• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming: The first 2 hours of Sunset Overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinKL

It doesn't look like there's much interest in the game. Every thread for this game is 70% of people saying it looks awesome, 30% saying it doesn't, and then no more discussion after the 6th page.
Which is weird because I consider it a AAA title. I mean it's getting its own bundle. I noticed the lack of interest the first time they did the 1st hour stream. We're pretty close to release and it was barely on the opening page of discussion.

Anyway, I asked early, but can't find how the DLC weapons work. Wondering if anyone knows. Are they retailer exclusive, are we able to find them in the game later, are they souped up versions of default weapons?

boinx

This is the kind of vibe I'm getting from this game

i0IBScX7RlJOX.gif

Something I've noticed: in the first gameplay trailer, there was a little trail that would appear behind your character as you grind. I remember Brad from Giant Bomb saying you were able to customize the colour of it. In new footage, it seems like it has been removed. I wonder why?

Still, the game looks so much fun, can't wait for it.

Jaxx

Banned
It doesn't look like there's much interest in the game. Every thread for this game is 70% of people saying it looks awesome, 30% saying it doesn't, and then no more discussion after the 6th page.

Here yes, other sites no. There's a lot of interest in this game. For me it's a system seller next month.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Game looks amazing, love the in game humor, I'm so so on the dialogue. Movement looks like a joy and the game is stunning at times.

Yeah I was pretty jealous about this one but there's something ...... Dunno something that's not quite doing it for me. I thought the rail grinding portions of ratchet and clank were fun but not so much so that an entire game could be made out of it.

I'm sure it will be fun though. Just not quite what I was expecting. I was as close to thinking of a X1 purchase as I would of ever been thinking of playing this.

I hope the guys from Insomniac ignore all the "I don't like the humor" posts. The last thing you want to do as a game maker is try to appeal to the too-cool gamers. I think Insomniac learned that when EA put Fuse through the shitty VGmarket.com grinder.
Not one person is saying remove all humour from the game and make a super serious game. Humour can be bad, the humour in this game for example is. Humour in games is good, the humour in this game is not and could have used better writing.

Lucreto

I hope the guys from Insomniac ignore all the "I don't like the humor" posts. The last thing you want to do as a game maker is try to appeal to the too-cool gamers. I think Insomniac learned that when EA put Fuse through the shitty VGmarket.com grinder.

They game is just not funny in my opinion. It is very much forced American humour which to me is terrible. I was on the plane once watching a movie I can't remember and the woman I was sitting beside was in tears with laughter. I was groaning at it was so bad.

The Ratchet games at least brought a smile to my face.

Faulty Towers is funny, Only Fools and Horses is funny this ...is not.

Edit: Spent too long typing

Not one person is saying remove all humour from the game and make a super serious game. Humour can be bad, the humour in this game for example is. Humour in games is good, the humour in this game is not and could have used better writing.

This pretty much as well.

Bessy67

So from the videos I've seen I think I'm going with a female character. I like the voice actress a bit more than the voice actor.

Kinda related question though; can we have multiple characters/save files or are we limited to the one? I know you can change gender at any time so it's not a huge deal, but can you have separate male and female character files?

Cavalier

Banned
Game looks fun as hell. I was just getting sick and tired of dark and depressing games that try too hard to be "mature." BRING IT

Next Stop: Halo MCC.

Jaxx

Banned

And yet many people find it funny. Imagine that, right?! What I said is they need to ignore the criticism and make the game that THEY want to make. The opposite of Fuse.

The soundtrack is really good, I love how it sounds like old school punk.

I also like the odd humor.

Other than that I am not feeling that compelled by it, and I can only think about how much better/faster it could be on a different console/PC.

As it stands it isn't nearly as fast as JGR or JSRF, but the visual style is giving me the same vibes as those games and overall it looks like a pretty great little game with a unique look and enemy design.

It also kind of echoes Crackdown which is great because Crackdown was awesome.

Zephyrus

Banned
Yeah I was pretty jealous about this one but there's something ...... Dunno something that's not quite doing it for me. I thought the rail grinding portions of ratchet and clank were fun but not so much so that an entire game could be made out of it.

I'm sure it will be fun though. Just not quite what I was expecting. I was as close to thinking of a X1 purchase as I would of ever been thinking of playing this.

probably the feeling I got. When it was announced it looked awesome.

But the very first gameplay... made me think it'd get boring quite fast.

I don't see this game getting higher than 82% on metacritic.

The game seems VERY repetitive.

I do hope I'm wrong. I feel like Insomniac has the talent but is just focusing on quirky guns instead of actual meaningful gameplay systems.

The resistance series says they have what it takes (despite the misstep with R2).

For a while I'm getting the vibe that they're creating the guns and then make the gameplay around them and not otherwise.

insomanic should have competitive multiplayer for this game but with 'regular' weapons. it could be awesome to use that rail sliding thing and bouncing around all over the place

arhra

Something I've noticed: in the first gameplay trailer, there was a little trail that would appear behind your character as you grind. I remember Brad from Giant Bomb saying you were able to customize the colour of it. In new footage, it seems like it has been removed. I wonder why?

Still, the game looks so much fun, can't wait for it.

Insomniac dudes confirmed here on GAF that it was an optional amp ages ago. I'd assume it's just not something you unlock in the parts of the game that people are allowed to show pre-release.

As it stands it isn't nearly as fast as JGR or JSRF, but the visual style is giving me the same vibes as those games and overall it looks like a pretty great little game with a unique look and enemy design.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the people streaming the game right now are kinda terrible at it, which isn't helping with how fast it looks.

It looks a lot faster and more fluid when there's someone who's actually got the hang of the controls and is properly chaining traversal moves together is behind the controller. Check out the traversal challenges at the start of this video, for example.

That guy's other videos (youtube, twitch) are probably the best examples I've seen yet of someone actually playing the game well (and this is still early-game footage with some moves locked, ie, I haven't seen the airdash they've shown in SunsetTV in any of the prerelease streams yet).

Insomniac dudes confirmed here on GAF that it was an optional amp ages ago. I'd assume it's just not something you unlock in the parts of the game that people are allowed to show pre-release.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the people streaming the game right now are kinda terrible at it, which isn't helping with how fast it looks.

It looks a lot faster and more fluid when there's someone who's actually got the hang of the controls and is properly chaining traversal moves together is behind the controller. Check out the traversal challenges at the start of this video, for example.

That guy's other videos (youtube, twitch) are probably the best examples I've seen yet of someone actually playing the game well (and this is still early-game footage with some moves locked, ie, I haven't seen the airdash they've shown in SunsetTV in any of the prerelease streams yet).

That's a little bit faster but it is still nowhere near as fast as I'd want it or was expecting it to be, it reminds me of how with Bioshock Infinite that the original trailers showed the skylines being a lot speedier.

It does look kind of repetitive but I don't know, overall I like what they are doing with the game and it looks fun but it isn't enough for me to purchase the Xbone.

Other than that I am not feeling that compelled by it, and I can only think about how much better/faster it could be on a different console/PC.

You can only think about how the game would be faster on another console?

Guerrilla

Which is weird because I consider it a AAA title. I mean it's getting its own bundle. I noticed the lack of interest the first time they did the 1st hour stream. We're pretty close to release and it was barely on the opening page of discussion.

Anyway, I asked early, but can't find how the DLC weapons work. Wondering if anyone knows. Are they retailer exclusive, are we able to find them in the game later, are they souped up versions of default weapons?

Maybe the game would get more dicussion if it had some general hub on here, some kind of like, let's say, "official discussion page". Just spitballin here...

seriously though, this is basically the first casualty of the new OT rule :( Had to google to find out info about the review embargo instead of looking/discussing here. Still don't know anything about preorder bonuses.

arhra

seriously though, this is basically the first casualty of the new OT rule :( Had to google to find out info about the review embargo instead of looking/discussing here. Still don't know anything about preorder bonuses.

If you're in the US, the official site has pre-order bonus details. If you're non-US you'll have to check your local stores.

Surely you didn't type that sentence on purpose? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a mistake.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Hey guys, just a heads up that we will be streaming tonight, in (broken in my case) English this time :) at 9:30PM (CEST)

Oppo

I played a little bit of this at gamercamp in Toronto this weekend. They had a whole room decked out with two stations.

The game is a visual riot. Like just completely crazytown bananapants. you almost can't process everything that you're seeing.

Love the graphics and art style. the gameplay looks fun but the rails and writing on this game feel like they can wear on you a bit over the long haul. I feel like this would be a perfect rental candidate. Why can't we rent new games anymore :(

Giggzy

I've been patiently waiting for this game since the reveal. From time of reveal until a couple weeks ago, time has flown by. Since the game has gone gold, every day has been dragging on in anticipation from this game.

I don't care if missions get repetitive, or if the humor ends up being bad. The visuals, the feel of JSR and Tony Hawk, and the awesomeness that I'm hoping chaos squad will be will make this game amazing. This game and its style is a breath of fresh air in a industry that is polluted by the same types of games throughout the year.

Bring on October 28th.

Surely you didn't type that sentence on purpose? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that was a mistake.

That kind of shit reminds me of the old days when future or barely current PS2 owners would say that about every single Dreamcast game, or even further back with Genesis vs. SNES or Saturn vs. PS1 or N64.

"It's cool game, but it's a shame that X isn't on Y because it wouldn't be held back and its potential could truly be realized by Z, making it a real classic it deserves to be."

JPS Kai

(and this is still early-game footage with some moves locked, ie, I haven't seen the airdash they've shown in SunsetTV in any of the prerelease streams yet).

There are multiple amp slots for your character and the one you're thinking of is either a Hero Amp or an Epic Amp. These are unlocked at certain parts of the game when you have to do a night defense style mission then you have to buy them using the OD cans for currency. Once they're equipped, you have to get your style gauge up to a certain level to use the Amp.

The airdash is unlocked in a level that takes place more than two hours into the game, hence why you haven't seen it in a pre-release stream yet.

Sunset has a lot of little tricks to do that increase your speed when traversing, like when you're grinding under a rail, hitting X to switch to an overgrind then jumping propels you forward and gives you a little bit of a boost, and RB is pretty gratuitous with giving you a constant speed boost.

Bgamer90

Banned
That kind of shit reminds me of the old days when future or barely current PS2 owners would say that about every single Dreamcast game, or even further back with Genesis vs. SNES or Saturn vs. PS1 or N64.

"It's cool game, but it's a shame that X isn't on Y because it wouldn't be held back and its potential could truly be realized by Z, making it a real classic it deserves to be."

I find it hilarious how the "I'm going to try hard not to make my true feelings come out" console war/port begging posts for threads about this game become more obvious as it gets closer to its release date. Guess most would call it "stealth trolling" but I really don't like that term.

It's funny since the statement that your post was about was made in another Sunset Overdrive thread; Found it hilarious since some of Insomniac's best games were made on the "weak" PS2. I'm sure those games would have been so much better on the original Xbox (heh).

Seems too goofy IMO. I'd rather have a serious storyline to go along with it. The dialogue is cringeworthy.

Serious storyline with this art style and gameplay? Don't think that would be a good mix.

ironcreed

Banned
This is the kind of vibe I'm getting from this game

i0IBScX7RlJOX.gif

Funny, I think it looks like a game that is secure in the fact that it is a game. Insomniac obviously wanted to make something that did not take itself seriously and just wants you to kick back, have fun and stop taking things so seriously yourself. It's loud and bonkers on purpose and I love the fact that it is not ashamed of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom