• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Controller Revealed

The button layout for the Mortal Kombat fightstick pictured above blows my mind. It just doesn't look normal at all. Hopefully it Atleast plays well. I'll probably never know as I got my 2 Madcats Tournament edition Fightsticks already

vg260

This can't be MS. Looks cheap, and the button layout....

It's not, it's PDP, a third party peripheral company.

What the issue with the layout? You realize it's supposed to emulate an arcade button layout.

I seriously don't get what people expect controllers to look like. What is a "pretty" controller? what would make this "pretty" while still being ergonomic, not to mention having to carry some sort of game branding? Please explain what's so offensive about the appearance? or do people just like a chance to post vomit gifs? This is as about as inoffensive as I'd expect from a licensed fightpad.

It's not, it's PDP, a third party peripheral company.

What the issue with the layout? You realize it's supposed to emulate an arcade button layout.

I seriously don't get what people expect controllers to look like. What is a "pretty" controller? what would make this "pretty" while still being ergonomic, not to mention having to carry some sort of game branding? Please explain what's so offensive about the appearance? or do people just like a chance to post vomit gifs? This is as about as inoffensive as I'd expect from a licensed fightpad.

It's just ugly, that's my opinion. I've never liked the "franchise branding" of controllers. Only a few have been pulled off, and this isn't one of them IMO.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
The button layout for the Mortal Kombat fightstick pictured above blows my mind. It just doesn't look normal at all. Hopefully it Atleast plays well. I'll probably never know as I got my 2 Madcats Tournament edition Fightsticks already
it's the traditional arcade layout for MK

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The one big news I gather from this is that there's finally a 360 - One cross-gen compatibility possibility. MarkMan, why weren't you guys first with this, especially with sticks?

I'd rather be able to use my TE LE on my eventual XB1, but this is the next best thing I guess.

This can't be MS. Looks cheap, and the button layout....
648.gif

The thing says "Mortal Kombat X" on it, and even has a big-ass MK logo on it.

Yes it's ugly, but that doesn't make it impossible to see that it's not from Microsoft.

glaurung

The existence of this horribly glistening controller is proof of a conspiracy that they want to make a proper fighting stick and sell it for $500.

Glistening. Glistening like a wet otter.

vg260

I'd prefer a non-branded controller, too. However, given the fact it does carry branding, it's a step in the right direction in terms of toning down the gaudy art that have been on these in more recent years. Being primarily black with only a logo and game title text helps in that regard. A smaller logo would be better though.

The controller design itself looks fine to me, but material wise it does look somewhat cheap.

The thing says "Mortal Kombat X" on it, and even has a big-ass MK logo on it.

Yes it's ugly, but that doesn't make it impossible to see that it's not from Microsoft.

See that big fat Home button in the shape of an X? That's what I was going by. There's been plenty of Microsoft controllers with the game's symbols and design on them so it was safe to assume that it could have been.

Aaron D.

It's modeled after the arcade unit layout.

The build quality is the best I've ever seen for a home-use fight stick. It's a full wood construction with brass fittings and a felt-cushioned base, with a flip-top lid for storage with a removable clear-plastic fitting over the guts to customize as desired.

P7vAcmb.jpg

The whole package is amazing.

What's so ugly about it other than it being glossy? It's relatively understated compared to some of the previous pads.

Random off center logo, random game name placement under buttons. Controller is oddly rounded everywhere. Some hard lines/edges would fit the style of MK more. Also it's so glossy. Looks like it was dipped in petroleum jelly or something.

It's just... ugly. It looks like they just slapped the logos on there and were like, "yeah that's good enough". It could be way more elegant and adopt some of the style of MK while being understated. A sharper name treatment centered at the top, some subtle accents around the buttons or D-Pad. Dragon logo I'd have to think about. Might be better off on the back somewhere but that would probably up the production cost. And of course I would like a more textured/matte grip. More along the lines of say the PS4 controller. Actual pad shape is ok, except again, I would probably go for harder edges along the top, maybe flatten the button areas instead of having it rounded. That's a tossup.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The one big news I gather from this is that there's finally a 360 - One cross-gen compatibility possibility. MarkMan, why weren't you guys first with this, especially with sticks?

We have been working on this with Microsoft for quite some time now. :)

Xbudz

The build quality is the best I've ever seen for a home-use fight stick. It's a full wood construction with brass fittings and a felt-cushioned base, with a flip-top lid for storage with a removable clear-plastic fitting over the guts to customize as desired.

P7vAcmb.jpg

This works on Xbox One if you have CronusMax
pmFYx2O.jpg

You could also get a Sega Saturn USB controller working with that thing.

Vlade

so, it's a genesis controller? can i still ABACABB on it?

That pdp Mk stick has a solid body, but the parts were crap. I replaced them with REAL IL parts

me too and i love it now. is there a way to use a ps3 one on the ps4?

SystemUser

P7vAcmb.jpg

This thing was nice especially for the price. I was really close to get one or two of these, but I would much rather have a 6 or 8 button layout instead of the MK arcade layout. The fit and finish of the box was really nice. The stick and buttons weren't the most phenomenal, but they were still pretty good and standard size so it is easy to swap. Also there is a stable memory foam cushion in the middle that makes it great for lap use, but cushion is placement doesn't interfere with table top use.

Will grab one for retro gaming if it's not stupidly expensive.

One of our FGC guys in the city might well be interested too.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
See that big fat Home button in the shape of an X? That's what I was going by. There's been plenty of Microsoft controllers with the game's symbols and design on them so it was safe to assume that it could have been.

Plenty? I can't think of any that had any other brand names on them.

I'm not sure why the SFIV Fightpads didn't have the dashboard button on them, but my MadCatz TE1 arcade stick certainly has that big fat home button in the shape of an X so that isn't a qualifier for coming straight from MS.

We have been working on this with Microsoft for quite some time now. :)

Yessssssss.

RyudBoy

Whoa... they switch out the analog stick for a d-pad. That switch for 360/XB1 is just icing on the cake. Definitely have my interest now. I hope the build quality is top notch.

SystemUser

PDP also made this too:
P1050195.jpg

I don't own any PDP stuff, but the Mortal Kombat (9) official stick was also made by PDP. The box was a solid build and the controls feel nice. They were standard size arcade stuff and swappable. Also it is made to work on your lap or a solid surface.

This is my first time seeing the Klassic stick that Mufausa posted above. I looked around the web and both are made by PDP and use Suzo-Happ parts. The biggest differences seem to be the MK9 stick has a fancier cabinet and black buttons. I grew up on heavy Happ springs in American arcades (but I think that I prefer the light touch of Sanwa now.)

I would like to try these new MK fight pads even though they are made by PDP. I remember when Madcatz was horrible, but some stuff they make now is okay. I think you have to go product by product with these things and not just live or die by the brand.

Top Bottom