• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

My first playthrough was something like 7-8 hours. The second was a bit longer because I played with every limiter on (think Bastion's Shrine bonuses).

Can you explain the additional playthroughs? Is there more to explore? More story to discover? Why play multiple playthroughs (outside of regular old fun)

Frazley

Bought this over Wolfenstein (was really hard to choose) but the fact that I basically get me some futuristic Bastion on PlayStation seals the deal!

kasavin

Massive congrats to Greg and everyone else at SuperGiant - seems like the critical consensus is every bit as positive as it was around Bastion.

Thanks! Hope you folks enjoy it if you get a chance to play. I'll probably be pretty scarce as it is crazy dealing with a launch like this but you know where to find me on Twitter and so on. We'll be standing by supporting the launch for a while, seeing what everyone thinks and how it all shakes out. Great to see that it's left a strong impression on some people who've played.

Saganator

You know you want this game when you're tempted to buy it on Steam so you don't have to wait the 3-4 more hours until PSN store updates.

B E N K E

The other advantage of the PC version is you can play it now, rather than later in the day.

I think you guys sound crazy with this stuff. Low-audio quality speaker and lightbar 'helps with immersion.'

How are you even looking at the lightbar while playing? Why wouldn't you want the awesome narration that Supergiant is known for piped through some excellent headphones?

I haven't personally experienced this so my opinion carries less weight, but I just can't take you guys seriously.

You don't look at the lightbar while playing, that's really the beauty of it. I only noticed it after an hour of playing or so, which was kind of neat. It's a gimmick, but one that makes sense when you think about it. In a dark room you'll be somewhat aware of the colour and rhythm. Played with headset though so I'm not sure how the narration through the DS4 worked. But from my experience voice through that speaker is fine. That said it's nothing that should dictate what platform you play on - it's just a little added sprinkle on top.

Thanks! Hope you folks enjoy it if you get a chance to play. I'll probably be pretty scarce as it is crazy dealing with a launch like this but you know where to find me on Twitter and so on. We'll be standing by supporting the launch for a while, seeing what everyone thinks and how it all shakes out. Great to see that it's left a strong impression on some people who've played.

Congrats! Game looks freakin' sweet ;)

Wait my %Steamapps/common/Transistor/Soundtrack% folder doesn't exist even though I bought the soundtrack. The %Transistor/content/audio/soundtrack% folder is also empty.

Does anyone know where the soundtrack is? What's going on?!

I'll have to cancel my hype until this is sorted out. Hopefully playing the game distracts me! ;p

Edit: And F.Y.I., I did verify the cache, so it's something Steam-side.

Seda

Can you explain the additional playthroughs? Is there more to explore? More story to discover? Why play multiple playthroughs (outside of regular old fun)

The core gameplay revolves around Functions and Slots to put those Fucntions in. There are three types of slots: Active, Upgrade, and Passive. This means each function has three different roles depending on how you want to use it. You also get Limiters which are a handicap against you to make the game more difficult (pretty good for a challenge).

This is a minor spoiler but
You also start to get duplicates of of Functions, so you can use one Function in two places

As you level up, you unlock more Functions, Slots, and Limiters. There isn't enough EXP in one playthrough to unlock everything. So you play a second time to gain even more permutations of function sets. You continue to expand your possible skill set ups. I also played with all my limiters for a full challenge (although it's not really too bad). The enemy groups are more difficult the second time around. For example, enemies you met late in your first playthrough will appear early on in the second.

But no, there isn't any change to the story or more to explore. In fact, exploration in not a focus in Transistor. The main gameplay is mostly along a straight path, it all comes down to the combat encounters and how you approach them based on the skill system.

todahawk

getting some Gustav Klimt vibes from some of the art^

Gustav_Klimt_016.jpg

Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

Grief.exe

Does anyone know if the PC version has ps4 controller support? The speaker thing sounds awesome, but i don't have a ps4.

I doubt it will have that option as the DS4 doesn't even have official PC drivers.

I purchased a DS4 and used it flawlessly through >100 hours of Dark Souls II.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-yet-another-DualShock-4-driver

I wish developers would start including Playstation button assets for prompts within the game. Would be easy as switching within the menu. They already have them created for the PS4 version.

TheMan

just bought fifa yesterday and watch dogs is next week...if i buy this my wife is going to be PISSED.

but this game is so intriguing

nib95

Banned
The reviews are fantastic. I was going to buy the PS4 version anyway, but the DS4 speaker output for the sword's vocals is certainly a nice extra touch.

Mrbob

Seda

Is the combat turn-based or real-time or a hybrid?

Real time.

However, you can use a skill called Turn() to activate a planning mode. Basically how this works is you can move Red around, and 'Plan' where you want to use Functions on enemies while they are frozen motionless.

You have as much 'time' to plan as you want, but you can only move Red so much and use so many functions in one Turn(). But you can write/rewrite as often as you want as you think about what you want to do.

Then you can execute your turn which Red will perform your planned actions rapidly. However, you are then put in a cooldown period for a set amount of time where you can't use any functions.

I did a 15 minute gameplay, first impressions kinda thing here. Great little game, but difficult to get into as it doesnt explain much. Which in someways, is kinda cool.

Saganator

awesome, thanks for the link & info! (my art history profs would be proud)

Finally came in handy for something! =]

edit:

btw, I sadly never saw any Gustav Klimt art until you posted the pics, which I found really pretty. Googled him for more, really like his art. So, thanks for that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is the first big PS4 release (for me, anyway) and no preload or even a narrowed release window. Same shit, different year.

Top Bottom