• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism and Confirmation Bias

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this just went down in the Titanfall Launch Trailer thread.

User Wotta comes in and tells people to please not be excited about the game. Then TheOddOne comes in with this post.

#1: We have had the value debate already and some good arguments were brought up.
#2: You have been totally obnoxious about the issue in multiple threads.

I could go on, but all the above from a game journalist?

C'mon dude. C'MON.

And Wotta has the nerve to post the following:

Way to take someone's quotes out of context.

You can say what you like about me, I really don't care but here's the truth:

1) I enjoyed the beta but am worried by the lack of official info about what's on the disc
2) I'm completely honest in everything I write, if I do review Titanfall it'll be a completely unbiased review, I've no reason to hate any game despite what fanboys think
3) I've think the fact that I 'm a journalist who works for a retailer and am expressing my fears proves how honest I am, I'm sure my boss would rather I praise every game but that is not me
4) anyone who follows me on twitter knows I like to joke around a lot, so I make the odd comment in the heat of the moment, so what? Who doesn't, I'm pretty sure I could go through gaf and burn everyone.

I'm happy that I'm 100 percent honest, I've no fears as to my integrity, anyone who asks me to review a game or give my opinion on one will get nothing but the truth. You may not like my opinion but that's not gonna stop me from giving it.

Yes, he says he enjoyed the beta. Despite this gem right here:

He also says that he's completely unbiased, despite the fact that a tiny bit later he posts the following:

Because they don't want me to be right that's why.

I love gaming just as much or maybe more than anyone here, I live it my working day and when I'm finished work too. But I wouldn't be doing my job properly if I didn't have my doubts.

So here we have a games journalist who already believes that he is right and is unwilling to recognize that bias. This makes me curious, how often do such so-called journalists let their preconceptions of a game and the desire to be "right" about those preconceptions ultimately color the material they produce?

In my opinion, it is worthless to say that one writes without a bias. It is a lie. Everyone has a bias. Is it not better to acknowledge that bias to your readers up front so that they are at least given a more informed understanding of what they are to consume?

EDIT: This is not about having opinions, this is about failing to acknowledge outside factors which may inform said opinion.

Abriael

Banned
So lemme understand. Game journos aren't entitled to an opinion 'round here without being accused to be biased?

You forgot the pitchfork in the barn.

Believing gaming "journalism" is held to some critical standard is what you're failing to realize

Bias is always there in reviews and coverage but in gaming it's just not even bothered to be covered up

Spinningobvlion.jpg

The guy has doubts about Titanfall. I do too even after having played the beta.

Are we not entitled to opinions now or something? This is stupid witch hunting because someone doesn't like a game. Grow up.

Card Boy

Banned
I always thought it was pretty scummy to do this to people, It doesn't sit well with me. How you like it if people went through your post history and did the same to you?

jholmes

Not saying we shouldn't hold games journalism to a high standard, but are you sure you're not just upset that someone who says he's a game journalist also says he doesn't like a game that you do?

By all means, if I'm missing something, let me know, but it seems like he just doesn't like the game, which is of course his right.

legend166

Wait, what's wrong with what he said in that last post?

"Others will enjoy it, but not really my thing" is a perfectly legitimate viewpoint to have.

hawk2025

As ridiculous as that sequence of posts may or may not be, he's posting here as a general user with opinions.

I don't see the need for the character assassination and making it look like something larger than it actually is.

I feel like I'm missing something here -- what is your point, precisely?

Neiteio

*Neiteio walks into the room*

*He stops to survey his surroundings*

*He stretches his arms skyward*

"A review," he proclaims, "is an opinion with an explanation."

*Neiteio drops his arms and walks out to stunned silence*

Narrator (Morgan Freeman): "And with that, GAF finally knew peace."

McDougles

Are you seriously equating forum drama to a greater overall problem with games journalism and confirmation bias?

LOL!

Not to say it doesn't exist, but that's a fucking shit reason, there.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I agree with his opinions regarding TF (and I too played the beta on PC). But with that being said, gaming "journalism" (I refuse to ever have it not in quotes) as a whole is a joke (as is most internet journalism, but that's for another debate).

So the point is don't be surprised when you see blatant favoritism and cherry-picking of facts in gaming "journalism." To not see it is very much the exception, not the rule.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This seems more like a callout of a GAF poster you think is dumb as opposed to an indictment of games journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom