• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Officially Revealed!!

Raptor

they watch the most complicated gore system in gaming—a gore system they've been building for Killing Floor 2 for the past two years—eviscerate the zed in a way they've never quite seen before.

v05ALWE.jpg

SparkTR

The gore system plus the ~240fps gun animations make me insanely excited for the slo-mo sections. They know exactly why people loved the first one.

KaiserBecks

I like Tripwire very much. After RO2 (which I pre-purchased in order to get into the Beta), I was hesitant about supporting their next game day 1 though.
It was released too early, but it was sort of obvious they had to do it because they simply couldn't afford another delay. I guess Early Access could help with that. I'm still not entirely sold on this, but mentioning "Soldier of Fortune" sure does help.

Azar

Hey all, Wes from PC Gamer here. Let me know if you have any questions about the game I didn't answer in the article. If I know the answer from the time I spent at Tripwire, I'll do my best to respond!

Ark

Yessss please! Loved playing the first one and will definitely jump on a sequel if it looks as good. I might have yo reinstall Killing Floor now..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess this means RO2/RS support is done?

In any case, if they can fix some of the jank their previous titles had (probably due to Unreal Engine?) I'm down for KF2.

Azar

Is it just me, or does MEAT standing for Massive Evisceration and Trauma give off really strong '90s advertising vibes? I can't think of any games off the top of my head, but I seem to recall acronyms being all the rage some years ago.

EDIT:

I might be in the minority, but I hope they make leveling less boring. The amount of crap you kill/farm to get to level 5/6 was insane.
Two quotes for you that didn't make it into the feature:

John Gibson: "When we shipped Killing Floor, one of our goals was to go back to the fun a lot of us had had with games from the late 90s or even early 90s, games like Doom or Serious Sam, these not-super-serious games with just lots of enemies and really cool weapons and not overly complicated game mechanics. There were these types of games we felt just didn't exist anymore. So with Killing Floor we wanted to make something that feel like when we used to play those games in the 90s. But put a modern spin on it. It was funny when it came out, we were like we have this itch, maybe other people do. Millions of people bought it, so we were like okay, people do have this itch. We feel like it's still an underserved genre."

I believe I kinda addressed that second point about leveling in the feature (there are now 25 levels instead of 6), but here's more:

Bill Munk: "To hit level 6 in a perk was a really painful grind. The really hardcore people like that, they have a longterm thing to go for, but for everyone else it wasn't very enjoyable. You could go weeks and weeks, sometimes months without hitting a new level. We wanted to improve on that, you're leveling up while also having a longterm thing. In Killing Floor 1 we also had it so, say you picked the Commando perk and then used a Sharpshooter weapon, I'd level up Sharpshooter even though I wasn't using that perk. That's the same. We've kept that about it so we haven't removed the good things, just the bad things."

Waaghals

Never understood the hype of this game. Maybe because I did not experienced it on release date.

But the game HUD, menu and loading screens are so poorly done... I think I may give too much attention for good presentations.

One thing is putting weight on good graphics, but on menus and loading screens? I agree they are not the best in the business, but they work and the game itself is pretty much the best coop shooter in existence.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I am on board with any game outdoing SoF gore.

Owned Killing floor, but didn't pay very much of it.

Chronoja

10 perks - any ideas on what the 3 new ones will be, assuming the original 7 return?

I remember the tripwire forums were constantly asking for a "gunslinger" class to deal with pistols and to remove them from the sharpshooters domain since they already have a wide array of viable weaponry, might happen. Other than that it's difficult to think of niches that could be exploited. Heavy MG or something maybe?

Grief.exe

Hey all, Wes from PC Gamer here. Let me know if you have any questions about the game I didn't answer in the article. If I know the answer from the time I spent at Tripwire, I'll do my best to respond!

Did they mention the engine they would be using?

Something something where's Halo 3

I would believe we will Gears, Halo 1/2, and Viva Pinata reappear before we would see Halo 3.

It would make a great deal of sense to finish up the trilogy release, including ODST, and then be done with PC entirely. Left us in a cliff hanger there.

I believe I kinda addressed that second point about leveling in the feature (there are now 25 levels instead of 6), but here's more:

Bill Munk: "To hit level 6 in a perk was a really painful grind. The really hardcore people like that, they have a longterm thing to go for, but for everyone else it wasn't very enjoyable. You could go weeks and weeks, sometimes months without hitting a new level. We wanted to improve on that, you're leveling up while also having a longterm thing. In Killing Floor 1 we also had it so, say you picked the Commando perk and then used a Sharpshooter weapon, I'd level up Sharpshooter even though I wasn't using that perk. That's the same. We've kept that about it so we haven't removed the good things, just the bad things."

I'm glad they are making a change to the leveling system. Makes the game difficult to jump into and play with other friends, and forces you into a class role rather than experimenting with different gameplay styles.
10 perks - any ideas on what the 3 new ones will be, assuming the original 7 return?

I remember the tripwire forums were constantly asking for a "gunslinger" class to deal with pistols and to remove them from the sharpshooters domain since they already have a wide array of viable weaponry. Other than that it's difficult to think of niches that could be exploited. Heavy MG or something maybe?

Those are some cool ideas.

Would be very interesting if they included some Parkour elements like Brink to get around the levels or approaching Zombies. I suppose that would directly impact the game design and overall tension as you are intentionally left at a rather slow speed.

I think my commando class in the first one has been on perk level 3 since around release. Contrary to developer thinking, there aren't that many stalkers to kill per game. Glad they're thinking of changing the leveling system a little bit.

I remember the tripwire forums were constantly asking for a "gunslinger" class to deal with pistols and to remove them from the sharpshooters domain

That'd be nice. When they came out with the revolver, I pretty much just used that until the patriarch. What could the gunslinger have though, if sharpshooter has headshots? Fire faster?

While I loved the shooting in the original, and popping a head always felt great, I hope KF2 really ramps up the melee combat. It's something I eventually got used to in the original, but while playing as Berserker was extremely powerful, the actual melee combat always felt really light and lacked in impact.

Grief.exe

They did. It's heavily modified UE3.

I didn't realize there was a page 2!

iblwWktjDkxZum.gif

While I loved the shooting in the original, and popping a head always felt great, I hope KF2 really ramps up the melee combat. It's something I eventually got used to in the original, but while playing as Berserker was extremely powerful, the actual melee combat always felt really light and lacked in impact.

The massive dismembering system Tripwire implemented looks to take care of your concerns naturally.

Beserkers will become necessary for a group of players, able to chop off legs to slow down an entire horde.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

This is more me asking to confirm sort of deal, but will Killing Floor 2 have the 6-player limit on it that Killing Floor 1 had, or has that changed at all?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

The article linked from PC gamers mentions melee has been completely reworked. It now now includes things like light and heavy strikes, combos, 4-direction striking, and more.
'
6-player co-op from what I saw. I don't think they're going beyond that.

Good to know, but I am guessing it'll be modable again. It's actually really easy to mod Killing Floor to host up to 256 people (it literally just takes a change in in the game's settings/ini file to change the number of max players, and then an input into the command prompt of lobby to change max players to X (up to 256)), but when you do that it turns perks off (like completely, not leveling is okay, but it makes it so everyone goes to level zero unless you mod the minimum level to something else).

Six is definitely reasonable though.

The massive dismembering system Tripwire implemented looks to take care of your concerns naturally.

Beserkers will become necessary for a group of players, able to chop off legs to slow down an entire horde.
I am so looking forward to seeing that in action. The SoF namedrop has me excited.

Azar

I'll dig up a quote on this when I get into the office. Melees is Bill Munk's baby in this game, and he talked about it a lot, very excitedly. I didn't write about it as much because I only saw one melee weapon, the katana. But you can cut dudes, and it looks awesome. Also, you can press reload to shake the blood off the sword or do a little twirl/flourish.

SparkTR

The first one was great fun, I didn't know it was so popular though.

It was part of that indie cross promotion thing for the Portal 2 release (Potato pack or whatever), I think that exposed a whole lot of people to the game. They mention it sold 2.5m copies in the article as well, they kind of community driven long-term growth is exactly how an indie game franchises should evolve.

Grief.exe

Incidentally, the 2.5 million number is within 8% of the 2.3 million number that Ars found

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/04/steam-gauge-addressing-your-questions-and-concerns/2/

It was part of that indie cross promotion thing for the Portal 2 release (Potato pack or whatever), I think that exposed a whole lot of people to the game. They mention it sold 2.5m copies in the article as well, they kind of community driven long-term growth is exactly how an indie game franchises should evolve.

Killing Floor had a long tale due to the constant support by Tripwire with free maps during certain holidays.

Chronoja

I think my commando class in the first one has been on perk level 3 since around release. Contrary to developer thinking, there aren't that many stalkers to kill per game. Glad they're thinking of changing the leveling system a little bit.

That'd be nice. When they came out with the revolver, I pretty much just used that until the patriarch. What could the gunslinger have though, if sharpshooter has headshots? Fire faster?

With 19 ways to dismember a zed I wouldn't be surprised if there's a class dedicated to crippling them in various ways, imagine a quick draw revolver at the knee caps of a clot or something, a kind of "short range" sharpshooter. All speculation of course.

Nzyme32

Anyone wanna guess at the actual release date?

Well in the PC gamer article they say it won't be as soon as you like but it will be sooner than you think. They also mention it will be out for windows and steamos... so maybe at the launch of that, which is looking like November

The article linked from PC gamers mentions melee has been completely reworked. It now now includes things like light and heavy strikes, combos, 4-direction striking, and more.
I was fine with the simplicity of the melee combat in the original, I'm just hopeful that the sense of impact and weight on strikes is a lot better, and it definitely seems like that'll be the case!

I'll dig up a quote on this when I get into the office. Melees is Bill Munk's baby in this game, and he talked about it a lot, very excitedly. I didn't write about it as much because I only saw one melee weapon, the katana. But you can cut dudes, and it looks awesome. Also, you can press reload to shake the blood off the sword or do a little twirl/flourish.
Hah, so like Shadow Warrior you can clean blood off the blade? Cool.

1upmuffin

They talked a bunch about the death animations in the preview, and how each character has a bunch of different death animations. Does this mean that their won't be ragdoll physics, or that death animations will play first and then ragdoll will kick in?

Also, Killing Floor 1 was really fun, and this seems to be shaping up really well, excited to hear more about it.

derExperte

The shops to buy weapons are still in there, right? No simplified 'buy via menu'?

And I hope they have improved the server browser, the only bad thing in KF1.

Top Bottom