• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you see Titanfall or Destiny as huge FPS franchises by the end of this gen?

Destiny. The base they have built is a very solid foundation. All it really needs is some world building (like actually attempt to build a believable world this time) and a good narrative.

barit

For me definitely Destiny

I like to hate on the game but for some odd reasons i can't stop playing it

Now imagine if Bungie fix the MMO part with amazing lewt, raids and social stuff then this game would hook me 24/7 up

KingV

Destiny yes, quality doesn't even matter with a game like that when you have Activision's massive marketing budget. I think (hope) Bungie will get it right with the sequel, it has the potential to be amazing.

Titanfall... probably? Sequel will be multiplatform with a larger budget and more development time (single player campaign this time). I think it could go either way depending on how CoD Advance Wars does. Maybe people will play the new CoD and feel they've had their fill of Titanfall. Or maybe it'll get people even more interested in Titanfall.

IMO, Titanfall 2 has the potential to be huge. I love the way that game plays, and the biggest complaints seem to be 'not enough stuff'.

Destiny is flawed in much more fundamental ways. To be a huge franchise going forward, it can't just be 'more'. It has to be fundamentally different. That's a lot harder to deliver on.

Titanfall sold what, 3M or so on a platform that hasn't sold 6M yet?

Yeah... Titanfall is doing as well as you could expect. It's the best selling XBO title (not sure if that's still the case with Destiny out now though)

I don't think we have reliable sales figures for Titanfall, let alone a clear indication of how many copies it sold just on Xbone. It's *nowhere* near 3 million copies on that one platform though. LOL at such a suggestion.

Nephtes

I think Destiny could be a major FPS franchise by the end of the generation if Bungie fixes the mess of a story in the game fast. December is too late IMHO. This is a case where the single player story has left such a bad taste in my mouth, I kind of dont even want to mess with the PVP anymore.

Conversely Titanfall could be big, but the next game absolutely requires a competent single player story and a next gen engine (playing Titanfall after Destiny makes me realize how awful the graphics are...).

I don't buy the idea that exclusivity hurt Titanfall. Halo was exclusive, it's huge. Uncharted was exclusive, it's huge. Bloodborne is most certainly exclusive and the general wisdom is that it will be huge...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope so. They both have huge potential that deserves to be developed more.

sense

destiny should only get better but i am not sure about titanfall

titanfall - played for a week and got bored and seemed like people might just stick with cod if they want that kind of gameplay since it offers a lot more variety and has decent sp and coop stuff as well. they have to come to other platforms and also have a good single player campaign and coop and also more multiplayer gametypes. the core gameplay is probably better than cod but yea it is a tall order for the game to get big even if it comes to other platforms.

Destiny probably will through the power of Activision marketing.

Titanfall only has a future as a multi-platform series, as others have stated.

Chris1

Titanfall IMO. Gameplay wise it was nailed to a T, the only thing is that there wasn't enough content.

Multi platform, single player, coop mode, burn cards market, challenges, something in game to work for (think killstreaks) to spice up each game and make it different, more guns, more attachments, camos & special camos (think diamond from cod) and I think the game has potential to be huge.

Titanfall is my most played game by far and my most favourite game this gen despite it's lack of content, whereas Destiny.. I just wasn't feeling it in the beta. Not my type of game, but honestly they're two completely types of games and aren't really comparable.

Shmuppers

Neither. I'd like to believe that the age of "huge FPS franchises" is over, and that something else will take it's place.

patapuf

i doubt either is going to be a small franchise but "huge" as in COD/GTA huge?

the second game for both need to be substantially better or in the case of destiny, post launch support needs to be great.

sense

You're saying it's not relevant now? I'm pretty sure the game is the highest selling X1 game so far. How is that not relevant?

it was marketed like the second coming of christ so ofcourse it sold very well but the talk around the game deflated so quickly after release that it was kinda shocking. unless they change things up drastically for the sequel i don't see it being a huge franchise.

I'm not sure... I guess Destiny has the bigger budget and an actual longlivety plan to stay in the spotlight for an extendet amount of time. There will be a second and a third game no matter what I guess... I don't see it tanking so bad that it gets canned, but I think it will underperform throughout and in 10 years it will not be the beacon of a game/series as it was intendet by Bungie to become.

Maybe huge in sales and userbase, slightly above average in perception.

The gameplay and presentation values on Destiny is so amazing and fun. They just need to fix the garbage story, loot system and totally revamp the character classes to actually make it matter what class you choose.

It has so much potential so there's a chance, but they have serious work to do.

Chris1

it was marketed like the second coming of christ so ofcourse it sold very well but the talk around the game deflated so quickly after release that it was kinda shocking. unless they change things up drastically for the sequel i don't see it being a huge franchise.
There was a topic a few weeks ago that you would list your most popular games with friends and Titanfall was consistently in the top 3 on almost everyones list, so I wouldn't say the activity died (at least not on xbox one), but you're right that the talk around the game deflated & not many people streaming.

Probably not a popular opinion here but that's why I think there should be some sort of killstreaks in TF2. Maybe not exactly like CoD but something to spice each game up, right now it's the same shit every game basically so there's really nothing to talk about, and there's no reason to watch a stream because once you've seen one game you've kinda seen them all. With CoD people stream going for MOAB/Nukes/Swarms etc which adds a little excitement to it and keeps people talking about it.

Daemul

I don't think any of them will ever become GTA/COD big, but I can see them reaching Assassins Creed levels. Though I do have some question marks about Destiny, because the hate for this game has been insane, near Mass Effect 3 ending levels of hate. I'll have to wait and see what sort of reception the second game receives.

Muffdraul

After playing both games recently, I would love to see Destiny 2 be to Destiny 1 what Assassins Creed 2 was to Assassins Creed 1. If they can pull that off, but then not continue to follow the AC franchise model of mediocre filler, they could definitely snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

But Titanfall... meh. I'm just not that into MP, I thought maybe Titanfall would do something new and exciting and pull me in despite its lack of SP. I was very very wrong. I won't buy another Titanfall game if it doesn't have an SP component and I think I'm in the same boat as a lot of people.

I think it's obvious that Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform. I'm pretty sure EA have regretted their close ties to MS these past 10 months, and they will not be wanting to repeat that and scupper their games before they're even out of the door.

The way MS execs were talking about Titanfall makes me think it was just that one game they had the exclusive on, although I suppose they might have Titanfall 2 as a timed exclusive like with Mass Effect 2.

Destiny very likely. I would be surprised if it didn't turn out to be a huge blockbuster series.

Titanfall not so much. Even if it drops its exclusivity I doubt it will do huge numbers. The gameplay is absolutely brilliant and a breath of fresh air but unfortunately it is too complex to appeal to the masses. I think COD AW will prove this assertion to be true. People like to play games they are comfortable with.

PrestigiousTheseBumblebee.gif

No it isn't...

In what ways is Titanfall to complicated? I found it no more difficult to jump into than CoD.

marketing is going to be marketing. Titanfall delievered on gameplay. They don't need to change anythign, they just need to add more content, more meta junk, and some 6 hour single player and that's it.

Destiny for sure; Bungie will continue tightening up the game until people are happy with it, that's just how they've always done.

Titanfall has some cool aspects to it but they're going to have to completely change the formula for me to find it more interesting. Kill the bots, up the ttk, make the Titan gameplay more fun, add a shitload more content.

Duxxy3

I think it's obvious that Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform. I'm pretty sure EA have regretted their close ties to MS these past 10 months, and they will not be wanting to repeat that and scupper their games before they're even out of the door.

The way MS execs were talking about Titanfall makes me think it was just that one game they had the exclusive on, although I suppose they might have Titanfall 2 as a timed exclusive like with Mass Effect 2.

I'm doubting any exclusivity for Titanfall 2. Maybe for marketing, but that's about it.

Destiny has a chance. One of the several, several things they need to do is within 6-12 months: Bungie needs to add story segments that show a reasonably well told series of events, they need to show mission variety that isn't kill three waves of enemies while Dinklebot does something, they need to improve and diversify the Crucible including both interesting new modes/maps as well as raid level gear for doing well or completing very difficult PvP modes (Trials of Osiris).

Basically, if Bungie is able to show that they are capable of doing so many of the things they really messed up on with vanilla Destiny, that would at least install the confidence that they can at least do them.

But I'm not exactly sold

As for Titanfall, I think with a multiplatform release it will become a good franchise. However, a staple FPS like CoD or Battlefield? Unlikely.

Obscured

They both have a lot of potential. Interestingly both seemed to have troubled development and neither ended up completely delivering on the promises made (or implied) and ended shipping with fairly bare-bone experiences. Their sequels are going to be what really determines if they blow up or not. Unlike some past franchises though even if they do figure out the formula I don't think these first in the series are going to age well.

They both are already a lot of fun as is though, so if they can figure out the rest of it there is no reason they can't be huge. Part of the question though is what does huge mean? Completely dominant as Halo was at one time and COD is now (though waning)? I'm not sure where the goalpost really are in this case. I don't think multi-platform really matters. Either will be big based on fleshing out their core concepts and sticking to a solid vision as well as the marketing juggernaut that will be behind them. I don't see either dropping off the radar.

jelly

Not sure if people will hang around for Destiny unless Bungie knock it out the park with updates and sequels.

Titanfall needs to come out swinging with the sequel on multiplatforms and one hell of a makeover and a rock solid feature set. I think they are the most likely of the big ones because they bring something new that works well.

Battlefield, COD might become a little boring for the masses soon and Halo, just one platform who knows if 343 can bring the excitement back. Battlefront could be pretty awesome and with the resurgence of the Star Wars films, a very good mix for mass appeal. Left 4 Dead 3, something we haven't seen it.

Both will, Titanfall more so in my opinion, as it's more fun and Respawn seemingly stayed true to their vision and can grow it from there. Destiny will be huge of course, but if the rumours about its troubled development are true, then it will be interesting to see whether they can get back to what they originally envisioned and really make it as impressive as they said it would be.

Eh forget all that timed exclusive nonsense and just make it a full on multiplat.

I think Destiny could be a major FPS franchise by the end of the generation if Bungie fixes the mess of a story in the game fast. December is too late IMHO. This is a case where the single player story has left such a bad taste in my mouth, I kind of dont even want to mess with the PVP anymore.

Conversely Titanfall could be big, but the next game absolutely requires a competent single player story and a next gen engine (playing Titanfall after Destiny makes me realize how awful the graphics are...).

I don't buy the idea that exclusivity hurt Titanfall. Halo was exclusive, it's huge. Uncharted was exclusive, it's huge. Bloodborne is most certainly exclusive and the general wisdom is that it will be huge...

Bloodborne will be a great game, but it's not going to be huge. Also, how much bigger could Titanfall be at the current install base? It's already the best selling game on XB1.

Uncharted became huge with the second game when the console had a bigger install base. If Titanfall was multiplatform it would've had much better sales just because there would be a much larger potential pool of buyers. Even the sales on 360 didn't reach full potential since it was a delayed release.

A multiplatform Titanfall 2 with the proper changes we've mentioned could be huge as CoD starts to lose traction.

Nephtes

If Titanfall was multiplatform it would've had much better sales just because there would be a much larger potential pool of buyers. Even the sales on 360 didn't reach full potential since it was a delayed release.

A multiplatform Titanfall 2 with the proper changes we've mentioned could be huge as CoD starts to lose traction.

I agree, Titanfall would have been bigger had it gone multiplatform. I don't even think Titanfall would be up for discussion in this thread if it was full multiplatform.

I feel a lot of the hate Titanfall gets though is due to it not being on the PS4. People who expected it to eventually make it to the PS4 had their feelings hurt when MS secured exclusivity. Even if you're a PS4 owner and you have Titanfall on the PC, in the back of your mind you're thinking..."damn I wish I was playing this on the PS4."

I personally find it to be a legitimately fun game that's held my interest long after release. I just want the sequel to be better in every way. I couldn't care less about its exclusivity status though.

Like you cited Uncharted 2 getting huge with its sequel, I could see Titanfall 2 doing the same even if it was locked to Microsoft again... But as said... It needs to do way more things than the first one.

Nephtes

Are you sure Bungie is still able doing this? Seems like they lost their touch.

I agree. The story is so painful.
Just the last story mission alone the dialog reads like a game from the 80's... In a bad way.

"You did it Guardian. You saved the Traveler. You are the hero. The Speaker is calling, he is having a party in your honor back at the Tower, but he wants to ask you if you are okay with bringing the guacamole."

I'd say more Titanfall than Destiny, call me crazy if you will.

I agree.

I see Titanfall sequels adding proper SP and fleshing out the MP experience. Also if thy can get the graphics up to par with other current gen releases it would be awesome.

Destiny, I can't see it, unless they abandon the mixed-genre structure for the sequels. If they make a SP focused game, more akin to the Halos, I could see it thriving, but I dunno. Definitely need to go hard on the story next time around.

pr0cs

Neither really. Destiny is a pretty big letdown, I'm not sure they can do anything to change my opinion of the game.
Titanfall needs a larger audience, maybe if they make a sequel for more platforms but even then being multiplayer only really limits it's popularity I think.

I'm sure both will be rather significant. Love them both despite their short comings. Titanfall is all but confirmed to make the leap to PS4 in the next game, and a campaign and a meatier, better balanced load out and challenge system could propel it. Destiny just needs to grow the social elements and make something out of the campaign it's trying to sell.

Kill3r7

No it isn't...

In what ways is Titanfall to complicated? I found it no more difficult to jump into than CoD.

Gameplay flow is completely different than COD. All the memorable COD/MW maps have two to three skirmish points where most everyone fights in. This inevitably promotes camping. Titanfall doesn't have these limitation. You are never trapped in a single location because you can always climb up on top of buildings/structures or parkour your way out of danger. The verticality adds a whole new dimension to gameplay which a lot of casuals do not take advantage of. IMO, if you find yourself spending the majority of the game on the ground then you are not doing it wrong. Furthermore, the comments wasn't directed towards fellow GAFers but casuals gamers.

Are you sure Bungie is still able doing this? Seems like they lost their touch.

Not 100%, and I think the story may be lost on the first game, but they can at least turn it into a more cohesive experience content-wise. At this point a lot of things feel half-assed or disjointed, but they're already being vocal about improvements and most of them seem to be lined up with what the community is asking for.

Titanfall. It's was already great and will benefit a ton from bigger userbases and some more time in the oven. More weapons, pvp modes will push it over the top. Hell it's already a better game than it was when it launched.

Destiny has the addicting gameplay a pseudo-bad relationship aspect down where you can't help but keep coming back even if you know the relationship isn't working out and maybe even harmful to you. It'll easily become a franchise. Bungie has to now work their asses off to gain the confidence of consumers and critics again and see if the "we are our own worst critics" comment was real. They need to do a lot of work in the expansion and second title because Halo pedigree isn't an excuse anymore. Activision already saw how much it can sell and they didn't get bungie again only to have them years coming up with a new idea. They want this as a franchise and have already largely paid for it to become so. So it's a guarantee.

Eggbok

Destiny has the better chance. Advanced Warfare has already improved on the similar concepts Titanfall has. The Call of Duty community is larger, has a very large competitive community, and pretty much everything Titanfall doesn't.

Vestax

Banned
I can't comment on Destiny, because I've yet to dive into it (maybe on BF they'll have deals on it).

Titanfall on the other hand, it's quite a conundrum. Titanfall is a great game, it is a technical mess (tears and frame drops are as common as the bots), but the gameplay along with the maps are superb. There's tons of fun to be had. That being said, the mistake that Respawn made was to alienate it from the PS4 and it's large user base. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is looking to capitalize on this, since they added vertical mobility (like TF), and it appears as they want to mimick the TF-type of gameplay. This is a great business move. By the time TF hits the PS4, this type of gameplay will not be as fresh as it is now.

So, I still think TF has a chance on becoming a great FPS franchise, but definitely needs to come to the PS4 (as it will probably) and ante up a bit.

Top Bottom