• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with Nintendo and Hand bosses?

They even payed Hasbro for this N64 exclusive.

Glover_Nintendo_64_cover_art,jpg.jpg
there's a playstation version and i think a pc version

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I thought of something clever, but I can't seem grab it..

EDIT: Hold up, I think I might have a grip on it!

As long as you don't make any backhanded comments about the other puns in the thread I'm sure we're all fine with what you can come up with.

Log4Girlz

Nintendo has had a hand in sculpting the digital age. They have a magic touch unmatched in gaming and I applaud them for not cracking under pressure and compromising their family friendly image. Some will point fingers and accuse them of being anachronistic in this day and age for not embracing competing consoles or going out on a limb for the mobile market, but those are short term cash grabs and those tactics are not sustainable.

Also they just really like appendages.

Granted, several old Japanese games also had hand bosses, but Nintendo still to this day seems to be particularly fond of either standalone hands, or disembodied head & hands.

(Great puns by the way.)

Some examples:

hands.png

Image source: iGoogle

Well, two of these are the same boss

You even get a "Smash" power from it.

Radnom

Serious answer is that it's easy to animate the hands and the head separately, especially in 2D games. With two hands and a head, you can fly the three sprites all around the screen and the brain fills in the 'arm' by itself. If you had arms, you would have to animate them in a whole lot of different positions to connect the hands and the head in all sorts of ways. Large sprites are incredibly difficult to animate fluidly, especially if they have a large range of motion. You also didn't have too much space for textures on those consoles. Most of the time only amazingly well animated games like Metal Slug even attempt to fully animate very large entities.

It translates to 3D pretty well as well, it gives a bit more freedom to the movement of the boss and takes away a large portion of the animation work.

It's similar to why you see a lot of round flying 'vehicle' bosses in platform games, because they can fly around the level and they don't need to animate much of the graphic, usually most of the attacks involve some kind of hatch opening up so they can drop something out the bottom.
nlJWqoz.png
super+mario+world+final+boss.gif

One work around is to use 'snake-like' appendages or connections that are made up of a bunch of round sprites, and then keep the chain of images between the two parts. It's very easy to procedurally draw a list of sprites between the two positions. You get this a lot in Contra games and side scrolling shooters for things like large robots or large creatures that have tentacles or appendages that could be anywhere on the screen.

For examples, see these snake monsters:
98392-first-samurai-snes-screenshot-boss-fights.png

this Gradius boss's curvy body:
Gradius_III_Stage_8_Boss_SNES.png

and whatever this thing is:
images

It's all about trying to find the easiest, cheapest way to animate something big, scary and cool, and still allow it to be diverse and interesting enough to be a good boss fight!

ASIS

This specific design is handy in creating unique mechanics, seriously I remember most of these encounters because of that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was just thinking about this and decided to search if there was a topic about it.

There's even more that haven't been posted yet, the couple at the top of my head:

maxresdefault.jpg

Stallord from Link's Crossbow Training.

hqdefault.jpg

Brobot L-Type from Super Paper Mario.

Top Bottom