• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Parsnip

Hype.

I don't usually keep my email refreshing in the background, but I need the humble email as soon as they send it to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't much care for Bastion's gameplay.

Gameplay is my biggest worry here as well.

On the other hand, I want to support Supergiant, so I'll probably buy this anyway.

this seems like an odd stance. Why would you want to support a developer that continues to produce games that you don't like? doesn't that just encourage them to keep doing what they're doing and you'll never truly be satisfied?

Found a review - 3 out of 5
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/latest/307951-transistor

But I'm going to discount this review because the only mentioned negative is going to a positive for most of us here
Unfortunately, the price paid for the richness and depth of the game’s combat system is a loss of accessibility. If Bastion’s simplistic button mashing left some hardened gamers cold, then Transistor’s complexity threatens to overwhelm the more casual player.
Transistor is impeccably designed, beautifully presented and contains a wealth of depth and imagination in its combat and storytelling that puts many full-priced titles from AAA developers to shame. However, its inherent obtuseness sometimes makes it a difficult game to love. Those with the persistence to learn the intricacies of its battle system and really get under the skin of its universe will find themselves richly rewarded but those made of less stern stuff may find the game somewhat wearying. Either way, Transistor is something of a flawed gem that is likely to prove just as divisive and thought-provoking as its predecessor.

You would be playing the game at 9 am if you went console physical? Yeah I'm going to doubt you on that one. Especially considering this game doesn't have a physical release :).

I'm really just referring to these mid-day launches on PSN. Why can't they go live at midnight?

I'm not going to go digital on something if I know the physical copy will release at midnight at retail.

I would be tight on cash at the moment. I was super hyped for this game after I saw it and heard the soundtrack. Hopefully I will get it soon, might trade in some 3DS game to Gamestop just to buy it (selling my soul basically).

These scores...

Who would have thought Wolfenstein would average higher than Transistor...

I'm kidding, of course - at least until we see legitimate reviews.

VanWinkle

I thought reviews were supposed to be released today? I mean, the game is out today, probably in less than six hours on PSN.

Grief.exe

No go for Transistor on Green Man

fE9WyWR.png

Grief.exe

Found a review - 3 out of 5
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/latest/307951-transistor

Unfortunately, the price paid for the richness and depth of the game’s combat system is a loss of accessibility. If Bastion’s simplistic button mashing left some hardened gamers cold, then Transistor’s complexity threatens to overwhelm the more casual player.

But I'm going to discount this review because the only mentioned negative is going to a positive for most of us here

Who the fuck knocks a game for complexity?

Want deep gameplay? Nope. Everything must be one button, simple combat analogous to Skyrim or Assassin's Creed.

Ansatz

Who the fuck knocks a game for complexity?

Want deep gameplay? Nope. Everything must be one button, simple combat analogous to Skyrim or Assassin's Creed.

As soon as a game requires the player to put in effort or hit a road-block (usually a puzzle), you have lost a sale. AC is the perfect example of a game with no actual gameplay systems. Actions are context sensitive, combat is a glorified QTE scene and platforming is automatic.

this seems like an odd stance. Why would you want to support a developer that continues to produce games that you don't like? doesn't that just encourage them to keep doing what they're doing and you'll never truly be satisfied?

I'll support them because I want them to keep developing games, even if I don't particularly enjoy playing them so far.

I liked the music, art and narration of Bastion and I don't regret buying it, I just didn't think it was particularly fun to play.

If Transistor's combat is deeper and more complex than Bastion like that review above complained about, I think I'll be a happy camper.

I really hope this is game is good, because 3rd party triple A culture is really, really bumming me out. I won't be really into paying for a triple A boxed game until destiny. Indie games are still about the game, and the game only (some exceptions of course/anytime ubisoft gets involved, i mean dlc in child of light are you fucking kidding me?).

Oh my god I'm so hyped for this game. I don't get why PSN isn't letting you pre-load this game? I've had a bit of money aside ready to put it down on this game but I keep spending it because I can't just lock in my sale and pre-order!

I can't find it anywhere on the store :(

Codiox

The PSN store fully updates on the consoles at around 2pm PT but it shows up on the webstore an hour or so before.
You can purchase it on the webstore and push it to your PS4.

so you tell me i have to wait until its almost midnight over here in germany? GAF hold me!

tumblr_inline_mqp7mybKKl1qz4rgp.gif

Bodom78

Oh man, I remember seeing this game a long time ago. I assumed it would be on 360 but looks like it's not which makes me sad. Bastion was an amazing experience.

Top Bottom