• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Controller Revealed

LeleSocho

Banned
What's with this reaction people? It seems a pretty good fighting game pad, also it's absolutely obvious that it was a thumbstick and not an analog.

mdsfx

What's with this reaction people? It seems a pretty good fighting game pad, also it's absolutely obvious that it was a thumbstick and not an analog.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051MQJWU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

aZflIJj.jpg

English%5Cen-INTL_Xbox360_PDP_Versus_Pad_Controller_FLF-00032%5Cen-INTL_L_Xbox360_PDP_Versus_Pad_Controller_FLF-00032_mnco.jpg

Oberon

Banned
I don't know that much about fighting games, so what's up with the form?
The non isometric design makes me kind of freak out 0.o

Pachinko

Man, that looks great. I was just thinking this past week how nice it would be if someone could make a controller for fighting games that was in between a full blown arcade stick and a standard controller.

This looks very close to what I'd like to see. Basically I want to be able to use my right hand to hit buttons the same way I would on an arcade stick but also still just use my thumb on an analog stick to do special moves and the like.

Orayn

Why is it missing half a grip and why am I the only one who finds this odd?

The idea is that you can hold it like a painter's palette, with your left hand gripping and using the thumbstick, and your index fingers on the face buttons if you want.

mdsfx

Man, that looks great. I was just thinking this past week how nice it would be if someone could make a controller for fighting games that was in between a full blown arcade stick and a standard controller.

This looks very close to what I'd like to see. Basically I want to be able to use my right hand to hit buttons the same way I would on an arcade stick but also still just use my thumb on an analog stick to do special moves and the like.

:)
B15FightPad1.jpg

Alfredo

As it's been said, it looks like it's just a re-skin of the existing PDP fightpads.

Modern Mortal Kombat games are pretty much designed with the d-pad in mind, unlike other fighting games, so this probably isn't a good buy. I bet the preferred MK X controller will be some form of the DualShock...

Khezu

For Mortal Kombat, I think I would much prefer 4 face buttons and 4 shoulder buttons.

Two extra face buttons don't really help much.

Is this made by PDP?

I had a MvC3 controller just like this. If you're wondering, it's not an analog stick. It's a nub with 8 microswitches for the 8 directions.

The thing stopped working within 4 months. If you aren't aware PDP used to be called...Pelican.

Degen

I don't know that much about fighting games, so what's up with the form?
The non isometric design makes me kind of freak out 0.o
The lopsidedness is actually nice for fighting games. You can hold the left side normally, and arch your right hand up (like you're typing) so you get full control.

The D-pad is what screws up the PDP pad(s). It's a cool concept but it makes double-tapping a direction a nightmare. I'm also not a fan of the clicky buttons. They remind me of a 1990's cell phone and have no texture to them.

This is the fightpad for grown-ass men:

4Z7bNLR.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care about your 8-way clicky analog thumb. No D-pad in a fighting game controller is a disgrace.

Skunkers

I don't care about your 8-way clicky analog thumb. No D-pad in a fighting game controller is a disgrace.

Honestly, for general use in fighting games, the clicky stick is probably better than a D-pad (ask anyone who has owned a NGPC or NGCD). But here is where you are right, and this is the problem: Mortal Kombat is not just any fighting game. Like Tekken, Mortal Kombat uses a lot of "tap, tap" motions like "back, back"or "forward, forward"; and that purpose is pretty much the one place where sticks and pads are both superior to a clicky stick. If this was for most other 2d fighters, it would be brilliant, it's just weird they chose MKX of all games to launch a clicky stick controller.

The lopsidedness is actually nice for fighting games. You can hold the left side normally, and arch your right hand up (like you're typing) so you get full control.

The D-pad is what screws up the PDP pad(s). It's a cool concept but it makes double-tapping a direction a nightmare. I'm also not a fan of the clicky buttons. They remind me of a 1990's cell phone and have no texture to them.

This is the fightpad for grown-ass men:

4Z7bNLR.jpg

Hori now has a Fighting Commander 4 out now that's compatible with both PS3 and PS4

main_f.jpg

Nasbin

Somebody needs to secure the rights to start churning out quality Saturn controllers again, aka The GOAT. Accept no substitutes.

OmegaDL50

Is the MK layout really that important for the game? I don't see why you couldn't just use a normal 6-button setup and bind both middle buttons to block instead of having the X-shape.

That could work, but MKX isn't exactly going to be adhering to the original standards the HP, LP, LK, HK of the old MKs since there are now unique attacks per button for each character now. I'd say much like MK9 every character doesn't have a generic set of normals like MK1,2,3 and 4, and rather have their own individual and diverse normal attacks, so the old MK layout is much less applicable nowadays.

Still, if some MUST use the old MK layout to this day, then the following would work.

LP BLK RP
LK STA RK

Of course having the Block and Stance Switch dead center for X-Ray would off putting and would require too much additional traveling over the controller for chains and combos, which is why the default layout on the controller seems more preferable and makes more sense for MK9 / 10.

fernoca

Why the fuck would you release a fighting game controller without a D-pad? Did we time warp back to 1995?
Did we had console fighting games without d-pads in 1995? SNES, Genesis, etc. Used d-pad. Even the MK controllers back then had d-pad. :p

This one is a...marriage of sorts between d-pad and analog.

The closest thing would be for someone to try the current PDP controller in MK2011 and see how it plays.

Jedi2016

Reminds me of the six-button Genesis pad I had back in the day. I could kick some serious ass in MK on that controller.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, uh, is Mad Catz making a fight pad? I rocked one of those for my X360 fighters, I want one for my Xbox One so I can be competent in MKX and Killer Instinct.

I really wish someone would take a serious look at making the defacto perfect fightpad. I love fighting games as a pad player, but I have had such a problem finding a pad with the kind of d-pad that suits me along with good buttons and placement. The only d-pad I ever liked was the one on my six button sega genesis controller, the feel of that one hasn't been replicated in any controller I've tried to this day.

ElTopo

Banned
I really wish someone would take a serious look at making the defacto perfect fightpad. I love fighting games as a pad player, but I have had such a problem finding a pad with the kind of d-pad that suits me along with good buttons and placement. The only d-pad I ever liked was the one on my six button sega genesis controller, the feel of that one hasn't been replicated in any controller I've tried to this day.

If I had the engineering skills I'd launch a kickstarter.

Eusis

It's not fucking analog.

No seriously people, this is for all intents and purposes a thumb joystick, NOT an actual analog nub/stick. Digital, clicks in 8 directions, does not travel far because there's no reason without analog input... when done right it's arguably superior to a traditional D-Pad.

And that's kind of the thing really. the NG pad is purportedly good, and trying its little brother the NGPC joystick was a revelatory experience. But trying out that PDP stick was... not so hot. Hopefully they either finetune it and become more respectable third party accessory manufacturers, or SNK gets their own XB1/PS4 solution out there.

Yeah id much prefer a DPAD. Other than that it's fine. Or id prefer an adaptor with no input lag so i can use my expensive X360 sticks on the current XB1 system.

I have no room in my house for additional fight sticks when i have a Viewlix RA PRO sitting there and a Madcatz TE stick.

I bought their first pad they made, the Marvel one.
51r-pA3bIXL.jpg

First I like to say, the pad works very well..When it works..I'm a stick player and a pad player. I return this pad more than five times at Gamestop back then. The pad only lasted for me less than a week. The buttons are the best I ever felt on a pad. But the microswitch stick is the problem. It keeps breaking, and I even tried the vanilla version of these pads, they keep breaking. The problem is, is the way they are soder, to flimsy. If they figured how to make them durable, I'll get them but PDP already burned me more than once.

Top Bottom