• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

A couple of characters are aware of his obvious crush on Naoto (ie: Yukari) and they tease him about it, but I don't recall Naoto ever outright blushing when it came to Kanji.

I dunno, I think she does on the Ski trip, but I can't remember if she's blushing at him or Senpai now.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I always thought that Kanji and Naoto was one sided, with everything coming from Kanji.

The way I saw it when I first played through the game was that Kanji was attracted to Naoto when she first turns up (and her gender is ambiguous). Combined with his hobbies, it adds into his whole confused sexuality thing, that we see in manifested in his shadow being gay.

When he finds out she's a girl, it rationalises why he was attracted to her in the first place, making her important to his sexual identity.

Naoto always struck me as fairly sexless in terms of chemistry with the rest of the group.

Dantis

Oh, I was talking about Persona Q, though if we're talking about the Ski trip, she blushes because she falls on top of him, iirc?

Correct!

The IT is a pretty diverse group in terms of personality. I don't think anyone is really romantically compatible with one another.

This is actually what I've always said, but in terms of Naoto and Kanji, they have nothing going for each other. They don't play off one another in any way.

This is actually what I've always said, but in terms of Naoto and Kanji, they have nothing going for each other. They don't play off one another in any way.

Well of course they don't. It's Yu's job to help Naoto accept herself as she grapples with gender roles.

The same way Yu helps Kanji accept himself... as he grapples with gender roles...

Huh.

Lunar15

The actual secret best relationship in Persona 4 is
Rise x Kanji.
Yukiko even points it out in Q.

I hate shipping and pairing in every piece of fiction that involves more than one person, but this I can agree on.

Also, here's a hot take: All of the romance paths in P4 are actually kind of stupid. It feels really tacked on to the game, which is why I laugh whenever someone brings up P4 as an example of dating sims taking over RPG's. Dating in P4 is such a throwaway concept, it's almost totally ignorable if it wasn't for the fact that you kind of have to act like a dick to reject some people, like Rise.

PK Gaming

Missed this from before, but what are your thoughts on the other three?

They sometimes got a little too sappy for my taste, but I liked them overall. Yukiko's was pretty good throughout because the romance doesn't come out of nowhere (she's sending pretty obvious signals from like, rank 4). Chie doesn't have that, but at the same time, I like how she works up the courage to basically ask you out. I dunno what else to say... it was a cute relationship. I enjoyed dating Rise, but the lead into her romance route was flawed (but that should go without saying.)

Ai Ebihara's is just incredible, full stop. The most nuanced and well-realized romance route in the game, by far. It doesn't feel like an afterthought.

Ayane's is goddamn hilarious.

wmlk

Ai Ebihara's is just incredible, full stop. The most nuanced and well-realized romance route in the game, by far. It doesn't feel like an afterthought.

That's really not the best compliment lol.

I don't mind the SLs in the game since we get to see more of the characters, but the actual romance subplot for some of them are just really bad and obviously one-sided but gives you the illusion that it isn't.

cj_iwakura

They sometimes got a little too sappy for my taste, but I liked them overall. Yukiko's was pretty good throughout because the romance doesn't come out of nowhere (she's sending pretty obvious signals from like, rank 4). Chie doesn't have that, but at the same time, I like how she works up the courage to basically ask you out. I dunno what else to say... it was a cute relationship. I enjoyed dating Rise, but the lead into her romance route was flawed (but that should go without saying.)

Ayane's is goddamn hilarious.

More or less how I feel, though considering how smitten Rise is with the MC, it works out. Ai's was fantastic.

Chie's S.Link is better with the romance because otherwise it ends the exact same way it started. It doesn't feel like the plot went anywhere. The actual romance itself is blah and comes out of nowhere but at least it ends the S.Link on some sort of note of interest. Her normal rank 10 is just whatever.

CorvoSol

Oh, I was talking about Persona Q. Although if we're talking about the Ski trip, she blushes because she falls on top of him, iirc?

Yeah that sounds about how I remember it. So she coulda been blushing just for falling down. I feel like there were some things you could interpret as reciprocation if you wanted to, but for the most part the idea is that Kanji had a crush on her.

Given how little they interact in the Arena games, I'm trying to remember if Kanji's feelings for her come up at all in those games.

Kanji and Naoto would make a terrible couple.

I think it could work, Kanji bein' a stay at home dad and minding the kiddos while she's out Sherlockin' it up, but the actual romancing would be weird to watch.

I assume the "heifer" talk is going to be part of Kanami's character arc about Idols being seen as meat.

Heavy-handed messages? In an Atlus game??
Perish the thought!!

Seriously, tho. I'm getting real tired of this shit already.

Given how little they interact in the Arena games, I'm trying to remember if Kanji's feelings for her come up at all in those games.

I think it could work, Kanji bein' a stay at home dad and minding the kiddos while she's out Sherlockin' it up, but the actual romancing would be weird to watch.

It comes up in Kanji's route all over the place. Especially in the joke ending path.

Also yeah, that's how I see it too.

PK Gaming

vore

tumblr_n7l9pdINCW1tbskwzo2_500.gif

So the consensus among my peers here is that Kanji has a one-sided crush on Naoto and Naoto doesn't reciprocate his feelings right? And that the Kanji x Naoto relationship just doesn't seem possible because Naoto just doesn't like Kanji's characteristics?

Correct or incorrect?

But how likely is it that any romance social link you form with someone is going to last? No one knows right? Rise's lovers route throughout the P4G game seems the most happily every after type - like I can genuinely see Rise and the MC keep in touch in Uni and somehow get married in the future. The same with Yukari as well. There's something about the lovers arcana that makes it seem fairy tale like. And yea, the additional scenes in P4G for Naoto…
take all of me! (not just my heart!)
= forever love lee hom style

the newest p4dancing anime cutscene, is that the definition of low quality? Lower than P4G right? P4G was done by madhouse?

CorvoSol

So the consensus among my peers here is that Kanji has a one-sided crush on Naoto and Naoto doesn't reciprocate his feelings right? And that the Kanji x Naoto relationship just doesn't seem possible because Naoto just doesn't like Kanji's characteristics?

I don't know that it's a matter of Naoto not liking him. It's more that she doesn't seem to really notice his feelings for her, which is typical of people their age. Add to that that you don't really get to know what kind of guy Naoto is into (aside from Senpai and Senpai is literally everyone's type), and it makes for an unknown.

guys plz the cop x street punk role play would be haaaawught

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
But how likely is it that any romance social link you form with someone is going to last? No one knows right?

Yu leans back and look at the ceiling, sucking what little remains of his last cigarette. He had just finished the estimates of his companies projects after pulling an all-nighter.

Wistfully he looks at the picture he took in Inaba, of the friends and lovers he made in that one crazy year. Indeed, they were bonds that were supposed to last forever, but alas, it is inevitable that they would pursue their own separate paths. He stares blankly at it. Then, he cracked his last beer, and went to sleep in his lonely apartment.

Persona 4: After
By Makoto Shinkai

MSMrRound

Correct or incorrect?

Nope. It just seems that outside of matters related to investigating, Naoto can be very oblivious to her surroundings and stuff, including Kanji's supposed "crush". Man, the writers sure tried to work the pairing hard into the original P4 animation and Kanji's joke ending in Ultimax though.

CorvoSol

The P4D trailer is miiiiildly better with subtitles? The cutscene quality is shite though. Looks really bad. I wonder who the studio is?

NO.

Nah but think about it. She sure does spend a lot of time with her, and that's all you really need to rank 10 someone.

>That showbiz joke from Dojima in the game
>Yu starting to feel like a real idol
>Only person in the Investigation Team without somewhat of clear career end-goal

;)

Nope. It just seems that outside of matters related to investigating, Naoto can be very oblivious to her surroundings and stuff, including Kanji's supposed "crush". Man, the writers sure tried to work the pairing hard into the original P4 animation and Kanji's joke ending in Ultimax though.

but did it succeed? is the official canon pairing Naoto x Kanji OR NOT

P4mC is everyone's type? And he's the MC. So logically not only Kanami should have a crush on the MC, but everyone in the Kanamin Kitchen should also have a crush on the Yu.

I think the only Persona 4 game having characters not actually having a crush on Yu is in Arena. Even in PQ, there were tons of references of characters, not restricted to Rise, who is into Yu.

You think P4Dancing will be any different?

Persona 4: After
By Makoto Shinkai

1st week sales: x10 < Lost Dimension

Setsu00

but did it succeed? is the official canon pairing Naoto x Kanji OR NOT

P4mC is everyone's type? And he's the MC. So logically not only Kanami should have a crush on the MC, but everyone in the Kanamin Kitchen should also have a crush on the Yu.

I think the only Persona 4 game having characters not actually having a crush on Yu is in Arena. Even in PQ, there were tons of references of characters, not restricted to Rise, who is into Yu.

You think P4Dancing will be any different?

There are no canon couples in P4.

bonercop

Yeah that sounds about how I remember it. So she coulda been blushing just for falling down. I feel like there were some things you could interpret as reciprocation if you wanted to, but for the most part the idea is that Kanji had a crush on her.

In the original P4 she seemed actively dismissive of him, lol. We only seen her getting fed up with him sometimes at his flustered behavior and/or ignoring him.

CorvoSol

In the original P4 she seemed actively dismissive of him, lol. We only seen her getting fed up with him sometimes at his flustered behavior and/or ignoring him.

Makes sense. If I was her and had to put up with Kanji's weird behavior and Yosuke's jokes I'd probably be dismissive, too.

bonercop

Makes sense. If I was her and had to put up with Kanji's weird behavior and Yosuke's jokes I'd probably be dismissive, too.

Ah, but that's the thing -- she actually took mind of what Yosuke said. She would get upset when he teased her and she would engage him when he made a point during group discussion.

Poor Kanji just got ignored, always!

If we do see Tanaka then I think he needs to be further along in his career, maybe a talk show host.

I think Naoto could be a good cameo though. It would make sense her coming in and consulting on what's going on.

CorvoSol

So are we expecting a P4 cameo in P5 and if so, who?

You visit Gekkoukan High School and find out that Nozomi is principle after he ate the student body. He unleashes his Jabba the Hutt Persona and attacks you with Beef Bowls.

You visit Inaba and spend a bonus dungeon trapped in Mr. Morooka's grave, fighting zombies as you try to reach the UFO that came from Canada carrying your ambiguously gay party member who can't use Personas but instead fights with bottle rockets.

We finally get a P2 cameo but it's just Tadashi Satomi screaming into a paper bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom