• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balotelli Faces FA Probe Over 'Racist' Pic of Super Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool and Italy player Mario Balotelli will be investigated by the Football Association after posting a picture online labelled racist and anti-Semitic.
split-2-1600x900.jpg

SkyNews

panda-zebra

The purple stuff added on by whoever at the bottom was clearly not as well thought out as the top part.

Balotelli gonna Balotelli.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think he also got banned on NeoGAF for that when someone asked for black characters in Nintendo games ;).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh fuck, that jew part really sucks. The black part is a stereotype, yeah, but he's black, so he can say it.

Pretty sure he didn't make the pic, I remember seeing it before long ago. He probably just posted it because his name is Mario too and he thought it was funny? Dude posts here?

SRTtoZ

It was fine until the grabs coins like a jew. I mean I know it was a joke but you can't be doing that in a professional organization.

Hasn't that image existed for ages sans the last two comments? Not exactly a great original image, but those addendums are decidedly more mean spirited than the original joke.

panda-zebra

Ahh fuck, that jew part really sucks. The black part is a stereotype, yeah, but he's black, so he can say it.

That's the thing with the FA though, no he can't say that. He can't be black and use anti-black racist comments, FA are, err, very black and white when it comes to that, re: Ferdinand and Cole "choc-ice" incident.

webster1

Neo Member
I too see nothing anti-semitic about that, the only issue I see is he's talking about national stereotypes... oh wait you can be Israeli and not Jewish and black is a skin tone. Non-purple is good bit I really see no issue with it in genral but it's FIFA and anything close is zero tolerance

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The part where he grabs coins "like a jew", maybe?

Anyway, this picture is in no way racist or anti-semitic. It's poking fun at stereotypes and that's basically all.
The English, Italian and Japanese aspects are all facts while the Black, Jewish and Mexican aspects are racial stereotypes and connotations. The contrast between the two is enough to make it racist, even if the cause is just an ill thought out joke.

pakkit

Banned
Really? Balotelli, the black Italian soccer player who has had to deal with nasty racism and hooliganism his entire life, is being investigated? I don't think the joke is in great taste, but I think the FA should reserve their investigation to onfield allegations. Why not just tell him to remove the Instagram and let us all be on with our lifes...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing with the FA though, no he can't say that. He can't be black and use anti-black racist comments, FA are, err, very black and white when it comes to that, re: Ferdinand and Cole "choc-ice" incident.
I'm judging purely from my own system of ethics. I don't even know what FA is, lol. Is it a football / soccer thing? I don't follow sports.

And then what do we call "jumps like a black man" then?

This is all so pathetic. It's a joke.

In my opinion that's racist. I understand it's a joke but even then, as a Jew myself, I find casual anti-semitism like this to be pretty gross.

Alx

Haha, I thought the controversial part would be "looks like a Mexican", and then I read the bottom part... yeah, it's anti-semitic, and I'm not one to jump the gun over such controversies. Funny though, but inappropriate.

Reuenthal

Banned
If his mother is jewish he ticks most boxes

He is black
He is Italian
His mother is Jewish
And he is named Mario

that makes some sense he would post that. Seems like somewhat funny reference. I don't think this means he should be investigated for racism.

If you want to assume the worst you can but I don't see why.

ramparter

Banned
Oh no this shit again... In the end any funny pic will somehow insult some people out there.

edit
"Professional player post pic against racism, being investigated for racism."
Fuck this society...

Christ, since when is it illegal to be offensive? (which the picture isn't, it's the opposite)

Political Correctness needs to die.

The SEETHING hatred oozing from that pic is just too much to ignore.

This guy has a serious problem and needs to be fined, incarcerated and rehabilitated.

RIP Ballytello.

Also Athiesm is a pseudo RACIST CULT MOVEMENT towards Christianity! It's so racial it hurts.

nubbe

If his mother is jewish he ticks most boxes

He is black
He is Italian
His mother is Jewish
And he is named Mario

that makes some sense he would post that. Seems like somewhat funny reference. I don't think this means he should be investigated for racism.

If you want to assume the worst you can but I don't see why.

makes the outrage extra amusing

23qwerty

ITT: people don't realize that "positive stereotypes" are actually quite harmful to a lot of people that these stereotypes 'should' apply to but don't.
IE. black people that aren't athletic, jewish people who aren't rich, etc, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom