported until now while the "real" support ended a long time ago. That only ended up applying to Activision, WB, and Ubisoft. Dates were chosen based off most recent US/JP release (sorry Europe).

Analysis will come later, but here is the data. First, a breakdown of the number of games per publisher and what those games generally are:

2K/Take Two: 1 (NBA 2K13)
Activision: 25 (2 CoDs, 5 Skylanders, 16 useless ports/licensed garbage/shovelware)
Bandai Namco: 17 (possibly 19, 4 were either just developed/co-developed for Nintendo, only 10 released in West, games from other publishers that they published in EU/JP for excluded)
Capcom: 5 (2 are Monster Hunter games, only one of which came out in the US (each successive update/release of Frontier G not counted)
Deep Silver: 3 (1 still in development, 1 is EU eShop exclusive, 1 is Mighty No. 9)
EA: 4 (2 sports games, other 2 were ports of games from a few months prior, no games released outside of 4 month launch window)
Koei Tecmo: 6 (2 were published in JP as Koei Tecmo while as Nintendo elsewhere, 1 was solely published by Nintendo
Konami: 0 (1 was planned by apparently never released. Some board game.)
Sega: 8 (2 Mario & Sonic games (which were published by Nintendo), 3 other Sonic games (1 racer, 1 okay/not great, 1 Boom))
Ubisoft: 22 (7 Just Dance games (plus 1 released only in Japan published by Nintendo))
WB Games: 17 (3 Batman games, 9 Lego games, 10 if you count Lego Undercover which Nintendo published by TT is owned by WB)

As you can see, there's only 4 publishers with a total amount of games in the double digits: Activision, WB, Ubisoft, and Namco Bandai. Activision comes out the winner with 25 games released to date, followed by Ubisoft with 22, while Bandai Namco and WB both bring in 17 games. Take out Just Dance for Ubisoft and you have 15 games. Take out LEGO for WB and you have 7-8 games total. Take out all the Skylanders and licensed garbage for Activision and you have 4. That makes the new ranking 17 Namco, 17 Ubisoft, 7-8 WB, and 4 Activision. But sure, Ubisoft only make Just Dance games for Wii U.

As for range of support, take a look at this here spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lWHkqaa8BUHv0IosXv6FXCHAC97BPCgYytX0EOcKxx0/edit#gid=0 Figure 1 shows the total amount of time supported, with cash cows included, while Figure 2 shows the total without cash cows.

Now, what does this all say? Well, in terms of long-term support, Ubisoft is still supporting the damn thing. Of course, though, that's all just because of Just Dance. Apparently that's not "real" support. Which is where Figure 2 comes in. I've removed Just Dance, Skylanders, and LEGO from the equation. When you do that, Ubisoft finds itself right in the middle. Better than half, worse than the other. It is #5 out of a possible 10. Sure, you can take 2K and Konami out because they didn't even bother trying, but that still puts Ubisoft at 5 out of 8.

That's not exactly great numbers, but keep in mind that the only western publisher that supported the Wii U better is Activision, and that's only because of Guitar Hero Live (which was on EVERYTHING, even your freaking phone). Take that and licensed garbage like the Peanuts Movie game and a The Voice game and you get taken back to 6/24/14 with Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark. Doing that knocks Activision back to between WB and Ubisoft. Which would make Ubisoft the best supporter in the West and the only one to support for 2 years, if ever so exactly.

Of course, I find it ridiculous that we argue about what constitutes "real" support to begin with. You may not care about Just Dance whatsoever but clearly someone does because they keep releasing it on Wii U. Those are people buying games for their Wii U that aren't just published by Nintendo. Whether or not you care about them is irrelevant. It just comes across as elitist.

Now, I'm not saying Ubisoft didn't "abandon" the Wii U (even if that's what the thread title says). It's obvious just by looking at their overall releases that over time Wii U stopped showing up, barring the occasional Just Dance game. But that is hardly unique to Ubisoft. Literally every other Western publisher did the same crap.

But it's not like they did it for no reason. In the early days the system numbers were low and the software sales were even lower. Not to mention the fact the console was vastly underpowered compared to it's Sony and Microsoft sibling. So ports were out the window, leaving only games that didn't require much processing power and/or completely new games for the Wii U. Which they totally should have done from a creative sense but it also clearly made zero business sense to. I'm all for publishers and studio making products at a possible loss for the prestige but games do not function the way the film industry does. Your game needs to be marketable and profitable.

TL;DR Ubisoft was not the only Western publisher to "abandon" the Wii U. They weren't even the first. They were probably the last. And they may not have even abandoned the thing at all based on your definition of abandoned.

Feel free to disagree.

So why not make your title reflective of the OP?

Congrats on Ubisoft not abandoning the Wii U first, we could probably count on one game how name excellent games we got out of that (if any amount of hands at all).

Ubisoft: the world's tallest midget.

I always said Ubisoft got an unfair amount of hate from Nintendo fans. Ubi were among those trying the hardest out of all the other 3rd parties on Wii U. And they got burned for it. It's a miracle they continued releasing even Just Dance for it for so long.

I haven't really participated in this discussion in the other threads but it seems a strange thing to harp on Ubisoft for.

They supported the console for a decent amount of time. Why would they support it for longer given its sales?

On a personal level, I think even Nintendos support for this Wii U has been terrible compared to what they did for past systems so I don't expect Ubisoft to go above and beyond to fix Nintendos screw ups.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
But the Wii U abandoned Ubisoft. #UbisoftDidNothingWrong #CrossingEdenAgrees

purdobol

Ubi deservers some respect for sure when it comes to games released for Nintendo platforms. At least they aren't afraid of playing with new ideas. That's why we have gems like Red Steel 2 or ZombiU.
They did make some questionable decisions though during that time. Rayman Legends delay is something I'll never forget nor forgive. So beware Ubisoft!

jesu

TL;DR Ubisoft was not the only Western publisher to abandon the Wii U. They weren't even the first. They were probably the last. And they may not have even abandoned the thing at all based on your definition of abandoned.

Doesn't really tie in with the thread title does it, hmmm

Kouriozan

Ubisoft said they would stop Wii U support if their games still sold like sh*t, and it did.
Hard to be mad when they probably lost a lot of money on that console.

EDIT : Emily Rogers: “Wii U Owners Better Buy Ubisoft Games”

pfQ9WsR.png

Shiggy

Somehow the thread title doesn't match your post. And with Just Dance being the only release this (and last year?), it's fair to say that they abandoned Wii U. Just Dance even releases on the original Wii, and nobody would deny that it's an abandoned platform.

So what you're saying is that Ubisoft was the biggest Western publisher for the Wii U if you disregard a lot of games because reasons? I mean, there's a lot of mental gymnastics going on here to make this argument and pretend licensed games aren't good enough to qualify.

So what you're saying is that Ubisoft was the biggest Western publisher for the Wii U if you disregard a lot of games because reasons? I mean, there's a lot of mental gymnastics going on here to make this argument and pretend licensed games aren't good enough to qualify.
How different are those mental gymnastics from the kind that say putting out a new Just Dance game every year qualifies as no support?

Shiggy

How different are those mental gymnastics from the kind that say putting out a new Just Dance game every year qualifies as no support?
It's the same stupid logic that I also fundamentally don't agree with.

I think people expect a bit more than one game per year to say that a company supports a system. Look at the Wii, would you also not say it's an abandoned system? It's getting as many Ubisoft games as the Wii U. Then again, the Wii U only has 3 more retail releases than the Wii for the rest of the year. Think based on that, most people would agree that both systems got abandoned by publishers.

I cancelled my Rayman Legends pre-order when it was delayed, and I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since.

This thread is for you haha.

Are there still people who think that Rayman would have salvaged the Wii U in the west for 6 months?

Saying Just Dance is offering support sounds like a dad who makes it to one little league game all season and he's on the phone talking to clients the entire time.

Just Dance is a really popular annualized title, that used to be up there with Madden and 2k in the annual franchise popularity.

It's also Ubi's second biggest franchise LTD. It's about on par with MonHun.

I couldn't tell you because I'm not familiar with your above claim being a popular sentiment. I don't go into a lot of Wii U topics, but haven't even seen it mentioned here that I recall.

Bought Zombi U, Splinter Cell, Rayman, Child of Light and two Just Dance.

Did my part when games were good... sadly not many Wii U owner made it complicated to make profits for Wii U only games even if I'm sure Rayman and Just Dance sold a decent amount on the console :/

Hoping for them it'll be different for NX. But yeah going for the innovating system is taking a risk, they've always enjoyed trying new things. Sometimes it's a big success, sometimes it's not. For Wii U even if it could never reach Wii level, a better marketing and 1st party output during first year would have helped a lot keeping the system relevant for longer.

Yep. I dunno why people expected Ubi to fix Nintendos fuck up. Why should they take losses and release games that wont make their money back.

Because for Nintendo's most hardcore fans, when Nintendo fuck up its everyone's fault but Nintendo's. Legit seen people blame consumers and 3rd party publishers for Wii U's failure.

WiiU owners abandoned Ubisoft when they decided not to buy ZombieU.

Stop blaming third parties all the time.

Yup.

We were given some good third party games. In fact one of the best last gen (Bayonetta port and Bayonetta 2).

Problem was it was slightly more powerful than the Xbox and ps3 and let's be honest most wiiU owners had them and only got the wiiU for Nintendo games.

The console was too expensive, and too late to the party.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Thank you OP. Just like some try to say the Wii didn't get 3rd party support and that was shown to be false.

Nintendo fans will blame everyone in the room aside from Nintendo and other fans. Ubisoft went above and beyond.

Pretty much.

One excuse I hear and always baffles me is the late port one.

Why would it matter how late it comes to Wii U if the Wii U is your only or main console?

If late ports are a reason to not get a game on your console, that means you must have another console to play it on. And if you do have another console, for whatever reason you are choosing not to get it on the Wii U.

I see ppl mentioning late ports and price of a single game in a collection vs a collection on another console and price...price isn't bothering those same ppl from getting Nintendo games now. So why does price factor in for some games and doesn't matter for other games?

Because reasons....

Some people here still think Wii U is a add on to the Wii.

I'm not joking.

Yeah, it was a terrible name for a new console which looked exactly like the old one and was springboarding off a lot of software and peripherals from the previous gen with names like Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Balance Board. It didn't help that the marketing focused on the Gamepad and struggled to explain that it was actually a new console and not a Wii peripheral. Besides being a fairly neat pun, I'm amazed marketing teams allowed it to be called that.

LordRaptor

One excuse I hear and always baffles me is the late port one.

It matters to people who have not made a purchase - if one platform is routinely getting titles later than others it becomes less attractive.

Why do you think Sony and MS pay large amounts of money for time-limited exclusivity deals if it doesn't matter?

Nintendo fans will blame everyone in the room aside from Nintendo and other fans. Ubisoft went above and beyond.

Correct. Ubisoft even went as far as to actively sabotage Microsoft and Sony by constantly releasing games on their consoles like the Assassins Creed series.

ramparter

Banned
Ubisoft didn't screw the WiiU, the WiiU screwed the WiiU.
Exactly, the disxussion ia mute, only biased fanboys blame a copany for not supporting their favourite console. Its busibess, they want money, if supporting Wii U was lucrative they would support it.

Top Bottom