• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

B E N K E

Microsoft has a launch parity clause (developers can only release their titles on Xbox One if they haven't already been released on other consoles). There's an article I found on IGN about it: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/01/microsoft-discusses-xbox-one-launch-parity-clause

That's not the direct reason though. There's nothing to prevent SuperGiant from releasing Transistor on Xbox One day and date with PS4 in theory. I'm guessing there is some kind of exclusivity deal in place with Sony and SuperGiant likely wouldn't have resources to do three versions at the same time anyway. If Microsoft waives launch parity (which they have in the past and likely will do more frequently in the future) then we could see Transistor on Xbox One.

I believe this is only for games not in development. I'd be surprised if MS didn't make an exception for Super Giant Games. I believe Transistor will be on XB1 eventually.

Ah, I wasn't sure of the specifics. I think it's possible Transistor will make it to the Xbone, but Bastion better make it to PSN too.

Saganator

This is the first big PS4 release (for me, anyway) and no preload or even a narrowed release window. Same shit, different year.

Yeah, I don't get why Sony can't figure this stuff out. I figured Yoshida has gotten enough tweets about this every release, its probably not really his department, but the right people have got to know they need to adapt with the times already.

Lombax

Banned
Purchased a steam key from the supergiant site, hype for this game and managed to stay in the dark the whole time.

B E N K E

new game+ type mode and platinum trophy too iirc?

Yeah, Recursion mode. Sort of works like the old Diablo set up where you carry on with the same character but face levelled up enemies (remixed mobs as well). I'm guessing here (in my second playthrough), but I'd say you probably need to go through it at least two times (using all limiters at your disposal most of the time) for Platinum. Limiters are disadvantages you add in order to level up more quickly.

Saganator

Ah, I wasn't sure of the specifics. I think it's possible Transistor will make it to the Xbone, but Bastion better make it to PSN too.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS dumps the dumb policy. It would've worked out in their favor if they were still the top dogs, but they aren't, and its shooting themselves in the foot at this point.

Seda

Yeah, Recursion mode. Sort of works like the old Diablo set up where you carry on with the same character but face levelled up enemies (remixed mobs as well). I'm guessing here (in my second playthrough), but I'd say you probably need to go through it at least two times (using all limiters at your disposal most of the time) for Platinum. Limiters are disadvantages you add in order to level up more quickly.

I had to briefly start a third playthrough to get to max level. And yes I played with all limiters most of the time. Platinum trophy was probably something like 17-18 hours.

lantus

That's not the direct reason though. There's nothing to prevent SuperGiant from releasing Transistor on Xbox One day and date with PS4 in theory. I'm guessing there is some kind of exclusivity deal in place with Sony and SuperGiant likely wouldn't have resources to do three versions at the same time anyway. If Microsoft waives launch parity (which they have in the past and likely will do more frequently in the future) then we could see Transistor on Xbox One.
I think Greg said there was no exclusivity deals, just that Sony got them on board with PS4 pretty fast.

I'm sad that they don't support higher than 1080p on PC..

I'll buy it on PC if they patch in support for higher rendering resolutions.

1200p > 1080p and that is a 16:10 resolution. I'm thinking you mean less than that.

It is 1080p/60 on PS4, and arbitrary resolution support for PC, IE 1080/4K/8K

I have a 1440p monitor and Bastion topped out at 1200p. Good to see this has been addressed, though.

shwimpy

PSN releases have been pretty consistent the last few months except for that one time they didn't update till Thursday/Friday. 11am pst is when they start uploading the games to the store and they are usually done by 1pm pst, which is when the ps store blog post goes up.

Grief.exe

I have a 1440p monitor and Bastion topped out at 1200p. Good to see this has been addressed, though.

You better not heed my advice, looks like there is dissenting information here. I can't confirm my information as I just heard it through the grapevine.

Blinck

I highly doubt they will patch in support for higher resolutions. Since this is a 2D game all the assets were probably painted for 1080p, so anything higher than that will actually look blurred/pixelated
I might be mistaken though!

Watch Total Biscuit's WTF Is https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zymf7o5K9UU#t=104

Resolution list tops out at 1080p

I highly doubt they will patch in support for higher resolutions. Since this is a 2D game all the assets were probably painted for 1080p, so anything higher than that will actually look blurred/pixelated
I might be mistaken though!

It (1080p) looks like shit blown up on my 27" 2560x1440 resolution monitor, too. Rayman Origins is 2D with gorgeous art and it looked amazing at higher resolutions

Real time.

However, you can use a skill called Turn() to activate a planning mode. Basically how this works is you can move Red around, and 'Plan' where you want to use Functions on enemies while they are frozen motionless.

You have as much 'time' to plan as you want, but you can only move Red so much and use so many functions in one Turn(). But you can write/rewrite as often as you want as you think about what you want to do.

Then you can execute your turn which Red will perform your planned actions rapidly. However, you are then put in a cooldown period for a set amount of time where you can't use any functions.

Thats a sweet mechanic, kinda reminds me of Valkyria Chronicles

Seda

I wish I knew whether the real-time combat any complexity to it. I think we've only seen one or maybe two attacks.

There are
__Sixteen__
different Functions with three purposes depending on if you use them as an Active Function, Upgrade, or Passive bonus. You have four active slots, each with two upgrade slots, and four passive slots. You have a limit to how many functions you can set.

It's more versatile than complex, easy to understand once you see it.

His monitor is only 1080p though, and TB doesn't know how to downsample. Windows spits out a list of supported resolutions to the game, they never go greater than the monitor's native support.

That is where you are getting your information? I thought you actually had the game.

I'm not giving them my money until someone confirms that it supports higher resolution than 1080p

The fact that it only lists arbitrary resolutions and not the full range of resolutions like you see in games that actually ask the computer what resolutions it can display tells me that it's limited.

Ibuki

Banned
Thanks for the answers everyone. I think I will get the PS4 version since I think I still have 10$ in my psn wallet.

Grief.exe

I'm not giving them my money until someone confirms that it supports higher resolution than 1080p

The fact that it only lists arbitrary resolutions and not the full range of resolutions like you see in games that actually ask the computer what resolutions it can display tells me that it's limited.

I don't think you understand.

You don't see games spit out resolutions higher than the native monitor. It just doesn't happen, unless you have configured downsampling manually.

TB's monitor is 1080p, the game will not show him a 1440p resolution. The reason for this should be obvious, selecting a 1440p output on a 1080p monitor will crash the game.

For example, here is my Dark Souls II resolution configuration screen. My native montior resolution is 1080p, but I have set up manual downsamples of 1440p and 1296p.
These would not be available if I hadn't set them up. Furthermore, why doesn't the game show resolutions that are greater than 1440p? Why not 4K, 8K, or greater?

33wMlnC.jpg

I don't think you understand.

I do understand. i'm not expecting to see 2560x1440 on his 1080p monitor.

I do expect to see all of the resolutions in-between (up to 1080) Dark souls 2 supports any resolution your display is capable of showing, it does not look like Transistor does.

Also, if you configured your control panel to make a higher resolution available for downsampling, we know Dark Souls 2 would expose that resolution in that list.

I'm not convinced that Transistor does this because the resolution list is incomplete (below 1920x1080)

I would love to be wrong about this, because I want to buy the game on PC, but I'm not giving Supergiant a dime until I know my resolution is supported.

Top Bottom