• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Multiplayer on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare(PS4/XB1)

Kayant

When pixel-counting screenshots gleaned from all 13 available stages, the 1360x1080 resolution is a constant fixture. Even with non-intensive, small maps featuring no players on-screen, the Xbox One refuses to increase its native frame-buffer dynamically based on load. Meanwhile, the PS4 remains locked at full 1080p, just like its campaign counterpart.

By matching shots at spawn points, the impact of this resolution differential is clear to see. A cut-back framebuffer on Microsoft's hardware causes foliage elements - grass, trees and so on - to appear aggressively filtered and upscaled, while the PS4's visual make-up remains crisp and defined throughout our testing.

Clearly, locking to a lower resolution on Xbox One is key in hitting the sustained 60fps gameplay that is the Call of Duty trademark. Having ascertained the pixel counts, we moved on to determining just how solid performance is on both consoles. In order to stress-test both platforms, we select the Ground War mode, allowing for a maximum of 18 players in big team games - and the results are intriguing.

On record in our Xbox One video, we hit a lowest 56fps on the opening Instinct stage test - kicking in just as a shader effect disrupts the screen. Paired with that are a few torn frames, with the upper 33 per cent of the screen cut in each case. However, much like the Xbox One's campaign mode we rarely see many drops below the 60fps line at all, and v-sync is almost always intact barring exceptional moments. A few odd, missed frames are caught while charging around Instinct, but for Detroit and Defender this simply isn't a problem.

With PlayStation 4 operating at full 1080p, we had suspicions going in that multiplayer would be a more robust experience than its 50-60fps campaign offering - and that proves to be quite true. A lurch down to the low 50s is the absolute worst we have on record, occurring during the Detroit level in this case. This is one of only two likewise dips across hours of test footage, with both coinciding with kill-cam replays rather than actual gameplay.

If competitive multiplayer is your calling, Advanced Warfare has you well covered on both platforms - each servicing gameplay with a strong 60fps delivery that only occasionally flakes out. In the Xbox One's case this is due to a shader effect, and on PS4, it's from alpha buffers overlapping during a kill-cam replay. In both cases, gameplay is not impacted, with each console handing in a broadly like-for-like experience

More here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...nced-warfare-multiplayer-performance-analysis

[60fps] Call of Duty Advanced Warfare PlayStation 4 Multiplayer Frame-Rate Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CaMFypV8Z8
[60fps] Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Xbox One Multiplayer Frame-Rate Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWpo33qT4kk

Akronis

When pixel-counting screenshots gleaned from all 13 available stages, the 1360x1080 resolution is a constant fixture. Even with non-intensive, small maps featuring no players on-screen, the Xbox One refuses to increase its native frame-buffer dynamically based on load. Meanwhile, the PS4 remains locked at full 1080p, just like its campaign counterpart.

So their dynamic resolution feature doesn't even work? Or is it turned off for multiplayer?

Ramza

Banned
Hmmm, I know the MP is usually less visually intensive than the SP for COD games, but I wonder if this means the performance drops in the PS4's SP campaign can be fixed with patching.

So their dynamic resolution feature doesn't even work? Or is it turned off for multiplayer?

It's off for MP

Syrus

Banned
Frame rate holds better on X1 but lower RES. Its much better looking then ghosts so I'm pretty happy.

PS4 better of course but im happy with 900~ vs 1080p

*flame shield activate*

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Frame rate holds better on X1 but lower RES. Its much better looking then ghosts so I'm pretty happy.

*flame shield activate*
Frame drops on PS4 are only in killcams. Game holds 60fps during gameplay on both platforms very well

Fezan

*flame shield activate*

You can count lower framerates if you count kill cams. Otherwise they are idnetical and ps4 version has v-sync

kidko

I had a couple huge slowdown moments on PS4 last night playing the campaign. Good 2-4 second frame chugs that felt like something was about to crash, but then recovered.

Ramza

Banned
I had a couple huge slowdown moments on PS4 last night playing the campaign. Good 2-4 second frame chugs that felt like something was about to crash, but then recovered.

Random question: Are you using the stock hard drive? Or did you upgrade?

thelastword

Banned
Why is DF doing this piecemeal?

Anyway, why don't they compare like for like situations, why not compare the Detroit bit where PS4 dropped frames on the XBONE and vice versa the place where the XBONE dropped frames on the PS4. Isn't that how you do a comparison?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Random question: Are you using the stock hard drive? Or did you upgrade?
This is a good question. I've seen a couple people mention this but it never happened to me in my 4 hours of campaign playtime but I put a 1TB SSHD in my PS4. A few other glitches in some games, most notably the BF4 save corruption, have never happened to me and the hard drive seems like the differentiating factor.

Drencrom

V-Sync alone makes the PS4 version the superior version between the two, screen tearing is the worst thing ever.

Ramza

Banned
This is a good question. I've seen a couple people mention this but it never happened to me in my 4 hours of campaign playtime but I put a 1TB SSHD in my PS4. A few other glitches in some games, most notably the BF4 save corruption, have never happened to me and the hard drive seems like the differentiating factor.

Indeed. I have a 1TB SSHD, too, and haven't noticed issues on some games that some people have.

Dragon

Banned
Why is DF doing this piecemeal?

Anyway, why don't they compare like for like situations, why not compare the Detroit bit where PS4 dropped frames on the XBONE and vice versa the place where the XBONE dropped frames on the PS4. Isn't that how you do a comparison?

More website hits I'd guess.

Cornbread78

Damn and I had this thread all put together, which is why I asked in the other thread.... Oh well.

Wait, where's the inflammitory title? It should have been:

Eurogamer: COD: AW Multiplayer review: "PS4 offers a noticeably cleaner presentation"

You're not following the pattern here!
I kid, I kid

The only tangible downside is on Xbox One, with its poorer, fixed 1360x1080 presentation coming to bear more obviously than it does in the campaign mode, while PS4 offers a noticeably cleaner presentation.

Anyhoo, sounds pretty good for both versions and it's a nice job by Sledgehammer that both versions perform well and there is no "crappy" version, which is great for gamers!

Now what is more important to you the SP or MP? How is different on the PS4 version? Isn't the MP usually more taxing to maintain the fps?

thefit

Damn and I had this thread all put together, which is why I asked in the other thread.... Oh well.

Wait, where's the inflammitory title? It should have been:

Eurogamer: COD: AW Multiplayer review: "PS4 offers a noticeably cleaner presentation"

You're not following the pattern here!

Anyhoo, sounds pretty good for both versions and it's a nice job by Sledgehammer that both versions perform well and there is no "crappy" version, which is great for gamers!

Now what is more important to you the SP or MP? How is different on the PS4 version? Isn't the MP usually more taxing to maintain the fps?

Its the MP that matters if you really just care about the sp you rent it. I haven't even started sp I keep clicking the mp icon instead in my desktop :p

Noobcraft

Glad they got it running better than ghosts on the PS4, ghosts had huge frame rate drops on it. I got the xb1 version of this for the DLC and network but it's great that it runs well for owners of either console. Based Sledgehammer?

Also I haven't noticed any screen tearing (about 6 hrs play time in mp) so it must be pretty uncommon.

Cornbread78

Its the MP that matters if you really just care about the sp you rent it. I haven't even started sp I keep clicking the mp icon instead in my desktop :p

Yeah, well, that is what CoD is all about, lol

I'm still really on the fence about this game though. I mean, I just started Destiny and that could probably keep me busy for awhile....

NickFire

So basically it doesn't really matter which version you buy??

To the publisher no, as long as you buy at least one. But if you are primarily playing multiplayer, PS4 version offers a clearer image and runs a smooth 60 except during some kill cam replays. If clear images are your thing, it matters.

To the publisher no, as long as you buy at least one. But if you are primarily playing multiplayer, PS4 version offers a clearer image and runs a smooth 60 except during some kill cam replays. If clear images are your thing, it matters.

With the way some people were going on about this, you'd swear the PS4 version has frames that drop into the teens.

*flame shield activate*

I dont think you quite read what the article was saying. It happens during kill cams when the action is over.

RayMaker

Banned
Is anyone else having issues viewing 1080p60fps on youtube? 720p60fps works fine.

Is there a GPU requirement? is my AMD5450 not good enough?

it strange because I can play 1080p60fps videos on VLC

alterno69

Banned
As a graphics whore myself, i will always go for the best looking version available on consoles, just like last gent i bought most Multiplatform games on the 360, this gen PS4 is the easy choice, it just looks so sharp, i love it.

NickFire

With the way some people were going on about this, you'd swear the PS4 version has frames that drop into the teens.

I blame DF. They have one version with higher resolution and constant frame rate for MP (except during 2 replays), yet at the end of the article they start their conclusion with everyone wins regarding MP. Now the people who want to believe there is no difference between the two versions are going to harp solely on the fluff and ignore rather important facts such as the lost frames occurred during replays, as if that has any bearing on gameplay.

Top Bottom