• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“The GAF Collection” – Weekend Photoshop Thread

MYE

I kinda liked the hand on window shop i made for the back of my other SM boxart so i changed it a bit and made a new one.

2rmkw95.jpg

[/URL] (the date on the spine is fixed)

EDIT:Updated

That hi-res version is something else. The color of the banner is a great compliment though I would have been tempted to make it a little bit of a lighter blue shade.

This is fun! :lol

UltimaPooh said:
Can you give us some links to printable versions?

I might print some out in the coming week.

Sorry, haven't checked the thread in a while. There's a link to download all the printable ones on the last page.

Click Here to download them.

I think somehow they got converted to 72 dpi, but they are still the same size (FedEX had scaling it). I'll post the correct dpi ones tomorrow if you don't mind waiting longer. :lol

afternoon delight said:
Kilgore, any chance of re-uploading those templates? It says I'm getting an error trying to connect with them...

Are you still having problems?

It looks like you got them to work, because of the awesomeness you posted.

Can't wait to print it.

MYE said:
I kinda liked the hand on window shop i made for the back of my other SM boxart so i changed it a bit and made a new one.

[IMasdfG]http://i26.tinypic.com/2h7owax.jpg[/IMG]

High-Rez version (the date on the spine is fixed)

Very good. I like the first one you posted better, because of contrast reasons. I assume that image wasn't high enough resolution for it to print. :(

No Helvetica Neue, or Arial?

UrbanRats

afternoon delight said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/676971/silenthill2-GAFC-preview.jpg[/*IMG]

It's hard to tell from the preview image, but there is grain that accompanies the black space on the back and side banner. And those lines on the side of the GAF collection? Artifacts from compressed jpeg and size.

This is my first one of these so bare with me on the concept / execution of it.

Here it is in [URL="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/676971/silenthill2-GAFC.png"]full size[/URL].[/QUOTE]
I love it, but may i suggest that, on the back, you just write up the incipit from mary's letter? (the one from the start), just this:
[QUOTE]In my restless dreams,
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me
there again someday.
But you never did.

Well I'm alone there now...
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you. [/QUOTE]

@MYE: I loved you first version better :P

MYE

I'm using a very crappy monitor. Its really hard for me to control the contrasts of the colors :(
Once i get home i'l see the mess i made :lol

Anyway, first one in high-rez

I love it, but may i suggest that, on the back, you just write up the incipit from mary's letter? (the one from the start)
Didn't even THINK of that. Great idea.

Are you still having problems?
It looks like you got them to work, because of the awesomeness you posted.
No, I just took the long route and made separate layers from your BADASS features. The Red Dead Redemption cover and many others are a different breed of awesome.

silenthill2-GAFC-preview-two.jpg

Version Two with alternate text on the back. Hi-rez
I was tempted to scratch up and in other ways mark the text, but I don't think it would have served anything. The text is great on its own merits.

jergrah

Great work by all -- and thanks for the link Killgore, unfortunately -- whether I use IE or FF and disable pop-up blockers I just keep getting
Invalid or Deleted File
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
Click here to view our help resources

jergrah said:
Great work by all -- and thanks for the link Killgore, unfortunately -- whether I use IE or FF and disable pop-up blockers I just keep getting
Invalid or Deleted File
The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire.
Click here to view our help resources

Ah shit. Someone flagged the file for copyrighted content. :lol

Don't know who would do that. :/
Most of my work is original. The images I did use I altered enough to not fall in copyright boundaries anymore.

I'll post them again tomorrow, because I don't have internet at my house right now, and don't have my laptop with me at work.

MYE said:
I'm using a very crappy monitor. Its really hard for me to control the contrasts of the colors :(
Once i get home i'l see the mess i made :lol

Anyway, first one in high-rez

Gracias.

I'll post pictures of Rabbitwork's, afternoon delight's, and your work when I get them printed out.

MYE

Wow, the back of the cover on the second one is way too bright.
The gradient blended perfectly with the spine of the cover on the other screen :(

POS monitor >:[

Might also start a GAF Collection website and everyone's printable covers would be able to be downloaded from there.

Probably wouldn't build the backend for it yet, and all the work would have to come through me. In the future, it would allow for uploading of covers.

UrbanRats

KilgoreTrout said:
Might also start a GAF Collection website and everyone's printable covers would be able to be downloaded from there.

Probably wouldn't build the backend for it yet, and all the work would have to come through me. In the future, it would allow for uploading of covers.
That would be ACE.
it would be cool to have a tutorial section also: what paper to use, where to find it(online stores, US/EU, etc) where to buy good quality shells for the covers and whatnot.

UrbanRats said:
That would be ACE.
it would be cool to have a tutorial section also: what paper to use, where to find it(online stores, US/EU, etc) where to buy good quality shells for the covers and whatnot.
Aw yes! Good ideas! I'm gonna do it! Probably won't be done for another month, because of other stuff I'm working on.

Might need some help from Euros gathering printing store and case info.

dark_chris

Thanks Kilgore for the template. I love it!

Its silly but I made one for Netflix. lol.
GAFCollectionNormalTemplateNetflix.jpg

And I remade one for Railfan for the PS3. I shot this photo.
GAFCollectionNormalTemplateRailfan2.jpg

And I made an alternate cover for the above mentioned game. Doesn't quite cut it for me, but least I tried. I also shot the pic.
GAFCollectionNormalTemplateRailfan.jpg

I think I'll be making one for Limbo. I've kinda tried to stay away from doing them for downloadable games, but it looks too fucking awesome.

This might open up the door for PixelJunk games too. :lol

Thanks for everyone's comments on Alan Wake. You guys are too nice.

Kinda bummed no one has really done anything in a month.

I don't think I've done one with a photo yet... Not sure if I like it, but whatever.
I was going to cheesily illustrate an 80s like cover for this, but I don't have the time so someone else should do it!

You should download the hi-res printable version here.

Alucrid said:
What type of paper is best for these to be printed on?

I typically just go down to FedEx, and have them print the cheapest color option. It's like a buck here. They turn out pretty nice.

You don't want thick photo paper, because when it bends it looks terrible.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
dark_chris said:
And I remade one for Railfan for the PS3. I shot this photo.
GAFCollectionNormalTemplateRailfan2.jpg

Awesome job on this stuff man but Kyoto and Osaka are two different cities.
Unless this typo is also on the original box art and you are just copying that, in which case you can just ignore me.

Alucrid

Banned
KilgoreTrout said:
I typically just go down to FedEx, and have them print the cheapest color option. It's like a buck here. They turn out pretty nice.

You don't want thick photo paper, because when it bends it looks terrible.

Thanks, I'll probably go ahead and do that then for the few games I have that have covers in this thread. Really love the RDR one man. I think I might try my hand at this, especially for the games that haven't had covers.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There's a lot of great work in here, but if I may make a nitpicky suggestion about the template. It says "...publishing covers that give games justice" and it really should be "...publishing covers that do games justice" or that "give games respect" or something. "To give justice" doesn't seem like the correct phrase for this context. You "give" people justice. You "do" justice to a thing.

(I'm American, so if this is a UK English or Australian English thing, forgive my ignorance.)

Maybe this has already been addressed in the thread. Sorry if it has.

Keep up the good work!

Jonnyram said:
Would have made a good Monster Hunter sleeve, but doesn't seem to capture the spirit of MW2...
You know those dudes who don't move an inch while hiding behind some obscure ass piece of cover?

Campers... ?

:(

hey_it's_that_dog said:
There's a lot of great work in here, but if I may make a nitpicky suggestion about the template. It says "...publishing covers that give games justice" and it really should be "...publishing covers that do games justice" or that "give games respect" or something. "To give justice" doesn't seem like the correct phrase for this context. You "give" people justice. You "do" justice to a thing.

(I'm American, so if this is a UK English or Australian English thing, forgive my ignorance.)

Maybe this has already been addressed in the thread. Sorry if it has.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the suggestion. I get what you're saying, but still thinks it reads funny both ways. If you, or anyone is a kick ass writer who wants to rewrite that whole blurb, go for it.

Oh, website coming sometime next week. :)

KilgoreTrout said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I get what you're saying, but still thinks it reads funny both ways. If you, or anyone is a kick ass writer who wants to rewrite that whole blurb, go for it.

Oh, website coming sometime next week. :)

"The GAF Collection is a collaborative project honoring the finest games in the world with unique cover art that does them justice."

Or something. I like the first half, not sure about the second.

Top Bottom