• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Render of Ultron

10570331_349578045222543_3862784354644232384_n.jpg

256px-Ultron.jpg

2nd Looks very Mike Zeckish

jmood88

Man I cannot get over this trailer. James Spader is going to kill it as Ultron. "There are no strings on me." Damn that delivery gives me chills.

Really, really looking forward to this because I know Whedon can deliver a menacing villain and Ultron is shaping up to be amazing.

I'm really excited to see Spader as Ultron and, just based on the trailer, I hope they signed him up for multiple films so we get more.

This is Marvel, so there could be some shenanigans with how the voices are spliced (hell, half the promo stuff in Guardians was not in the movie/out of context) but I wonder about the context of Ultron's "you're all puppets" line. Seen two mentions on gaf: he could be addressing other bots built by Stark and that would mean the line is out of context (he says it in the trailer while confronting the Avengers at the party). What if its in the movie like that, in that scene though? What would that imply? My guess is he's hinting at Stark having a contingency plan against anyone on the team and Ultron is teasing "daddy" with that knowledge.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is Marvel, so there could be some shenanigans with how the voices are spliced (hell, half the promo stuff in Guardians was not in the movie/out of context) but I wonder about the context of Ultron's "you're all puppets" line. Seen two mentions on gaf: he could be addressing other bots built by Stark and that would mean the line is out of context (he says it in the trailer while confronting the Avengers at the party). What if its in the movie like that, in that scene though? What would that imply? My guess is he's hinting at Stark having a contingency plan against anyone on the team and Ultron is teasing "daddy" with that knowledge.

Yeah ever since Winter Soldier's masterfully deceptive trailer lines I'm not trusting trailers at face value anymore, haha

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Very neat. Saw Rhodey is there when mangled Ultron is talking, is he suiting up as War Machine/Iron Patriot or whatever in this movie?

Regarding Rhodey - Do we know yet if he is suiting the Iron Patriot or is returning to the classic War Machine Armor? (I hope its War Machine...)

Tuck

The trailer itself was pretty lousy. Bunch of super dramatic reaction shots, the usual special effects and setpieces, etc.

But Spader was on fucking point. The line "There are no strings on me" pretty much made the trailer for me.

Spinluck

Nothing wrong with the teeth on my end, I dig the skull like thing they're going for.

Reminds me of that weared down broken Ironman helmet from that early promo art.

The rest of him is meh though.

One of the best examples of trailer deception is the trailer for The Walking Dead Season 3.

They made a large part of the trailer look like a confrontation between Rick and The Governor, despite the fact all the scenes used were from the first few episodes long before they ever run into each other.

Never trust a trailer!

Spinluck

I think you mean Thor. I actually want to see more Hawkeye.

No, Thor is actually a useful asset to the team. Like, they actually need him to win.

They should have put Hawkeye in Winter Soldier or something. That movie made me sort of like Widow (who I thought was previously also useless).

I'm not usually into these movies all that heavily....but I have to admit that I really like the way they put this trailer together. There are no strings on me....I love it.

And I like the moving mouth! I think it makes sense that an AI that understands the nuances of human communication would do that for clarity purposes.

I'm assuming that Ultron is self-righteous in some fashion? Not just trying to take over the world for the hell of it but feels that he's making the world better? That's what I'm getting from him. Edit : Or is his angle likely to be more about being an "enslaved" AI that is now bitter and free to take revenge?

I expected it at some point in the MCU but I'm surprised we are getting Cap's broken shield already.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm assuming that Ultron is self-righteous in some fashion? Not just trying to take over the world for the hell of it but feels that he's making the world better? That's what I'm getting from him. Edit : Or is his angle likely to be more about being an "enslaved" AI that is now bitter and free to take revenge?

both

CloudWolf

I'm 99% certain this is the case. Marvel isn't suddenly going to start using morally ambiguous plotlines in their movies. They tried in The Winter Soldier, but that turned out to be just another evil plan by an evil organization.

Yeah, but it's probably not. It's probably just the same reason Optimus and the new TMNT were given more human mouths, because someone in Hollywood keeps telling everyone everyone needs human mouths to speak

That's not at all why they did it. They did it because for top level actors like Spader, half the act is in the facial expressions. You can't get facial expressions if you have no face. I welcome the change.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm not usually into these movies all that heavily....but I have to admit that I really like the way they put this trailer together. There are no strings on me....I love it.

And I like the moving mouth! I think it makes sense that an AI that understands the nuances of human communication would do that for clarity purposes.

I expected it at some point in the MCU but I'm surprised we are getting Cap's broken shield already.

General plot speculation for Ultron motivation:
Ultron is tasked with defending the world as commander of Iron Legion. Becomes frustrated with the irrationality of humanity. Refers to the Avengers as meaning well, but ultimately being puppets because they are constrained by human morality and conventions of society. They won't take drastic action to stop human insanity. Ultron goes to war with the goal of replicating himself and taking charge of humanity. But he eventually becomes convinced humanity is not just flawed, but irredeemable.

Considering the context of his conversation, my best guess is that he's referring to the Avenger's inability to make the change necessary to the world because they are bound by their humanity.

Alienous

That's not at all why they did it. They did it because for top level actors like Spader, half the act is in the facial expressions. You can't get facial expressions if you have no face. I welcome the change.

Spader's voice is so good that the facial expressions are unnecessary.

Seriously, open maw Ultron would be absolutely fine with that voice. It has a lot of character.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah.... that was super awesome.
Can't wait.

MOAR THOR PLS

Guys.

Guys.

In the close up on Hulks face during the showdown with Iron Man

Hulk is crying

It's gotta be Wanda putting visions in his head. Probably something really traumatic for Hulk or Banner. And from the later shots of Banner, doesn't look like he recovers very quickly.

Kinyou

So judging by this we can assume (based on the small head), the standard iron man suit climbs into the hulk buster iron man suit - aww YES!.
It even seems like the Hulk Buster pieces come flying to him, similar to his suit in Iron Man 3.
So I guess it will start to build itself around him while he hovers in the air or something like that.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
General plot speculation for Ultron motivation:
Ultron is tasked with defending the world as commander of Iron Legion. Becomes frustrated with the irrationality of humanity. Refers to the Avengers as meaning well, but ultimately being puppets because they are constrained by human morality and conventions of society. They won't take drastic action to stop human insanity. Ultron goes to war with the goal of replicating himself and taking charge of humanity. But he eventually becomes convinced humanity is not just flawed, but irredeemable.

I'm wondering if perhaps this ties into Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Perhaps Ultron gets infected by Project Insight by Hydra, sees potential targets everywhere, and comes to the conclusion that all of humanity must be exterminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom