• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

¡Vamos a aprender español!- Let's Learn Spanish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cess007

For new language learners comic strips are amazing.

When i was learning English, my teacher told me comics and videogames were good methods to learn any language, as the words and their meaning can be learn while visualizing items and you can read at your own pace.

Stuff like Asterix has been translated in many languages including Spanish.

I totally recommend this. First, because Asterix is fukin amazing; second, the language used in the translation is very good.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Comics are a great suggestion. Asterix and Tintin are both solid recommendations. Súperlopez es also a terrific pick if you are interested in learning a little bit of casual slang from Spain.

SQhkLNF.jpg
So, so good.

Two Words

I feel like faltar and poner are a couple of verbs that have a lot of meanings that I don't quite understand. Can somebody give me some examples of different ways they can be used?Right now, I only really understand them as faltar is to miss and poner is to put.

I feel like faltar and poner are a couple of verbs that have a lot of meanings that I don't quite understand. Can somebody give me some examples of different ways they can be used?Right now, I only really understand them as faltar is to miss and poner is to put.

Word reference is probably the best source for weird usages that aren't intuitive for english speakers. They also have a great forum you can ask questions if you stumble upon a usage you don't understand

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=faltar

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=poner

faltar is pretty normal. Poner has some weird usages like to become/fix attention/start something or get dressed though if you have a loose definition of "put" it makes sense. But if your learning a language its best to not try to translate.

To be honest you just learn these things by exposure. I was never taught a lot of unintuitive usages of verbs in school but I'd learn them from reading the newspaper.

Two Words

Word reference is probably the best source for weird usages that aren't intuitive for english speakers. They also have a great forum you can ask questions if you stumble upon a usage you don't understand

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=faltar

http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=poner

faltar is pretty normal. Poner has some weird usages like to fix attention or get dressed though if you have a loose definition of "put" it makes sense. But if your learning a language its best to not try to translate.

To be honest you just learn these things by exposure. I was never taught a lot of unintuitive usages of verbs in school but I'd learn them from reading the newspaper.

Thanks, I'll check out the site. The hardest part of learning for me has been learning what does and doesn't directly translate. For example. If a customer asked me if we have a certain product line that we don't carry anymore, I might think of saying "Ya no lo llevamos". But I'm not sure if that really works.

v1lla21

Thanks, I'll check out the site. The hardest part of learning for me has been learning what does and doesn't directly translate. For example. If a customer asked me if we have a certain product line that we don't carry anymore, I might think of saying "Ya no lo llevamos". But I'm not sure if that really works.
You could say, " ya no lo tenemos" which is we don't have it anymore, or you could say, "ya no está disponible." it is not available anymore.

it wouldn't translate directly

You'd just say "ya no tenemos esa marca/linea" or vendemos

but word reference helps with that

http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=carry

look down to the "stock" usage

Two Words

You could say, " ya no lo tenemos" which is we don't have it anymore, or you could say, "ya no está disponible." it is not available anymore.

Yeah, I didn't want to use tener, since that may make it sound like we just don't have it right now anymore. Saying it isn't available anymore works. Out of curiosity, what does "Ya no lo llevamos" translate to? How would you interpret that if you assumed the person saying it knew Spanish well.

Yeah, I didn't want to use tener, since that may make it sound like we just don't have it right now anymore. Saying it isn't available anymore works. Out of curiosity, what does "Ya no lo llevamos" translate to? How would you interpret that if you assumed the person saying it knew Spanish well.

disponible would be more "its not in stock"

Tener would get across the fact its not something you carry.

Astral Dog

We dont carry that? kind of.

Two Words

disponible would be more "its not in stock"

Tener would get across the fact its not something you carry.

It's "we didn't bring it anymore" or "we aren't taking it anymore" depending the situation.

We dont carry that? kind of.

I see. I wonder if that site has good practice for prepositions. It's one of the areas that feels the most inconsistent and each word feels to have its own special usage of a preposition.

I see. I wonder if that site has good practice for prepositions. It's one of the areas that feels the most inconsistent and each word feels to have its own special usage of a preposition.

you're not going to learn on a site tbh. you learn by listening and reading in the language and being corrected.

If you want to be more than a dictionary you really need to actual converse and produce works at the same time as consuming native works.

This is something that's really frustrating because its not easy and even when you think you know a lot you're gonna find so many mistakes.

janoDX

Spanish is a complex language just because of the accent ( ´ ) a word can change the entire meaning with one.

'De' it's a preposition... 'Dé' is a verb of 'dar' (give).

To learn spanish, you need to write, read A LOT, talk, be corrected, that's common for every language you wanna learn. To the read part, start with lots of comics or even play videogames in spanish, when I was 7 I learned english by playing full games on that language and I had to learn the words so I could advance on them.

Spanish is a complex language just because of the accent ( ´ ) a word can change the entire meaning with one.

'De' it's a preposition... 'Dé' is a verb of 'dar' (give).

To learn spanish, you need to write, read A LOT, talk, be corrected, that's common for every language you wanna learn.

I really wouldn't say the accent makes it complicated. In fact it makes it easier because it differentiates homophones that English just expects you to know from context

Somebody said their Peruvian friend told them "Estoy alegre hay un esperanza ja." is grammatically correct.

This goes against my instincts after learning Spanish for many years with mostly Spanish professors. I'm pretty sure they would have docked me for that one. I was taught to say:

"Estoy alegre/me alegra que todavía haya esperanza."

I was taught to use the subjunctive in cases where I talk about emotions, followed by "que."

Which is right? Are there any regional differences?

Gracias.

mantidor

Its missing a comma, "Estoy alegre, hay un esperanza ja".

Seems to be chat speak, "ja" by itself is of course not a word, and it should be "una esperanza", but it looks like a typo.

Without the comma is certainly wrong, but I guess Facebook/WhatsApp are ruining all languages equally :p

Its missing a comma, "Estoy alegre, hay un esperanza ja".

Seems to be chat speak, "ja" by itself is of course not a word, and it should be "una esperanza", but it looks like a typo.

Without the comma is certainly wrong, but I guess Facebook/WhatsApp are ruining all languages equally :p

Thanks for clearing that up. But how about my sentence? Was that wrong too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom