• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft did not abandon the Wii U.

Pokemaniac

But if the Wii U is your only console or main one, why would that matter? You support whats your main console more if you have more than one, right?

Here's some food for thought:
My only current gen console is a Wii U, and I was seriously considering buying Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut back when it was originally coming out 3 years ago. I still don't own that game, and do you want to know why? The Wii U version was arbitrarily $20 more expensive than the other platform versions (and this is despite them trying to mimic the Wii U features on other platforms via SmartGlass/Remote Play), and the digital version of the game still holds that price to this day. I may not own other consoles, but I stay vaguely aware of what's happening on them. With that knowledge, Deus Ex felt like a huge rip-off, and I don't like being ripped off. The worst part is that this was far from an isolated case, with many Wii U ports feeling very inferior due to either stuff like this or related issues like lack of features or post-launch support.

tl;dr: Early Wii U multiplats elevated poisoning the well to an art form.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Again; the problem with taking "EA dropped the WiiU because of sales" at face value is the timeline involved and the existence of other publishers.

Activision released 2 CoDs before making that business call, and at no point came out and publically announced they were ending all support.
Ubisoft released 2 ACs before making that business call, and at no point came out and publically announced they were ending all support.
WB released 2 Batman games before making that business call, and at no point came out and publically announced they were ending all support.

EA had their launch titles and a late port of NFS that was handled so badly that the founder of Criterion rage quit the company he founded and publically put EA on blast for how they treated it, and had publically announced they had dropped all support within 6 months of launch.

So... what? EA are smarter than everyone else? Acti / Ubi / WB are big Nintendo fanboys? EAs games sold so much worse than every other third parties?

Everything surrounding it - including EA employees publically insulting the WiiU on social media - reeks of there being bad blood behind the scenes between EA and Nintendo. Literally nothing about it suggests 'just business'.

While I'm not saying EA didn't have some issues with Nintendo, EA's titles did actually perform the worst by far of all the 3rd party titles on Wii U. I remember seeing a launch window (2012) list of sales in the US for Wii U, and all of EA's titles were at the very bottom of that list of 50+ games in terms of sales. Not saying it wasn't because of quality or something, but their games flopped even harder than the other 3rd parties lol.

Here's some food for thought:
My only current gen console is a Wii U, and I was seriously considering buying Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut back when it was originally coming out 3 years ago. I still don't own that game, and do you want to know why? The Wii U version was arbitrarily $20 more expensive than the other platform versions (and this is despite them trying to mimic the Wii U features on other platforms via SmartGlass/Remote Play), and the digital version of the game still holds that price to this day. I may not own other consoles, but I stay vaguely aware of what's happening on them. With that knowledge, Deus Ex felt like a huge rip-off, and I don't like being ripped off. The worst part is that this was far from an isolated case, with many Wii U ports feeling very inferior due to either stuff like this or related issues like lack of features or post-launch support.

tl;dr: Early Wii U multiplats elevated poisoning the well to an art form.

I can understand this sentiment. I haven't had much trouble finding 3rd party Wii U games for cheap though regardless of their inflated RRP.

Funnily enough, one of my main annoyances with Nintendo is their steadfast refusal to drop game prices outside of whatever their greatest hits range is. This is kind of like third parties playing by Nintendo's own pricing rules when they know it won't fly on non-Nintendo platforms.

I must admit though that Nintendo did some great things with first party Wii U game pricing to incentivise people to buy at launch. Mario Kart 8 could be had here for $59 at launch (went up to $79 a few weeks later) with a free game AND the DLC was very well priced. Splatoon launched at the same price point. That was refreshing!

random25

Ubisoft abandoned the Wii U, that's just a fact. The thing is who is to blame? Blame is both on the audience, for not buying their games on the Wii U, and Ubisoft, for intentionally being an ass after a shaky start, like delaying Watch_Dogs into irrelevancy, intentionally holding out games to release, and intentionally delaying Rayman Legends because "parity".

It's not like Ubisoft and Nintendo are having a rocky relationship, and I even think they are the only Western 3rd party that is close to Nintendo. But they still abandoned the Wii U. I don't think it's entirely Ubi's fault, but it doesn't mean they have no faults over the matter.

Pokemaniac

I can understand this sentiment. I haven't had much trouble finding 3rd party Wii U games for cheap though regardless of their inflated RRP.

Funnily enough, one of my main annoyances with Nintendo is their steadfast refusal to drop game prices outside of whatever their greatest hits range is. This is kind of like third parties playing by Nintendo's own pricing rules when they know it won't fly on non-Nintendo platforms.

I must admit though that Nintendo did some great things with first party Wii U game pricing to incentivise people to buy at launch. Mario Kart 8 could be had here for $59 at launch (went up to $79 a few weeks later) with a free game AND the DLC was very well priced. Splatoon launched at the same price point. That was refreshing!

Admittedly the specific case of Deus Ex is exacerbated a bit by my reluctance to just buy a physical copy, but the point still stands that the initial price point (and current digital price point) of the game was just kind of insulting to Wii U owners.

Admittedly the specific case of Deus Ex is exacerbated a bit by my reluctance to just buy a physical copy, but the point still stands that the initial price point (and current digital price point) of the game was just kind of insulting to Wii U owners.

Oh yeah, it definitely is insulting! I'm the opposite with Wii U... physical or bust for me. It's just that kind of console.

ika

The Rayman thing is still super shitty (and I don't even own a Wii U). It's great that the game was ported to other systems, and anybody that argues against that is an idiot. It's also true that the game would not have saved the Wii U. However, the fact that they delayed the Wii U version just because they were porting the game is really fucked up, and I can't blame Wii U owners for being mad about that.

Yeah, that was bad. And even worse was when they didn't to they same thing with Watch_Dogs (delayed only in Wii U). First and Second class citizens and...

PetrCobra

None of the third parties ever fucking tried to make money on the thing. They all released their "test releases" and super late ports and expected every Wii U owner to just buy them and wait for the real efforts. Ubisoft is no exception, even though Zombi U was a great exclusive.

Top Bottom