• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Fall Invasion: 60FPS trailer + tidbit about NA release

L~A

Nintendo just uploaded a new trailer for Iron Fall : Invasion, coming out this Friday in Europe. It's in 60fps!

YouTube

There's also a developer interview!

YouTube

Pricing:

For those that opt to buy there'll be three purchasing options, however. The Campaign and Multiplayer modes will be purchasable separately, costing £8.88 / €9.99 per mode, or they can be picked up for £17.98 / €19.98 together. Those that buy one mode will receive the 'HR' pistol (for multiplayer) as an extra, while buying both modes together comes with the pistol and a music Jukebox that can be used in the game.

As for the content on offer in each mode, a Nintendo press release gives the following details:

IRONFALL Invasion: Campaign features 11 action-packed single-player levels, as well as 78 additional challenges that are unlocked as you progress through your overall mission to liberate Earth.
IRONFALL Invasion: Multiplayer allows for up to six players to face-off in local and online multiplayer scenarios, with 6 different arenas, classic modes from "3 vs. 3" to "free-for-all", and even the ability to bet in-game credits, which are tied to a player's XP and rank, on your chances of winning a match. On top of this, a Survivor mode gives you the chance to train solo and hone your skills against CPU-controlled opponents within a variety of time-based scenarios.

Source

B9ejYMUCcAADqMP.png:large

And for those wondering when the game is coming out in NA:

Small French team so #ironfall is out in EU first with NOE's help. Full focus now on North America, won't take long, maybe end February! Thx

Source

This looks ridiculously good for a 3DS game.
I'm hoping for some "Rouge Trooper"-like action.
The new C stick will come in handy for this.

Alienous

I expected they were all younger.

Don't these guys have families to get back to? What the hell are they playing around with assembly language for?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like how a small french team can bring the game to the US but it's apparently impossible for Renegade Kid to get Moon Chronicles out in EU.

Anyway, this looks absolutely fantastic, doubly so considering the 3DS hardware, all that detail and action at 60 FPS is amazing as hell.

Litri

As usual it will look ten times better on my new 3DS screen.

While the art is in general too generic I will buy it for the multiplayer alone.

It's great to see a team made up of three persons taking on such a endeavor
and they deserve some praise for it.

They could be the next Shinen.

Mit-

To the amazement of many I actually think Metroid Prime Hunters had some of the best control in FPS history and think that our wrists have a lot more control over fine tuning with a pen than we do a fat mouse or that our thumbs have with joysticks.

That said I'm actually quite interested in this.

Lucifon

This game doesn't look great at all. I'm sorry but if this was coming out on iPhone or something (which it looks like a mobile game) noone would care. Imagine watching that trailer but thinking the game was a mobile game, the perception would be very different.

L~A

Ah, finally... the pricing:

For those that opt to buy there'll be three purchasing options, however. The Campaign and Multiplayer modes will be purchasable separately, costing £8.88 / €9.99 per mode, or they can be picked up for £17.98 / €19.98 together. Those that buy one mode will receive the 'HR' pistol (for multiplayer) as an extra, while buying both modes together comes with the pistol and a music Jukebox that can be used in the game.

As for the content on offer in each mode, a Nintendo press release gives the following details:

IRONFALL Invasion: Campaign features 11 action-packed single-player levels, as well as 78 additional challenges that are unlocked as you progress through your overall mission to liberate Earth.
IRONFALL Invasion: Multiplayer allows for up to six players to face-off in local and online multiplayer scenarios, with 6 different arenas, classic modes from "3 vs. 3" to "free-for-all", and even the ability to bet in-game credits, which are tied to a player's XP and rank, on your chances of winning a match. On top of this, a Survivor mode gives you the chance to train solo and hone your skills against CPU-controlled opponents within a variety of time-based scenarios.

According to an interview with the developer, the campagin will last for about 8 hours.
This is major value for a download game, even if it looks a bit generic.
Unbelievable that the game was made by a team of three people.

Celine

... VDDev predates Shin'en.

This game doesn't look great at all. I'm sorry but if this was coming out on iPhone or something (which it looks like a mobile game) noone would care. Imagine watching that trailer but thinking the game was a mobile game, the perception would be very different.
The perception is based on the hardware it runs on that's obvious.
For example V-Rally 3 by the same dev team is still impressive to this day despite (actually because) running on GBA.

hoserx

As usual it will look ten times better on my new 3DS screen.

While the art is in general too generic I will buy it for the multiplayer alone.

It's great to see a team made up of three persons taking on such a endeavor
and they deserve some praise for it.

If you look at their twitter, the only people they follow are Shin'en. haha.

Lucifon

... VDDev predates Shin'en.

The perception is based on the hardware it runs on that's obvious.
For example V-Rally 3 by the same dev team is still impressive to this day despite (actually because) running on GBA.

I agree, but it doesn't make a game good. Obviously until we're able to play IronFall I won't pass judgement. But just based on the trailer alone I thought it looked incredibly generic and dull. I want it to be good!

Putosaure

9.99€ for one mode, 19.98€ for both... that's what you call a special offer !

I agree, but it doesn't make a game good. Obviously until we're able to play IronFall I won't pass judgement. But just based on the trailer alone I thought it looked incredibly generic and dull. I want it to be good!

Reminds me how generic was Shadowgun on mobile.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I like how a small french team can bring the game to the US but it's apparently impossible for Renegade Kid to get Moon Chronicles out in EU.

Releasing games in NA is way easier that releasing in PAL-land and lots of EU devs end up launching their games in NA first for this very reason.

That's not to say it's hard to release in PAL-land, necessarily, but if you don't like or aren't good at dealing with all the administrative nonsense it's a real pain in the arse, and a lot of games simply can't justify or expect to recoup the cost.

Will buy both parts. This is a game I think that'll work better with a circle pad pro than the new c-stick.

Interested in how touch screen aiming works as you would normally have only access to the left shoulder button comfortably.

The Giant

Banned
I just checked their website. Man they made some great looking handheld games for ds, gba and gbc.

Also notice they have a Wii U logo at the bottom of the page.

Lucifon

Here's a chart showing what you get with all 3 options:

Great that there's a free version :) As I said above, I think the game 'looks' super generic and dull. But I really want a fun shooter on the platform, so will definitely give a free version a shot.

Celine

Yes, I was talking merely from a technical point of view (V-Rally 3 for GBA is also a good game though).
It looks generic but also there is a distinctive lack of this kind of games on 3DS so it's a welcome addition at least.

Celine

I just checked their website. Man they made some great looking handheld games for ds, gba and gbc.

Also notice they have a Wii U logo at the bottom of the page.
V-Rally (GB), Wacky Races (GBC), V-Rally 3 (GBA) and C.O.P. The Recriut (NDS) are among the best looking games on the those respective Nintendo handhelds.
VDDev has a long history to push Nintendo handheld to the max.
The news here is that this is their first game to be self-published so whatever support it gets it goes (mostly) toward them and their next projects.

BTW I would like a new rally game from them using their amazing engine.

Jaagen

Will be checking out the free version and if I like it, I'll probably get the full version when I buy a new 3DS later this spring.

Doczu

Nice. I have been waiting for this release since they shown the first tech demo. Looks great (although a bit generic, but fuck that), and it has a chance to become a great competitive multiplayer game. Sadly it comes when Majora's Mask launches and all my gaming budget is sadly empty for the rest of the month :(

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Releasing games in NA is way easier that releasing in PAL-land and lots of EU devs end up launching their games in NA first for this very reason.

That's not to say it's hard to release in PAL-land, necessarily, but if you don't like or aren't good at dealing with all the administrative nonsense it's a real pain in the arse, and a lot of games simply can't justify or expect to recoup the cost.

But Renegade Kid have other titles released here already :(. But I guess this isn't the thread for that discussion :p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am glad it will be launched near the end of the month in the US, since i'll have money to buy it by then after spending on MH4 and Majora's Mask this friday.

@MUWANdo

Banned
But Renegade Kid have other titles released here already :(. But I guess this isn't the thread for that discussion :p

Probably not, but here are a few points that might help explain why Renegade Kid's other games haven't yet been released in EU:

-Renegade Kid has been struggling for money as of late, so they don't really have the time or cash to spare on getting the PAL train a-rollin'. One of the big factors behind the surprise announcement and quick release of Xeodrifter was that they absolutely needed to bring in some money by the end of the year, so they put one of their other projects on hold while they bashed out something smaller. (They announced another Mutant Mudds game not too long ago; I suspect that was another project borne of necessity.)

-Mutant Mudds is far and away their most successful game, and while we don't know how well any of them sold in real terms, I get the impression that they haven't done as well as RK had expected or hoped. It also sounds like the success of Mutant Mudds was a bit of a fluke, as none of the subsequent rereleases have done nearly as well as the initial 3DS release.

-This is purely anecdotal, but I've spoken to a few 3DS eShop devs who've released in both NA/PAL regions (and in some cases, JP too) and the sales split isn't as even as you might assume--they all gave me a roughly 2:1 ratio between NA and PAL sales, and for the devs that also managed to release in Japan, the percentage split hovered over 40% for NA and JP and around 15% for PAL.

tl;dr: PAL releases are relatively costly and time-consuming, especially for non-EU devs, and don't necessarily bring in a huge return, so if a dev doesn't expect a game to sell very well and doesn't have the time or inclination to deal with the paperwork, it might simply be not worth the hassle.

I'm interested in trying it, but I won't have a n3ds until Nintendo releases the smaller one here and after having put so many hours into Gears a few years ago, I'm not so sure I can enjoy what looks to be a much clunkier, more poorly designed form of Gears. I may give it a shot down the road, but hopefully the mp community will still be alive by then.

Alchemy

This is seriously the most confusing game to me. Gears of War on the 3DS... is a weird combo. Visuals are outstanding for the platform though.

beril

I have a lot of respect for Renegade Kid, but I just don't get how or why they are so bad at releasing stuff in Europe. Getting the ratings only take a few weeks and the extra costs really aren't that high. I can maybe understand skipping Australia, but I just don't understand how you can motivate not releasing your game in Europe, or how it can take so long. Doing a simultaneous release was kindof a pain though

Luigiv

I have a lot of respect for Renegade Kid, but I just don't get how or why they are so bad at releasing stuff in Europe. Getting the ratings only take a few weeks and the extra costs really aren't that high. I can maybe understand skipping Australia, but I just don't understand how you can motivate not releasing your game in Europe, or how it can take so long. Doing a simultaneous release was kindof a pain though

What?! Beril, you monster!
But seriously, thanks for supporting the Australian region.

Top Bottom