• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 is on the way

Tyrax

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/441352236720222208

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

No information yet, waiting for GDC on March 20th. Seems mobile related with Qualcomm Snapdragon on the list of logos.
I'd love to see something standardized for PhysX, and a common platform for something like GSYNC on tablet and mobile devices where there is a built in display.

What would you like to see?

Here are some quotes from the DirectX and OpenGL presentations that will take place in GDC 2014:

“In this session we will discuss future improvements in Direct3D that will allow developers an unprecedented level of hardware control and reduced CPU rendering overhead across a broad ecosystem of hardware.”

“For nearly 20 years, DirectX has been the platform used by game developers to create the fastest, most visually impressive games on the planet.

However, you asked us to do more. You asked us to bring you even closer to the metal and to do so on an unparalleled assortment of hardware. You also asked us for better tools so that you can squeeze every last drop of performance out of your PC, tablet, phone and console.”

“Driver overhead has been a frustrating reality for game developers for the entire life of the PC game industry. On desktop systems, driver overhead can decrease frame rate, while on mobile devices driver overhead is more insidious–robbing both battery life and frame rate. In this unprecedented sponsored session, Graham Sellers (AMD), Tim Foley (Intel), Cass Everitt (NVIDIA) and John McDonald (NVIDIA) will present high-level concepts available in today’s OpenGL implementations that radically reduce driver overhead–by up to 10x or more. The techniques presented will apply to all major vendors and are suitable for use across multiple platforms. Additionally, they will demonstrate practical demos of the techniques in action in an extensible, open source comparison framework.”

Looks like our own Dictator93 is on top of this.

Kudos to NeoGAF’s member ‘Dictator93′ for spotting them.

----------------------------------------------------------

Found Dictator93's original thread, well atleast now we have an announcement and a date

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77521

Sometimes you have to upgrade your operating system. Welcome to PC gaming.

You honestly really don't... developers take a long time to adopt higher directX versions especially if it alienates most of their possible gamer base, so even if dx12 comes out, nothing will use it for a long time. (Not to mention the time it takes for compliant hardware to come out)

Gav47

I'll upgrade when Win 9 comes, thanks.

Don't you know the Windows release patterns? Every other version is a good version?

Well seeing as Microsoft is moving to a faster release shecule for its desktop os you won't have wait long.

I can see this being a Win 9 exclusive when it ships next year.

iavi

It'll be interesting to see how DX12 maintains the idea of low-level access while supporting all the hardware that DX does.

Nzyme32

If it's exclusive to Windows 9 or 8.1, now would be a nice time for a mass adoption and updating of OpenGL pretty please

nikos

I don't understand why so many people have a problem with Windows 8. It functions just like Windows 7. You can pretty much use it without ever seeing metro if you wanted to.

That being said, I'm looking forward to what DX12 brings.

Blizzard

Banned
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/441352236720222208

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/p/directx12.aspx

No information yet, waiting for GDC on March 20th. Seems mobile related with Qualcomm Snapdragon on the list of logos.
I'd love to see something standardized for PhysX, and a common platform for something like GSYNC on tablet and mobile devices where there is a built in display.

What would you like to see?
Rather than something standardized for PhysX, I'd rather see a physics API that supports both AMD and nVidia cards.

I'd also like to see Windows 7 support.

I must be one of the few that actually likes windows 8. I like windows 7 as well. I've grown used to 8 though since I use it at work on a daily basis.

Would be interesting to see if anything xbox related can be used

Vitet

Make it exclusive to Win8.1
Call Win8.1 = Win9

And everybody is happy

lolololololololololol

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm surprised that hardcore gamers who are all about performance over anything seem to hate windows 8. Once I saw how damn fast windows 8 rebooted i could never go back to win 7. Metro or no Metro. Also Windows refresh will save you more than once!

Dryk

I don't understand why so many people have a problem with Windows 8. It functions just like Windows 7. You can pretty much use it without ever seeing metro if you wanted to.
Windows 7 already functions like Windows 7 with less time and money invested

iavi

Aren't developers supposed to switch to Mantle anyway? DirectX 12 seems redundant

What? No. I give AMD credit for being the first major player to publicly push for a lower-level API, but business is business and they worked Mantle for themselves and their hardware first and foremost. They can preach the idea that Nvidia, their competitor, could adapt to their api if wanted, but that's entertaining the idea that Nvidia would ever even entertain the idea of commiting to something so AMD designed--all in all, AMD was spouting bullshit.

The sector's much better for OpenGL/DirectX adapting the benefits of Mantle, but without the specifics.

I'm surprised that hardcore gamers who are all about performance over anything seem to hate windows 8. Once I saw how damn fast windows 8 rebooted i could never go back to win 7. Metro or no Metro. Also Windows refresh will save you more than once!

Windows refresh is great.

I helped a friend rebuild a gaming machine that had windows 8 on it and pretty much stripped everything away and put in new components and windows 8 didn't even have one hiccup. It took like 10 minutes to configure the new hardware and was done like nothing changed. I was pretty impressed.

gruenel

Saving 5 seconds a day probably isn't that big of a deal to most people.

Keyouta

Same, zero interest in that garbage new interface.

You realize you can set it to boot to desktop and pin all your desktop programs to start, right? Search is still there too.

Anyway, with DX12 I want to see low-level api, similar to AMD's Mantle, to allow it to take better advantage of the CPUs and GPUs.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hopefully it addresses AMD's Mantle, and they try to give devs a concrete reason to actually use DX12.

Windows 8 hate thread? It's like people have never heard of Start8.

epmode

You realize you can set it to boot to desktop and pin all your desktop programs to start, right? Search is still there too.

Great. I'll just buy a new OS for an imperceptible performance increase and an approximation of Windows 7's interface.

I use W8 at work. It's not awful or anything but there's 0 reason to upgrade. ..which is why Microsoft will prevent W7 compatibility, not for a legitimate technical reason.

Top Bottom