• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft E3 Lineup - Rayman to be Wii launch title, first pic

Trurl

Banned
Mrbob said:
Uh oh, don't make this thread turn for the worse like the thread at IGNWII boards. Those Nintendo fans have already convinced themselves this Rayman 4 screenshot looks great, and nothing on Xbox comes close to it!
:lol Actually, I've been wise enough to shield my eyes from all 360 and PS3 screenshots. ;)

KINGMOKU

diewagglewandbastard.jpg

Yup, Methinks i'm turning in my jacket.

Taker666

I don't know why anyone is saying this couldn't be done on the cube or Xbox.

It looks no better than any current gen screens that Ubi release..not that I'm saying the Wii isn't capable of much more but to be honest what are you expecting from early gen multiformat ports? I suspect that the current engines for this game are more or less identical on the GC and Wii.

You may get a faster framerate and if you're lucky they will polish it up closer to launch if they have time and add a few higher res textures etc.

madara

Looks fine to me and I get feeling it will improve greatly as we see more pics and time gets nearer to launch. Not quite Wallguy material.

RSP

Leatherface said:
A little pre-mature to jump ship, do you think? At least wait for E3 to come and go.

premature? i've been waiting eversince the N64!!

but you are right, no jumping ship until I see some actual gameplay.

there is no excuse for this rayman game thing, simply horrible.

Tadaima

lancubap said:
Super Monkey Ball too, but we suppose it; Sega has said only that is in development, if I good remember.

Nah, they've said in an interview that it's on target for launch :)

lancubap

Krowley said:
IMO if you compare this to an xbox game with a similair art style, the first thing that comes to mind is psychonauts. The textures look better than psychonauts and it seems to have something like fur shading going on.

My expectations are definitly lower for revolution games in general, and this fits in with what i would expect from most games. It's definitly high end xbox quality based on those shots (like conker or ninja gaiden). It looks good, just not as good as 360 games.

This is a good resume of the situation I think. I hope that nobody here expected something like Gears of Wars........of course !

I think that the one of the best looking games of the first part of Wii's Life, will be Metroid Prime III. On THIS game we must judge what Wii could generate.
And remember that these are only the first images of the first games on Wii, and from Third Party Editors.

Taker666 said:
It looks no better than any current gen screens that Ubi release..not that I'm saying the Wii isn't capable of much more but to be honest what are you expecting from early gen multiformat ports? I suspect that the current engines for this game are more or less identical on the GC and Wii.

You may get a faster framerate and if you're lucky they will polish it up closer to launch if they have time and add a few higher res textures etc.

Exactly. Consider that they were using plain old Gamecubes early on as devkits. Then remember what early 360 media looked like, and that was from a much more powerful machine. And of course we've seen plenty of unimpressive ports to 360.

The best looking Wii games will look better than the best looking games of this gen, but there will definitely be games that look like they could easily be done on PS2/Cube, particularly in the first year.

Elios83

Taker666 said:
I don't know why anyone is saying this couldn't be done on the cube or Xbox.

Because there a lot of delusional fanboys.
Xbox?What we can see in this Rayman 4 screen is absolutely feasible on GC.There's nothing there that can't be done on it,low geometry,low texture resolution,standard lighting map based lighting,a bit of fur shading already seen in Star Fox Adventures.

eh, id be the last person to stick up for nintendo (well mebbe besides drinky)

but im pretty much banking on games looking like GC+

i have my 360 and (eventually) ps3 for next gen hot graffix.

actually im more interested in the virtual console / ps3 service/ live markplace & arcade interfaces & ideas this gen then the actual hardwares anymore.

GhaleonEB

Cheers to those doing their best at damage control in this thread. You've got your work cut out for you and I don't envy your job.

And here I was doubting the existence of God this morning. But he's gotta exist - this is a gift, from Him to NeoGAF. :lol

GhaleonEB

Great Rumbler said:
Third-party games not looking that good?! What is this madness?!
This is Ubisoft. One of the best 3rd parties out there.

But subtract the screenshot for a minute. Spin the kids playing the game and the spazzrabbit logo. It should be fun.

Batongen

Banned
No damage control here but I am actually more interested in seeing what the kid is so "shocked" about. Is it the punk girl/guy(?) or is it the gameplay. Bunnies FTW :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
IMO if you compare this to an xbox game with a similair art style, the first thing that comes to mind is psychonauts. The textures look better than psychonauts and it seems to have something like fur shading going on.
Psychonauts used a whole lot of awesome shader effects, though. Conker used even more (and looks a bit more detailed than this shot here).

This game looks fine, though, and it's a new Ancel directed Rayman!!! I can't wait!

Krowley

The people that are saying this game looks like ass are going to be in for a rude awakening at e3... there will probably be plenty of revolution games that look much worse and only a few that look better. Your expectations where too high if you think this looks bad. something like spongebob will probably make it look brilliant in comparison.

The Hermit

Ho man, ok let me breath....

This pic is just TOO great, it looks almost made on purpose ...Imean we have the punk girl, the shitface kid, the grandpa, the shitface kid, the gcn quality pic and, off course, THE SHITFACE KID!!!!

If someone at Ubisoft made this pic ONLY to see Gaf's reaction I have no doubt he must be rolling on the floor while having a whole bottle of lmaonade...

Krowley said:
The people that are saying this game looks like ass are going to be in for a rude awakening at e3... there will probably be plenty of revolution games that look much worse and only a few that look better.

Well if that Red Steel game was real time then there's 1 game that's already way ahead of this game.

Taking that high resolution screen, doing a nearest neighbor resize down to 640x480 (anything higher quality would probably give it an unrealistic anti-aliasing advantage), and then doing a smoother stretch out to 852x480, here's something that's a bit closer to anamorphic 480p reality. Though the game image rendered should look cleaner than my shittily-downsized version.
20060503rayman852480.jpg

Krowley

dark10x said:
Psychonauts used a whole lot of awesome shader effects, though. Conker used even more (and looks a bit more detailed than this shot here).

This game looks fine, though, and it's a new Ancel directed Rayman!!! I can't wait!

I've never played a rayman game since trying one of the early pc versions at a friends house years ago but the gameplay here sounds pretty interesting.

On the graphics i agree with your basic assessment. It looks like a fairly high end xbox game.. maybe not as good as conker, but it's in that catagory. We need more screenshots that showcase the environments before i would pass my final judgement though... it could be much worse than i think or maybe a little better.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Amir0x said:
Sorry, Mama Smurf, commentary on graphics is what happens in threads with screenshots. Wii is not exempt.

I dealt with the fact that Wii will be barely better than Xbox, but that doesn't change Rayman Rabbid Rabits from being ugly last-gen shit! Sorry dude :(

I was talking to people like moke. If you (moke and his ilk again) want to have a go at the graphics in the screens, fine. But if you're still caught up on the system graphics, to the point where you're now furious at Nintendo, like we haven't known about this for months...time to get over it or move on.

If he'd just said "looks like shit" like others have, I'd have shrugged. It was the crazy, rabid go at the system which struck me as pretty lame, like he'd been refusing to believe what we've been hearing, unless he's been missing for months and only just found out or something anyway.

I'm still a bit confused. This IS or IS NOT Rayman 4? And if so, how are people even reacting to its graphical prowess or lack thereof since it is coming to the other consoles, is it not?

Zerodoppler said:
Did you not see the N64-looking screens?

Of what? Red Steel? All i've seen are those screens that caused that big thread, and it didn't look anything like a N64 game. Unless there have been new screens.

Wow. One screenshot (which looks pretty nice, by the way), and everyone already knows the absolute ceiling of the Wii's rendering capabilities. We sure is smart.

Krowley

SolidSnakex said:
Well if that Red Steel game was real time then there's 1 game that's already way ahead of this game.

yeah red steel looks slightly next gen... a little beyond the xbox1... this looks like high end xbox1.. I expect most of nintendo's own games (mario, metroid and stuff like that) to look as good as red steel, and most of the shovelware (like spongebob) to look VERY BAD. This game is probably somewhere in between.

edit: later in revolution's lifespan, the ratio will probably improve, but i'm speaking just of launch titles and things that will be shown at e3

SolidSnakex said:
Of what? Red Steel? All i've seen are those screens that caused that big thread, and it didn't look anything like a N64 game. Unless there have been new screens.

A couple of the screens in the magazine basically looked like Perfect Dark. The rest of the screens were probably mock-ups.

Zerodoppler said:
A couple of the screens in the magazine basically looked like Perfect Dark. The rest of the screens were probably mock-ups.

How do you know (2nd part)?

I think this game looks fun by the way. Like...FUN. You know, something I would want to pick up and play because there's all sorts of crazy things going on.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Zerodoppler said:

Alright, we're going a bit off topic, but let's stop the N64 comparisons before they take off:

pdshota64.jpg

31-2.jpg

perfect_dark_004.jpg

Xristot

Zerodoppler said:

Those were the corner screens of the scans and where highly stretched. Rule of thumb is, when you can count the pixels, something is wrong. Those were not a representation of how Redsteel looked, especially at the size they were shown at.

Row

Banned
Alright nintendrones why don't you give it a rest. You're turning this hilarious thread into a depressing one with your sad state of denial and constant damage control

Gawaian

Zerodoppler said:
Oh god, my sarcasm detector just broke. Anihawk, is that you?

Top Bottom