• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balotelli Faces FA Probe Over 'Racist' Pic of Super Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgcemir

Banned
Israel's government calls it defense.

nuff said. and they would call you antisemit for pointing that out. this is the whole point. you can say anything you want, but if jews dont like it you are a racist and antisemit. meanwhile, asian ppl cant drive, black ppl dont want to work, arabs are towelheads, french are pussies and so on and so on.

Yagharek

When you force innocent people into a prison and steal their country, you don't get to claim self defense when they fight back.

I'm saying the word for persecuting Palestinians is apparently 'self defense'.

I'm not saying I agree with it at all. Quite the opposite.

Mory Dunz

nuff said. and they would call you antisemit for pointing that out. this is the whole point. you can say anything you want, but if jews dont like it you are a racist and antisemit. meanwhile, asian ppl cant drive, black ppl dont want to work, arabs are towelheads, french are pussies and so on and so on.

...are you implying there isn't isn't backlash when minority races are insulted?
I'm confused by what you're saying.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
He should have used this
HQ7lHSC.png

how is this joke racist?

you can say that about anything and everything but it doesnt make it so, m8. i think its just, and we have a saying for this in my country, reversal of thesis.

The racist part of the joke was implying that he can jump high because he's black.

Are you trying to imply that those aren't all racist stereotypes?

mgcemir

Banned
...are you implying there isn't isn't backlash when minority races are insulted?
I'm confused by what you're saying.

am saying that when i watched one episode of walking dead and that redneck guy said that he recognized that south korean guy because of his bad driving, they all laughed, but if he said i he recognized him because he carried his bag full of money through zombie apocalypse, that redneck guy would die in the next episode - that episode being the series finale. (overdramatization)

dont be confused when i say, you can talk about anything and everything, just not jews because you are then branded antisemit/terrorist/racist.

baloteli is a prick. but he shouldnt be investigated by fifa. and sure as hell he isnt racist/antisemit. this is just jew lobby "defending" themselves, or fifa suckup to the same. why didnt they investigate when they threw bannanas at him during match.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
The whole be like Mario thing must be confusing to some anyway considering that the US media portrays Italians as either mobsters or Guidos.

pachuco

This is one of those instances where, if he was a comedian this joke would be perfectly fine (I'm sure some people would still get pissy), but since he is an athlete and he represents a large number of companies/labels he is held to a different standard.

I'm not saying that is right. I'm just saying that is the situation.

I think the post is funny, but I also don't pay his salary. So, my opinion means dick!

ttech10

Christ, since when is it illegal to be offensive? (which the picture isn't, it's the opposite)

Political Correctness needs to die.

Since when did anyone say it was illegal to be offensive?

He's being investigated by the FA over posting something they deemed inappropriate. It's not like British police are arresting him, this is similar to a kid wearing sagging jeans in middle school. Not illegal, but against their policy.

Jon Stewart would be disappointed you're using his picture but can't distinguish between the two. It's like when Fox News was yelling about the death of Freedom of Speech when the Duck Dynasty guy was being criticized for his thoughts (which is something Stewart made fun of Fox News for). His views were completely legal, but that didn't stop A&E from (temporarily) banning him from the network.

baloteli is a prick. but he shouldnt be investigated by fifa. and sure as hell he isnt racist/antisemit. this is just jew lobby "defending" themselves, or fifa suckup to the same. why didnt they investigate when they threw bannanas at him during match.

lol, Jew lobby...

Scipio

The part where he grabs coins "like a jew", maybe?

Anyway, this picture is in no way racist or anti-semitic. It's poking fun at stereotypes and that's basically all.

No way, that would've maybe worked if indeed there were more than 2 stereotypes on the pic. There are four lines simply stating facts, and two (about jews and black men) using (boring) stereotypes. IMO, and correct me if wrong, the fact that a black man jumps higher that the average person is not even close to be as offensive as a stereotype that was heavily used inHitler's pre-War propagada.

Yes, there is something wrong about a world-famous footballer liking a pic with a line that also could have been found in Die Ewige Jude and yes, the FA should give a signal that these kind of things are fundamentally wrong.

EDIT: Wow, there seem to be a lot of hate to a so-called Jew lobby... Load of bullocks that is.

mgcemir

Banned
fine, i said what i had to say, and you all stick to one final word at the end, missing the entire point that i said earlier.

danm999

why didnt they investigate when they threw bannanas at him during match.

http://www.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...incident-italy-croatia-mario-balotelli-061512

UEFA is investigating claims a banana was thrown onto the pitch during Italy's European Championship game against Croatia Thursday.

A photographer was reported to have witnessed a steward retrieving a banana in the 1-1 Group B draw in Poznan as well as hearing monkey chants directed at Italy striker Mario Balotelli.

The rest of your post isn't worth the energy honestly.

ttech10

Wow. Someone just outed themselves.

And FIFA and UEFA both have investigated instances where bananas have been thrown or claimed to have been thrown on the field. The team of the fans responsible have even been fined after said investigations. Acting like something that happened never actually happened to try and make a point? Yea, someone definitely just outed themselves.

Karkador

Banned
No way, that would've maybe worked if indeed there were more than 2 stereotypes on the pic. There are four lines simply stating facts, and two (about jews and black men) using (boring) stereotypes.

"Looks like a Mexican" is a stereotype

AkIRA_22

Poor taste? Stupid? yes. Antisemitic? No

Antisemitism is prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews

Poking fun by highlighting a well known and old stereotype is hardly the above.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Everything is a joke on stereotypes in that image, do all black people jump high? Are all Mexicans short and with mustaches?
Sorry but sometimes it really seems to be a competition for who is the most abused.

This thread makes me sad. The single fact we have to discuss this in 2014 hurts my brain. People seriously talking about things like a "jew lobby", "can´t see whats wrong with it" etc etc give me a grim perspective about humanity.

theaface

This thread makes me sad. The single fact we have to discuss this in 2014 hurts my brain. People seriously talking about things like a "jew lobby", "can´t see whats wrong with it" etc etc give me a grim perspective about humanity.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

Not to mention people expressing their support in terrorism.

Since when did anyone say it was illegal to be offensive?

He's being investigated by the FA over posting something they deemed inappropriate. It's not like British police are arresting him, this is similar to a kid wearing sagging jeans in middle school. Not illegal, but against their policy.

Jon Stewart would be disappointed you're using his picture but can't distinguish between the two. It's like when Fox News was yelling about the death of Freedom of Speech when the Duck Dynasty guy was being criticized for his thoughts (which is something Stewart made fun of Fox News for). His views were completely legal, but that didn't stop A&E from (temporarily) banning him from the network.

When I said "illegal to be" I wasn't being literal and referring to laws and a court. So I'll leave it at that and ignore your ad hominem text about my avatar.

Can we talk about comedy for a second? the top part of the image is fairly well known (I'd seen it before at least). It's supposed to be an inspirational message talking about the wonders of multiculturalism. It's perhaps a bit dodgy towards Mexicans.

The added, actually racist bit at the bottom is the punchline specifically because it is a bit racist. That why you laugh when you see it, your expectations were subverted, you were shocked just a tiny bit and that makes you laugh. A comedian, I can't remember who now because it was on a podcast about a year ago (Marc Maron maybe?), talked about comedy being a consensual violation and I think that's appropriate to this image. It's funny because it steps over that line of propriety that we set as a society. If you laugh, it doesn't mean you agree with the racism at the bottom, most likely the opposite in fact.

I think the worst thing about these stories is that they bring out the actual racists in frothy mouthed defense. Sad.

JediLink

Tangentially related to the topic at hand, but is anyone else bothered that people often use Paper Mario to represent Mario? They're barely the same character.

danm999

When I said "illegal to be" I wasn't being literal and referring to laws and a court. So I'll leave it at that and ignore your ad hominem text about my avatar.

It's not correct in any context.

Getting in trouble with your employer for being offensive on social media isn't an issue of legality.

UrbanRats

Don't know about the Jewish part (unless he's part Jewish) but i think if you're part of the group targeted by a stereotype/offensive word, you have every right to use it, since sarcasm is a good way to own something and diminish its power.
This referring to the "black man" line, of course.

Boss Mog

This thread is embarrassing.

It truly is. What's funny is that I saw somebody post that pic on GAF a few days ago (I can't remember in which thread), before Balotelli did, and that person was swiftly and rightfully banned. But now, some of the stuff being said in this thread (and you only need to look at the post right above mine) is actually far more offensive.

SmokyDave

The pic says he looks like a Mexican. Mentions nothing about manual labor work. It's most likely just referring to the mustache. Hey, I'm Mexican myself. With how white skinned Mario is the Mexican comment isn't all that accurate, but I know what it aims for and can find the funny in it, no reason to drown in a glass of water.

Man, I love this turn of phrase.

Portugeezer

The jew thing is the only one that's a blatant negative stereotype. The Jews have had to deal with ages of persecution and suffering in the past because of people generalizing them as money-hungry. The black people jumping is a stereotype, technically a bit racist, but not all that harmful. The Mexican one, well, I don't see how saying somebody 'looks like a Mexican' is racist at all. I think that's just our learned sensitivity to the word 'Mexican'. I mean, 'Looks like a Spanish person' doesn't have nearly the same offensive tone about it, does it?
Mexicans looking like Mario is somehow not offensive? I guess Mexicans all have big noses and moustaches, pardon my ignorance.

All in all though, I don't think the pic was meant as racism, just a bit tasteless for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom