• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 - How good/bad is this game?

joe2187

Banned
Do NOT get me started on this one! Just the sound of Resident Evil 6, from its spooky font to its monstrous manual, is enough to chill one to the bone. Zombies abound in this action-packed shoot-em-up from legendary game producer Shotawa Kuzikawa. Do not play this alone. Do not play this in the dark. And whatever you do, do not play it with a real gun! This one is so immersive that you may find yourself seeing a (zombie?) shadow, picking up the nearest loaded gun, and firing his head off, only to find that it's your neighbor! It's a mistake we all will make in life. Live and learn.

uhhhh...

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
How'd you try to play an action game as something it's not? I'm genuinely curious :p

What's hilarious about the prologue is that it's not even how it goes in the game once you reach it in Leon's campaign.

It's really bizarre why they felt compelled to force people to go through it. It was so fucking pointless and it almost turned me off from the game.

It's funny you mention that because I am about an hour into Leon's campaign on youtube and nothing seems as over the top as the intro. I have no clue why that was included.

Manu

It's funny you mention that because I am about an hour into Leon's campaign on youtube and nothing seems as over the top as the intro. I have no clue why that was included.

Chapters 4 and 5 do reach that level of stupid. So do most of Chris and Jake's campaigns.

It's up to you to decide whether you thinks it's the good or the bad kind of stupid.

The story is as exciting as RE4/5 and the gameplay is more optimized towards action. What bummed me out was the lack customization as the previous.

joe2187

Banned
It's funny you mention that because I am about an hour into Leon's campaign on youtube and nothing seems as over the top as the intro.

iqPCho2PcbgYX.gif

An hour should be enough to have seen the first over-the-top moment, I think. I'm talking about the moment we realize Leon is the best driver in the RE universe:

Zombie on your hood, reaching into your window? Just flip the car over to get rid of it and watch the car burst into flame while you're still in there with your partner.

And then once you reach the town, watching all the ways the citizens die... I've said it before, but RE6 is a comedy goldmine. And even before you reach the town you get some more gold via the lady that has "...TO SAVE PETER!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!"

And then the chapter right after. With the bus. My god, the bus scenario.

RE6 was the funniest game of '13 but it was too busy taking itself seriously to notice.

Xpliskin

Do NOT get me started on this one! Just the sound of Resident Evil 6, from its spooky font to its monstrous manual, is enough to chill one to the bone. Zombies abound in this action-packed shoot-em-up from legendary game producer Shotawa Kuzikawa. Do not play this alone. Do not play this in the dark. And whatever you do, do not play it with a real gun! This one is so immersive that you may find yourself seeing a (zombie?) shadow, picking up the nearest loaded gun, and firing his head off, only to find that it's your neighbor! It's a mistake we all will make in life. Live and learn.

RRnhhqW.gif

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY SHIT LOL I can't stop laughing, now I just saw the train finally make it past him and he's still walking, but he decides to just move closer to the train, well within distance of it, too, and it cuts to the cutscene of him being hit by the train head on despite the train already moving past him. I can't take it.

I enjoyed it. It's a good example of how the vocal minority can ruin the overall image of a game. "It's not horror!" "Give us classic RE" and such.

HOLY SHIT LOL I can't stop laughing, now I just saw the train finally make it past him and he's still walking, but he decides to just move closer to the train, well within distance of it, too, and it cuts to the cutscene of him being hit by the train head on despite the train already moving past him. I can't take it.
Yup. It's moments like those that make playing this with a friend so much better. Both laughing like hyenas, etc. "WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?"

I have tons of great moments with my friend and this game, and a lot are through deaths. So good.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. It's moments like those that make playing this with a friend so much better. Both laughing like hyenas, etc. "WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?"

I have tons of great moments with my friend and this game, and a lot are through deaths. So good.

Now I feel like getting the game just to do it myself, but only if it's five bucks. haha

joe2187

Banned

One of my favorite moments in replaying RE5 with a friends was how one of us kept fucking up the QTE's during the Wesker fight in the stealth jet.

Se we watched wesker repeat "COMPLETE GLOBAL SATURATION...SSSSSHUUU" Line over and over again, while chris got his neck snapped like 15 times.

I nearly pissed myself.

Whompa

Right, if you want a high score in that specific mode--not overall. Like I said, once people discover the best way to do something [in a mode], they'll just keep doing it. That in itself is incremental fun for them if they're the type to be score-obsessed. The nature of most score-based games is like this, really.

I wish I had my Onslaught Mode Catacombs match I love so much to show you that these faults of yours don't apply for the whole game, but Twitch can't find it and I never uploaded it to YouTube QQ

That's not a sign of good game design. A game gives you tons of options to dispose a zombie, but there's no reason to use any of them except for hitting a QTE.

A+ thank you for this lol.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That's not a sign of good game design. A game gives you tons of options to dispose a zombie, but there's no reason to use any of them except for hitting a QTE.

Oh please. People will spam whatever they can for high scores no matter what game it is. Ever play fighting games? This is so common it's ridiculous. How did we kill the zombies from Re1-CV? The only thing you could do was shoot them. Was that bad design?

I swear, people just try to shit on this game by any means but ironically, it still sold a lot, and it still has fans.

Re6 isn't perfect, but whining about its gameplay is one of the biggest wtf aspects anyone can try.

It's not a sign of bad game design, either. Again, "player conformity" is what I'm getting from this "because it gives you the best score." Anyone interested in achieving the best score will read up/watch videos for this and mimic what they see. Personally, I got curious once and gave it a shot, but it wasn't fun for me. Yeah, I do use counters, but not for every single enemy. Is my opinion obsolete because I don't play Mercenaries the way you think it should be played? e. g. for the best score and not for fun and in a restrictive manner?

Also, in my last posts I'm ultimately saying the gameplay/mechanics are good because they lend themselves to multiple game modes and play styles, not just Mercenaries. You just seem to be concentrating on Mercenaries and a play style that's usually used by pros--for lack of a better term--and the ones trying to dip their toes into leaderboard fame, and using that as a basis for why the overall gameplay is bad, thus making the whole game bad. That's what I'm getting from what you've said before and now.

Camwi

Rather than creating a new thread, I'll just bump this one to let off some steam.

Fuck this game. Just played through Leon's campaign and almost to the end of Chris's campaign, right up to what I'm assuming is the last boss fight, and just said "fuck it." That is one of the worst designed boss fights I've ever played, and so far this game is full of shitty boss fights, but this one takes the cake.

There are some fun elements in the game, and the storyline was interesting enough for a RE game, but there are so many bad and/or glitchy moments that just ruin everything for me.

RE4 is my favorite action game of all time, and I'm one of those people that actually enjoyed RE5, but this one was just generally designed like crap.

daftstar

I finally got around to playing this game on PC and apart from a few frustrations (including Chris' final boss fight and Jake's snowmobile escape), I had a blast. I played every chapter in the order someone else on Steam recommended and the way the plot-lines intertwined was actually fun and engaging imo. Had a grin on my face when Chris and Leon meet up and the cliffhanger where Leon is in Hong Kong? when it's bombed with the virus.

Wasn't bored throughout everyone's entire campaign and surprisingly was itching to get back to it. Gonna start Ada's tonight though.

I understand why ppl give it a bad rap cause it doesn't feel like an RE game but cot damn it's a solid action-TPS.

TheBear

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this game so I've gone into it with an open mind. Started playing the jake/sherry campaign.
It's. fucking. Terrible. Some of the gameplay is just horrendous. The snowstorm section comes to mind.
Is the whole game like this? Is it worth persisting?

Alvarez

Banned
It's exactly the same as RE4 and RE5, but with about 400% more QTEs.

In before 50 (completely wrong) responses freaking out about how RE4 is nothing like RE5 or RE6.

If you liked RE4 you'll like 6. If you think you like RE4 because you played it as a child/teen and have good (false: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_effect) memories associated with it but you don't really like it anymore despite your desperate need to hold onto times that you incorrectly believe were "better", then you won't like RE6.

Jigorath

Banned
I thought it was terrible, a huge step down from 4 and 5. It's desperately trying to be this epic action game but it falls flat thanks to awful controls and mediocre gameplay mechanics. It just makes you wish you were playing a better 3rd person shooter like Gears of War or Vanquish. The story reads like an awful fan fiction that makes no sense. The characters are annoying and the game has like 4 campaigns so it never ends. Gameplay wise the campaigns are all exactly the same so it just feels like you're playing the same game over and over again. The graphics are also pretty bad, it somehow looks worse than RE5. I don't even know Capcom managed that. Some of the archaic design decisions are just baffling, it has unskippable cutscenes and invisible walls. In the year 2012. And I hope you really enjoy the final boss, because you get to fight him 800 million times.

People that say Resident Evil 6 has poor gameplay mechanics should watch some videos of the mercenaries mode to see what can be done. Absolutely incredible how the systems work together given the complexity. I would argue the campaigns make creative use of them as well at times but I can understand how one wouldn't be a fan of the scattershot weirdness. Then again the game literally explains NONE of its combat mechanics(ie, stun locks, rolling, sliding, counters, etc) so one can't be too harsh.

Still, with the presence of the mercs and the best combat engine in any TPS it's a pretty great package. Really wish people would bother to look into how the systems work rather than crying "meh gears knock off lol" About as laughable as calling a platinum game or Monster Hunter button mashers.

It's exactly the same as RE4 and RE5, but with about 400% more QTEs.

In before 50 (completely wrong) responses freaking out about how RE4 is nothing like RE5 or RE6.

If you liked RE4 you'll like 6. If you think you like RE4 because you played it as a child/teen and have good (false: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_effect) memories associated with it but you don't really like it anymore despite your desperate need to hold onto times that you incorrectly believe were "better", then you won't like RE6.

This has to be one of the shittiest posts above 140 characters I've seen here lately.

But hey, anyone who disagrees is only freaking out and harboring false memories from their childhood, amirite?

Wait, why am I responding to this bait?

For the topic on hand for people still looking for grounded, non-inflammatory opinions:

Resident Evil 6 is a mixed bag. I ended up playing it all the way through, all campaigns, and played a bit of co-op and Mercenaries mode, so everything is coming from a mostly complete experience.

The controls surprisingly are among some of the best among TPS. Fast, responsive, and versatile. A really good player can be an absolute monster in combat. The issues with this, IMO, outweigh the positives though. First, the game doesn't explain most of these elements to the player, relying on the player to recognize what they may have accidentally pulled off in order to recreate such action.

The other and most damning issue in regards to the controls is that the control actions do not sync well with the rest of the game. Most of the time in the campaign, the player doesn't have the room or FOV to be pulling off the ridiculous acrobatics, and when they do it's hardly to never necessary. Hell, there are quite a few points in the game where it restricts your movement to force the atmosphere on you since flipping around like a ninja-Geralt would break the 'immersion'. The environments, enemies, and even the narrative elements seem so oblivious to the gameplay itself that the overall game feels like it was made by two, entirely different teams. The best analogy (danger zone, I know) I can think up is having the controls of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in MGS3: Snake Eater. Sure, it works and can be fun, but it's extremely unnecessary and the rest of the game would antagonize that style.

Mercenaries mode is where the gameplay becomes a highlight. While I didn't care for how Mercs is structured in RE6, the gameplay is paramount and seems made for achieving success in this game mode. If you enjoy Mercs and are able to grasp all the abilities available to the player, RE6 might be worth at least a second look in that area.

The level/XP system is another curiosity that, while it works, is a poor attempt to balance out the movement and capabilities of the player to the rest of the game, as well as give some 'realism' to aspects such as aiming that the rest of the game (including whoever designed the control and action scheme for the player) didn't get the memo for.

Enemies in the game are deliciously animated and designed well. They are also very aggressive, a welcome change from the [possibly intentional] flawed A.I. of Resident Evil 5. The minion enemies work well for the most part, with the bosses being the unfortunate weak point.

Finally, the last criticism that comes into play regarding the game as itself is the story. What begins as promising across all the campaigns devolves quickly into nonsense that makes little sense and, worst of all, takes itself seriously in its execution despite achieving hardly anything of the sort. Not everything is terrible. Some of the Jake and Sherry exchanges, elements of Leon's campaign, and a particular standout moment from Chris' work very well and could possibly be narrative highlights from the overall series. But this does little to offset what is a . Someone who perhaps enjoys the more ludicrous elements of the series that were meant to be serious (Tornado-Wesker, minion Jill, faux-Marcus, Alexia, punching boulders, etc), or doesn't mind a healthy dose of Final Fantasy/JRPG in their Resident Evil will probably enjoy the story, but there isn't much here for anyone else. Anyone who wants a return to a RE that's at least touching the ground or an intentionally over-the-top RE like 4 isn't going to get much from this experience.

In a word, Resident Evil 6 is disjointed. Imagine playing Resident Evil 4 and coming to that transition between the castle and the island stages, where it feels like stepping into a different and lesser variation of the game. Now imagine doing that with nearly everything you do while playing the game. That is Resident Evil 6.

Alvarez

Banned
But hey, anyone who disagrees is only freaking out and harboring false memories from their childhood, amirite?

Yes.

Feel free to supply reasoning to the contrary. I'd love a list of what is so different between RE4, 5, and 6 other than omg he punched a rock and it's not as scary as it was when I was thirteen.

But be careful: I'm one of those weird people who has actually played RE4, 5, and 6 within the last six months. My perception of these games is going to be a little sharper than someone who hasn't played RE4 in nine years, so don't bother bringing up bullet points if you're not 100% sure they're actually valid.

And no, your memory is not even a good source to begin this debate from: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140127093027.htm

Don't even get me started on how biased one can become merely by perusing websites such as NeoGAF, which inevitably influence your opinion about a range of things. You may think that you are immune to being affected by others' opinions, but you're not--because you're human. If I say, "RE6's story is SO stupid you won't believe it!", you will spend--consciously or not--much of the game over-analyzing the story, expecting it to be stupid. It's the human condition and none of us are free from it.

It's got some hilariously bad design decisions, but is still pretty fun. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the feedback/reviews would have you believe. Just treat is a big-budget b-movie action game. Completely dumb and illogical, but still has its positive aspects.

Sojgat

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about this game so I've gone into it with an open mind. Started playing the jake/sherry campaign.
It's. fucking. Terrible. Some of the gameplay is just horrendous. The snowstorm section comes to mind.
Is the whole game like this? Is it worth persisting?

No, the quality of the campaigns varies wildly from chapter to chapter. You've started the worst possible way IMO. Jake's campaign is frontloaded with awful crap (snowstorm, chase and stealth sequences, unkillable enemy). When you're experienced with the combat mechanics, even some of the really bad sections are tolerable, since you can breeze through them so quickly. Not so with the first few chapters of Jake's campaign, they are always a slog due to the endless setpieces.

Hanmik

I completed this game on PS3 last week.. I had a lot of fun.. story is ok, but could be alot better. I liked the 4 different scenarios, gave me a "Jackie Brown" kind of feeling.
The gameplay is really good.. although I hated the QTE, and I hate playing games on a difficulty lower than Normal, so I had to do the QTE sections (I know they are disabled in Amateur).
And what other games has trains, planes, helicopters, bikes, cars, snowmobiles, boats etc. that crash and explode every other minute.. lol that story.

It´s not my fav Resident Evil game, but I had a lot of fun. I can understand why some people would hate it,

Alvarez

Banned
No, the quality of the campaigns varies wildly from chapter to chapter. You've started the worst possible way IMO. Jake's campaign is frontloaded with awful crap (snowstorm, chase and stealth sequences, unkillable enemy). When you're experienced with the combat mechanics, even some of the really bad sections are tolerable, since you can breeze through them so quickly. Not so with the first few chapters of Jake's campaign, they are always a slog due to the endless setpieces.

I could be wrong, but I felt like the campaigns were sorted by difficulty. Easiest to hardest: Leon > Chris > Jake > Chick with the crossbow (forgot her name)

Leon's is very linear, humorous, cheesy, RE2 scary castle and undead-themed, and filled to the brim with QTEs. Chris' is extremely action-packed and pretty much a military corridor shooter. Jake's is supposed to be the "scary" campaign. Crossbow chick's campaign includes puzzles, timed parts, stealth parts, unusually few save areas, and limited combat options that make it harder than the other campaigns.

kmax

It's so convoluted and terrible it makes my head spin. The multiple story lines are all over the place, the mechanics are bad, the horror takes a back seat in favor for the action elements.

It's an unstructured, convoluted mess. It's dog shit.

Resident Evil 6 is fun because gives you a lot of freedom by arming you with many various, cool skills - sliding into enemies, rolling, shooting from the floor, quickshots, melee attacks, coup de grâce, counters, cover system (that should be used to regain stamina, not to act defensive), etc. - and limits it only with ammo count and stamina. There's a lot of creativity involved and acting bravely is rewarded.

Too bad that the campaign - despite having some amazing moments - also has too many moments which don't take advantage of this wonderful combat system. All these crap setpieces make people say you should just play Mercenaries, which is of course mighty fun, but not as good as campaign at its best despite being much, much more consistent.

I really wish they polished up controls a bit and made a pure combat game based on that design. It's just too good to be wasted, no matter what people whose only argument is "it's dogshit" tell you.

Even as just another TPS and not a horror game, I found it to be immensely boring. Its sense of pacing just feels really off to me. There are certain sections in the game (in every campaign, mind you) that just drag on to an unbelievable degree. Leon's is still the most well-designed campaign by far and even that one
has the catacombs

That said, the PC port with all the patches does alleviate a lot of the core gameplay frustration, though. It has actually made the game very playable and the mechanics themselves are spot-on for the most part.

Jesus tittyfucking christ.

RE4, RE5 and RE6 are all different from each other in a large number of ways. Even if they were mechanically identical, which they're clearly not, they don't have identical pacing, they don't have the same overall design, and they don't have precisely the same atmosphere. The weapons aren't the same, the enemies aren't the same, the bosses aren't the same. They are, as you might say "not the same games". For this reason, it is entirely possible, I assure you, that somebody could like or dislike any combination of those three games independently of the other ones, and for a number of reasons that aren't "they can't remember that they secretly don't like RE4". You've successfully managed to state your opinions here in the single most condescending and dismissive way possible.

I thought you should know that I'm currently going through your recent post history to work out just how long of a ban you'll be getting for this nonsense.

altez

Neo Member
I can't be the only one who realizes that the story of Resident Evil 5 and 6 are just the gradual progression of events that happened in previous Resident Evils right? I mean, the attempts at organizations and super mutant dudes (Wesker, whoever main bad is for the game.) are constantly getting thwarted but a few human beings. Their entire apocalypses getting brought down by a single man or woman or a small team, I mean a single human being killing 100+ biologically engineered monstrosities in a span of two days and it's crazy to think they stepped up their game?

These games even since the first Resident Evil aren't some artistic masterpieces that painted beautiful strokes of horror over a canvas of amazing story and layered with great gameplay. The storylines have always been cheesy, the characters mostly one dimensional, the villains extremely absurd and the horror/gameplay entertaining. There have been so many whys and wtfs throughout the entire history of this game, yet the latest adventures (RE5 & RE6) are held to some new high standard and their bullshit (Strong word, bullshit should be absurdity.) is unacceptable?

Where could these games have progressed naturally? These people are expert mutant mass murdering machines who in their first encounters with these threats prevented catastrophes every time.

And why is RE4 so much better than RE5 - RE6? RE6 was very little on the puzzles but outside of one or two actual difficult puzzle in RE4 they were mostly time sinks. RE5 & RE6's controls are a big step up from RE4 and the environments are pretty varied in all of the games. Guns are upgradeable all the same, monsters get just as ridiculous in each game. Each game has ridiculous story elements, Leon's absurd love/compassion for ada even though they've exchanged strictly superficial encounters in the second game. Why they only sent one agent to deal with the presidents daughter getting kidnapped in the first place? Why would they send him armed with solely a pistol when a foreign potential terrorist group has KIDNAPPED THE PRESIDENT'S DAUGHTER.

There are parts of the recipe that differ in each game but they aren't so different that they can't be appreciated for the Resident Evil games that they are.

I'm ranting too much. RE6 is a perfectly good game and is a lot of fun to play, its controls are a great evolution in the TPS genre, the gunplay is really satisfying and the voice actors are pretty fun to hear in the situations they're put in. I enjoyed the game a lot, and potentially more than any previous resident evil due to co-op.

( Edit: My experiences with RE6 were post-patch on PC, so I can't vouch for launch RE6. I hear it was terrible and buggy. And I gave a little less credit to RE4 when you were in the cage dealing with the BoW trying to run around while it kept dropping. That was pretty great.)

Yes.

Feel free to supply reasoning to the contrary. I'd love a list of what is so different between RE4, 5, and 6 other than omg he punched a rock and it's not as scary as it was when I was thirteen.

But be careful: I'm one of those weird people who has actually played RE4, 5, and 6 within the last six months. My perception of these games is going to be a little sharper than someone who hasn't played RE4 in nine years, so don't bother bringing up bullet points if you're not 100% sure they're actually valid.

And no, your memory is not even a good source to begin this debate from: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140127093027.htm

Don't even get me started on how biased one can become merely by perusing websites such as NeoGAF, which inevitably influence your opinion about a range of things. You may think that you are immune to being affected by others' opinions, but you're not--because you're human. If I say, "RE6's story is SO stupid you won't believe it!", you will spend--consciously or not--much of the game over-analyzing the story, expecting it to be stupid. It's the human condition and none of us are free from it.

Really, I need to be careful? I need to be careful about someone who, just because they picked up Psychology 101 terminology, feels that everyone who doesn't agree with him/her is having some form of fit or are subjects of reformatted memory. Which somehow you're immune to within that 6 months space (that isn't how it works).

Psychology and physiology have been my studies for past six years. I may not actively work in labs or courts anymore, but it's still my field. Using a rather common term isn't going to make me yield to your, and is nothing more, opinion. I do find it ironic that your behavior is indicative of someone attempting to cultivate their confirmation bias upon others. That's another 101 term you also may have probably picked up on and are familiar with, though I've found it commonly used, often misused, in online arguments to where you've likely had plenty of exposure to it.

I'm also one of those weird people who, at least attempts to, annually play the majority of mainline Resident Evil and Dino Crisis titles, the exceptions being Code Veronica X and Dino Crisis 3, neither of which I own anymore.

So...why do I have to be careful? Anyway, I'll give my opinion on RE4 and RE5 as best I can with my reformatted mind taken into consideration.

Resident Evil 4 worked overall as a whole. As a Resident Evil game it had more shortcomings than when viewed as its own game, sadly something RE6 can hardly attest to.
  • The controls, while largely the same as previous entries, worked well. This is due to the enemies, environment, and overall gameplay largely taking the possible actions of the player and their viewpoint into consideration.
  • As said in my previous post, this breaks down a bit in the final stage of the game, where the player isn't necessarily suited to be avoiding gunfire and dealing with the faster, more aggressive A.I. seen in the stun-baton soldier Ganados.
  • The game isn't the mindless arcade shooter many have equated it to be, at least on the first run where the player's weapons are at their basic forms and some gameplay elements may not be forefront in their minds. Many people are now aware that the knife is a rather powerful tool early on in the game for example. Successive playthroughs, given the nature of carrying over equipment and the unlocking of powerful, infinite round weapons, trivialize what is initially a balanced experience.
  • Story-wise, the game is one of the most ludicrous of all the RE titles with its own holes and head shaking instances. What sets it apart from the B-film nature of the original titles and the far-reaching heights of 5 and 6 is that the game has a sense of self identity. It [the developers of the game] knows it's not serious and doesn't make any attempts to being anything but a series of cheesy line deliveries.
  • Finally yes, this game has a superior atmosphere and polish to it. Everything in the game feels cohesive to the whole of its parts. While it isn't anything like the vulnerability and suspenseful nature of REmake, the game kills in atmosphere in regards to most of what else was out there in the industry and what followed in the series. Examples: Village (mob and night), Garrador, Regenerators, dank and putrid interior of some of the Island fortress structures, Verdugo, the maze, and the nighttime aftermath of the salamander battle.

RE5:

• To get this out of the way, it and RE4 are very similar in controls and gameplay. However, that is where the familiarty ends.
  • Every time playing RE5, I didn't get the sense that the game was self identifying with its delivery in the campaign. Jill being mind controlled through the chest inhibitor piece, Wesker's increasingly crazed nature, the behavior of Wesker's associates, Wesker's final form, and yes Chris punching boulders. To be fair, these instances aren't overbearing occurances to the whole of the game, but the fact that much of it deals with the culminating image of these characters and narrative elements leave the lasting impression and are the endgoal of the story. Another note I would like to make that while there is a lot of argument that the gameplay is becoming 'westernized' in these games (because guns/over the shoulder=west), the elements in the story are becoming increasingly alike to many JRPGs and anime.
  • The enemy A.I., apart from the endgame Reapers, seem to have an odd issue where their attacks are delayed to even 2 seconds, more than enough time to avoid them. This is most apparent with this game's variation of the chainsaw ganado, though that changes if a player has the misfortune of activating its crazed state.
  • While visually a pretty game, there's no real weight or atmosphere to it. Darks and shadows in the game have a saturated look to them, just looking like light shade even in the deepest of interiors (exception being the Gigante boss battle where it doesn't matter much).
  • Two major positives though are the co-op and the lore building. Like RE6, the game is better experienced with co-op, which is handled very well in both games and probably where most of the balance and polish had been given focus. As for the lore building, this is where RE5 supersedes both RE4 and RE6, which is odd given that lore is dropped or given less focus to following the initial title as evidenced by Dead Space and Mass Effect from this past generation.

So there you have it. I have other issues with all three, but they are largely nitpicks as a RE fan since Nemesis on the PSOne which aren't really indicative of the quality of the games themselves.

Overall, it's my opinion that RE4 is superior through the sum of its parts, even if RE5 and RE6 have made improvements/additions in some areas (while tripping up in others). RE5 isn't a bad game, and not a terrible RE game, but it's a poor attempt at trying to capture the essence of RE4 while having co-op as its saving grace. RE6 is a rather poor game as it's just a mess at nearly every standpoint in some fashion or another. I'm sure I might have missed a few elements, but I'm not going to try and risk imposing my reformatted mind by accidentally making false memories (those psych terms) of things I'm not 100% sure of.

So there's my opinion. You can have yours as well and discuss the fine points, that's not my issue. It's when someone who has to be an elitist thinking they can brush everyone's opinion as wrong because everyone but themselves is suffering from the first psychology term he/she can muster up is what I have a problem with.

Edit: And yes, I do realize my story arguments for 5 and 6 are largely subjective. If someone likes the over the top nature of 4-6, than of course that won't be an issue. I just think things have gotten too stretched out and a bit too high in the sky for me to personally enjoy anymore. There are enough MGS and Final Fantasies out there to suit the need for a healthy dose of confused crazy.

Here is my RE6 impressions so it's in one place:
Resident Evil 6 is a mixed bag. I ended up playing it all the way through, all campaigns, and played a bit of co-op and Mercenaries mode, so everything is coming from a mostly complete experience.

The controls surprisingly are among some of the best among TPS. Fast, responsive, and versatile. A really good player can be an absolute monster in combat. The issues with this, IMO, outweigh the positives though. First, the game doesn't explain most of these elements to the player, relying on the player to recognize what they may have accidentally pulled off in order to recreate such action.

The other and most damning issue in regards to the controls is that the control actions do not sync well with the rest of the game. Most of the time in the campaign, the player doesn't have the room or FOV to be pulling off the ridiculous acrobatics, and when they do it's hardly to never necessary. Hell, there are quite a few points in the game where it restricts your movement to force the atmosphere on you since flipping around like a ninja-Geralt would break the 'immersion'. The environments, enemies, and even the narrative elements seem so oblivious to the gameplay itself that the overall game feels like it was made by two, entirely different teams. The best analogy (danger zone, I know) I can think up is having the controls of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in MGS3: Snake Eater. Sure, it works and can be fun, but it's extremely unnecessary and the rest of the game would antagonize that style.

Mercenaries mode is where the gameplay becomes a highlight. While I didn't care for how Mercs is structured in RE6, the gameplay is paramount and seems made for achieving success in this game mode. If you enjoy Mercs and are able to grasp all the abilities available to the player, RE6 might be worth at least a second look in that area.

The level/XP system is another curiosity that, while it works, is a poor attempt to balance out the movement and capabilities of the player to the rest of the game, as well as give some 'realism' to aspects such as aiming that the rest of the game (including whoever designed the control and action scheme for the player) didn't get the memo for.

Enemies in the game are deliciously animated and designed well. They are also very aggressive, a welcome change from the [possibly intentional] flawed A.I. of Resident Evil 5. The minion enemies work well for the most part, with the bosses being the unfortunate weak point.

Finally, the last criticism that comes into play regarding the game as itself is the story. What begins as promising across all the campaigns devolves quickly into nonsense that makes little sense and, worst of all, takes itself seriously in its execution despite achieving hardly anything of the sort. Not everything is terrible. Some of the Jake and Sherry exchanges, elements of Leon's campaign, and a particular standout moment from Chris' work very well and could possibly be narrative highlights from the overall series. But this does little to offset what is an overall mess. Someone who perhaps enjoys the more ludicrous elements of the series that were meant to be serious (Tornado-Wesker, minion Jill, faux-Marcus, Alexia, punching boulders, etc), or doesn't mind a healthy dose of Final Fantasy/JRPG in their Resident Evil will probably enjoy the story, but there isn't much here for anyone else. Anyone who wants a return to a RE that's at least touching the ground or an intentionally over-the-top RE like 4 isn't going to get much from this experience.

In a word, Resident Evil 6 is disjointed. Imagine playing Resident Evil 4 and coming to that transition between the castle and the island stages, where it feels like stepping into a different and lesser variation of the game. Now imagine doing that with nearly everything you do while playing the game. That is Resident Evil 6.

Kagutaba

Resident Evil 6 is basically a good version of Uncharted 3; it still got the focus on awful set-pieces and nonsense story, but Resident Evil 6 actually makes up for it with great TPS mechanics.

Top Bottom