• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

codhand

Gametrailers - 9.0

Game Informer: 9/10

Eurogamer - 9

herman-cain-creepy-smile.gif

marrec

Banned
I'm so glad the combat seems to be more in depth and complex than Bastion.

Not reading any of the reviews though, they usually venture too much into spoiler territory.

why does the verge review video games? isn't polygon their sister company?

we operate completely separately from polygon and have no shared editorial. we're selective — we cover what we think makes sense for us, and our distinct audience.

think of it like conde nast owning a bunch of magazines that occasionally overlap. they're not going to tell wired, the new yorker, and ars technica to avoid each other.

Seda

So I highly disagree that the skill system is complicated. There's a lot you can do with it, but it's not at all difficult to understand. It is easily the highlight of the gameplay. If you love to tinker and try out new combinations of skills set ups, from active abilities to passive boosts, Transistor is for you.

Gameplay isn't exceptionally fast, it's more methodical in nature, requiring planning moreso that fast reflexes. I don't mean that as a slight, just don't except anything like...Ys Origin for example.

Grief.exe

Would suggest PS4, because of the speaker in the controller, and the cool stuff it does with the light bar.

Note: the ps4 speaker is off by default, switch it on in the menus.

I wouldn't really say a couple of gimmicks would place it as the definitive version.

In reality, it's a toss up.

You can run the game at higher resolution frame rate on PC, infinite backwards compatibility, in home streaming.

PS4 has 1080p/60, Vita Streaming.

Nabs

Is anyone waiting for them to flip the switch on PC? Can you restart Steam and check if it's live?

edit: It's live! Gogogo.

JebusF

Neo Member
I wouldn't really say a couple of gimmicks would place it as the definitive version.

In reality, it's a toss up.

You can run the game at higher resolution frame rate on PC, infinite backwards compatibility, in home streaming.

PS4 has 1080p/60, Vita Streaming.

Didn't say that, just saying that it's a nice feature that I enjoyed. The light bar syncing up with the narrator's voice is pretty cool. :)

Eurogamer says the game is around 5 hours, but I think I remember a blog post by Super Giant stating something about a significant amount of content hidden in NG+, right?

Grief.exe

Any differences between PC and PS4 versions?

Not really, it's a toss up.

PS4 has 1080p/60, Vita Streaming. PS4 also has a couple of gimmicks such as using the controller speaker and lightbar for the narrator.

Grief.exe

The other advantage of the PC version is you can play it now, rather than later in the day.

It's actually kind of nice. Sure it's a gimmick, but helped immersion in my opinion.

I think you guys sound crazy with this stuff. Low-audio quality speaker and lightbar 'helps with immersion.'

How are you even looking at the lightbar while playing? Why wouldn't you want the awesome narration that Supergiant is known for piped through some excellent headphones?

I haven't personally experienced this so my opinion carries less weight, but I just can't take you guys seriously.

Seda

My first playthrough was something like 7-8 hours. The second was a bit longer because I played with every limiter on (think Bastion's Shrine bonuses).

Grief.exe

So lame. Has Sony ever explained why it takes so long for them to update the store compared to Xbox Live and Steam?

Steam is set by the developers. They let Valve know what time they want the game to unlock, then push that through the registry.

• Changed releasestate – released

No idea about Xbox Live

Can anyone confirm what the resolution goes up to? Bastion was gimped to 1920*1200.

1200p > 1080p and that is a 16:10 resolution. I'm thinking you mean less than that.

It is 1080p/60 on PS4, and arbitrary resolution support for PC, IE 1080/4K/8K

Lime

I can't remember - is the combat turn based or realtime or a hybrid?

I prefer strategic gameplay rather than fast-paced button-mashing, which is why I didn't find Bastion's combat particularly engrossing.

Vitor711

Massive congrats to Greg and everyone else at SuperGiant - seems like the critical consensus is every bit as positive as it was around Bastion.

Top Bottom