• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft did not abandon the Wii U.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You'll notice a trend where they're the biggest supporters of any new big piece of technology, look at their Planned VR compared to other companies

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I mean they just wanted to sell more than 4 copies of Rayman Legends.

And with the porting to other platforms, they sold at least 22.

The hilarious thing is that Rayman Legends still sold the most on Wii U, despite a large part of the potential audience avoiding the game like the plague. (I never bought the game.)

Back in the day, there was a miiverse drawing of Rayman being ran over by Mario kart and the GTA V car. It was oddly prophetic.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How many of those Ubisoft Wii U games did you buy?

Ten here, actually. 5* Just Dance, Watch Dogs, AC3 & 4, Rabbids Land and Rayman Legends. My wife also wants JD 2017, so soon 11.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Can't really claim they put their best foot forward. This topic totally misses why nintendo platforms will continue to perform like shit. Amount from 3rd parties will not fix the fact a bulk of titles are being sent to die for consumers who don't rally care for them. Done being nice about it too especially considering the millions of dollars wasted the last 4 gens on nintendo console from 3rd party devs. I wonder why kind of sales data we would find comparing sucesssful titles and money put in them on nitnendo systems vs crap titles. That alone should wake up nintendo or 3rd parties sadly none of them seem to care about it.

Brinbe

Of all the companies to point fingers at, Ubi isn't one of them. They're always there day one but at some point it doesn't make financial sense to support something that isn't gonna make them a profit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
UBI Soft is good to Nintendo. They're like the nice baseball coach that pitches a few slow, underhanded pitches to the kid that can't get any hits. Then after a few strikes they move on.

I cancelled my Rayman Legends pre-order when it was delayed, and I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since.

Blame Nintendo for not supporting the only Western third party willing to release exclusive game for them.

That's the reason for the delay, they had a falling out because Nintendo didn't wanted to promote the game.

Kouriozan

Can't really claim they put their best foot forward. This topic totally misses why nintendo platforms will continue to perform like shit. Amount from 3rd parties will not fix the fact a bulk of titles are being sent to die for consumers who don't rally care for them. Done being nice about it too especially considering the millions of dollars wasted the last 4 gens on nintendo console from 3rd party devs. I wonder why kind of sales data we would find comparing sucesssful titles and money put in them on nitnendo systems vs crap titles. That alone should wake up nintendo or 3rd parties sadly none of them seem to care about it.
Exactly, we have to accept that the majority of people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, 3rd party "serious" support will never come back.
The only thing Nintendo can do are collaborations games, betting on indies and saving dead projects I guess.

StoveOven

Banned
The Rayman thing is still super shitty (and I don't even own a Wii U). It's great that the game was ported to other systems, and anybody that argues against that is an idiot. It's also true that the game would not have saved the Wii U. However, the fact that they delayed the Wii U version just because they were porting the game is really fucked up, and I can't blame Wii U owners for being mad about that.

Haganeren

Ubisoft said they would stop Wii U support if their games still sold like sh*t, and it did.
Hard to be mad when they probably lost a lot of money on that console.

EDIT : Emily Rogers: “Wii U Owners Better Buy Ubisoft Games”

pfQ9WsR.png

People are rarely mad about Ubisoft for leaving the Wii U, they are just joking when they saw Ubisoft saying they will support the NX. I don't understand this thread. Yes Ubisoft abandoned the Wii U and yes that's perfectly understandable.

The only thing REALLY idiotic was the fact Rayman Legends was out on Wii U AFTER the other plateform, now THAT was a dick move on my book.... But that's the only one i can see.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ubisoft tried at launch, they were there and games like ZombiU even used the gamepad is very unique ways, which is more than can be said about the majority of Nintendo's own titles on the system. It's no wonder they started cutting back development early on though, the Wii U was clearly going to be a failure by anyone's standards. If you blame 3rd parties, and Ubisoft for the failures of the Wii U, you'll basically give Nintendo a pass on anything.

Of course Ubisoft will support the NX at launch.. and continue to do so if it's successful. If NX crashes and burns though, why would, or should, they stick around?

Greddleok

The hilarious thing is that Rayman Legends still sold the most on Wii U, despite a large part of the potential audience avoiding the game like the plague. (I never bought the game.)

Back in the day, there was a miiverse drawing of Rayman being ran over by Mario kart and the GTA V car. It was oddly prophetic.

Why did people avoid it? It's a great game.

Eolz

Blame Nintendo for not supporting the only Western third party willing to release exclusive game for them.

That's the reason for the delay, they had a falling out because Nintendo didn't wanted to promote the game.

That's really not what happened at all with Rayman though.

Reading that list is depressing.

First post nails it, as usual. Ugh. This list is exactly why so few people - myself included - never bought a Wii U. I'll eventually pick one up on fire sale (after the NX comes out) to play first party games I've been slowly collecting on the cheap. But no 3rd party support doomed this thing from the start.

Smeags

Rayman Legends and Child of Light were some of my favorite experiences this generation. Guess I'm a sucker for UbiArt Framework.

Anywho, I always appreciate how candid and excitable they are when it comes to new hardware/technology. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what they have in store for the NX (And of course The Fractured But Whole. Stick of Truth was a blast).

That's really not what happened at all with Rayman though.

Yes it is.

There's been an article about it over here in France explaining that Ancel would leave Ubisoft and the reason from the falling out between Nintendo and Ubisoft.

Right here: http://www.gamekult.com/actu/michel-ancel-pourrait-quitter-ubisoft-A107463.html

I'll translate the relevant part:
La situation actuelle du jeu ne serait ainsi pas la cause du futur départ d'Ancel mais plutôt une conséquence ; des différends entre Nintendo et Ubisoft sur la distribution et la promotion du titre étant la raison principale de la fin de l'exclusivité Wii U, selon plusieurs informateurs.

The game current situation isn't the cause of Ancel future departure but instead a consequence; disagreement between Nintendo and Ubisoft over the distribution and the promotion of the game were the fondamental reason for the end of the Wii U exclusivity according to several sources

There is no way that's possible.

It's true, here's a picture I took in the biggest multimedia retailer in France from their Champs Elysées retail store:

bomblord1

Banned
Yup they were the only AAA dev to support it with AAA high profile games as long as they did and even followed through on Watch Dogs

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Basically, Rayman was a big title in the early days of Wii U, but after the 6 month delay, with money being tight, why would you pick that over Mario Kart?

Remember, Miiverse was full of stuff like this for months, and the complaints often appeared on the front page on WaraWara Plaza https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciJ5sVe2v6U

Reading some of the comments there also reminded me of the gamebreaking bug ZombiU suffered from that took Ubi 6 months to patch.

It matters to people who have not made a purchase - if one platform is routinely getting titles later than others it becomes less attractive.

Why do you think Sony and MS pay large amounts of money for time-limited exclusivity deals if it doesn't matter?

Sales show that most third party games aside from the odd Japanese title scale with userbase last gen and this gen for Playstation and Xbox, even with marketing and DLC deals. The exclusivity deals are meant to convince players who want those games to buy that platform for those games, not to get existing players to buy a game they are otherwise not interested in, or the rare multiconsole owner to make a choice based on a preorder bonus. Late ports tend to do well for highly anticipated AAA games on the PS, Xbox, and PC.

To someone who only owns an Xbox, for example, why does it matter to them that the same version of the game has much better graphics on PC, or slightly better graphics plus a bonus level on PS4? If they want to play it, there's one way.

iosef

Oh my god why do you even care enough to write all that?

It's like you're answering a question no one asked.

Cool-kid posturing on message boards is never a good look. :(

People being inventive and excited about something is always commendable. You go VoltySquirrel

LordRaptor

The exclusivity deals are meant to convince players who want those games to buy that platform for those games

that's literally what I just said in that quote...?

e:
Let me be really clear; if the WiiU had had every single third party onboard from launch, but, say, 40% of titles were Playstation first titles, and another 40% were Xbox first titles, the WiiU would still have struggled, because it would be the platform that got 80% of third parties 6 months late.
That's basically why they went "Blue Ocean" instead. Because Sony and MS are both prepared to spend big money just to cockblock the other for a couple of months.

jobrro

They delayed it on the Wii U.

I would have purchased it at launch of the game as I enjoyed the demo thing they put out. I don't think there was much else during the launch window of the game on the Wii U, but the console was still new, novel and possibly the most powerful console on the market. Then Ubi delayed it. They did good things during the delay like add a bunch of Origins levels.

Personally the delay just turned me off the game. If the game came out on Wii U as scheduled and then the other consoles with Origins additional content I would have been cool. I think I 'owned' it from GwG but still didn't play.

I don't care for exclusives but if there was a console that warranted some it was the Wii U in the early days. Losing a tailored exclusive really sucked for the console... Nintendoland we great but few and far between games showed what the console was capable of from a unique game play perspective.

Nintendo fans will blame everyone in the room aside from Nintendo and other fans. Ubisoft went above and beyond.

Pretty much this.

I bought ZombiU and Rayman Legends, so I did my part. I don't care for the Just Dance games, and the Assassin's Creed ports are crap (I own those on PC). But hey, lots of credit to Ubisoft for at least porting Assassin's Creed games to the Wii U.

Also, why are some Nintendo fans (some even in this own thread) so bitter about the Rayman thing? Didn't it end up on the Wii U anyway?

Reminds me of how salty some of my GameCube owning friends were when RE4 was first announced for the PS2.

Xiao Hu

I bought my WiiU for third party games. I still feel dumb.

Haha, same here. Wii U was my first console and I was pumped for it. My Wii U library is actually quite heavy on 3rd parties, lots of them are developed by Ubisoft. In my opinion if Nintendo loses Ubisoft for the NX (either disappointing sales or when Vivendi eventually fucks things up) it will hurt Nintendo by not a small margin. They still have time and the funds to buy some Ubi shares tho....

weekev

Banned
Ubisoft supported the WiiU more than any 3rd party dev did. The Rayman thing was bullshit though as was watch dogs. No issues with anything else though. They tried but WiiU failed (still my favourite console this gen)

Thank you OP. Just like some try to say the Wii didn't get 3rd party support and that was shown to be false.

Pretty much.

One excuse I hear and always baffles me is the late port one.

Why would it matter how late it comes to Wii U if the Wii U is your only or main console?

If late ports are a reason to not get a game on your console, that means you must have another console to play it on. And if you do have another console, for whatever reason you are choosing not to get it on the Wii U.

I see ppl mentioning late ports and price of a single game in a collection vs a collection on another console and price...price isn't bothering those same ppl from getting Nintendo games now. So why does price factor in for some games and doesn't matter for other games?

Because reasons....

What.

Chances are if you own a Wii U, you own another console. Nothing strange about that. Why would I buy Need For Speed Most Wanted for $60 when I can get it for $30 on another system at the time of its release?

Why WOULD I buy Mass Effect 3 for the same price I can get the 3 Mass Effect games?

What's hard to understand?

fernoca

As a note, The Peanuts game is good. A bit easy and short, but far from "licensed garbage" as described in the main post.

Agree with the rest. Ubisoft said it themselves, that they were not going to support it with games like AC and WD, but would release stuff that proved to perform well.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It matters to people who have not made a purchase - if one platform is routinely getting titles later than others it becomes less attractive.

Why do you think Sony and MS pay large amounts of money for time-limited exclusivity deals if it doesn't matter?

But if the Wii U is your only console or main one, why would that matter? You support whats your main console more if you have more than one, right?

Last gen I got the 360 before getting the PS3. I thought the PS3 was my main one until I looked up one day and realized I had about 200 360 games vs about 20 for PS3. And it had nothing to do with game prices. Turns out I preferred the controller on 360 more as time went by.

For certain games I got them twice or for PS3 only. Multi player with co workers. If I had one console only I dont believe the price of it on another platform would effect me.

If that was really the case many ppl would hold out and build a gaming capable PC, since the prices are generally better on PC vs consoles.

What.

Chances are if you own a Wii U, you own another console. Nothing strange about that. Why would I buy Need For Speed Most Wanted for $60 when I can get it for $30 on another system at the time of its release?

Why WOULD I buy Mass Effect 3 for the same price I can get the 3 Mass Effect games?

What's hard to understand?

Thats only part of the situation. I can understand that but see what I posted above.

Now....how about the folks that only have a Wii U. Whats their excuse?

But if the Wii U is your only console or main one, why would that matter? You support whats your main console more if you have more than one, right?

Last gen I got the 360 before getting the PS3. I thought the PS3 was my main one until I looked up one day and realized I had about 200 360 games vs about 20 for PS3.

For certain games I got them twice or for PS3 only. Multi player with co workers. If I had one console only I dont believe the price of it on another platform would effect me.

If that was really the case many ppl would hold out and build a gaming capable PC, since the prices are generally better on PC vs consoles.

Thats only part of the situation. I can understand that but see what I posted above.

That's a very small number? Remember, that means they didn't own a PC, 360, or PS3. Extremely unlikely.

Plus there is of course the 'well if i'm gonna spend money/ask my parents to spend money on a game, I'd rather it be on a Nintendo game' people. But again, It all comes back to that small number to begin with.

EDIT: Just saw your note on PC. For quite a growing number of people, PC + Nintendo is the way they roll. Of course, this would usually mean PC = third-party, Wii U = Nintendo + exclusives

Last gen I got the 360 before getting the PS3. I thought the PS3 was my main one until I looked up one day and realized I had about 200 360 games vs about 20 for PS3. And it had nothing to do with game prices. Turns out I preferred the controller on 360 more as time went by.

Judging by sales, there are very few folks that have only a Wii u. That's the point.

boyshine

It's true, here's a picture I took in the biggest multimedia retailer in France from their Champs Elysées retail store:

That kind of info is for the uninformed customer buying for someone else, and does not reflect normal knowledge, at least not among gamers, and people on gaming forums. I'm pretty sure you understand that as well, so don't post these things as proof of something else.

We had to do the same at my store for PS2/PS3, informing that PS2 games were only compatible with PS2 and 60GB model PS3 (CECH-C), and that PS3 games were only playable on PS3 consoles.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sales show that most third party games aside from the odd Japanese title scale with userbase last gen and this gen for Playstation and Xbox, even with marketing and DLC deals. The exclusivity deals are meant to convince players who want those games to buy that platform for those games, not to get existing players to buy a game they are otherwise not interested in, or the rare multiconsole owner to make a choice based on a preorder bonus. Late ports tend to do well for highly anticipated AAA games on the PS, Xbox, and PC.

To someone who only owns an Xbox, for example, why does it matter to them that the same version of the game has much better graphics on PC, or slightly better graphics plus a bonus level on PS4? If they want to play it, there's one way.

Exactly.

That's a very small number? Remember, that means they didn't own a PC, 360, or PS3. Extremely unlikely.

Plus there is of course the 'well if i'm gonna spend money/ask my parents to spend money on a game, I'd rather it be on a Nintendo game' people. But again, It all comes back to that small number to begin with.

EDIT: Just saw your note on PC. For quite a growing number of people, PC + Nintendo is the way they roll. Of course, this would usually mean PC = third-party, Wii U = Nintendo + exclusives

Judging by sales, there are very few folks that have only a Wii u. That's the point.

Then shouldn't the sale of 3rd party games be better on the Wii U vs the first party ones? Its like a big gap difference between the 2.

If I only have a Wii U, why am I actively avoiding 3rd party games?

Shiggy

Perhaps for a lot of people Nintendo games are enough. My game library mostly consists of Nintendo-published or -distributed titles. Not really interested in open world games and am just very bad at FPS titles. And indies support Nintendo platforms relatively well.

I don't have a Wii U myself as even the Nintendo games weren't enough to convince me.

LordRaptor

But if the Wii U is your only console or main one, why would that matter?

Well, you're inventing a consumer group that might not even exist to beg a question.

If the question is "why do exclusives matter to people who have not yet bought a platform?" the answer is self-evident.
If the question is "why do people with one platform care about exclusives on another?" that's also self-evident, but it's a completely different question.

If the question is "Why does my strawman behave as it does?", I don't know.

joms5

I agree with OP 100%. But has anyone ever thought that Ubisoft abandoned the Wii U?

I mean seriously. I don't think i've ever heard this statement uttered. But if this is something people believe they're wrong.

Ubisoft was one of very few companies that actually released new IP to the Wii U. EA gave us a Mass Effect 3 port, WB gave us a Batman Arkahm Asylum port and to be honest I don't even remember what else these companies gave us.

Ubisoft put out some of their typical stuff that I considered a waste of time like Just Dance and Rabbits, but i'm not their audience.

They did release Zombi U which was a fantastic use of the gamepad and quite a stellar experience from my point of view. And then we had Rayman Legends, easily one of the best platformers of all time (and yes it was better than both of the Super Mario U titles).

I'd say that's way more than we got from other publishers right there.

If I only have a Wii U, why am I actively avoiding 3rd party games?

Look at the Wii U userbase. What is it now, like 13m?

Now how many of those 13m owners only own a Wii U.

Now out of that likely miniscule number, how many are interested in any given game?

TDLink

Ubisoft did abandon the Wii U, but they definitely stuck in there a long time and gave it a good try. I don't think they can be blamed very much. They put out a couple annual Ass Creed games, Rayman Legends, Child of Light, a strong new IP exclusive (ZombiU), Splinter Cell Blacklist, and Watch Dogs. They sold like shit so they pulled out. But they definitely tried.

I've always known that the "unprecedented partnership" with EA was a big fat failure but I never realized EA only published 4 games on WiiU and has not released anything since the console's launch window.

That's pathetic!

I feel like something had to have happened behind the scenes there. When they dropped support the console wasn't yet off the cliff. And of all the publishers EA were the only ones to truly completely go cold turkey on the system. It's very odd.

Ubisoft put in a real effort. They even put out watch dogs when nobody would have bat an eyelid if it was quietly cancelled.

That weren't crazy big efforts. Ports with small teams.

http://gingearstudio.com/why-i-quit-my-dream-job-at-ubisoft
AC3 WiiU

After PoP, I contributed on several games here and there, and eventually landed on a technically very challenging project: porting Assassin’s Creed 3 on the WiiU...... The team was super small: we were 2 programmers at the beginning, and at the peak I think we were like 15 or something.

I was pretty excited by the challenge. ....... The WiiU was less powerful than the PS3 and XBox 360, at least on paper, so the odds weren’t on our side. Even worse: we had to make a straight port, that is no data changes, just code optimisations. It’s much cheaper to do a straight port than to downgrade all game assets.

Won't blame ubisoft for anything, but i don't think they made themselves poor with Wii U. And they made a lot of money with the Wii.

I hope they have some nice exclusive game for NX launch again, like Red Steel or Zombi U.

Mithos

Even worse: we had to make a straight port, that is no data changes, just code optimisations. It’s much cheaper to do a straight port than to downgrade all game assets.

They wanted to make the port even worse :O :O

Outside of ZombiU and Rayman Legends, most of their ports are lackluster performing similar if not worst than the 360 or even PS3 counterparts.It gave the Wii U a bad impression in the media and consumer and wiith over 100+ million 360 and PS3 sold, people aren't going to rush and buy a Wii U if they already have a system to play those games.

I tried supporting Ubisoft and after Black Flag I just gave up. The game has serious performance issues. Right now Nordic Games are the only ones who really support the Wii U

That kind of info is for the uninformed customer buying for someone else, and does not reflect normal knowledge, at least not among gamers, and people on gaming forums. I'm pretty sure you understand that as well, so don't post these things as proof of something else.

We had to do the same at my store for PS2/PS3, informing that PS2 games were only compatible with PS2 and 60GB model PS3 (CECH-C), and that PS3 games were only playable on PS3 consoles.

This picture is from June of this year, there's never been one for the PS4 and the XB1 and they've been released later then the WiiU, it's a proof in and of itself that the understanding of what the WiiU is is harder for the average consumer than the other competing consoles.

I never claimed that it was normal knowledge among gamers.

Sure. They didn't abandon Vita either, since we got an Assassin's Creed game this year. Hardly any effort put in beyond the launch year, though (which is pretty much exactly the same as WiiU).

Top Bottom