• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balotelli Faces FA Probe Over 'Racist' Pic of Super Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

He seems quite humble to me. Rarely celebrates goals (not that he's scoring much at the minute), because he believes that's just his job. There are many strange tales of his generosity off the pitch as well. The guys a likeable character IMO - I just wish he was doing a better job for Liverpool!
Liverpool first needs to do a good job for anyone to expect Balotelli to do so.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mexicans looking like Mario is somehow not offensive? I guess Mexicans all have big noses and moustaches, pardon my ignorance.

All in all though, I don't think the pic was meant as racism, just a bit tasteless for some people.
I guess I never thought about the big nose thing. Figured it was just because of the mustache.

Clegg

I cant wait until we get over this obsession that athletes have to be good role models. If the FA charge him they'll probably cite the number of children who follow him on social media etc etc. They did that when they banned Ferdinand a while back.

j3ff3

Banned
Grabs coins like a Jew is blatantly anti-semitic.

is it though?

Jewish people are, and historically have been, heavily involved in finance.

i honestly think that when people take offense to these sorts of stereotypes they do so because they are uncomfortable with the amount of truth they often hold, - therefore demonstrating discomfort in and of themselves.

is it racist to call me an arrogant tea-swilling buck-toothed imperialist?

not really imo. obviously its a stereotype. i guess it depends on context (ie stereotypes are only racist in the way that they are communicated)

is it though?

i honestly think that when people take offense to these sorts of stereotypes they do so because they are uncomfortable with the amount of truth they often hold, - therefore demonstrating discomfort in and of themselves.

not really imo.

Maybe not you but calling British people that sure is racist.

Seanspeed

Banned
is it though?

Its also been a basis of justification for persecuting the Jews in the past.

You can hardly blame them for being 'uncomfortable' with this stereotype being joked about.

Yea, I'd say so.

Just because you might not take offense doesn't mean you shouldn't or that others wouldn't.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
his mother is not jewish..

the adoptive one is from brescia,italy,the biological one is from ghana

but I agree with the rest og the post

What are you on about, his adoptive mother is Jewish and a holocaust survivor. You have a fucked up term for what Jewish means because yes there are Italian Jews. He's also been attacked by anti-Semite websites among all sorts of other crap.

j3ff3

Banned
Maybe not you but calling British people that sure is racist.

why? I'm honestly curious.

its pretty historically accurate if you go back a few decades.

we might not like to admit the arrogance, but it was there. and we do place less importance on oral hygiene purely because of the way the health-service and insurance policies are structured. and we fucking love tea.

stereotypes are just more than just racist slurs imo. but again, it depends on what and how its said. personally i don't see a huge problem in the odd dig at a group of people who were very money oriented historically.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
why? I'm honestly curious.

its pretty historically accurate if you go back a few decades.

we might not like to admit the arrogance, but it was there. and we do place less importance on oral hygiene purely because of the way the health-service and insurance policies are structured. and we fucking love tea.

stereotypes are just more than just racist slurs imo. but again, it depends on what and how its said. personally i don't see a huge problem in the odd dig at a group of people who were very money oriented historically.

We, we, that's the whole point the actions of a some members of a society or race does not represent all of them especially not future generations that had nothing to do with it. It's text book racism. The second you start to generalise is the second you reach problems because it makes no logical sense.

It's a completely irrational point of view. Not every member of a race has the same viewpoints, characteristics etc.

nynt9

Poor taste? Stupid? yes. Antisemitic? No

Poking fun by highlighting a well known and old stereotype is hardly the above.

This is how I stood when I saw the image a while ago, and it's still how I feel. I have a really dark sense of humor anyway so I get it. But I see why as a professional athlete he'd get flack from the FA for posting this.

DBT85

Well that's that.

I don't get this. They are just dudes who run and kick balls, how are they supposed to be role models?

Are you asking why are they supposed to be role models, or how are they supposed to be role models?

Why? Because millions of people, kids included, look up to football stars and other sports stars. They wear their shirts, they buy their merch, they pretend to be them in the park, they get the same haircut, they have them on their birthday cakes. The players didn't ask for it, its just the way it is.

If we could get all PL football players for example to behave toward the refs like rugby players do, do you think that kids calling the ref a blind idiot on Sunday would be more or less likely to happen?

How? Don't be a cunt.

How does a black man jump? I don't know this stereotype.

inb4 "like Mario"

MPW-53152

Black men jumping for a basketball. On behalf of all black people, I want you to file a complaint to Hollywood for being stereotypical.

j3ff3

Banned
We, we, that's the whole point the actions of a some members of a society or race does not represent all of them especially not future generations that had nothing to do with it. It's text book racism. The second you start to generalise is the second you reach problems because it makes no logical sense.

It's a completely irrational point of view. Not every member of a race has the same viewpoints, characteristics etc.

I'm not saying I disagree with this.

What I am saying is that the second you take generalisations seriously, is the second that they hold any sort of relevance or importance. They should be taken for what they are - usually a brief and mildly offensive historical summary of a group of people. It is inherent that it can't be true for everyone...

And further to that if we do take it seriously, how are we not allowed to generalise about the Jewish people, but we are allowed to generalise that it is anti-semetic? Surely, again, that should come down to the individual?

DBT85

And further to that if we do take it seriously, how are we not allowed to generalise about the Jewish people, but we are allowed to generalise that it is anti-semetic? Surely, again, that should come down to the individual?

Are you trying to say that it a stereotypical reference to jews shouldn't be classed as anti semitic until we've had a vote?

Jezan

The jew thing is the only one that's a blatant negative stereotype. The Jews have had to deal with ages of persecution and suffering in the past because of people generalizing them as money-hungry. The black people jumping is a stereotype, technically a bit racist, but not all that harmful. The Mexican one, well, I don't see how saying somebody 'looks like a Mexican' is racist at all. I think that's just our learned sensitivity to the word 'Mexican'. I mean, 'Looks like a Spanish person' doesn't have nearly the same offensive tone about it, does it?
Not all mexicans are short, fat and have a mustache. That's the "racists" part of the looks like a Mexican.

BTW looking like a mexican should be a compliment :)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this is one of those things where the actual racism in the situation is somehow less problematic than what the people in this thread are saying to defend it

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not saying I disagree with this.

What I am saying is that the second you take generalisations seriously, is the second that they hold any sort of relevance or importance. They should be taken for what they are - usually a brief and mildly offensive historical summary of a group of people. It is inherent that it can't be true for everyone...

You don't generalise full stop it serves no purpose unless your trying to find scientific trends It's precisely because people generalise so much that racism sexism etc is an issue in the first place, those statements rarely exist in a vacuum, it's why certain minorities are are treated the way they are whether in jobs by the police or civil institutions.

It is serious very serious, which is people don't take light of it. All you have do is look police situation in America to see how systemic and widespread it is even amongst the notable western countries.

j3ff3

Banned
Are you trying to say that it a stereotypical reference to jews shouldn't be classed as anti semitic until we've had a vote?

no. :) i was playing devil's advocate.

I'm saying that not being allowed to generalise about groups of people or things, and equating generalisation to racism, is as equally silly as having to gain a consensus about whether something is anti-semetic.

PC gone mad imho.

TimmmV

I cant wait until we get over this obsession that athletes have to be good role models. If the FA charge him they'll probably cite the number of children who follow him on social media etc etc. They did that when they banned Ferdinand a while back.

When Ferdinand got a fine for calling Cole a choc-ice? Imo the implication that gave was as racist as the Terry/Suarez things that they got bans over. He got off really lightly there. Implying that there is a white way to act and a black way to act (and that Cole was really white because he wasn't automatically siding with black people, instead of what he thought was right/wrong) is racist and I find offensive.

Here Balotelli has (again) acted without really thinking of the impact of his actions, but its clear he was making a self referential joke, there was literally no malice intended in it whatsoever, and then the moment he realised some people might be offended he posted an apology that seems genuinely sincere. If the FA punish him for it it will be a total joke. Another example of them going after easy punishments so they can look like they're doing something, while letting important issues go completely ignored.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
no. :) i was playing devil's advocate.

I'm saying that not being allowed to generalise about groups of people or things, and equating generalisation to racism, is as equally silly as having to gain a consensus about whether something is anti-semetic.

PC gone mad imho.

That's because it is Racism. It is very definition. Jesus Christ. Some people don't even know the definition of the words they complain about.

Racism - Oxford dictionary

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:

j3ff3

Banned
You don't generalise full stop it serves no purpose unless your trying to find scientii trends It's precisely because people generalise so much that racism sexism etc is an issue in the first place, those statements rarely exist in a vacuum, it's why certain minorities are are treated the way they are whether in jobs by the police or civil institutions.

It is serious very serious, which is people don't take light of it. All you have do is look police situation in America to see how systemic and widespread it is even amongst the notable western countries.

Different cultures tend to have different social norms.

If you've experienced that culture there is nothing wrong with generalising about it. Otherwise how could you ever describe your experience? You can't do it from the perspective of every single individual.

j3ff3

Banned
That's because it is Racism. It is very definition. Jesus Christ. Some people don't even know the definition of the words they complain about.

i think you need to re-read and understand my post before reaching for the dictionary.

look at your definition. "ALL members of each race."

a generalisation does not attribute a characteristic to all members in any serious way.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Different cultures tend to have different social norms.

If you've experienced that culture there is nothing wrong with generalising about it. Otherwise how could you ever describe your experience?

Yes there is, the qualifiers some or a lot exist for a reason it's not difficult.

i think you need to re-read and understand my post before reaching for the dictionary.

I think you need to understand what the term racism even means is it's pretty clear why your statements aren't accepted as politically correct your refusing to admit it.

Politically correct as often obtuse as it is, exists for a reason.

DBT85

I may be a cunt (a giant one actually) but at least I never had footballers as role models.

Well done?

Were you able to read the thoughts of people you respected or aspired to when you were a child like they can today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc?

SerTapTap

Would've been A-OK without the last two sentences. Still not that bad but it just pushes the point too far.

The meme is usually circulated without the last two. I still don't really see how Mario looks mexican though. He doesn't really look Italian either. I dunno he just looks like Mario.

j3ff3

Banned
Yes there is, the qualifiers some or a lot exist for a reason it's not difficult.

I think you need to understand what the term racism even means is it's pretty clear why your statements aren't accepted as politically correct your refusing to admit it.

Politically correct as often obtuse as it is, exists for a reason.

you don't need to use the words 'some' or 'a lot' when you are generalising.

its inherent in the word.

again, as i said, it's all about context. but a generalisation about a race, based on aggregate historical behaviour is not racist unless you assume every Jew is involved in finance.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

look at your definition. "ALL members of each race."

a generalisation does not attribute a characteristic to all members in any serious way.

More dictionary definitions
General

Concerned with, applicable to, or affecting the whole or every member of a class or category:

Generalisation

A principle, theory, etc, with general application
The act or an instance of generalizing

Keep on digging my man just keep on digging. The mere fact I have to point this out to you is extremely sad.

Your argument basically comes down to light racism is fine because it's light. Sure you can believe if you want but don't be shocked when people call racism well racism, because light racism is still racism.

Infinite

Really? Balotelli, the black Italian soccer player who has had to deal with nasty racism and hooliganism his entire life, is being investigated? I don't think the joke is in great taste, but I think the FA should reserve their investigation to onfield allegations. Why not just tell him to remove the Instagram and let us all be on with our lifes...
Basically how I feel. He didn't make the meme either.

Felspawn

Honest question here. why is racism against jews call Antisemitism, but racism against pretty much any other race or ethnicity simply called racism. Why does it warrant its own Verb?

j3ff3

Banned
More dictionary definitions

Keep on digging my man just keep on digging. The mere fact I have to point this out to you is extremely sad.

As you like definitions:

Generalise: Make a general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases

-----

Generalisations are oversimplified broad statements that do not guarantee the specific characterists of every object involved. I don't see how you can see otherwise. Saying for example that all landlords in the UK are Indian is an oversimplification of Indians owning a lot of residential property in the country, for the benefit of a joke. No one actually believes they're all landlords ffs.

Wut? This meme has been around for AGES. I saw it posted on a friend's facebook like 4-5 years ago?

I thought it was funny and "liked" it. It's a joke.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Generalise: Make a general or broad statement by inferring from specific cases

Generalisations are oversimplified broad statements that do not guarantee the specific characterists of every object involved.

No of that helps your case or contradicts what I said. It's still racism, you can argue the severity all you want but don't pretend, that it isn't and don't pretend that society has gone mad for simply pointing this out to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom