• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balotelli Faces FA Probe Over 'Racist' Pic of Super Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah let's just retroactively change the meaning of words for no good reason.

The word was invented to give a term to a particular breed of discrimination against a particular group of people because it existed as a genuine historical phenomenon with many common themes (e.g. the blood libel). It never literally meant 'discrimination against semites', and in fact there isn't really a group of people called semites - semitic generally refers to a language group that includes Hebrew and Arabic.

So the use of the term "anti-semitic" has been wrong all along?

Paracelsus

I wonder what will it take before they come up with the unfit to plead call on him. Either that, or they banish him from social media for as long as he is a professional player.

Corpekata

Banned
that brings up another point...why is it NOT okay to talk shit about Jews, but its perfectly acceptable to bash Christians?

Perfectly acceptable how? Is there an epidemic of Christian attacks in the mainstream? Because even a lot of Hollywood plays up thanking Jesus and whatnot at the Oscars. Might fly in certain crowds but to call it perfectly acceptable is ridiculous. Not to mention there's really not as many nasty stereotypes for Christians.

G.ZZZ

I don´t think Balotelli is racist, but I think he´s stupid.

I´m also pretty sure he thinks he´s actually sending a positive message.

He has been facing a lot of racism in football stadiums across Italy recently.

This belongs in OT btw.

What? This tool play in the FA, and act like he's the second coming of christ. He get 0 simpathy from me.

bsod

Banned
This is kind of fitting considering all the threads discussing whether or not someone should be reprimanded or fired by their employer over their social media activity.

wildfire

Banned
I thought the stupidity in the joke was amusing but the stpidity in this thread is becmonig hilarious.

Jew lobby?

Looks like a Mexican isn't stereotyping?

Come on people.

Huggers

He has enough to worry about, his form at Liverpool has been awful. And at Milan for that matter. So much potential too. Always one step from controversy. Always found him kind of likable though

Afrikan

So he's Jewish "for the jokes"?

not the first

Curbs8ep1lawyer1_story.jpg

...are you implying there isn't isn't backlash when minority races are insulted?
I'm confused by what you're saying.
I think he's saying that he's sick of the "Jew conspiracy." We were about two posts away from being educated on cultural Marxism.

I am surprised to see so much offense at the "jumps like a black man" bit. There are stereotypes and then there are harmful stereotypes that people have been persecuted for. Of course I doubt many people view the image as intentionally digging at Jews where other cultures got a pass--I don't know how else you would include coins in a bit about racism, and Mario definitely does collect them--but it shouldn't be surprising if we find the Jewish community less enthused than other minorities mentioned.

If his mother is jewish he ticks most boxes

He is black
He is Italian
His mother is Jewish
And he is named Mario

that makes some sense he would post that. Seems like somewhat funny reference. I don't think this means he should be investigated for racism.

If you want to assume the worst you can but I don't see why.

In other words, if anyone in the world should be "offended" by the pic, it should be him... but it seems he just found it funny (maybe precisely because several of the references could be applied to him) an reposted it. Ironical that now he is being investigated because it was racist.

mantidor

I saw the image here before, the person was banned. I thought the image was funny.

Last two are a bit problematic but even my jewish boss was the first one who jokingly mentioned he was all about the money. If he has jewish parents it makes sense.

And the Mexican stereotype of having a moustache is hardly the worst stereotype about mexicans. My mexican friends don't seem to mind.

KiraXD

Perfectly acceptable how? Is there an epidemic of Christian attacks in the mainstream? Because even a lot of Hollywood plays up thanking Jesus and whatnot at the Oscars. Might fly in certain crowds but to call it perfectly acceptable is ridiculous. Not to mention there's really not as many nasty stereotypes for Christians.

ehh i guess im over exaggerating a little... but it just seems like its perfectly acceptable to talk shit about christians. i see tons of Athiest posts and Science posts that ridicule religion (christianity seems to be the biggest target)

While Christians DO have major bad stereotypes (WBC) it just seems like overall its acceptable to talk shit about them regardless. Personally i dont care too much, as im agnostic... but hate towards religion from athiests seems skewed towards anti-christian rather than anti-religion.

Cyd0nia

Banned
I don't think he's grasped that the last two lines would make this inflammatory - he just thinks its a knowing anti-racist joke. Its obvious why he regrammed it, his name is mario, he gets racist abuse, its about racism, it features the other well known mario. If the FA aren't complete pillocks they'll give him a warning or something.

Cyd0nia

Banned
What? This tool play in the FA, and act like he's the second coming of christ. He get 0 simpathy from me.

He seems quite humble to me. Rarely celebrates goals (not that he's scoring much at the minute), because he believes that's just his job. There are many strange tales of his generosity off the pitch as well. The guys a likeable character IMO - I just wish he was doing a better job for Liverpool!

*Splinter

Haha, poor Balotelli, he really shouldn't have had to apologise for reposting a stupid, mildly offensive image. Especially since his intention was to be anti-racist (honest mistake, don't think he ever claimed to be a genius).

Can you imagine what the Internet would be like if everyone was held to this ridiculous standard? A ghost town. And wiki.

nuff said. and they would call you antisemit for pointing that out. this is the whole point. you can say anything you want, but if jews dont like it you are a racist and antisemit. meanwhile, asian ppl cant drive, black ppl dont want to work, arabs are towelheads, french are pussies and so on and so on.
Well you can call the French pussies all you like, they won't argue because... y'know... :p

I kid, but I'm allowed to make jokes about the French because I am
English
He should have used this
HQ7lHSC.png
That works quite well actually... I like it
I'm not sure which form of anti racism I prefer though, pretend we don't have differences or celebrate our differences in a positive light... That image is obviously going for the former but I think there is merit to be found in the latter too.

Isn't this guy like, completely mad? Not a racist guy, no. Just a loony. Didn't he once give out tonnes of money and presents for Christmas?

If that's how you derive madness heaven help humanity....

Oh, that was meant to be a separate point which I was making because it certainly contrasts with someone being a bigot and a racist. Sorry. :p

He is a bit mad, mind.
I mean, it's not often that rich people are so ridiculously generous. He must be a madman.

It's the FA! Once they smell blood on social media they'll come after ya! Sorry ballo :(

With that said I'm happy my Arsenal lads don't use Twitter and Instagram like a 14 year old.

Majukun

seems like a case of "political correctness" driven too far...damn the "title" of the image is "don't be racist"

the entire point of the image is that it's one character who posses "qualities" that are stereotipically assigned to different races

basically you can translate said image to "racism is bullshit"

Vizzeh

Banned
He is one of the highest targeted players, usually a victim of racism.. He has many times been in tears due to a small number of fans even from his nationality saying "There are no Black Italians in italy"

He is clearly joking in his picture, it's an example of side - stepping common sense (due to but not exclusively.. him being black, mother Jewish, name like Mario) for people to get on their high horse and claim racism.. Political correctness gone mad, where you get a voice by constantly being devils advocate. imo a form of attention seeking, with all context removed.

Majukun

He is one of the highest targeted players, usually a victim of racism.. He has many times been in tears due to a small number of fans even from his nationality saying "There are no Black Italians in italy"

He is clearly joking in his picture, it's an example of side - stepping common sense (due to but not exclusively.. him being black, mother Jewish, name like Mario) for people to get on their high horse and claim racism.. Political correctness gone mad, where you get a voice by constantly being devils advocate. imo a form of attention seeking, with all context removed.

his mother is not jewish..

the adoptive one is from brescia,italy,the biological one is from ghana

but I agree with the rest og the post

magnetic

anyone who says this isnt funny is lying, imo.

...because this is just such a brilliant nugget of comedy, right?

It´s one of those wannabe-edgy meme pics that gets tons of upvotes on MemeCenter or similar trashy sites.

This casual "racism light" is pathetic.

p3tran

Banned
so its true.. keep repeating the same thing for longtime, and parrots will start to recite too.
so far, in history we've seen discrimination between people only to benefit specific parties, not social but economic.
racist, terrorist etc, these are "fancy" words that found their way into everybody's vocabulary because some groups wanted to. and the fact that there exist groups of people ready to fight for these things, well, imho that a great bonus for those who pull the strings.
so, since the majority simply doesnt understand, those of you that do, just sit back and enjoy the rift. cause you know its coming.

in the meantime, fifa -or whoever- should just throw some more bananas at balotelli then immediately process him for ...racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom