• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with Nintendo and Hand bosses?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I suppose each and everyone of those bosses, before the fight, say the following.

"Well, well, well, it looks like it's the hand's job, here"

Neiteio

You have to hand it to them.
Byu5RAJ.gif

Remember folks, Nintendo games are digital!

I dig this kind of boss design, actually. By now it's recognizable and gives boss enemies context-by-design to wield various powers and tools designers can use to craft fights challenging players.

Neiteio

The villain in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse first appears as a pair of hands. I think that's the latest hand-nanigans from Nintendo.

These boss designers can't be blamed for the lack of imagination; their hands were tied! With smaller developmental teams, it's all hands on deck at crunch time. It's hard to give each boss a loving touch when you gotta crank them out.

Really makes you feel like you're fighting back against a greater power. Just think if you can beat God's hands you might be able to beat God himself!

Nbz

Its somewhat startling when you put all those images alongside each other. I mean I know Nintendo like Hand based bosses, but man, they REALLY like hand based bosses

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
They've been handled pretty well up to this point, when you've got a good grasp on something it's hard to palm off to any other developer.

I know I'm not the fist to post, but I just wanted to applaud this thread for not just being a load of claptrap.

Its somewhat startling when you put all those images alongside each other. I mean I know Nintendo like Hand based bosses, but man, they REALLY like hand based bosses

Well, two of them are Master Hand (the same character), another is the boss from Kirby SS that Master Hand is based off of (Boom Boom I think?), and another boss from Kirby meant to reference Master Hand.

Same with the Zelda ones. That big stone head from Wind Waker is meant to reference Bongo Bongo. I wouldn't doubt the one from Minish Cap was meant to reference the Wind Waker boss.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
They've been handled pretty well up to this point, when you've got a good grasp on something it's hard to palm off to any other developer.

I know I'm not the fist to post, but I just wanted to applaud this thread for not just being a load of claptrap.

My left hand just exploded for this post. It couldn't handle all those puns.

Granted, several old Japanese games also had hand bosses, but Nintendo still to this day seems to be particularly fond of either standalone hands, or disembodied head & hands.

(Great puns by the way.)

Some examples:

hands.png

Image source: iGoogle

Just be thankful the games aren't rated mature.....

Top Bottom