• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

VanWinkle

What is the real time combat like? Are all attacks done with the main weapon? It seems very slow from what I've seen. Are there multiple attacks with it?

Ryne

They did post the reasoning behind the embargo earlier, although I do agree release day embargoes isn't the best -

Assuming you mean review embargoes, we had complete influence over Transistor's review embargo. It's our game.

Some reasons we felt a review embargo was appropriate:

- While it is unavoidable to some extent, we wanted to give at least some media outlets an equivalent and sufficiently reasonable amount of time with the game. (We still have hundreds of requests for review code that we're evaluating.)

- We want to protect our game so that it's not spoiled for people before they can play it for themselves. We've purposely withheld a lot of information about Transistor. If someone live-streamed the whole thing yesterday, we would have been sad.

- We think it's good when reviews coincide with the availability of the thing being reviewed. I hate reading reviews of things I don't have the option to buy or play (regardless of whether the review is positive).

So, my opinion is that a review embargo such as this is primarily a request for courtesy between publications getting early access to a game, but it is also somewhat self-serving (as is the act of sending out review code). We have no real leverage to enforce this embargo, being a small studio that's only released one other game. However, we respect the editorial process and have faith that publications will honor the embargo for the sake of their peers in the field, if for no other reason.

Back in my game-reviewing days we would sometimes get reviewers' guides with lists of topics we were asked not to cover or spoil, or whatever. I think that stuff is nonsense and that we have no say in those types of decisions. Publications best know what level of detail their audiences want. It's right there in the word "Editor".

Anyway some reviews should start hitting before the game comes out for those interested. I will find out what reviews this game gets no sooner than any of you.

Voice coming through the controller is like the controller is my sword!

Lol. I laughed but thought about this comment in a serious manner. I actually love the speaker on the DS4 and have loved the times I've heard it when playing the few games that use it. I'm glad that SuperGiant Games decided to have the voice come from the controller. To me, it may add a sense of immersion.

I'm so hyped about this game. It's the first digital preorder that I have done on PS4 :) My PS4 is ready Greg!

Vire

While I understand and appreciate the rational Greg gave for the release date embargo, I still don't like it.

It just doesn't project a lot of confidence in your game when you hold it off till the last possible moment.

shem935

Banned
As well as countless others, doesn't make it any better.

Doesn't really make it any worse either. It just is. Watch your trigger finger and don't buy it right away until you read some reviews if you are worried about the game. The game will still be the same one day later after you have an informed opinion.

Edit: As someone who has been spoiled countless times off of reviews and early impressions masquerading as being free of spoilers I completely understand Greg's reasoning.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
While I understand and appreciate the rational Greg gave for the release date embargo, I still don't like it.

It just doesn't project a lot of confidence in your game when you hold it off till the last possible moment.

Wasn't Bastion the same way?

Played Bastion on Chrome for a bit and thought it was good.

I really want to hear the rest of the opening soundtrack.

I want to hear about length/content before I commit a purchase. Hoping to hear some good impressions tomorrow.

burgerdog

The people who are interested in the game aren't going to seek spoilers if they're posted either. I don't get that. The people that seek spoilers are probably just going to watch a let's play of it on youtube or twitch.

ultron87

It is a digital game though. There aren't any people at a midnight release they are trying to trick or people whose copies have already shipped. Every person buying the game will have ample opportunity to read reviews before clicking the buy button.

Unless they preordered a digital game that doesn't preload and has no preorder bonuses for some reason.

Actually I think it shows the devs have a lot of confidence in their game. There aren't any preorder bonuses anyway, it's not like you'll be missing out by buying or not buying after reading the reviews

shem935

Banned
The people who are interested in the game aren't going to seek spoilers if they're posted either. I don't get that. The people that seek spoilers are probably just going to watch a let's play of it on youtube or twitch.

Most people reading reviews don't seek spoilers but I have read numerous reviews that take for granted story details they view as trivial and throw them out without any kind or warning. Just wait 1 day. It will be okay.

Squire

Banned

Confidence isn't worth anything in a situation like this. Everyone could be giving them a 9/10 and it'd be great in the moment, less so once the game is out and people have had time to forget. It's not like, say, Halo 4 where these glowing reviews can go live on Friday and the game is advertised all weekend and then it comes out. These guys can't have their cake and eat it too.

Eusis

That fallacy.
Seriously though it's so common I'm not sure I can really trust it as a litmus test for quality. I'll just have to grumble and be annoyed, it's when people don't get copies that I'll REALLY worry. And exceptions don't work as well there as they're usually from companies too big to care.

burgerdog

Most people reading reviews don't seek spoilers but I have read numerous reviews that take for granted story details they view as trivial and throw them out without any kind or warning. Just wait 1 day. It will be okay.

I don't read reviews, I just find it annoying. Lay it on me, buying this as soon as it's up tomorrow.

wutwutwut

FWIW I fully support release-day embargoes. It's a great way to get publicity at the right time for a game you're very confident about and wish to do well in the market. If I were releasing a game, or any software in general, that's the embargo I'd set.

Vire

Confidence isn't worth anything in a situation like this. Everyone could be giving them a 9/10 and it'd be great in the moment, less so once the game is out and people have had time to forget. It's not like, say, Halo 4 where these glowing reviews can go live on Friday and the game is advertised all weekend and then it comes out. These guys can't have their cake and eat it too.

This is true, it serves as more of an annoyance more than anything for the people are who are anticipating the game greatly, but we'll live.

As long as the reviews hit at the same time as the game releases I guess it's fine. But if it's sitting on the steam store available for purchase for a few hours and reviews are still not allowed to be published, that's helping no one.

I just want a simple thumbs up or thumbs down similar to the way Kotaku does it. Considering I've seen about a total of 5 minutes of gameplay footage total for this game (they've held it incredibly close to their chest), my purchase at this point is based off blind faith and love for Bastion.

kasavin

Downloaded the soundtrack off Amazon. So good.

Highly recommend not listening to the OST before playing, as the soundtrack is a big part of the game and may reveal more than you care to have revealed. Though, if you don't care about that stuff, or don't plan on playing, go right ahead of course...!

Soundtrack got out sooner than intended on some places but it'll be widely available including free streaming options in the next day.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Highly recommend not listening to the OST before playing, as the soundtrack is a big part of the game and may reveal more than you care to have revealed. Though, if you don't care about that stuff, or don't plan on playing, go right ahead of course...!

Soundtrack got out sooner than intended on some places but it'll be widely available including free streaming options in the next day.

RELEASE THE GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!

I should buy it first, but whether I get it now or as soon as it launches, does it matter for your numbers either way? No preference if it's the same price?

aro52

I always follow this practice with game and movie soundtracks. Makes em mean a lot more to experience them for the first time with the full experience. Then listening to it again later makes ya remember that experience.

Despera

Banned
If only the game came out a couple of hours ago. Now I'm on my way to a place with no guarantee of internet access.

I really hope I don't have to wait to play this game.

Edit:
I always follow this practice with game and movie soundtracks. Makes em mean a lot more to experience them for the first time with the full experience. Then listening to it again later makes ya remember that experience.
While I tend to listen to a couple or so tracks before a game's release, I completely agree with you.

Vire

I don't think I would have gotten the goosebumps that I did if I heard the songs in Bastion ahead of release.

So good.

Squire

Banned
This is true, it serves as more of an annoyance more than anything for the people are who are anticipating the game greatly, but we'll live.

As long as the reviews hit at the same time as the game releases I guess it's fine. But if it's sitting on the steam store available for purchase for a few hours and reviews are still not allowed to be published, that's helping no one.

I just want a simple thumbs up or thumbs down similar to the way Kotaku does it. Considering I've seen about a total of 5 minutes of gameplay footage total for this game (they've held it incredibly close to their chest), my purchase at this point is based off blind faith and love for Bastion.

Yeah, I understand. I've been trying to get an idea if it's good or not, myself.

I will say if a game is just sitting on Steam or wherever still under embargo that's a bad embargo. I've seen writers post reviews early for that very reason and in those situations, they're usually pissed for the same reason you or I would be - makes no sense.

At least for Transistor reviews will have been out all morning by the time PSN updates with the game.

New wallpaper in preparation:

MhkTsBi.jpg

Hence the need for review scores at times, despite the circlejerk surrounding their arbitrary nature.

Vire

Wished they did another "Building the Bastion" type behind the scenes. Loved that stuff, seeing the game go through the different iterations made me appreciate how far they came.

xkramz

Holy fucking shit I downloaded the whole OST to transistor... it brings chills to my spine. Especially "old friends"

When I'm listening to this song.. I feel pure pain hate sadness and revenge. 10/10

panda-zebra

Banned
Last minute review embargoes help deliver concentrated hype in a controlled and precise time frame, they seem to be a great tool for maximising impulsive digital buying. Don't personally see anything devious or underhanded about them, I'd reserve that kind of thinking for games that sneak out to retail without any media access or any opinion given based on exclusive access to a game.

Transistor is not the kind of game where I'll be repying on a 3rd parties opinion to convince me, I saw enough a year ago to know it was going to be a day one game. Only thing I could have wished for was a Child of Light style retail boxed version with a few pointless but fun things for me to then shelve and forget about, mainly because I know Amazon would have sent it a day early.

The game look so far up my street it could be sat on the door step peeking through the letter box calling my name.

Uuuggghhhh.... need this now. Decided to buy forever ago. Plopped down the $20 on PSN as soon as the preorder went up a few weeks ago.

I work afternoons and will definitely be sad if I can't play before work.

kenjisalk

I cannot wait for tomorrow. Bastion was the game that completely changed how I viewed/felt about indie games, and instantly became one of my personal all time favorites.

I've never had a smaller downloadable game move me emotionally like Bastion did, and the time I spent with the Transistor demo back at PAX Prime immediately choked me up.

I have no doubt this game will once again be something truly special, and I appreciate everyone at SuperGiant for being such awesome talented folk.

mazeltov and I look forward to joining Red on her harrowing journey.

Soundtrack is up on Spotify in fact. I'm so tempted to listen to it, but holding off for the exact reason you've said.

Will Transistor have that annoying narration that was in Bastion, or have they scrapped that for this game? Looks beautiful in the screens, looking forward to the impressions before jumping in.

Saganator

Will Transistor have that annoying narration that was in Bastion, or have they scrapped that for this game? Looks beautiful in the screens, looking forward to the impressions before jumping in.

Your weapon talks to you as you go. Not really narration, but there is someone talking to you as you play. I think its the same voice.

KeRaSh

What is wrong with you? The narration was great.

Your weapon talks to you as you go. Not really narration, but there is someone talking to you as you play. I think its the same voice.

Same voice? Hype intensifies!

Has this been posted? Quarter to Three review is out: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/05/20/transistor/ Score and quote:
Tom gave it 2 out of 5, and he quite liked Bastion: "When I reviewed Bastion, I wrote the review as a list of 15 things all games can learn. For me, the real disappointment of Transistor is that developer Supergiant seems to have forgotten half those things."

It's literally just been taken back down again.
What is wrong with you? The narration was great.
I honestly couldn't stand it. I suppose it's a love it or hate it affair!

Top Bottom