• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a probability that we will see more LGBT chatacters in games?

Kater

Banned
With the success of titles like 'Gone Home' (my GOTY 2013). I began to wonder. Is it time for more games to have LGBT themed characters/themes?

maxcriden

I think we will see more LGBT characters in games, mostly indies for now though, and probably not in significant numbers for the time being.

Chev

Many games already just have a problem with women so i think we'll need to go one step at a time.

I think as we slowly see more representation in other popular mediums, it'll naturally trickel down to games. I can't really think of any major blockbusters that are rolling with openly LGBT protagonists, so I don't see why AAA games would start crossing the threshold.

I hope so. The lead writer for TR 2013 said that she wrote TR with Lara being a lesbian in mind, but I doubt CD/SE will ever go through with that.
I think we'll start getting LGBT companions/minor characters and DLC protagonists in the next few years, but I doubt we'll see LGBT full AAA game protagonists for quite a while.

Grayman

Hundred percent sure they will as representation is low now but society has been moving forward in this area quickly. Not so much to do with Gone Home but to do with entertainment media reaching a point where characters of many lifestyles are common.

Rikkun

With the success of titles like 'Gone Home' (my GOTY 2013). I began to wonder. Is it time for more games to have LGBT themed characters/themes?

I still have to play Gone Home and therefore I thank you.
Thanks.

Anyway, we'll see more. Because 2>1, the bigger series and studios will keep on playing it safe.

Kinsei

Banned
We'll probably see quite a few in indie games, but not in AAA games unless they're the butt of a joke or the villain.

ROMAD

Banned
If it does it does if it doesn't it doesn't, don't care. It's just one of those things that if it doesn't add anything to the story it won't happen because things like that are almost never done subtly

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I was playing Call of Duty and according to the people I was playing against there were a lot of gay soldiers in the game.

So I think it's already happening.

Rikkun

I hope so. The lead writer for TR 2013 said that she wrote TR with Lara being a lesbian in mind, but I doubt CD/SE will ever go through with that.
I think we'll start getting LGBT companions/minor characters and DLC protagonists in the next few years, but I doubt we'll see LGBT full AAA game protagonists for quite a while.

Sad to think one has to change the gender of his character to make him/her look "strong" (quotes because the game to me failed to convey that feeling, she basically never stopped whining, she was just forced through everything)

Indignate

That's in the DLC, right? Was it explicitly indicated or just hinted at? (Also, hypothetical question for anyone, if Joel was gay and kissed a man in The Last of Us would the game still be as popular?)

I'm talking about the main game. One of the supporting characters is homosexual.

Darksol

Have there been any transexual characters in any AAA game or otherwise? If so, it's gotta be a mighty short list. I think we'll see a lot more gay characters in the coming years, but I expect the T in LGBT will be last to gain acceptance in the gaming community.

Kater

Banned
I never really played but the reception to the The Ballad of Gay Tony DLC for GTAIV waa ver good so I'm optimistic,
Also good on the writer of TR, I love her interpretation of the story.

maxcriden

Will there is that AAA game that I won't mention because spoilers.

Yeah, you're right. Mostly indies, as I said, and that is a notable exception. Lesbian women have always been more accepted by mainstream audiences than gay men and other non-heteronormative sexualities though, right?

That's in the DLC, right? Was it explicitly indicated or just hinted at? (Also, hypothetical question for anyone, if Joel was gay and kissed a man in The Last of Us would the game still be as popular?)

Ellie kisses Riley in the DLC. Neil (the writer of the game) also said that he specifically wrote Ellie as being gay.

Perhaps. If they can make the sexuality of the character a element, and not a core defining trait (not making the character's persona all about them being gay) this would be great. The Last of Us did this great. Gone Home came off as pretentious.

Abriael

Banned
I'd rather see more *good* characters in games, regardless of gender and sexual orientation. That normally happens when authors don't feel compelled to please this or that group.

RytGear

Well, if they are going to be in the future they shouldn't all be portrayed as stereotypical flamboyant "pansies". Bill from The Last of Us was a perfect example of it done right.

Oersted

Yeah, you're right. Mostly indies, as I said, and that is a notable exception. Lesbian women have always been more accepted by mainstream audiences than gay men and other non-heteronormative sexualities though, right?

Yep. Lesbians appeal more to heterosexual males.

antitrop

Can you explain a bit on what you mean?
The Last of Us does a lot of things that other games don't do, both in gameplay and in story, and being a AAA game that prominently features non-exploitative LGBT characters is definitely something that most other games in its class don't do.

Just because Druckmann went there doesn't mean the rest of the industry will follow suit.

Some Nobody

Not exactly, but I wouldn't be mad if they did that. Lara and Sam could make a cute couple.

Same sex options need to be a 100% standard in any game with romance options. Across the board.

And I think the odds of getting an openly gay woman as the MC for a AAA game is far more likely, as that'll still appeal to 14 year old boys.

Until then we'll be stuck with games like Mass Effect, which is alright for the time being. I mean, my Sheppard was a lesbian through all those games and ME is one of the biggest franchises around.

Kater

Banned
Only game that comes to mind and did it in a grat way was TLOU

I'm not talking about Ellie
Never played TLOU because I don't have a PS3. However, I heard about a specific grerat side character a lot who is appearantly also gay. Don't spoil it because I will play it on PS4.

There is a difference between making a game with these characters just because and then doing it because of pressure, being forced, to please a group, to gain attention, or only for temporary benefit. A similar issue happens in reality, until people realize that I would prefer such characters dont be put in games.

Half the posts in this thread alarm me greatly.

Top Bottom