• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How serious do you take people who say, "I won't buy X from X gaming company again"?

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

I love how this is supposed to represent the futility of boycotts when;
a) its cropped so as not to be even more obvious that not even half of the people on that page are playing the game, let alone a significant number of that group
b) the very next game had dedicated servers

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I normally wouldn't make that type of claim.

That said, Nintendo's region locking policies have kept me from purchasing many games for my Nintendo platforms. In fact, for the games that I do purchase (when I visit the US for the holidays), I will go out of my way to buy them used. Until they stop this region locking nonsense I won't support new purchases of Nintendo software.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't usually take the internet seriously when they say they are boycotting. Things change. And I don't know anyone here personally, so I have no knowledge of anyone's reliability. So the only person's statements I can believe are my own. And

I don't make absolute statements. I know I'm not currently interested in any Ubisoft titles on PC, but that is mostly because I'm no longer interested in Assassin's Creed and the only Far Cry I played was 2, which I didn't like enough to finish. But it certainly doesn't help that we're frequently hearing bad things about Ubi, sometimes from their own mouths (900p bullshit). I think if I did buy Unity and I saw that microtransaction screen (at £75 it's not exactly micro) in a game I paid full price for, I'd be pissed off and wouldn't want to support a company that does that.

The best way to go about it is to judge every game on its own merits. Of course, if companies don't let us have reviews until after they're out, they don't want my money so fuck em. (Not really, because I don't buy many games on release anyway but it's still a shitty practice.)

a) its cropped so as not to be even more obvious that not even half of the people on that page are playing the game, let alone a significant number of that group
Come on mate, you're trying to defend a group called Boycott MW2 having a load of MW2 players by saying "But it's not even half the group playing".

tassletine

I've said that plenty of times, but what it tends to mean is that you won't unless something great turns up. I'm very wary of Ubisoft so only buy the titles when they have been reduced as I know the games have very little actual gameplay but are sometimes nice to look at.

I will never buy another xbox, ipad or Dell unless I get to the point where money is no object.

Those things have built in obsolescence and I just can't afford to spend money on devices that break or become gimped after a year or so. A disposable culture is not something I agree with. It's a cheap trick and I don't have money to throw away so it makes sense.

Japanese products on the other hand last and are a good investment.

fedexpeon

Banned
After feeding the Ubisoft machine by buying WD, I haven't buy a single series from them after that.
No AC: U/R or FC4 for me this year, and probably forever.
From the streams I watched, I didn't miss much.

Oh well...Maybe in 5 years, I will buy it used for 4.99.

These days there is enough AAA game haters that can play their cool kids indie games without ever buying something from Big Publisher. Lots of people looking to be part of a movement. Publishers have made the mistake of trying to appease (Mass Effect 3) and that only spurns them on. In reality these people just want watch them dance. Most of these people rarely even play games.

xevis

Banned
I think it is an interesting situation and, in my opinion, directly relates to why gaming companies seemingly so often releasing products that are not meant to be released yet, like Unity.

Because no matter how harshly many gamers shouting at them, they knew the vast majority of those gamers will keep wagging their tails for their latest gaming release.

It seems like Jim Sterling can be relied upon to be on-point. Again. Or perhaps, as usual.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I don't take them seriously. The way they talk about not buying any games from X company ever again, they're taking their hobby way too seriously to me.

Granted, most gaming companies are nickle-and-dime assholes, so I can't blame them if they gonna stick with their principles. The gaming industry is already shitty as it is.

TheHater

I haven't bought a single EA game new in over 8 years. Mostly borrow from friends
Haven't bought a Capcom game since DMC4

Will not buy a Ubisoft game new ever again.

I just give my money to other dev/pub that haven't screwed me over

-MB-

I am just wondering, considering such statements are so easily uttered by many, saying stuff like "I won't buy stuff from EA again!" or "EA sucks!" or "Activision sucks!" or "Fuck Ubisoft!" or anything of that nature, when they are disappointed by a gaming product produced by related companies.

Especially when stuff like Unity is happening.

I think it is especially funny when people say stuff like "Fuck Ubisoft!" and then at the same breath say "But I will buy Far Cry 4" without a sense of irony. Well, I guess you can say that I am very cynical to such statements nowadays--simply put, I just don't believe it.

And apparently gaming companies in general don't believe it as well, considering they continually release broken games over and over and over and over again. They got us hooked, line, and sinker.

Anyways, I am rambling. What about you? What are your opinion when people making such statements?

I haven't bought a Ubisoft or EA game in years, so my boycott is pretty serious. Obviously it helps that I am not interested in any of their games anyway.
Got enough games to play anyway, and a huge backlog to boot.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I made the choice to not buy games from Ubisoft or EA and I have yet to buy one since. It really just depends on the person and since this is a gaming forum people don't really know each other personally so it's hard to tell.

Lemondish

My financial and mental well being doesn't hinge on what other people buy in this industry. I like the discussion, though, and I sometimes find a bit of enjoyment from teasing someone for their hypocrisy. So, on a scale of one to two, I'd say blue fish.

Have bought only a single game from capcom since they cancelled Mega Man Legends 3, and that was Ace Attorney 5... that series needs love too. So a perfect streak? No... but 3 years and only 1 game from another struggling franchise, I think my dedication to no-capcom has worked out well enough for me.

I wanted to not buy any more Ubisoft games years ago, but quickly realized that they publish too many of my favorite franchises for that to be realistic. Don't think I ever said "never again", but I might have.

There are a ton of people that use this bullshit to justify piracy though. I see so many posts on reddit and other places with "This game is so shit, so I am pirating it instead of supporting the developer". How about not playing it if the game is so shit?

edit:typo

NEO0MJ

I'm very skeptical of them. I can understand someone being very cautious and not buying many games from the company but dropping them outright seems very difficult. I mean, it's not like there are that many AAA game companies.

BTHR Zero X

I said I would never buy a new EA Game after Timesplitters Future Perfect.

And I have not, I have been gifted a few. But I have not bought one since 24 March 2005

Mr E.

I always buy the previous version of the current FIFA because apparently that's always the best version.

Does that count?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I always buy the previous version of the current FIFA because apparently that's always the best version.

Does that count?

Haha i guess it kinda does count.
Counting a years worth of patches i wouldnt be shocked if thats actually true though....Never been a FIFA fan.

On Topic
I never believe people saying i wont ever buy from company X, or im not gonna buy game X because it doesnt push console Y to the limit.

Its just GAF being GAF.

Though i didnt buy any activision products for like 3 years till COD:AW....i tried buy COD:AW had me curious

Soodanim

Gold Member
Its not even 2% of the group playing.

On that one page, yeah. But that doesn't even matter. Whether that 2% was the entirety of the group that carried on playing MW2 or not isn't the point of the screenshot, the point of it is the same as this thread: people love to get emotional and say they're never buying X or from Y again, and the reality is that it's not a claim that is maintained my most.

What amazes me every single time is how emotional people get over videogames. In the end all these companies are the same and have the same goals being maximizing profit.
U cant really fault them for that because thats what there here for and thats what they are paid for.
Its about walking the fine line between customers, shareholders etc..
If i dont like certain stuff they try to pull i m not gonna cry about it on the internet, im simply not gonna buy their game and thats it. No emotional outbursts necessary imo.
I ve always been on xbox but after that disastrous e3 i just had enough and switched to sony and thats that. I still wish xbox succes and hope they can recover.

On that one page, yeah.
That one page is the entirety of the members of that group playing any games at all when it was taken, and is cropped down from listing the 50 people per page to show the boycott group in the worst possible light.

And as I said - it doesn't matter because the boycott worked, and the very next game had dedicated servers.

But that doesn't even matter. Whether that 2% was the entirety of the group that carried on playing MW2 or not isn't the point of the screenshot, the point of it is the same as this thread: people love to get emotional and say they're never buying X or from Y again, and the reality is that it's not a claim that is maintained my most.

No, the point of that image is LOL BOYCOTTS DON'T MATTER YOU CAN'T CHANGE ANYTHING which is demonstrably untrue.

Just because some people in any given group have the willpower of an unrepentant heroin addict, doesn't mean the power of a consumer to use the only power they have - their purchasing dollar - doesn't exist, or that principled purchase behaviour cannot change corporate direction.

I've never taken this stance before but typically understand those who have in the past. That said, after the AC Unity nightmare that was fully and completely Ubisoft's doing, I won't be buying Ubisoft games until some clear policy changes happen under that publisher. It doesn't get much more anti-consumer than the shit they pulled with that game.

herod

Haven't bought any Codemasters (or Atari, not that that is an issue anymore) since Davenport Lyons. Never forgive, never forget.

3bdelilah

Banned
I narrowed the "fuck Ubisoft, they won't get my money ever again" to "fuck the AC team, they won't get my day 1 money ever again........ 10 bucks tops" after I've been playing Child of Light the last two days. Amazing game, might be just a little more than okay gameplay wise, but the art and music is absolutely stunning. Both new Rayman games were great too, it's like they're two different companies. Far Cry is a very solid series as well, I loved 3 and I'm enjoying 4 now. Same with Splinter Cell and all the other series they have.

the credibility of that statement aside, i dont believe it is beneficial to the game industry at all.

buy a game if you think it's good, regardless of its publisher, and dont buy it if it's bad. this is the simplest, and probably the only way to increase the overall quality of games.

Big-E

Said fuck EA and Ubisoft and I have not purchased a game from them since. Last EA game I bought were the EA humble bundle where I didn't even register my Origin games from that bundle and Assassin's Creed 2 is my only uplay only game.

Sentenza

Eh, I typically avoid statements like that, but that doesn't mean I feel particularly forgiving either.
If a company acts in a way I find unlikable/untrustworthy (hello, Ubisoft) I don't even need to make a proclaim, it comes very natural/effortless to me to avoid anything from them I don't consider a "must have".
The bad news for them is: there are VERY few games I tend to consider must have.

Not very seriously. I have friends who swore off different developers or publishers numerous times only to go out and buy a game from them a few weeks/months later.

I'm currently swearing off Ubisoft and I admit I'm being tested because I really want to play FC4 and chances are high I'll crack, but I'm trying to remain steadfast in not supporting them after Unity.

3bdelilah

Banned
the credibility of that statement aside, i dont believe it is beneficial to the game industry at all.

buy a game if you think it's good, regardless of its publisher, and dont buy it if it's bad. this is the simplest, and probably the only way to increase the overall quality of games.

These are words to live by. Publishers with shitty reputation can still publish some very well-made games, e.g. my example with Ubisoft, and it would be a shame to skip them for what another team did. But I do think it's okay to boycott a specific team (e.g. AC team) if they've done something to upset you.

It also shows 1 page out of 17. Good representation there!

Zombine

Banned
I was so disgusted and outraged by Microsoft's original plan for the Xbox One that I waited two whole months to purchase mine. That will teach them.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
That one page is the entirety of the members of that group playing any games at all when it was taken, and is cropped down from listing the 50 people per page to show the boycott group in the worst possible light.

And as I said - it doesn't matter because the boycott worked, and the very next game had dedicated servers.

The next one was Black Ops, no? By Treyarch? Honestly could have been the fact that they're far more aligned with the PC userbase than a boycott vote. Advanced Warfare has no dedicated servers AFAIK.

Never bought a single EA game after ME3, can't even remember the last game that I bought from Activision, and Ubisoft in the last years only saw 15 dollars of my money (in a 75% sale), so yeah, I do believe some people.

The next one was Black Ops, no? By Treyarch? Honestly could have been the fact that they're far more aligned with the PC userbase than a boycott vote. Advanced Warfare has no dedicated servers AFAIK.

I honestly don't know.
I don't buy CoD games, not because I'm a member of any boycott group, but because I think they're shit.

DrSlek

I'm that person!
I take myself serious and I wont buy games from Ubisoft or Evolution! Never never again!

I am also Spartacus!

EA, Actiblizzard, Ubisoft and Rockstar are on my shit list.

Rockstar can easily make their way back into my good graces by actually putting some effort into optimizing their PC port of GTAV.

The other publishers will require significantly more effort to start receiving my money again. I haven't bought a Ubisoft game since Farcry: Blood Dragon went on sale on Steam last year and I was confronted with severeal mandatory uPlay updates before I could play the game I paid for. Haven't purchased a Blizzard game since Wings of Liberty. It was so underwhelming and was just covered in the stench of corruption....that is"corruption" used as a mcguffin to wrap the plot around. I'm getting really tired of seeing that used in Blizzard games over and over again. As for EA....I decided I'd not buy anything from them when they began butchering titles I used to love. My only moment of weakness was when Mirror's Edge was $3 on Steam during a sale a couple of years ago. Apart from that it has been many years since I've bought an EA game.

HeelPower

People who say such things likely have very strong feelings because they were once very loyal fans.

So they're probably addicted and won't be able to keep their word.

Soodanim

Gold Member

No, the point of that image is LOL BOYCOTTS DON'T MATTER YOU CAN'T CHANGE ANYTHING which is demonstrably untrue.

Just because some people in any given group have the willpower of an unrepentant heroin addict, doesn't mean the power of a consumer to use the only power they have - their purchasing dollar - doesn't exist, or that principled purchase behaviour cannot change corporate direction.
Then there's the offline people, they may have been MW2 players too. So saying it's less than 2% isn't necessarily accurate, except for at that particular moment. But that's still besides the point.

What makes you think the MW2 "Boycott" was what did it, and not the general feedback over the course of the game's life? Unless IW/Activision came out and said that, it's just your assumption.

I disagree. The image itself does nothing more than show that some people who joined a boycott group didn't boycott at all. Nothing about not being able to change anything. That might have been the reason for some, but the image doesn't show that.

Top Bottom