• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balotelli Faces FA Probe Over 'Racist' Pic of Super Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgcemir

Banned
to me this shows much bigger problem, and that is that you can make fun of everyone, black ppl, mexicans, muslims, everyone, but if you mention jews its antisemitism. every.single.time.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It is a joke. A poor taste one, but the pic is selfware. The more outrageous stereotype is saved for last as the punchline.

Rscist joke? Yes. Did he mean it? Nah

King_Moc

Banned
to me this shows much bigger problem, and that is that you can make fun of everyone, black ppl, mexicans, muslims, everyone, but if you mention jews its antisemitism. every.single.time.

Someone should invent a special word for when you persecute Palestinians.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It is a joke. A poor taste one, but the pic is selfware. The more outrageous stereotype is saved for last as the punchline.

Rscist joke? Yes. Did he mean it? Nah

I really dont think the pic is self aware, do you have proof?

Are people complaining more about the existence of "anti-semetic" being a thing more than the pic or it's actual discussion? smh

misteroms

Banned
Well we do know that without the Jewish comment on this pic, there had been no waves from anyone.

It's kind of amusing seeing Jewish people getting offended by the pic and totally ignoring the sentence above the Jewish one...

I mean, man, you've read the text from top to bottom and you're only offended by the last sentence ?

Talk about selective racism...

Apart from the two last sentences, everything's fine and my opinion is that talking about clichés for fun does not have to get you to the courtyard and being called an anti semitist...

Alx

Christ, since when is it illegal to be offensive? (which the picture isn't, it's the opposite)

Political Correctness needs to die.

It's not actually about being illegal, since it is a ruling within the football federation, not the law.
And in my opinion, it's not a great idea to fight racism with racist jokes, even if you're "allowed" to tell them because you're black/jewish/italian/whatever. The joke would have been ok in a stand-up comedy, in this case it deserves a slap on the wrist and a chuckle at a silly footballer.

danmaku

Mario looks like a Mexican? that's new to me.

Also, don't be purposefully dense, guys. Saying that Italians like soccer is a stereotype. Saying that Jews like money is a stereotype and implies that they're greedy. Can't you see the difference?

pakkit

Banned

so that's why no comedians are jewish...very few comic actors have any jewish heritage! self-deprecation and sarcasm just are not noted traits of jewish comedy.

Daffy Duck

It's a funny image, sadly I doubt the FA will see the funny side of this and fine him.

Hopefully that's all they do.

Why always him?

theaface

so that's why no comedians are jewish...very few comic actors have any jewish heritage!

I can only hope this post is dripping in sarcasm.

There's a lot of quite unbelievable stupid in this thread, especially the "I don't see how that's racist/offensive" posts. It's like Dave Whelan logic all over again.

You can make fun of Jews, just like you can with any of the other groups you mentioned, but to use one of the oldest stereotypes about us is pretty shitty.

Well we do know that without the Jewish comment on this pic, there had been no waves from anyone.

It's kind of amusing seeing Jewish people getting offended by the pic and totally ignoring the sentence above the Jewish one...

I mean, man, you've read the text from top to bottom and you're only offended by the last sentence ?

Talk about selective racism...

Apart from the two last sentences, everything's fine and my opinion is that talking about clichés for fun does not have to get you to the courtyard and being called an anti semitist...

The last two sentences are the only two that are offensive.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I'm pretty sure he posted that image to support the No to Racism campaign believing it to be genuinely anti-racist and because he shares the name. Witch hunt required obviously

Isn't it an old joke by Balotelli?
I'm not sure about the purple part though. First time I read the joke those lines aren't there.

All mexicans have moustaches and do manual labour work?

I'm not entirely sure what the image means by "Looks like a Mexican" I guess it could be interpreted as something offensive but I didn't see it that way. Whereas the last two lines are obvious stereotypes.

Jimrpg

oh what bullshit... balotelli does stupid things, but this is nothing compared to setting his bathroom on fire.

surely EVERYONE can have a lighthearted laugh at this.

also i don't condone racism whatsoever, but i get that thing passed around on Facebook a lot, on the racist joke scale that is pretty tame.

pLow7

I apologize if I’ve offended anyone. The post was meant to be anti-racist with humour. I now understand that out of context may have the opposite effect. Not all Mexicans have moustache, not all black people jump high and not all Jewish people love money. I used a cartoon done by someone else because it has Super Mario and I thought it was funny and not offensive. Again, I’m sorry.

On his FB.

go find a black dude and a Jewish dude and ask them to jump high and grab you some coins respectively

let us know how it worked out

How is any of this relevant? It's about an image of Mario, not racists or anti-Semites being dicks. People are allowed to joke about anything.

Or am I committing a hate crime when I laugh at Mort on Family Guy?

Richie

The pic says he looks like a Mexican. Mentions nothing about manual labor work. It's most likely just referring to the mustache. Hey, I'm Mexican myself. With how white skinned Mario is the Mexican comment isn't all that accurate, but I know what it aims for and can find the funny in it, no reason to drown in a glass of water.

mgcemir

Banned
You can make fun of Jews, just like you can with any of the other groups you mentioned, but to use one of the oldest stereotypes about us is pretty shitty.

so it has to be a new stereotype? or something that jews think its allowed to make fun of?

i think you are wrong, because jokes dont work like that.

zsidane

So, does it mean Jew do not have any sense of humor or what?

This is ridiculous. It's a joke, meant as a joke, and should only be seen as a joke. Any other interpretation and you have some humor problems.

Also, I'm must say while I'm familiar with this mario-joke, I've never seen before the last 2 sentences....

jimi_dini

Maybe that's actually the point of the pic.

Noone gets offended by the pic when reading that Mario looks like a Mexican, despite it also being racist.

Also: is Sarah Silverman racist as well? Or is it okay, because she's jewish?
0lYHTFH.jpg

And is this movie racist too?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105812/?ref_=nv_sr_1
(White men can't jump, which implies that black men can jump)

so it has to be a new stereotype? or something that jews think its allowed to make fun of?

i think you are wrong, because jokes dont work like that.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to use racist/anti-semitic stereotypes in jokes, I'm just saying I find lazy jokes based on nothing more than racism or antisemitism to be shitty and I'm not going to get upset if people get called out on that.

King_Moc

Banned
The pic says he looks like a Mexican. Mentions nothing about manual labor work. It's most likely just referring to the mustache. Hey, I'm Mexican myself. With how white skinned Mario is the Mexican comment isn't all that accurate, but I know what it aims for and can find the funny in it, no reason to drown in a glass of water.

I don't find it offensive, I just find it bizarre that that line gets ignored next to the last two.

Richie

I don't find it offensive, I just find it bizarre that that line gets ignored next to the last two.

Ah, okay! I can get where you're coming from, yeah. I always wondered why they banned Speedy Gonzales cartoons in America yet let Pepe Le Pew (another national stereotype) slide.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ah, okay! I can get where you're coming from, yeah. I always wondered why they banned Speedy Gonzales cartoons in America yet let Pepe Le Pew (another national stereotype) slide.
Speedy Gonzales is banned in the US? Are there more old banned cartoons?

Alx

Because fuck the French. :p

boiled goose

good with gravy
Plenty of white Mexicans... like a third of the population.

NewGame

Banned
Wait a moment, that picture has been edited. I remember seeing it years ago and it didn't have the 'jump like a black man, grab coins like a jew' purple text at the bottom.

Anyone else able to remember what version was first?

p3tran

Banned
bah, its a fucked up world... go on, investigate balotelli you pricks
do whatever you can to make your paycheck safe(r)

mgcemir

Banned
I'm not saying you aren't allowed to use racist/anti-semitic stereotypes in jokes, I'm just saying I find lazy jokes based on nothing more than racism or antisemitism to be shitty and I'm not going to get upset if people get called out on that.

how is this joke racist?

you can say that about anything and everything but it doesnt make it so, m8. i think its just, and we have a saying for this in my country, reversal of thesis.

Alienous

It's a joke.

The humour arises from the irony of saying "Don't be a racist" then ending the joke by saying something overtly racist.

It's perhaps an insensitive joke, but it doesn't inherently make the joke teller a racist.

Someone shop a sombrero on Super Mario, then make the statement that he could never pass for a man of Mexican background.

Seanspeed

Banned
People upset over the jew thing, but not the "looks like a mexican" or "jumps like a black person". Ok.
The jew thing is the only one that's a blatant negative stereotype. The Jews have had to deal with ages of persecution and suffering in the past because of people generalizing them as money-hungry. The black people jumping is a stereotype, technically a bit racist, but not all that harmful. The Mexican one, well, I don't see how saying somebody 'looks like a Mexican' is racist at all. I think that's just our learned sensitivity to the word 'Mexican'. I mean, 'Looks like a Spanish person' doesn't have nearly the same offensive tone about it, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom