• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate coming to 360, PS3, PC & Wii U on April 2

London, UK. – 20th Feb, 2014 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment today announced Batman™: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition for the PlayStation®3 system, Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Wii U™ system and PC. Developed by Armature Studio, the same team behind Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate for handheld, the game delivers the same dynamic story and gameplay, now in high-definition. Fans will be able to purchase the game from 2nd April on the PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE® Marketplace, Nintendo eShop and Steam for £15.99.

original

original

Trailer

macewank

I feel like we all have somewhat of an obligation to not purchase this as some sort of protest for their lack of interest in fixing the base game.

Which is disappointing because I think it sounds fun :

Alienous

Whenever I see this I just think about what a missed opportunity it is.

It should have been to Asylum what Origins was to City.

koutoru

Not completely unexpected.

Western publishers don't like to make handheld exclusive games.
And if they do they don't stay exclusive for long.

(I'm surprised they didn't add "HD" to the title)

kinda interested, but i heard scanning is annoying, and combat isn't as fun as the others.

will wait for steam sale!

I'd buy this on Wii U, especially over PS3/360/PC.

Why's that? Unless they add second screen features akin to the 3ds version which is highly unlikely, haven't wii u versions of batman games always perform worse than the others?

And thus, the trend of games originally releasing on 3rd-party starved 3DS and Vita handhelds and porting remastered versions onto console digital stores for a cheaper price continues (Assassin's Creed Liberation, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Resident Evil Revelations, and now this)

I really was going to pay $40 for this game, glad I waited, but still, how can we trust third parties releasing games on handhelds and we are to enjoy them as reasons to own a handheld, when they keep re-releasing better versions of it much cheaper on consoles? I miss the old days when good games on handhelds stayed on handhelds.

Any and all competant ports to the PC are welcome.

Will get it on Steam for the definitive 1080p60 experience.

Wii U release was the biggest surprise out of this annoucement though. Means that WB is not bailing out on Nintendo yet.

Somnid

kinda interested, but i heard scanning is annoying, and combat isn't as fun as the others.

will wait for steam sale!

Why's that? Unless they add second screen features akin to the 3ds version which is highly unlikely, haven't wii u versions of batman games always perform worse than the others?

Not that this is UE3 Batman, but I think Blackgate was best on Wii U minus whatever DLC/Multi got dropped. This is a 3DS port so I imagine it's the same on everything but with Off-TV play. Plus DDP and eShop Card deals will soften the price. Just depends on if it's good enough to play, I've heard good things about the 3DS version so this interests me.

Bulzeeb

I thought origins was best on WiiU as far as bugs and tearing went?

I don't know about performance but the lack of the multiplayer mode and some dlc made it the incomplete version by default, anyways, if this port doesn't lack any feature I might be buying it for wii u even better if they add some dual screen feature but I doub it

I thought origins was best on WiiU as far as bugs and tearing went?

Maybe, but the framerate was horrible when navigating through the city. I found it to be unacceptable at times, so I traded it.

Might bite on this one if it's ported decently since I skipped it on 3DS.

On Demand

Banned
Rocksteady must be a little bothered by their game getting used up before they can release the Batman game they're working on. By the time it comes out people probably won't even care any more. Arkham City left us to look forward to what else they could come up with. Instead WB decides they can't wait and makes multiple games causing franchise fatigue.

SuomiDude

Arkham Origins is 14,99£ on Amazon UK for Wii U at least. I liked Arkham City, so it's tempting. This game not that much for that price, but maybe it goes down at some point as well.

Not that this is UE3 Batman, but I think Blackgate was best on Wii U minus whatever DLC/Multi got dropped. This is a 3DS port so I imagine it's the same on everything but with Off-TV play. Plus DDP and eShop Card deals will soften the price. Just depends on if it's good enough to play, I've heard good things about the 3DS version so this interests me.

true, but why dismiss pc too? Betting you probably will be able to get it on gmg for cheaper than consoles and will probably run the best (but this is a handheld port so i'd be quite disappoint if it ain't 60fps on all systems).

Ridley327

If the Wii U version has the map on the GamePad, that would be the version to get.

Yes, I keep coming into threads to bitch about how awful the map is, but it's really that bad.

I really enjoyed it on 3ds. I'll most likely pick this up when it comes out. While not perfect, it felt like 2D Metroid meets Batman. I managed to avoid any of the game breaking bugs so that was nice.

On the positive side, it's actually for Wii U.

That's refreshing after Origins DLC was cancelled for the platform.

On the negative side, it's not actually a retail release, so Warner Bros. doesn't really have much to lose as an eShop exclusive (smaller than a retail game so less porting costs, no burden of physical copies or physical retailers down your throat for their inability to shift copies, etc.)

marrec

Banned
Wow, I just finished up typing my review for the Vita version.

The game takes a while to find it's footing (mainly because of the awful map system and boring initial level traversal) but the boss fights are really inventive and the story is a solid Batman tale.

Armature deserves another crack at the formula I think.

Miletius

Interesting. Coincidentally I am playing through Origins right now and considered getting this for 3DS as a companion piece. It might be worth a purchase at 15, but I might also wait for a steam sale.

Glass Joe

Wii U? That's a surprise. I'll probably pick it up unless they bork it up. But with it being a handheld game up-ported, I would hope that much optimization would not be needed.

Kid Ying

On the positive side, it's actually for Wii U.

That's refreshing after Origins DLC was cancelled for the platform.

On the negative side, it's not actually a retail release, so Warner Bros. doesn't really have much to lose as an eShop exclusive (smaller than a retail game so less porting costs, no burden of physical copies or physical retailers down your throat for their inability to shift copies, etc.)
Yeah, but after they cancelled dlc, which hás the same advantages, im surptised were getting that. Anyway, i will probably get it on the wiiu. Why not. Its not like its very expensive after all.

Oregano

Maybe this is a sign that demand for DLC and Downloadable games aren't necessarily related. I mean there's been a few signs that eShop games do relatively well but nothing suggestion similar success for DLC.

Somnid

true, but why dismiss pc too? Betting you probably will be able to get it on gmg for cheaper than consoles and will probably run the best (but this is a handheld port so i'd be quite disappoint if it ain't 60fps on all systems).

No off-Monitor play would be a big one. Also, I've largely stopped buying Steam games recently since I just don't play them and they get buried in my collection, I probably have 50+ I haven't even installed. I don't even know what I have. I think a lot of it is due to context, as I'm distracted doing something else if I'm on my PC and never start up Steam.

Exile20

Can't this be applied to almost every game available on PC?

Anyway, Wii U version here if they don't cut anything.

Top Bottom