• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamlet

This is neat. Big Hero 6/LOK crossover.

tumblr_ni01m30ZRc1snc3hzo1_500.png

tumblr_ni01m30ZRc1snc3hzo2_500.png

tumblr_ni01m30ZRc1snc3hzo3_500.png

Omikaru

I just saw the last page discussing me. You guys can be so judgemental at times :/

We do it out of love. :3

Nice to have you here, honestly.

BTW everyone, as you've seen Kinvara is helping out on the banner side of AvatarGAF. It will be a thing pretty soon. :)

Hamlet

We do it out of love. :3

Nice to have you here, honestly.

BTW everyone, as you've seen Kinvara is helping out on the banner side of AvatarGAF. It will be a thing pretty soon. :)
Nice.
I just saw the last page discussing me. You guys can be so judgemental at times :/

I always enjoy your input/thoughts on Korra even if I don't agree with them all the time Veelk.

Poor guy had his heart broken. He still had a better ending than Mako though.
I bet Mako is currently wishing he ran slower from Kuvira's laser. Or at the end just be like, "you know what Bolin, I think...I think I'mma just going to lie down here, don't rescue me." After getting zapped by that giant spirit ball thing.

I bet Mako is currently wishing he ran slower from Kuvira's laser. Or at the end just be like, "you know what Bolin, I think...I think I'mma just going to lie down here, don't rescue me." After getting zapped by that giant spirit ball thing.

Zaheer: Shame what happened to Unalaaq and Amon.

Kuvira: Yea, though it's better than rotting in prison for the rest of our lives.

Zaheer: Could be worse.

Kuvira: How?

Zaheer: We're not Mako.

Zaheer: Shame what happened to Unalaaq and Amon.

Kuvira: Yea, though it's better than rotting in prison for the rest of our lives.

Zaheer: Could be worse.

Kuvira: How?

Zaheer: We're not Mako.
Mako will forever be crushed under the weight of his massive L. I wonder what Faustino thinks about it. You just know spirit Zaheer is just meditating to the spirit world watch Korra and Asami and is just laughing his ass off at Mako. He probably even taught Kuvira how to do it.

I think that's the thing that will forever annoy me. Though, I should've seen it coming with all of those ominous musical cues whenever she was onscreen.
Yeah they didn't need to be that heavy handed with it. She went from sort of justified in her actions so straight up mustache twirling without a lot of provocation or build up. It just really pissed me off.

Kinvara

Who here has that fake leak of "evil" opal beifong? Need that pic in my life.

Yeah they didn't need to be that heavy handed with it. She went from sort of justified in her actions so straight up mustache twirling without a lot of provocation or build up. It just really pissed me off.

All of her actions seemed in line with her goals to me.

At what point did you think that she went into "mustache" mode?

Who here has that fake leak of "evil" opal beifong? Need that pic in my life.

All of her actions seemed in line with her goals to me.

At what point did you think that she went into "mustache" mode?
Nazi cannon and concentration camps. It was more the Nazi imagery than anything else to be honest since I never really felt they needed to go that route with her.

Kinvara

Nazi cannon and concentration camps. It was more the Nazi imagery than anything else to be honest since I never really felt they needed to go that route with her.

eh, she's a fascist. Hitler is the most well known example of that philosophy.

We never got to see the state of the camps themselves but I interpreted them as being analogous to Japanese-American internment of WWII. (Minorities being placed into prisons solely because they were assumed to be potential traitors due to their heritage.)

This doesn't excuse the action at all but there's a huge difference between a prison camp that's designed to simply keep people enclosed vs. one that built to literally execute as many people as possible.

Trey

eh, she's a fascist. Hitler is the most well known example of that philosophy.

We never got to see the state of the camps themselves but I interpreted them as being analogous to Japanese-American internment of WWII. (Minorities being placed into prisons solely because they were assumed to be potential traitors due to their heritage.)

This doesn't excuse the action at all but there's a huge difference between a prison camp that's designed to simply keep people enclosed vs. one that built to literally execute as many people as possible.

The problem is that those policies were pinned to her character, rather than being part of her character. All they did was serve to make her appear more "crazy", ergo, a more mustache-twirly villain.

It's superficial villain making that really has nothing to do with Kuvira, and it barely speaks to the kind of person she is. So its inclusion brings down her character.

The problem is that those policies were pinned to her character, rather than being part of her character. All they did was serve to make her appear more "crazy", ergo, a more mustache-twirly villain.

It's superficial villain making that really has nothing to do with Kuvira, and it barely speaks to the kind of person she is. So its inclusion brings down her character.
Trey gets it. Nothing in her narrative called for it. Instead of using Kuvira to tell Kuvira's story they just used her as an excuse for symbolism.

Kinvara

I don't think I quite understand what you're saying.

Those policies made sense for a leader that was obsessed with maintaining control and establishing dominance in their country. That's what Kuvira is all about.

Trey

Those policies made sense for a leader that was obsessed with maintaining control and establishing dominance in their country. That's what Kuvira is all about.

They don't make sense. It's never grounded in the show. We saw how Kuvira handled dissent in the first episode, which was fine. But suppressing an entire nation shouldn't be a background plot point. When you have technological dominance, why is sending dissenters to "re-education camps" necessary? Why even bring that up: is Kuvira any less driven without something so comically evil? This is never shown, because the writers had no intention of delving into a topic with such a lack of humanity, but they'll use it like a blunt object to show Kuvira "means business."

Kinvara

They don't make sense. It's never grounded in the show. We saw how Kuvira handled dissent in the first episode, which was fine. But suppressing an entire nation shouldn't be a background plot point. When you have technological dominance, why is sending dissenters to "re-education camps" necessary? Why even bring that up: is Kuvira any less driven without something so comically evil? This is never shown, because the writers had no intention of delving into a topic with such a lack of humanity, but they'll use it like a blunt object to show Kuvira "means business."

The US simultaneously developed the atomic bomb and put Japanese-Americans in internment camps.

What is the difference here with Kuvira?

None of it seemed rooted in her actual personality. Kuvira actually seemed like she can actually be a nice person. She never tried to intimidate Opal in the first ep, never tortured Suyin or her family...she could've but didn't. I always thought it was actually nice of her to imprison Su with her family. Anybody else would've separated them and cart their asses off to the 4 corners of the globe where they would either be mining salt in a gulag or just flat out tortured to death, especially for an assassination attempt. Kuvira cites growing up in Zaofu as a reason for wanting to share the technological wealth with the earth kingdom. Kuvira honestly just seems like an honor driven hard working individual that bit off more than she could chew. Some of the forced on policies with her just don't exactly jive with her. They seemed afraid to show her with a personality so they just kept her stoic so the audience would see her as a villain easier.
The US simultaneously developed the atomic bomb and put Japanese-Americans in internment camps.

What is the difference here with Kuvira?
This was because they also knew the Germans were working on it. It was quite literally an arms race. First one to that finish line won. Germany were also working on a stealth bomber design so they could nuke New York. Kuvira just did it to do it so she could have a big stick so she could intimidate the world with.

She didn't want her people to be taken advantage of, so she united them, gained a ton of power so they'd be strong, and removed anyone who wasn't a native Earth citizen and/or earthbender. It's a very general point that, while it makes sense, is never properly conveyed to make it believable.

I've said time and time again that the biggest issue with Kuvira is that we don't see the "jump" so to speak. At some point, she makes a pretty big leap, and we never see that leap. That comes at the cost of having a three year time skip. Her motives provide enough fuel so that the things she does make sense, we just don't see it because there wasn't a focus. Same with her psychological breakdown at the end. It is there, just not really conveyed all that well so her breaking down in front of Korra also seems out of nowhere.

It's the issue with Balance as a whole in that, every plot thread is a slow and/or subtle build up. Kuvira isn't an immediate threat, there's a three year time skip, Kuvira's breakdown is subtle, and Korrasami is...well, that's been overdone. The other three seasons do a significantly better job at having an immediate threat and a sense of urgency. You can feel the danger, but that's not the case in Book 4, which is precisely why I think it's the worst season. It feels too much like set up compared to the payoff we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom