• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC) coming to the Nintendo 3DS eShop

RiggyRob

Man, this is giving me a massive case of nostalgia. I remember playing this on one of those 'magic' 50 in 1 Gameboy cartridges. Loads of fun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
fuck yes

best Pokemon game ever made (unless the japan-only sequel was better, haven't played that)

The Japan-sequel basically added the (for the time) new Team Rocket expansion that came out in the America when Japan was getting PTCG2.

Zeyphersan said:
Does this mean we have a better chance of getting Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal?

Highly unlikely. They want you to buy X/Y and Ruby/Sapphire. They've got no plans of ever releasing a PTCG expansion ever again. :(

Woo, I loved this back in the day. Great way to play the TCG without the cost of buying boosters :p

Would definitely welcome a new game like this. The free app from Pokemon.com for the TCG is good, but definitely needs a more adventure-like structure for single player.

Velcro Fly

Yeah I just messed with that free online thing and it was cool but I don't know any of the cards so it's slow going for me right now.

Still hope it won't take NA months to get this game on the VC.

Fast menus but as the speedrun showed there are so many cheese strategies (the mid-game 1xScyther only deck* being one that springs to mind)

*-What were to happen if Scyther was in the prizes (you would never have a Pokemon in hand...) or doesn't it work like that.

best pokemon rpg on gameboy by a mile

fucking incredible soundtrack

As someone who loves playing trading card games but hates spending stupid amounts of cash on them, I wish more "everything in one package" TCG games like this existed, where you can collect whole series of cards and build custom decks. Or maybe they do and I just don't pay attention.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't understand how people get excited for these old ass roms.

Call me when they announce a new TCG.

There are people that didnt get to play these games when they were first released or just want to relive them - not that hard to figure out.

maxcriden

OMG this was a great game. Well, when I was a kid it was. Hopefully I'm not just remembering it with rose-colored glasses, anyone play it more recently? Hopefully it'll hit the US eShop soon enough.

OMG this was a great game. Well, when I was a kid it was. Hopefully I'm not just remembering it with rose-colored glasses, anyone play it more recently? Hopefully it'll hit the US eShop soon enough.

I was just thinking this exact thing.... I remember borrowing it from a friend and beating it as a kid, but I can hardly remember anything about the actual game now..

Andrefpvs

BOUGHT

SO BOUGHT

HOLY CRAP, THIS GAME

__

Hopefully TPC greenlights a new TCG video game on 3DS after this one is an inevitable success.

CassSept

I'm... legitimately surprised this happened. I remember really liking this game back over 10 years ago, it was quite great if lacking in some areas.

Didn't expect Ninty to actually release it for VC though.

Fast menus but as the speedrun showed there are so many cheese strategies (the mid-game 1xScyther only deck* being one that springs to mind)

*-What were to happen if Scyther was in the prizes (you would never have a Pokemon in hand...) or doesn't it work like that.

If I recall correctly, if your opening hand has no playable pokemon, you reshuffle your hand into your deck and draw a new one, repeating until you get a pokemon. Possibly the shuffling includes the prizes, which would get around that issue.

Can't wait to play this again, absolutely loved it back in the day. If it didn't mean braving the spiders in the shed I'd dig out my original copy and a SP to play it on.

harmonize

Does this mean we have a better chance of getting Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal?
The fact that they haven't put them up already is some seriously stupid decision making on Nintendo's part. Easy money, and I doubt it'd splinter off the fanbase anymore than the 2D retro Mario and Donkey Kong games up on the eShop have with their respective 3DS software counterparts.

flohen95

Does this mean the traditional RPG's are coming?

Veeeery unlikely, since the supposed reason for not releasing them on VC was that the core mechanic of Pokémon (trading with other players) wouldn't work and you thus couldn't complete the game by catching them all. Unless they work on a fix for that (emulating the link cable through the 3DS's wireless connection), we'll never see a rerelease of those games.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I might give a try, but I sorely doubt that this's the best Gameboy Pokémon games when the main series exist.

Does this mean the traditional RPG's are coming?

Not in a million years.

This release might show them that there is a demand and influence the development of a new game. win/win :)

Yep, this was how Sin and Punishment 2 came to be as sales for Sin and Punishment on the Wii Virtual console were pretty good.

JoeM86

The fact that they haven't put them up already is some seriously stupid decision making on Nintendo's part. Easy money, and I doubt it'd splinter off the fanbase anymore than the 2D retro Mario and Donkey Kong games up on the eShop have with their respective 3DS software counterparts.

Considering it'd lose the multiplayer aspect, which is why Pokémon is so popular, they have made the right decision.

harmonize

Considering it'd lose the multiplayer aspect, which is why Pokémon is so popular, they have made the right decision.
Something tells me that these would sell well by eShop standards regardless of whether or not they'd be able to implement multiplayer.

JoeM86

Something tells me that these would sell well by eShop standards regardless of whether or not they'd be able to implement multiplayer.

Doesn't matter if they'd sell. Nintendo/GameFreak aren't EA. They don't like releasing severely gimped software.

TreIII

Andrefpvs said:
Hopefully TPC greenlights a new TCG video game on 3DS after this one is an inevitable success.

They really need to. I mean, with all the YGO game adaptations that come out year after year, you'd think there's enough evidence to support that a game port of PokéTCG wouldn't step on the physical game's toes. Hell, you might get a few more customers, that way.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doesn't matter if they'd sell. Nintendo/GameFreak aren't EA. They don't like releasing severely gimped software.

Is Pokemon TCG on Virtual Console not a gimped release? No battling, trading or Card Pop. It's impossible to collect Venusaur or Mew.

Nintendo and GameFreak are perfectly allowed to decide what thy consider a level of gimped, but there's no harm in consumers having an opinion or *shock* being given a choice. To some people, the original Pokemon games may have been completely single player affairs while others would consider Pokemon TCG's eShop release a gimped tragedy. Each to their own.

sörine

Banned
I mean, I guess that's true but it doesn't seem to keep them from releasing other multiplayer GB/GBC/GBA games on the Virtual Console?

Renta

Banned
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Great thing to wake up to! Pls dont wait until December NoA.

I'm a huge pokemon fan, I even got it on my license plate. But I never learned how to officially play the card game, I used the rock paper scissor method.

Gurrry

I hope to god this is just a "feeler" to see how well it sells. Then they will finally make an updated version!!!!!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Clearly releasing a Pokemon gameboy game without retaining its connectivity features is beneath Nintendo.

No just not cost effective, they aren't going to spend money on getting an old Pokémon game fully working when they can easily sell you a new version at full price.

sörine;119867177 said:
I mean, I guess that's true but it doesn't seem to keep them from releasing other multiplayer GB/GBC/GBA games on the Virtual Console?

Pokémon is different, without the multiplayer you would be locked out on some Pokémon, want to evolve your Kadabra into Alakazam? Too bad we didn't add the trading function.

There's also the fact that Game Freak put every effort into ensure that all main series game can connect with each other, which they managed to do from gen 3 on-wards. Gen 1 and 2 would not allow that and those Pokémon would be trapped in those game forever.

I don't understand how people get excited for these old ass roms.

Call me when they announce a new TCG.

People get excited because it's a legit opportunity to buy a classic title and let Nintendo you want more of a certain thing. Because if they can make money off an original release and get a load of surveys going "hey can we have a new one please!" - that can go into their consideration pile for new titles.

It's also well priced, not everyone has a gameboy to hand, and carts for Pokemon TCG still go for about £5-10 + run the risk these days of having a busted save battery. A VC version removes the battery issue and gives everyone with a 3DS a chance to rediscover one of Pokemon's better spin-off titles

Top Bottom