• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Took a trip to Montana this past weekend and my 950 failed me so many times, I was furious. Missed out on photos, video--even just adding contacts, because it kept freezing, not waking up, or rebooting.

Doing a hard reset sometime this week and gonna give it a month. Jumping ship if it keeps happening and/or MS doesn't update the firmware significantly--really can't stand this shit anymore. My dedication to this platform makes less sense every year.

NeOak

Took a trip to Montana this past weekend and my 950 failed me so many times, I was furious. Missed out on photos, video--even just adding contacts, because it kept freezing, not waking up, or rebooting.

Doing a hard reset sometime this week and gonna give it a month. Jumping ship if it keeps happening and/or MS doesn't update the firmware significantly--really can't stand this shit anymore. My dedication to this platform makes less sense every year.
I think that's more W10 than the firmware. It did that shit on my 1520, and that firmware is stable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I felt that way in December and early January, ready to cut and run, but then I got on the fast ring and did a hard reset and so far my phone is super stable and I'm really enjoying the platform again. I'm hoping it's not something where it just degrades with time like android and big Windows.

I guess that means they'll be pushing Redstone builds to fast and slow rings in the future and the release ring will just feed you the cumulative updates for 10586

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Guys, if your own a WM10 device and you love podcasts, check out Grover Pro. Fast, clean, and although it's $3, you get the desktop version because it's a universal app.

clav

Maybe not Beta, but I thought they were fairly upfront with the idea that Windows 10 is a platform that will continue to be built upon.

It's weird seeing this philosophy from Microsoft since Microsoft's marketing has always made fun of Google for doing that.

Pay for instability now for a better product later.

ElNino

Guys, if your own a WM10 device and you love podcasts, check out Grover Pro. Fast, clean, and although it's $3, you get the desktop version because it's a universal app.
Have you tried it? I saw the article on WC and it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but I haven't tried it yet.

I currently use Podcast Lounge on the phone as it works best for downloading my podcase subs, but it's interface is pretty dated now. It "just works" though.

I also own and have tried Pocket Casts, and what it gains in UI appearance, it loses in functionality. It rarely downloads my podcasts correctly unless I do it manually and I often end up backing out of the app my mistake.

I'd like a good reliable podcast app that would sync between phone and PC. This one seems like a good bet.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have you tried it? I saw the article on WC and it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but I haven't tried it yet.

I currently use Podcast Lounge on the phone as it works best for downloading my podcase subs, but it's interface is pretty dated now. It "just works" though.

I also own and have tried Pocket Casts, and what it gains in UI appearance, it loses in functionality. It rarely downloads my podcasts correctly unless I do it manually and I often end up backing out of the app my mistake.

I'd like a good reliable podcast app that would sync between phone and PC. This one seems like a good bet.

I bought it today and I've listened to a few podcasts, but I haven't been able to take it through all it's paces (background sync, etc.). So far I'm very impressed with the speed and fluidity.

Does Grover sync between desktop and mobile? If it does, I'll move to that from pocket casts.

Yes, I tried it quickly, it's not something I would personally use a lot. I did have to manually hit a sync button for it to happen, haven't messed around with the settings to see if there is a way to automate it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Microsoft acquired Groove to improve Groove. I know nothing about there iOS app?

all they did was make it worse.
I have music that i have purchased legally, and that i either manually downloaded onto the phone via USB or uploaded to one drive and downloaded through one drive, well now out of fucking nowhere i can't listen to half of it because i need some sort of groove music pass. And then when i try to manually download them again, which is odd in the first place since they should already be on the phone, it says "Error there was a problem" so over half my playlists either have about half their songs unable to play or some that have 0 songs that will play.

Couple that with the fact that with every passing update my icon has become worse and worse, to the point now my mom sent me some pics tonight and i cant fucking see them because it says "download" and then i click "download" and nothing fucking happens.

I'm not that demanding on a phone, and i think im pretty forgiving on bugs, it is "preview" or "beta" software afterall, i dont need a bunch of apps, but i want the ones i have to work.

fuckingthingsucks.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
all they did was make it worse.
I have music that i have purchased legally, and that i either manually downloaded onto the phone via USB or uploaded to one drive and downloaded through one drive, well now out of fucking nowhere i can't listen to half of it because i need some sort of groove music pass. And then when i try to manually download them again, which is odd in the first place since they should already be on the phone, it says "Error there was a problem" so over half my playlists either have about half their songs unable to play or some that have 0 songs that will play.

Couple that with the fact that with every passing update my icon has become worse and worse, to the point now my mom sent me some pics tonight and i cant fucking see them because it says "download" and then i click "download" and nothing fucking happens.

I'm not that demanding on a phone, and i think im pretty forgiving on bugs, it is "preview" or "beta" software afterall, i dont need a bunch of apps, but i want the ones i have to work.

fuckingthingsucks.gif

That sucks. I've been fortunate enough to have very few issues with the W10 app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The new build seems pretty good so far.

Also not sure if was the most recent Band 2 firmware but the music conttols work better now.

Zeknurn

So what's better, Grover Pro or Cast? They both are universal and feature syncing between desktop and mobile, also the latter is free but I'm up for buying Grover Pro if it's better.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Grover is in beta, it's still picking up features where I think Cast is more fully featured. But the core experience on Grover is great, feels very much like a 1st party app at times. So if the $3 is a big deal for you, or you need all the features, just use Cast and wait to see how Grover comes along.

n64coder

I couldn't hold out any longer. Yesterday the battery life on my 950 XL was terrible and a couple of times it got really warm and crashed. Installing the slow ring insider builds now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
That sucks. I've been fortunate enough to have very few issues with the W10 app.
yea and the other stuff i posted about a month or more ago still happens. My phone routinely resets itself after taking a photo. I have to like quickly take the photo and then exit the app and most of the time it wont crash. But if stupid me tries to take two pictures in a row it crashes about half the time.

I couldn't hold out any longer. Yesterday the battery life on my 950 XL was terrible and a couple of times it got really warm and crashed. Installing the slow ring insider builds now.
yea my battery life has gotten abysmal. It used over 25% just listening to music in airplane mode, wasn't playing any games, or otherwise using the phone except for music on a 3 hour flight the other day.

hadareud

The Translator
Weird. My battery life is as good as ever.

Charged it last night while installing the latest build and it's on 65% now (17 hours later).

n64coder

yea and the other stuff i posted about a month or more ago still happens. My phone routinely resets itself after taking a photo. I have to like quickly take the photo and then exit the app and most of the time it wont crash. But if stupid me tries to take two pictures in a row it crashes about half the time.

yea my battery life has gotten abysmal. It used over 25% just listening to music in airplane mode, wasn't playing any games, or otherwise using the phone except for music on a 3 hour flight the other day.

Which build are you on? I was on 10586.29 (production) and just switched to insider slow 10586.71.

nan0

Since the last two Fast-Ring builds the notifications for mail, WhatsApp etc. are broken (no messages in notification center, no sound, no vibration). Any else have the same problem?

Nero3000

Since the last two Fast-Ring builds the notifications for mail, WhatsApp etc. are broken (no messages in notification center, no sound, no vibration). Any else have the same problem?

After the update to .79 Was broken for me on the Band 2. Slowly fixed itself but now with .107 broken again...slowing fixing itself aswell.

NeOak

Can you disable encryption? That seems to eat battery like crazy both on W10 and Android.

It did on my 1520, but I think the SD800 doesn't have HW encryption.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder what Rubino is teasing. He was at some location with Mary Jo and a few others. He tweeted WP is not dead, and wait until you see.

??

Thinking app announcements/new features?

app announcements may not even be enough now. there are no phones out there for people to buy. only fanboys know about the Microsoft store.

hadareud

The Translator
Maybe some decent app announcement or even better, some decent stats. "windows phone users spent 10,000 hours swiping their keyboards last year".

Wonder what Rubino is teasing. He was at some location with Mary Jo and a few others. He tweeted WP is not dead, and wait until you see.

??

Thinking app announcements/new features?

That arrogant prick is probably teasing his own self important asshole again.

A Samsung device?

That would only matter, if they'd brand it as a Galaxy and sell it like one. Otherwise it would be just another Ativ.

Hey awesome, with the new build, text/image scaling in the mail app is fixed. I complained about it here

As someone who used to create html email newsletters, the combination of a 1440p screen with the Word rendering engine is making me really sad. Text gets blown up to be readable but images stay their own size, so a 50x50px icon is practically invisible. Maybe I should just make a big Word only button to take you to the browser because the mail app does support VML

Now please support media queries :>
its never going to happen

Paganmoon

Hmm, latest fast ring (now also on slow ring) update MIGHT have broken something with Wifi and ipv6.

We've had some issues with our wifi today being overloaded, due to something sending lots of data to mobile phones. Our net-ops are claiming it's my Windows Phone sending DHCPv6 request broadcasts 1000 a second (thing is, our network isn't even ipv6 aware, so not sure why the hell that'd even be a problem considering I'm sitting at another location, and broadcasts shouldn't go over our switches anyway).

But there -might- be a problem.

Also, could very well be part of the age old "dev-ops blames net-ops, net-ops blames dev-ops".

I work at dev-ops and think net-ops are just looking for a scapegoat...

Top Bottom