• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Controller Revealed

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Update:

Mortal Kombat Controller First Footage Revealed

Yoohoo!!!! They changed into D-pad!!!!

Day1 purchase confirmed!!

AFYKS2l.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mortal_kombat_x_67287d2s98.jpg

1410625957yeszm.jpg

A Mortal Kombat X themed controller was revealed at the GameStop Expo earlier this week. The controller is very minimalist in design missing a D-Pad and triggers. The bumper buttons are laid out next to the normal buttons to be more accessible when pulling off combos. The design itself is weird and sports an asymmetrical design with the right side curved off. The menu buttons are along the top of controller.

Despite only seeing an Xbox controller in the picture, it is noted that a Playstation controller will also be released alongside it. This is the first officially licensed Mortal Kombat X controller for either system at this point.

Keep in mind the controllers are still pending approval and there could be some alterations made before they are released to the public.

http://gamingjudgement.com/mortal-kombat-x-controller-revealed/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No D-pad? WTF? I get that they're trying to make it a mini arcade stick, but still.

Orayn

Bleh, just a next-gen update and paintjob of the same not-so-great FightPads PDP's been putting out for a while now.

If the build quality is dramatically better these would actually be quite nice, but... It's PDP. I have very little faith in that happening.

Xater

Uuuuh who the fuck thought it's a smart decision to have an analog stick but no d-pad? That better be just a digital stick. Also I think that kind of button layout is bad for MK, the normal controllers are much more suited to that game.

Orayn

Why do they insist on removing the dpad?

No D-pad? WTF? I get that they're trying to make it a mini arcade stick, but still.

LMAO @ NO DPAD

So basically a Genesis controller with a joystick. Looks a bit odd.

How can you have a fighting game controller not have a digital pad? Must be a significant redesign of the game control.

It's an 8-way microswitched (clicky) thumbstick, similar to what the Neo Geo CD and Neo Geo Pocket Color had. Bit of an odd design, but perfectly suited to fighting games when you get used to it.

Allforce

I don't even mind the shape and layout of the controller, I get what they're going for. But why just slap some shitty art on it like that all over? It's lazy.

This could have been decorated much more subtle and still retained an awesome "Mortal Kombat" identity.

Fitts

PDP fightpads. I hope they improved the quality over their last-gen counterparts.

If they did, then I'll bite. I won't be playing MK, but it would encourage me to get Xrd and I've been looking to get away from fightsticks since the only game I "need" it for is Street Fighter 4.

Orayn

I want to know why they chose the analog stick over the d-pad. There must be something we're missing if this is the official controller.

You're missing that it's not an analog stick, and that this is just an updated version of a controller that PDP has been putting out since 2011 when they introduced it for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Xater

You're missing that it's not an analog stick, and that this is just an updated version of a controller that PDP has been putting out since 2011 when they introduced it for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Which would still mean it's a pretty bad button layout for MK.

galvatron

It's an 8-way microswitched (clicky) thumbstick, similar to what the Neo Geo CD and Neo Geo Pocket Color had. Bit of an odd design, but perfectly suited to fighting games when you get used to it.

Neo CD pads didn't click on the ones I've tried...also, too much throw for my tastes. If it's as good as NGPC's thumbstick then people might be pleasantly surprised.

Miker

ITT: people who have never seen a NeoGeo pad..

Well, maybe. Is there any confirmation that it's actually a clicky switch-based stick like the NeoGeo pocket? With a controller as ugly as that, I wouldn't be surprised if the left stick was a normal analog stick. Also, I've never had the chance to use a NeoGeo pocket, but I hear the 8-way stick is amazing.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Looks decent, if the pad has a strong tactile click to it then it's even better (and more comfortable) than a traditional d-pad, that's a big if of course. I'm hoping MadCatz comes out with some Xbone/PS4 fightpads soon as well.

OH, I'm familiar with them on NGPC and the NGCD pad, then. Makes sense, but no traditional D-pad offered alongside as an option still seems strange.

Well, maybe. Is there any confirmation that it's actually a clicky switch-based stick like the NeoGeo pocket? With a controller as ugly as that, I wouldn't be surprised if the left stick was a normal analog stick. Also, I've never had the chance to use a NeoGeo pocket, but I hear the 8-way stick is amazing.

I'd imagine it's like the NeoGeo stick otherwise they're really fucking up.

Orayn

It looks exactly the same as the other "Versus" pads PDP has released for various games and in non-licensed form. Changing it to an analog stick just for this version would mean putting engineering effort into making it worse at its original purpose, which is something I doubt even PDP would do.

Miker

It looks exactly the same as the other "Versus" pads PDP has released for various games and in non-licensed form. Changing it to an analog stick just for this version would mean putting engineering effort into making it worse at its original purpose, which is something I doubt even PDP would do.

Ah, okay. I'm not familiar w/ the company or their controllers. If it resembles the NeoGeo stick, then that's great, because

I'd imagine it's like the NeoGeo stick otherwise they're really fucking up.

Top Bottom