• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN reveals SOME Revolution specs!

Monorojo

Banned
http://blogs.ign.com/matt-ign
Heads up, bloggers: I'll be posting some more detailed Revolution tech specs with tonight's IGN Revolution update. Very current, trusted, 100% legit info from extremely reliable sources.

OMG

Wait....anyone else having deja vu? :D

UPDATE:

Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.

Revolution's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube's GPU ran at 162MHz, while the GPU on the original Xbox was clocked at 233MHz. Sources we spoke with suggest that it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shader features, as has been speculated.

The overall system memory numbers we reported last December have not greatly fluctuated, but new clarifications have surfaced. Revolution will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM not counting the GPU's on-board 3MBs. The original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

It is not known if the 14MBs of extra D-RAM we reported on last December are in the current Revolution specifications.

Million page thread.

Will this be at 5pm california time as Oblivion suggested it might be? I figure its something like 3.30 there now... I'm in the UK and its 12:30am, I'm just wondering if I should stay up an extra hour and a half.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
we already know revolution isn't going to be as powerful as 360 and PS3, so why does everyone get so hyped up to learn the specs?

are there still any hardcore n-bots holding out hope for the impossible? :lol

Andy787

Banned
Who wants to bet Nintendo is secretly packing better specs than PS3 and Matt has just been leading us all on this whole time???? I believe!! :)

Cerrius said:
we already know revolution isn't going to be as powerful as 360 and PS3, so why does everyone get so hyped up to learn the specs?

are there still any hardcore n-bots holding out hope for the impossible? :lol

No, but maybe Andy 747 will take your bet? :p

I venture he's just kidding ..

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Andy787 said:
Who wants to bet Nintendo is secretly packing better specs than PS3 and Matt has just been leading us all on this whole time???? I believe!! :)

...I guess there are.

Johnas

Great news.

I don't think Matt would pull an April Fool's joke with something like this. Maybe he would, but I doubt it. He gets enough crap mail as it is.

Andy787 said:
I don't care if they got 10 CELLs under the hood but I'm not paying more that 300$ US

Ancestor said:
Great news.

I don't think Matt would pull an April Fool's joke with something like this. Maybe he would, but I doubt it. He gets enough crap mail as it is.

I was just imagining the hate mail myself.

To be honest if he keeps me up tonight for some shitty joke I'll be pretty pissed off myself.
From my parents basement I will stab at thee, Matt!

Silkworm

Hmmm, I wonder if they'll be tech specs of "near" final Revolution dev kits. Thus the "near" will allow wiggle room for endless, pointless debates! Hoorah! :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
radioheadrule83 said:
Will this be at 5pm california time as Oblivion suggested it might be?

It was 5 PM pacific time last time, so hopefully once again. It'll give me time to get a bite to eat. :)

And for you Sonyphiles and Xbots, I don't expect the Rev. to magically be better than the other two, but I still am curious to hear info.

I get the feeling that there far more higher than what he expected, but nothing to claim its an equal to 360/PS3 in any factor.(edit) Maybe matching in raw polygon performance.

"IGN to make more conservative claims based on dev kits they've gotten to tinker with for a few minutes with no software running."

Alright, I know they get serious insider info and do the digging, but IGN's word is being taken as absolute truth when not one other major news source (GameSpot, 1up, whatever) has come forth with anything similar, and now they're going to post "specs," which Nintendo has said they're not likely to release to the public this time around? Of course there's ways to find out, but if this was serious info (that could even potentially land them in hot water with Nintendo), would Matt be giving advance warning of it?

snatches

This timing is perfect. Surely Nintendo would have been divulging the final spec of the machine to devs at GDC, someone was bound to cough it up. I expect this to be 100% legit and kudos to Matt for the scoop.

He's a douche, but this is quite a scoop.

edit: there wouldn't be any backlash from Nintendo. No NDA, no backlash. Agressive reporting is just that. If his sources want to take risks, it's their problem, and they are the ones that should fear backlash.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Someone want to PM me when this whole thing is done and over with? I don't want to wade through the Photoshops and corny jokes and catchphrases and exclamation points, I just want to know what ends up happening.

Maybe we could set up a PM distribution list for after these cockteases.

Mashing

Andy787 said:

That would be one hell of a marvel of engineering.

IGN's previous information just so we all recall:

* At the time: "developers are still without final specifications for Revolution's ATI-developed graphics chip"
* 108MB RAM
* 512MB Flash RAM / saves & downloads, can be dipped into by games but can't be relied upon
* Quote from anon dev: "To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox, But it's the controller that makes the difference and the controller is really nice."
* No dev would or could talk about Hollywood
* Quote from anon dev: "As soon as we find out what it can do then we'll know if Revolution will just be like an Xbox or something a little more."
* Quote from anon dev: "We are looking at it quite differently. It's like another current generation platform for us. But it's such a nice controller that it opens up a lot of possibilities. It's very different and it's very precise."

Remember to compare and contrast what they were told before and what theyve been told now.

Mashing said:
That would be one hell of a marvel of engineering.

We already know the Revolution is a time machine.. perhaps they used it to steal future technology to deliver ps3 power at a low price point and small size so that they could still make a killing. :lol

I bet his info is 100% reliable because it has already been mentioned:

Spec released tonight, Revolution uses disks that can hold up to 9GB! Shock and awe.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
My bet is that the GPU will be a lot more impressive than people expect. Everything else will be normal... CPU... RAM... but the GPU will be the piece that Nintendo puts the most money into.

snatches said:
edit: there wouldn't be any backlash from Nintendo. No NDA, no backlash. Agressive reporting is just that. If his sources want to take risks, it's their problem, and they are the ones that should fear backlash.

Sony and Ubisoft say "Not so fast..."

radioheadrule83 said:
IGN's previous information just so we all recall:

* At the time: "developers are still without final specifications for Revolution's ATI-developed graphics chip"
* 108MB RAM
* 512MB Flash RAM / saves & downloads, can be dipped into by games but can't be relied upon
* Quote from anon dev: "To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox, But it's the controller that makes the difference and the controller is really nice."
* No dev would or could talk about Hollywood
* Quote from anon dev: "As soon as we find out what it can do then we'll know if Revolution will just be like an Xbox or something a little more."
* Quote from anon dev: "We are looking at it quite differently. It's like another current generation platform for us. But it's such a nice controller that it opens up a lot of possibilities. It's very different and it's very precise."

Remember to compare and contrast what they were told before and what theyve been told now.

link?

Top Bottom