• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Forge for Windows 10 released

The Forge community has long requested the ability to build levels on the PC. Along with Anvil’s Legacy, we are finally bringing the Forge toolset to Windows 10 PCs with the release of Halo 5: Forge. The precision, speed and control available on PC using keyboard and mouse will make it easier than ever for creators to bring their Halo vision to life. All content created with Halo 5: Forge on Win10 PC will be shared with the Xbox One community and vice versa. Creators will be able to build, shape and play their content on either platform through their file share.

In addition to the core suite of builder tools being made available through Halo 5: Forge, we’ll also be allowing players to play custom Arena multiplayer games on Windows 10 and making available all of the existing Halo 5 Arena maps. Players will be able to set up custom matches with friends over Xbox Live to play and test their creations on the PC before sharing them with the world.

Best of all, Halo 5: Forge is a free offering
. Anyone with a Windows 10 PC that meets the minimum requirements (which includes having Windows 10 Anniversary Update, get it here) for the game can download the client and join the community, building and playing within the Halo 5 ecosystem.

Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/09/08/a-whole-new-world-halo-5-guardians-begins-now/#PAMKbcFPIzrPSfqY.99

Official Halo 5 Forge OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157981
Gameplay Videos: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1271199

Looking for a group?
Gamertag Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275774
Halo LFG: http://www.halolfg.com/

System Requirements
h5forge-recommended-spec-sheet-9-1-a92f542e94ab4cd081b26840d3c6789a.jpg

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-5-forge-system-requirements

The game requires you have the Anniversary Update installed, although since the Anniversary Update is still rolling out if you don't have it you may have to force it using one of these guides Windows Blog, Windows Central, Thurrott, Redmond Pie

Download
Just search it in the Windows Store... or alternatively if that doesn't work,
Yep you need to get it from the bundle here:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9nblggh4v0fr

Miker

It's legit. Quoting myself from the other thread:

Played some games with @jediyoshi and it absolutely works as advertised. It's Halo 5's custom games multiplayer, on Windows 10. I had to add friends via the Xbox app because lol, but then inviting them to my party in Halo was very simple, and he didn't have any problems joining. From there, I picked a map and gametype, and we were playing. Besides the initial hurdle of adding friends in another app, it was shockingly painless.

I was pulling a locked 4K/60fps on a 3570k@4.4/1070/8GB and I don't really anticipate anybody really needing the absurd processor and RAM requirements from the MS spec sheet. Then again, it was normal slayer on a stock map with 3 people, so maybe if you had a full BTB going on your crazy Forge Blood Gulch map, things might be different.

As for how it plays, I actually found it way more difficult to adjust to m+kb than I anticipated. I grew up playing UT/Quake as a rocket launcher guy, so I'm not great with realistic shooters on PC, and I'm kind of bad at hitscan weapons in general on the platform. Even as a PC gamer first and foremost, I could not hit jack shit with the pistol. I think people may underestimate the impact of aim assist and bullet magnetism on consoles, and maybe overestimate the general skill of the average m/kb player. This is probably especially true when it comes to Halo's emphasis on the pistol, i.e. a single-shot weapon with a longer TTK, as opposed to turning 180 w/ an AR and downing a guy with a quick burst.

Without any sort of aim assist, I found it legitimately difficult to keep a bead on a moving target, and my accuracy suffered for it. I'm decent, not great at Halo 5 - I have a 52% accuracy w/ the magnum over 1130 kills in Halo 5 Xbone w/ 854 headshots, and I think I probably hit maybe 30% of my shots, and I really struggled to get that last headshot after depleting shields. It wasn't too far from the magnum scene in Pulp Fiction, honestly. I'm sure I'd be better with, say, a rocket launcher and shotty on PC, but the pistol - the best weapon in the Halo 5 arsenal - is a nonstarter for me on PC without more practice. Playing with the controller re-enables aim assist and bullet magnetism, btw.

The mouse controls themselves are beyond reproach. Options to disable acceleration, options for raw input, and 0.1 increments in sensitivity. It's legit great. Beyond that, thruster on caps lock feels super weird, and putting it on shift and sprint on caps lock feels even weirder. I did feel somewhat hamstrung by only being able to thrust in 8 directions, but it's not a big deal in practice. With somewhat awkward placement of the binding, though, I did have to remind myself that it was there. You can't bind anything to left alt, which is a bummer, because I would've put sprint on there instead.

Anyway, aside from my own personal musings on controls, it's a fantastic port of the best console shooter available at the moment. For anybody who knows about the product and has reasonable expectations of the game and its console origins, I can't see how anybody would be disappointed with what Microsoft is literally giving away for free.

Anybody who wants to play should add my gamertag (who came up with that awful word) Mikerrrrr, and join our Discord channel too.

Hikami

Playing Halo with a mouse feels so weird.

The good kind of weird. Gonna have to get used to the game before I jump into custom games with people. Haven't played Halo 5 before and it's been almost 4 years since I played Halo 4.

Noobcraft

Lololol downloading this to my Surface Pro 3 despite not being anywhere near min spec. Get rekt windows store.

I just want to see if it will run period lol.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Downloading now.
Fixed.

While I personally feel you exhibit exquisite taste, statistically you are incorrect. While we eased back on their dudebroness after the beta, the overwhelming consensus since launch has been that dudebroness, antics and fancydancing would be welcome additions.

No plans at this time however.

More details on that soon.

I'm guessing tomorrow night's weekly blog

While I personally feel you exhibit exquisite taste, statistically you are incorrect. While we eased back on their dudebroness after the beta, the overwhelming consensus since launch has been that dudebroness, antics and fancydancing would be welcome additions.

No plans at this time however.

Months ago I suggested an emote button, so I could twerk on opponents.

You said it was a good idea.

pls

bones123

Is it just me, or is the pop-in on this really really bad? I downloaded the map Toilet since I remembered it from Halo 3, but holy shit just turning around in the bowl, I could literally watch the blocks load in every time I turned my head.

All right I have the Halo App installed, now I'm downloading Halo 5 Forge for PC later I will download the update on Halo 5: Guardians

Top Bottom