• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLG Support Group -- Now Officially Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
The idea Sony would pretend it's in development even though it isn't is really absurd.

They canceled The Agency after having shown it for years, and had it playable multiple times. And Sony basically announced TLG was canned via Tretton, and they went out of their way to confirm he was wrong. They'd already ripped the bandage off, and they decided to still put it back on.

Pretending it exists when it doesn't is really not believable. When we see pictures of Ueda at the office what do people really think is happening? They have an image editor on staff photoshopping him in? They pay him to come in and pose with a Rift on to keep the myth alive?

The game was a technical mess, they had a new console coming, so they delayed it to PS4, and it hasn't been re-revealed yet, that's all the 'mystery' to it.

idRsmM6gbgARE.gif

rofl that is amazing

Checking Trico's neck, the last pulse was detected 1/21/2014.

http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=the+last+guardian

Its brain apparently has entered extreme hibernation mode and is expending as little energy as possible, just as its creator does. The fewest heartbeats needed to avoid being declared dead, like its creator survived on the fewest work days needed to be considered a team member. It will only wake when its Spring arrives. Hopefully in the Trico's land, Spring begins June 10, 2014.

iratA

The idea Sony would pretend it's in development even though it isn't is really absurd.

They canceled The Agency after having shown it for years, and had it playable multiple times. And Sony basically announced TLG was canned via Tretton, and they went out of their way to confirm he was wrong. They'd already ripped the bandage off, and they decided to still put it back on.

Pretending it exists when it doesn't is really not believable. When we see pictures of Ueda at the office what do people really think is happening? They have an image editor on staff photoshopping him in? They pay him to come in and pose with a Rift on to keep the myth alive?

The game was a technical mess, they had a new console coming, so they delayed it to PS4, and it hasn't been re-revealed yet, that's all the 'mystery' to it.

Hahaha this was funny :)

Sendou

I haven't played ICO and Shadow of the Colossus... Is anticipating The Last Guardian something that automatically happens once I do that (I do have the HD versions at hand) or was the requirement to play them back when they came out?

ScOULaris

I swear to god, if TLG ever sees the light of day it had better come with a full-length documentary covering the trials and tribulations of its mythic development. After staying loyal for this long, we goddamn motherfucking cunt deserve to know. They owe us at least that much!

Fucking shit I'm getting so mad just thinking about it. A whole generation went by without a single Team ICO game, and it was the longest gen in gaming history! It's too much to bear. Fuck this. Hold me, support group.

StuBurns

Banned

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You don't want to use the trailers, the only gameplay footage was in the documentary that came with the Ico/SotC collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44g8-EUqXpc&t=7m8s

I've actually never seen this, but don't people take too much from dev footage? I feel like every time we see offscreen footage from inside the lab it's always glitchy and framey and stuff.

I bet it was a combo of technical issues and also that the game wasn't fun. They couldn't find a way to meaningfully create puzzles with Catbird and the game was primarily about delivering sandwiches.

There's really not a lot of footage in here :\

You have an odd idea of expanding.
They may be hiring, but they laid off nearly entire studios recently and many high profile people have been leaving.

We're getting kind of off-topic for the thread, but we had a whole thread or couple of threads on that and that doesn't change the fact that they've also expanded a number of their studios a lot prior to these new cuts despite making those cuts at the beginning of this year. As the article you linked to says the cuts were probably for a combination of studio issues and perhaps some fat and probably some in-between project turnover or something, and yes probably some for expenses too. Not that everything's perfect or anything, cuts happening sucks for those effected and some probably are linked to failed game projects but "entire studios" and "many high profile" seems like an exaggeration at least looking at the various articles about the cuts.

For example, we know SSM is getting atleast partially rebooted after a large scale failed project. Most of the reported 60 from SSM probably came from that game and they still have hundreds of employees. Despite the two high profile departures from ND, the arcticle sights they haven't even laid anyone off. And the studios that laid off people as you said are also still hiring.

The only main high profile people that left I think we've seen in articles are Hennig (which especially sucks since I've loved a lot of her games), Richmond (both from the same project), Stig after his project died, and lower down from them Killian.

How would you all feel if The Last Guardian controlled like ICO or Shadow of the Colossus?

Never a problem for me. I understood why they designed it like that and it's extremely bold. Unlike the floaty, weightless textures you see in most modern AAA titles.

iratA

I haven't played ICO and Shadow of the Colossus... Is anticipating The Last Guardian something that automatically happens once I do that (I do have the HD versions at hand) or was the requirement to play them back when they came out?

Yes. You can play the HD versions or the originals if you happen to be lucky enough to own them. Anticipation of TLG is inevitable upon completion, they are some of gaming's greatest.

Imagine you were trapped on a project that wasn't going well for over 6 years. You've left the company officially (either voluntarily, or you were forced out) and feel an obligation (either personal or legal) to complete the work. This game is, in all likelihood, not going to be a masterpiece born of Ueda's pure passion.

He's aware of people's expectations after all this time and his reputation is riding on it. He's not going to half-ass it. For all intents and purposes everybody thinks of it as an Ueda game and if it sucks it'll be on him. Besides, I'm pretty sure he wants to be proud of the game, that's a huge chunk of his career, I don't think anyone working on this project wants to feel that all that time was wasted.

Sorry, but vague quotes from nearly a year ago (Even longer for the Ueda quote) don't fill me with confidence.
Again, I hope it's not canceled, but let's face it. The Last Guardian is in serious trouble.
If it wasn't, there wouldn't be need for a "support group."
People realize that there is a chance the game will never see the light of day, and that is disheartening.

One of those was from September 2013. Here's an even more recent one:

MARCH 2014

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/12/sony-loves-that-people-are-still-interested-in-the-last-guardian

“You’re going to be very frustrated by this answer,” Rohde said, “but it is 100 percent the God’s honest truth, and that is that we want to make great games. And when we see that the public is so interested in a specific game, of course that drives us to want to complete that game. But it also drives us to want to make it great. We would not want to ship that game if we don’t think it’s great.”

So either stop posting this its a ripe candidate for the cancel hammer bullshit or answer my question:

How many of those games have been officially announced?
How many of those officially announced games have had trailers shown?

In how many of those games have the producers as well as the developers constantly iterated that the game is still in development?

StuBurns

Banned
I've actually never seen this, but don't people take too much from dev footage? I feel like every time we see offscreen footage from inside the lab it's always glitchy and framey and stuff.

I bet it was a combo of technical issues and also that the game wasn't fun. They couldn't find a way to meaningfully create puzzles with Catbird and the game was primarily about delivering sandwiches.

There's really not a lot of footage in here :\
I agree, I think it was technical issues, not just limited to performance either, I'm sure it's an AI nightmare to get that thing moving through environments convincingly, along with being where you need it to be and without it feeling like a burden as well as just pure entertainment value.

It was also seemingly not as imaginative as their first two games, it looks like Ico 2 with some stealth elements, and while I'm sure that would make for an excellent game, it wasn't going to be as bold as the other two.

There was also Majin's release, some former Team ICO staff worked on it, and it's obviously extremely reminiscent of TLG, it may have contained elements intended for TLG which were then deemed unusable.

I hope if/when it does come out, we get lots of postmortem content, there's a book in here somewhere.

Haunted

*scoffs* bitch pls

You lot have seen not one, but two Team Ueda games release while I've been faithfully waiting for Shenmue 3 here.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
He's aware of people's expectations after all this time and his reputation is riding on it. He's not going to half-ass it. For all intents and purposes everybody thinks of it as an Ueda game and if it sucks it'll be on him. Besides, I'm pretty sure he wants to be proud of the game, that's a huge chunk of his career, I don't think anyone working on this project wants to feel that all that time was wasted.

All plausible, but it could go another way. His reputation as a AAA developer is already shot. His team failed to produce a game during a generation that lasted 8 years. Maybe he wants to work on smaller, more manageable projects now and TLG is just an anchor around his neck. We all want the work we do to be good, but at a certain point, under prolonged strain and difficulty, sometimes we just want something to be over.

I am fully aware that my post is just as speculative as yours; I'm just presenting it as a possible scenario, one that I wouldn't be all that surprised to hear were true.

I agree, I think it was technical issues, not just limited to performance either, I'm sure it's an AI nightmare to get that thing moving through environments convincingly, along with being where you need it to be and without it feeling like a burden as well as just pure entertainment value.

It was also seemingly not as imaginative as their first two games, it looks like Ico 2 with some stealth elements, and while I'm sure that would make for an excellent game, it wasn't going to be as bold as the other two.

There was also Majin's release, some former Team ICO staff worked on it, and it's obviously extremely reminiscent of TLG, it may have contained elements intended for TLG which were then deemed unusable.

I hope if/when it does come out, we get lots of postmortem content, there's a book in here somewhere.

Majin was largely ignored on release and it's all but forgotten now, so if they have any good ideas at all they were holding back because of that game, they should reconsider.

hohoXD123

It's just...it's just so hard you know. There are all these rumours saying that it'll be shown this year at E3. Then it gets changed to TGS. And then the cycle repeats over and over. I'm tired of this now, I just want it to end.

Salaadin

I remember the day that first trailer was leaked. I was so happy. It was one of the most memorable trailers Ive ever seen.

That was like 20 years ago.

:(

This year, right guys? Next gen is out now, so they gotta show a big exclusive to really ramp up the hype! So that means it's happening, this time for sure...

bladerunner-thumb-510x227-39115.gif

Jonnax

Never a problem for me. I understood why they designed it like that and it's extremely bold. Unlike the floaty, weightless textures you see in most modern AAA titles.

I'm in the same boat. I really liked the way there was a weight when the camera changed direction. It felt like going against the momentum picked up by the character.

However, I think that the current way of super responsive control is the current fashion and it may be too risky in a metacritic-world to be too 'out there' in terms of design lest they be called old fashioned.

Salex_

We're getting kind of off-topic for the thread, but we had a whole thread or couple of threads on that and that doesn't change the fact that they've also expanded a number of their studios a lot prior to these new cuts despite making those cuts at the beginning of this year. As the article you linked to says the cuts were probably for a combination of studio issues and perhaps some fat and probably some in-between project turnover or something, and yes probably some for expenses too. Not that everything's perfect or anything, cuts happening sucks for those effected and some probably are linked to failed game projects but "entire studios" and "many high profile" seems like an exaggeration at least looking at the various articles about the cuts.

For example, we know SSM is getting atleast partially rebooted after a large scale failed project. Most of the reported 60 from SSM probably came from that game and they still have hundreds of employees. Despite the two high profile departures from ND, the arcticle sights they haven't even laid anyone off. And the studios that laid off people as you said are also still hiring.

The only main high profile people that left I think we've seen in articles are Hennig (which especially sucks since I've loved a lot of her games), Richmond (both from the same project), Stig after his project died, and lower down from them Killian.

You know why there's people who screaming doom like that guy? It's because the number of articles reporting people leaving/layoffs vs joining a studio is so unbalanced.

During that SSM layoff thing, they were still hiring. To just remind people, SSM has over 200 employees. SCE London studios, Media Molecule, Guerrilla Cambridge, and other studios were/are all hiring. So why don't we see articles reporting any of the new developers joining?

wapplew

I'm in the same boat. I really liked the way there was a weight when the camera changed direction. It felt like going against the momentum picked up by the character.

However, I think that the current way of super responsive control is the current fashion and it may be too risky in a metacritic-world to be too 'out there' in terms of design lest they be called old fashioned.

I'll never forgive them if they try to modernize the control to shitty auto everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom