• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01Net's Fifth Nintendo Article: Iwata On The Ejection Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
It's not a joke. It's an article that a website posted. You can suppose all you want that it's false and the source is fake and this is all trolling, but until you can prove that, you don't really have the right to tell anyone else what to do about it. Do you want to go bump the other four threads for the other four articles and bitch about how they're not labeled as jokes, either?

You should really consider prioritizing your outrage and apparent sorrow at what gets made in to a thread and what doesn't. Or go look at cats, because that apparently keeps you off the brink and, better yet, out of these threads.
oooooo snap, you just told me!! im just so outraged because I happen to criticize your perfect translation of the French language! How will I ever live again?!

Yeah, no. Anyone who talks back is not mad ok! But since you love winning e conversations I will depart your brave sanctum of discussion.

FTH said:
oooooo snap, you just told me!! im just so outraged because I happen to criticize your perfect translation of the French language! How will I ever live again?!

Yeah, no. Anyone who talks back is not mad ok! But since you love winning e conversations I will depart your brave sanctum of discussion.
So your issue is that it's being done with Google Translate?

Because, uh, it says that right in the OP. So, I guess you win? Warning provided!

So he wants to help his company… By telling people they'll release a 3DS with joystick so we don't buy 3DS's now? And badmouthing Miyamoto?

What a tool :-D (not believe a word of this shit, even if someone works at Nintendo it doesn't mean everything he says is accurate; visions differ as do suppositions)
Stabby McSter said:
so when are we banning 01net?
I'd like to know too.

I grow tired of bogus.

Momo

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
So your issue is that it's being done with Google Translate?

Because, uh, it says that right in the OP. So, I guess you win? Warning provided!
I think what he is trying to say is he had hoped you would have taken the thread and content more seriously by maybe proofing the translation and cleaning up some of the English.

This is what I think FTH things, not what I think.

Kazerei

Banned
Note de la rédaction

Cette série d’articles a fait débat, entre nous, à la rédaction, et auprès de vous, nos lecteurs. Il ne s’agissait en effet pas d’articles comme nous avons pu en faire à plusieurs reprises avec plusieurs sources sur des informations exclusives concernant du matériel ou une annonce future.

Il s’agissait de plus que cela. C’était l’occasion d’entendre une voix non formatée, une voix qui dit ce qui se passe au sein de Nintendo. Comme tout témoignage, il y a forcément une part de subjectivité. Pour autant, s’il n’y a pas toujours des révélations fulgurantes, la parole de cet insider a beaucoup de valeur.

Par sa rareté, tout d’abord, vous l’aurez compris. Par sa franchise ensuite, certains propos sont durs et dénotent une véritable inquiétude, partagée au sein de Big N, on ne le dira pas assez. Par sa passion débordante ensuite.

C’est un cri d’alarme, un « geste politique », comme le dit notre source. Comme nous l’avons écrit en préambule de notre premier article, nous sommes, comme beaucoup de joueurs, fans de Nintendo. Et il nous semblait intéressant de partager ce cri, cette inquiétude du présent, mais aussi, vous l’avez lu dans ce même article, cette confiance et cette passion pour le futur. Nous espérons que cela vous aura intéressé et donné une vision plus complète de Nintendo, sans altérer votre passion pour son univers.

1. It was the voice/opinion of one inside source at Nintendo.

2. We're fans of Nintendo too, so it's okay :p

The rest of it is fluff

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This one is ridiculous. Smartphones are said to kill handhelds without any button. Most games can be played without 2nd analog stick or be replaced by gyro/touchscreen.

Mission accomplished though, now let's see the world of medias report this "news" en masse.

marc^o^ said:
This one is ridiculous. Smartphones are said to kill handhelds without any button. Most games can be played without 2nd analog stick or be replaced by gyro/touchscreen.
Mass hysteria that's what it is, the more we stray from that path the better.
marc^o^ said:
Mission accomplished though, now let's see the world of medias report this "news" en masse.
Hope not, Nintendo needs to sell Nintendo 3DS's for christmas not to have people waiting for a version with an extra joystick (that for the record it's not really needed)

Then again I doubt this reaches the masses. I went to a mall yesterday and the XL's were more expensive than the 3DS… and seemingfully selling more than 3DS due to it. weird.

Those guys are on a mission.

Kazerei

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I clicked over to the actual french article and scrolled through it. The first comment begins with "wtf", lol. Even in french the proper response to this is wtf.

The second comment is even better :D

Votre "journalisme" me fait vomir. J'ai rarement vu des médias aussi peu professionnels.

watershed

Banned
Maybe the whole 5 part article is a conspiracy designed to weaken the 3ds post price cut and to deflate consumer and investor confidence in Nintendo. Maybe its a Sony insider posing as a Nintendo insider to take cheap shots and hurt the 3ds' consumer appeal to help out the impending vita launch!!!

Votre "journalisme" me fait vomir. J'ai rarement vu des médias aussi peu professionnels.
"Your "journalism" makes me vomit."?
artwalknoon said:
Maybe the whole 5 part article is a conspiracy designed to weaken the 3ds post price cut and to deflate consumer and investor confidence in Nintendo. Maybe its a Sony insider posing as a Nintendo insider to take cheap shots and hurt the 3ds' consumer appeal to help out the impending vita launch!!!
It's certainly not by someone that deep down wants nintendo to suceed.

As for helping the Vita… Too soon, it's not coming out till 2012 and I'm sure they'll have problems of their own.

The sad part of this industry is that manufacturers need to do nothing, there's always stupid people with stupid agendas.

And we're giving them broadcast time.

artwalknoon said:
The second analog/rebranding of the 3ds is the only stress test we have for determining the legitimacy of these 5 articles. Everything else is insider business that would never be revealed anyway. So if next year we get a new Nintendo handheld or a dramatically rebranded dual analog 3ds then a lot of us will have egg on our faces.
I can see a new 3DS coming with another joystick if they're stranded for ideas and need to do a new piece of hardware.

3DS doesn't need a redesign and is as compact as a DS Lite… there's not much to do there other than perhaps freeing space for a bigger battery and depend on sharp improving the screen tech. So perhaps they'll add a joystick, dunno.

But this is bogus, if they do it's not standard and there's no way you can have that as an accessory on a portable. And Nintendo tends to simplify rather than overly complicate.

The way it'll work though, is that such joystick will either mirror the first one (and work for lefties) or being used for optional stuff or optional control schemes.

For instance, if you took peace walker on PSPGo and via blutooth tethered a dual shock 3 you could use the second joystick, but it was still not something the developer could count on being there, clearly.

If they appear with a bullshit add-on that has no way of connecting to the console (3DS is wifi only, no bluetooth there, it has no wired communication ports, it's not meant for "acessories" like that and IR is unfeasible) and feels like adding a second joystick to the wiimote+nunchuck duo I'll agree we were wrong and nintendo did something utterly stupid, otherwise… no, just no. (and I don't see it happening)

Even if it did though, it wouldn't mean everything he said was on the money, no lower-up in the company would know that, and no higher-up would run his mouth like this. And then there's the fact that it makes no sense and it's deeply convoluted against Nintendo despite being from a "supposed" employee that wants the best for his company. Clearly not.

I like how blabbering about Wii-U being awesome in the end is something they think gives the article credibility.

So why, again, does the 3DS need another analog stick/slider when you can just use the touchscreen in the same way?

And why have we all apparently decided that handheld games need to control and play like console games to be attractive and fun to gamers?

And how would a snap-on second sick connect to the existing hardware? Because that's kind of important.

Mael

This one is ridiculous. Smartphones are said to kill handhelds without any button
Okaaaaaaaay, I see the translation is sucky again.

From the 5 articles, this is the conclusion that can be drawn.
- They said it was an ex employee from Nintendo.
- The site is in the EU, meaning that they have easier access to someone at NoE than NoA, the site is french, so Nintendo France is the obvious candidate.
- Someone pretty important at NoE got a leave without being given any reason, that one person is actually the one who leaked info on Xenoblade's release to a French channel....said info actually helped launch the whole fan campaign against NoA that I'm pretty sure NoA is upset about. Did NoA get this guy's head?
- In the articles, the only real insider leak is actually something about 3DS future direction and add ons (not outrageous and said info can actually be recouped by close 3rd parties like people at ATVI, Ubisoft or even EA)
- Remember when earlier I mentionned how Nintendo France is known for being litigious bastards? well that might be why said employee decided to not leak data that would put him on the line, if he's the guy I think he is he would be well aware of that. Be mindful that France is really NOT like the US protection of sources and freedom of press aren't exactly rights that are well seen by the ruling class either. We're pretty well known for crushing the press regularly actually.

Again everything on the articles make sense apart from 2/3 details that could be the author's voice more than the insider's (such as the link about the article mentioning Iwata telling employees that Apple was the enemy or the overstatement about the making process of Galaxy (then again Nintendo France is a shipping box company with a marketing team so that might be more hearsay or maybe he wasn't that close to the product...although that would be surprising)).
Now if you want to believe that Iwata's place is not secured after the guy managed to lose an ungodly amount of Yamauchi's money, that Nintendo never use former protos and start from scratch every time, that the relationship with 3rd parties is amazing and that the 3DS the way it is perfectly fine...I've got a bridge to sell you, it's made of steel, it's on the 5th avenue and I accept Paypal.

Night_Trekker said:
So why, again, does the 3DS need another analog stick/slider when you can just use the touchscreen in the same way?

And why have we all apparently decided that handheld games need to control and play like console games to be attractive and fun to gamers?

The article states that 3rd parties demand them, customers don't care.

Night_Trekker said:
And how would a snap-on second sick connect to the existing hardware? Because that's kind of important.
That's also a problem referenced in the 1rst article.

lostinblue said:
And badmouthing Miyamoto?
Where?

lostinblue said:
I grow tired of bogus.
Tell me about it.

lostinblue said:
If they appear with a bullshit add-on that has no way of connecting to the console (3DS is wifi only, no bluetooth there, it has no wired communication ports, it's not meant for "acessories" like that and IR is unfeasible)

There are established ways to do it though, perhaps every card that supported the add-on could include a bluetooth chip, like The Typing of the Pokemon already does.

Mael

ShockingAlberto said:
It does seem kind of unlikely that, say, an engineer would know if there's internal pressure among the board to take Iwata down.

And it seems pretty unlikely that someone higher up would be leaking to a French website under the idealistic terms of "I want to bring this information to the people!"

Or maybe a recently resigned higher up at Nintendo France.....

Mael

Smiles and Cries said:
we can't ban them yet? I mean the man took a pay cut and they are calling for blood?

Isn't it pretty obvious that the calling for blood happened at the same time as the pay cut? Why the hell do you think the Board of Directors actually settled for that move?

After sifting through the thread
1148_1253230725640.jpg

Did some people really fail at reading the articles that much to go with some of the things they've posted?

I mean did people wanna ban Bloomberg for every time Pachter came up with his shitty predictions?

Mael said:
Yesterday:

The concept of Pikmin, for example, was borrowed directly from an unpublished RTS (real-time simulation game) proposed by a creators years before the game’s release. Thus, the official story (Miyamoto got the idea for Pikmin by observing animal life in his garden) is just a clever narrative, fabricated for marketing purposes. Mario Galaxy is another example. According to our source, three totally different versions/concepts had been proposed for what was then called “Mario 128”, but none of them made the cut. Nintendo then set its views on a promising prototype it had bought from an external source some time ago, added Mario and its friends, tweaked a thing or two, and... Here was Mario Galaxy!

These are articles from someone with an agenda (and without much coherency to boot)
Mael said:
I mean did people wanna ban Bloomberg for every time Pachter came up with his shitty predictions?
That's not the issue, Pachter is Pachter and his track record is public; he's not hiding under a "source" guise nor claiming he has inside intel and making atrocious comments and bogus revelations based on it.

And as wrong as he has been, or critical he doesn't indulge in defamation.

The only thing about Pachter is that we shouldn't have paid him much mind; which is also true for these articles, for both are not really informative, but I'm not putting pachter in the same bag, hell no.

I don't like Pachter, mind you, but it's not like he oversteps his boundaries or goes out of his way with an agenda. He just has an opinion that's often wrong; but it's still his opinion.

This is a completely analogous subject.

Mael

lostinblue said:
Yesterday:

These are articles from someone with an agenda (and without much coherency to boot)
so 1rst let's cut the part that have nothing to do with your argument :
The concept of Pikmin, for example, was borrowed directly from an unpublished RTS (real-time simulation game) proposed by a creators years before the game’s release. Thus, the official story (Miyamoto got the idea for Pikmin by observing animal life in his garden) is just a clever narrative, fabricated for marketing purposes.

Where does it says that the Pikmin characters come from the unpublished RTS?
What the article means is that the gameplay part of Pikmin comes from the prototype, Miyamoto while working on the prototype had the idea of the theme for the RTS and voilà Pikmin.
He even said as such in the Financial statements Q&A with investors
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/101029qa/index.html

Well, I am asked about my hobbies all the time. But I have always been told not to answer because it could be a hint for our next project. It is true that some of my hobbies have turned out to be the themes in our games.

^ Do you really want to go through with that?

Let's translate what the part you quoted from my quote said:

It says Miyamoto having ideas from his hobbies, in this case gardening is bogus, it's a "clever narrative" that never took place.

They're pretty clear on what they're implying, and they mean just that. How's that not badmouthing? seeing he now claims to be a Nintendo insider and how he "loves his company to whom he devoted his life"?

"His" company is pretty much Miyamoto, wether he likes it or not (I don't want to be reductive to other developers, but still). But he is not a Nintendo of Japan employee, and most certainly not a higher up as many have already point out. It's not rocket science to tell when someone is incoherent and is acting on an agenda.

Tomorrow he'll say Miyamoto is about to get the boot. "Ejection seat", like he calls it.

Mael

lostinblue said:
^ Do you really want to go through with that?

Let's translate:

It says Miyamoto having ideas from his hobbies, in this case gardening is bogus, it's a "clever narrative" that never took place.

They're pretty clear on what they're implying, and they mean just that.
Look the narrative Nintendo pulled for Pikmin is pretty much Miyamoto was gardening, got an awesome idea went back to Nintendo's office and decided that a game called Pikmin was to be made.

Seriously with or without SM's input on the theme of the game in any other company the game would have come out anyway. It's not like Nintendo didn't release games where the theme was cripplingly uninteresting (Steel Diver to begin with).
Heck it was even marketed as Miyamoto's new character based game along the line of Pikmin, Mario and others.
Nintendo's marketing certainly picked that angle to sell their game (and I'd even argue that Pikmin being Miyamoto's creation was on Pikmin's box although I could be wrong)

"His" company is pretty much Miyamoto, wether he likes it or not (I don't want to be reductive to other developers, but still). But he is not a Nintendo of Japan employee, and most certainly not a higher up as many have already point out. It's not rocket science to tell when someone is incoherent and is acting on an agenda.
And now you're talking BS, Nintendo is certainly way bigger than Miyamoto (actually something like 3000 people more than that).
Heck even projects he had no input on went on to become phenomenons, like for example Rythm Heaven (again Iwata says so in the financial statements Q&A).
What makes you think he's not a higher up? It's pretty clear it is actually, it's not a Ncl or NoA employee because this site wouldn't be running the story.
You're more incoherent than the article actually.

Tomorrow he'll say Miyamoto is about to get the boot. "Ejection seat", like he calls it.
There won't be more and he never said anything close to that even.
Iwata's position was certainly on the line after the recent horrible performance of the company that is HIS fault.

Graphics Horse said:
There are established ways to do it though, perhaps every card that supported the add-on could include a bluetooth chip, like The Typing of the Pokemon already does.

So this would add to the already not-so-great battery life problems, wouldn't it? Like, significantly? And it would make each card more expensive to produce, wouldn't it?

This sounds less and less likely the more it's discussed.

Pikma

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
So this would add to the already not-so-great battery life problems, wouldn't it? Like, significantly? And it would make each card more expensive to produce, wouldn't it?

It also costs $10, don't forget that. lol

Mael said:
Look the narrative Nintendo pulled for Pikmin is pretty much Miyamoto was gardening, got an awesome idea went back to Nintendo's office and decided that a game called Pikmin was to be made.
Dude, saying it like that makes no sense.

He also had an idea for Super Mario and we now know at one point it had Beam Guns and Rocket Packs. From the point you have an idea until it matures into the final form of it it's a whole process, and Miyamoto likes his experimenting.

It might not have started as a RTS in a garden, sure, but what they're implying is that: The idea wasn't his, or a team effort for that matter, it was done by a poor uncomprehended soul that was sacked of his credits. Oh and he didn't really have the idea of basing it on a garden it just happened that way as a collaborative effort (no ones idea, really) and then he was advised for marketing purposes to take all the credit and make a narrative of how he got the idea.

Makes no sense and it's too convoluted. More than that it's a conspiracy theory, and I never ever seen a conspiracy theory that rang true. Why? because they're theories that overstep the bounds of logic, that's why.
Mael said:
Seriously with or without SM's input on the theme of the game in any other company the game would have come out anyway.
Sure, because the game existed anyway and Miyamoto is a credit hog.

It's a creative process a Pikmin not taking place in a garden, even if it existed, it wouldn't be pikmin, and it could be not well enough resolved and/or have ineficient design. The idea is just a part of what makes a game. And I'm sure Miyamoto was involved in that creative effort as a Director/Producer is, it wasn't a hands-off approach like he does with mario and zelda (and most sequels nowadays). We know that much.
Mael said:
It's not like Nintendo didn't release games where the theme was cripplingly uninteresting (Steel Diver to begin with).
Never heard of that, and never seen Miyamoto hyping it all that much.

I'm sure no one did. Other than that it's marketing, if they did so, it's not convoluted to try to sell something they made… But they're not saying Miyamoto had the idea in the bathroom while taking a bath and playing with a plastic submarine.

He said he wanted to make a game with a machine whom you controlled through the game GUI for the longest time though, that's pretty legit rather than being something out of a marketing office I'd say.
Mael said:
Heck it was even marketed as Miyamoto's new character based game along the line of Pikmin, Mario and others.
Huh? not.
Mael said:
Nintendo's marketing certainly picked that angle to sell their game (and I'd even argue that Pikmin being Miyamoto's creation was on Pikmin's box although I could be wrong)
not. I had the box in my hands yesterday, the box is holographic and just says steeldiver on the front.

No Miyamoto in there.
Mael said:
There won't be more and he never said anything close to that even.
Iwata's position was certainly on the line after the recent horrible performance of the company that is HIS fault.
That part was joking. This so called source isn't credible, but he won't jeopardize the fact that people like you are actually buying it.
Night_Trekker said:

Yup.

They might add one if they're out of ideas for a 3DS "Lite" equivalent, it would serve lefties and some games as an optional non-standard control scheme and (this could be the best prop for it) it could help enabling streaming and playing Wii U games on it, seeing it was 2 joysticks. making it a secondary controller with screen with most of the features intact.

But they can't provide that as an accessory for the original 3DS and thus wouldn't really be standard. But the 3DS is fine as is they don't have to do that; we're just trying to turn something that makes no sense into a "could be made if…" scenario.

Other than that it's just not doable.
Pikma said:
It also costs $10, don't forget that. lol
yeah, LOL.

Nintendo didn't even sold the Motion Plus at that price and they wanted it to be standard, plus an extra joystick in 3DS makes as much sense as an extra joystick on the wiimote+nunchuck combo. (the wiimote has a means to add stuff though, via wired means 3DS doesn't)

3DS giroscope/AR=Wii pointer/Wii Motion plus. It makes up for the lack of a second joystick and that was the reasoning.

Mael

lostinblue said:
Dude, saying it like that makes no sense.

He also had an idea for Super Mario and we now know at one point it had Beam Guns and Rocket Packs. From the point you have an idea until it matures into the final form of it it's a whole process, and Miyamoto likes his experimenting.

It might not have started as a RTS in a garden, sure, but what they're implying is that: The idea wasn't his, or a team effort for that matter, it was done by a poor uncomprehended soul that was sacked of his credits. Oh and he didn't really have the idea of basing it on a garden it just happened that way as a collaborative effort (no ones idea, really) and then he was advised for marketing purposes to take all the credit and make a narrative of how he got the idea.

Actually that's pretty much how it probably happened, who cares who did the prototype from where the game emerged? It's a proto made from a contractor, he relinquished his rights the moment he sold the proto to Nintendo anyway. They could have made an expensive toaster for all he cared anyway, that's how it works in the software industry. Why do you think Stallman went to such length to push for his licences?

lostinblue said:
Makes no sense and it's too convoluted. More than that it's a conspiracy theory, and I never ever seen a conspiracy theory that rang true. Why? because they're theories that overstep the bounds of logic, that's why.Sure, because the game existed anyway and Miyamoto is a credit hog.

Huh, there's actually no leap of logic anywhere, the idea that the gameplay idea from Pikmin came from Miyamoto while gardening is actually more farfetched than Nintendo having protos they were working on and the themes was indeed SM's idea.

lostinblue said:
It's a creative process a Pikmin not taking place in a garden, even if it existed, it wouldn't be pikmin, and it could be not well enough resolved and/or have ineficient design. The idea is just a part of what makes a game. And I'm sure Miyamoto was involved in that creative effort as a Director/Producer is, it wasn't a hands-off approach like he does with mario and zelda (and most sequels nowadays). We know that much.Never heard of that, and never seen Miyamoto hyping it all that much.

Actually read what I say, Miyamoto doesn't do most of the marketing. It's the marketing team's job! And what you're saying goes against multiple interviews where they say they actually come up with gameplay ideas and then put the characters and the contents afterwards.

lostinblue said:
I'm sure no one did. Other than that it's marketing, if they did so, it's not convoluted to try to sell something they made… But they're not saying Miyamoto had the idea in the bathroom while taking a bath and playing with a plastic submarine.

No I'm saying that if Miyamoto or anyone have an interesting theme for the game, it gets released anyway like for example Steel Diver.

lostinblue said:
He said he wanted to make a game with a machine whom you controlled through the game GUI for the longest time though, that's pretty legit rather than being something out of a marketing office I'd say.Huh? not.not. I had the box in my hands yesterday, the box is holographic and just says steeldiver on the front.
And there's still no interesting theme for that game.
And I'm talking about Pikmin :

That part was joking. This so called source isn't credible, but he won't jeopardize the fact that people like you are actually buying it.

Hey if you prefer to live in the pretty world of make-believe where Nintendo is not an industry leader company with clear processes but rather a small workshop where dedicated pikmins assembles everything, good for you.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Btw it's up to 01net to prove they have a source, or at least provide some evidence, such us tell us how they verified the source's authenticity enough to make a 5 part or whatever article out of it, not to people who don't believe the pretty damn outrageous allegations (uncredited work is pretty big I'd think) posted to prove it's bullshit. It sounds like bullshit, and they've given no reason to believe it's not so until any of these actually happens to the letter we have no reason to beleve they're true. And lol @ people speculating it's some NOE fired dude. That neither matches 01's story, nor the content of the articles, such as the reasons the source provided for doing this, so you basically admit they're talking bullshit at least in some of this. If you really want to add to the plausibility of it al you probably shouldn't speculate on how at least some of it is blatantly untrue according to what you believe.

Mael

Alextended said:
Btw it's up to 01net to prove this is correct, or at least provide some evidence, such us how they verified the source's authenticity rather than just take the word of random emails for granted or whatever else, not to people who don't believe the pretty damn outrageous shit posted to prove it's bullshit. It sounds like bullshit, and they've given no reason to believe it's not so until any of these actually happens we have no reason to beleve they're true. And lol @ people speculating it's some NOE fired dude. That neither matches 01's story, nor the content of the articles, such as the reasons the source provided for doing this, so you basically admit they're talking bullshit at least in some of this is you really want to add to the plausibility of it all by citing some NOE guy who got sacked.
Ok prove it, this part actually matches the whole thing.
The guy left not 2 months ago, is the head of the marketing of a division of the company and should certainly be privy to such things or the whole company would be unable to handle the globalisation of their operation.
If you've seen the translations provided by 01.Net it's quite clear they're not fluent in english enough to have access to anyone not an NoE employee actually.

Alexios

Because that guy isn't at Nintendo anymore and the articles up to this last one say the source is currently with Nintendo and is doing this because he wants Nintendo to do better? How does this match? Or are you now saying he got fired because of these leaks, before the leaks even got out, and 01net was sitting on this for at least that long?

Mael said:
Actually that's pretty much how it probably happened, who cares who did the prototype from where the game emerged? It's a proto made from a contractor, he relinquished his rights the moment he sold the proto to Nintendo anyway. They could have made an expensive toaster for all he cared anyway, that's how it works in the software industry. Why do you think Stallman went to such length to push for his licences?
I think you have what it takes to be a 01net insider.

Care to contact them?

This has been discussed to hell and back on the other thread though, let's not indulge. Whatever the idea was, if it was, it wasn't pikmin or a complete concept, that's what a creative effort is, like saying it could have turned into overlord in codemasters hands or could have turned into little king story in marvelous hands.

And yet, like you said Nintendo has 3000 employees, do they really have to buy something from outside like that? (we already now they pitch ideas outside for a prototype to be made so they don't waste resources)

If anything I think it's more believable to suggest if nintendo ever bought stuff like that and "sacked" it's creators it was as a means to cease and desist. Why? because they were doing the same thing internally. Imagine if someone had pitched the Okami idea to Nintendo? "Zelda game with a wolf?" during Twilight princess? They would probably buy it out (since it was being pitched) not because "this idea is freaking great" but as a means to not steal their thunder.
Mael said:
Huh, there's actually no leap of logic anywhere, the idea that the gameplay idea from Pikmin came from Miyamoto while gardening is actually more farfetched than Nintendo having protos they were working on and the themes was indeed SM's idea.
This is semantics.
Mael said:
Actually read what I say, Miyamoto doesn't do most of the marketing. It's the marketing team's job! And what you're saying goes against multiple interviews where they say they actually come up with gameplay ideas and then put the characters and the contents afterwards.
Well they sure don't do interviews for him. And that's where these details regarding this stuff came from.
Mael said:
And I'm talking about Pikmin :
It's not, also. Not on the box, definitely.

As for being the a character from Miyamoto… well, it was.

Mael

Alextended said:
Because that guy isn't at Nintendo anymore and the articles cite him as being a Nintendo employee who wants it to do better than it does or whatever? Or are you now saying he got fired because of these leaks, before the leaks even got out, and 01net was sitting on this for that long?

The only part where he says he is a Nintendo employee is this one :
C’est en quelque sorte un acte politique. En tant qu’employé de Nintendo, j’estime avoir consacré ma vie à cette société.

It's a political act. As a Nintendo employee, I think I dedicated my life to this corporation.

He's referring to himself as Nintendo employee in the past, the context is clear. It still makes sense if he left the company not so long ago and spent the last 10 years there.

Alexios

When was he referred as a "former" employee? Until your speculation it's been a source from Nintendo, not merely formerly with Nintendo. And he does say "we" must do this and that, when saying what he thinks Nintendo should do. How do you interpret that as being in the past rather than at the time of the discussions? And why would that guy know of all this shit? Knowing of the Xenoblade european release that is already being localised is one thing, knowing these things is on a whole other level of involvement.

Mael said:
The guy left not 2 months ago, is the head of the marketing of a division of the company and should certainly be privy to such things or the whole company would be unable to handle the globalisation of their operation.

Actually, from what I can tell from the outside that's exactly what doesn't seem to happen - NCL keeps things incredibly close to their chest and subsidiaries like NoA and NoE only find out about things when they need to. There's certainly more independence in terms of things like localisation - NoE seem to have more of a free hand to localise titles, or to publish titles for other companies than they used to, or in the most recent case to push a revised budget Wii SKU - and marketing approaches, but when it comes to finding out about hardware revisions and dealing with developers it all still appears to come down to NCL.

Mael

lostinblue said:
I think you have what it takes to be a 01net insider.

Care to contact them?
This is one of the lamest retort ever.

lostinblue said:
This is semantics.

This is what they're saying. There was a protos, the gameplay came from that and the rest is not even mentioned. The fact that the proto was never talked about (it probably would have in the IA if Pikmin 3 was a Wii game) doesn't preclude it from existing. The uncredited contractor probably signed his rights to the prototype when he gave it anyway, that's how contractor work goes.

lostinblue said:
Well they sure don't do interviews for him. And that's where these details regarding this stuff came from.
Are you seriously saying that all if not most of the marketing for Nintendo is done by Miyamoto?

lostinblue said:
It's not, also. Not on the box, definitely.
Point taken. Media reported as such though (which is again part of the job of the marketing team at Nintendo)

lostinblue said:
As for being the a character from Miyamoto… well, it was.
So what are you arguing exactly?

Mael

Cosmonaut X said:
Actually, from what I can tell from the outside that's exactly what doesn't seem to happen - NCL keeps things incredibly close to their chest and subsidiaries like NoA and NoE only find out about things when they need to. There's certainly more independence in terms of things like localisation - NoE seem to have more of a free hand to localise titles, or to publish titles for other companies than they used to, or in the most recent case to push a revised budget Wii SKU - and marketing approaches, but when it comes to finding out about hardware revisions and dealing with developers it all still appears to come down to NCL.

Nintendo has partners in Europe, they even were searching for someone skilled in ergonomic design in Germany not 2 years ago. I very much doubt that was for their web site.
They also can't afford to not have people in Europe to deal with their software partners here (developers houses or even Q&A). As such the whole WiiU and the 3DS were most certainly known at NoE and NoA to relay the info to their partners in the EU and in NA.

Alextended said:
When was he referred as a "former" employee? Until your speculation it's been a source from Nintendo, not merely formerly with Nintendo. And he does say "we" must do this and that, when saying what he thinks Nintendo should do. How do you interpret that as being in the past rather than at the time of the discussions?
From what I've read he NEVER say 'we should do' but rather 'Nintendo should'. At least I'm fairly certain that's the case in the source material.
Anyway it's most certainly someone who was on the marketing team, that's the only thing talked about in the articles (remember people that marketing =/= advertising).

Mael said:
This is one of the lamest retort ever.
Thank you, I tried my very best.

You were acting like that was the new absolute truth, see, thought you wanted to join the cult. ;) Least I could do was pointing the direction to go.
Mael said:
This is what they're saying. There was a protos, the gameplay came from that and the rest is not even mentioned. The fact that the proto was never talked about (it probably would have in the IA if Pikmin 3 was a Wii game) doesn't preclude it from existing. The uncredited contractor probably signed his rights to the prototype when he gave it anyway, that's how contractor work goes.
Why are you talking about Pikmin 3 being a Wii game?

Contractor work, if it gets used usually has to be credited, unless they don't want it. And that's pretty much TOSE alone. If it was a unused proto it was just that, but even then there's no basis to suppose it was bought. Nintendo R&D divisions are meant for that mean.
Mael said:
Are you seriously saying that all if not most of the marketing for Nintendo is done by Miyamoto?
I don't know how you concluded that:

I said:

lostinblue said:

He does his interviews; he answers questions, unscripted. And that's where most of this information comes from.
Mael said:
So what are you arguing exactly?
You said it was marketed as a new character from Miyamoto, I thought you were talking about steel diver and found it preposterous but if it's pikmin… well, then it was a new character from miyamoto. In 2001.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't think the analog stick stuff is that far-fetched. Developers want to be able to port their games to as many platforms as possible with minimal hassle, forcing them to re-do the controls for only one stick is unnecessary extra work. With FPS so popular these days, it probably was a mistake not to have a second stick. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DSLite has one, and given what Nintendo did with MotionPlus (releasing a dongle and then a redesigned controller), an add-on isn't that far fetched.

As for Iwata, he should be taking the blame for Nintendo's recent failings. He failed to ensure a solid stream of 1st party titles on the Wii, he failed to substantially improve Nintendo's relationship with third parties, and he made many bone-headed decisions with the 3DS launch. I still think he's the right person to be in charge but he deserves criticism.

Alexios

From what I've read he NEVER say 'we should do' but rather 'Nintendo should'. At least I'm fairly certain that's the case in the source material.
There are plenty of "we"s in the OP here, and it's apparently google translated so I don't think it converted "Nintendo" into "we".

Pretty much all the bolded parts mention some kinf of "we do this" or "we should do that" when speaking of Nintendo moves.

Anyway it's most certainly someone who was on the marketing team, that's the only thing talked about in the articles.
Uh, things like uncredited third party work aren't a European branch marketing decision. Neither is Iwata getting the boot.

Ushojax said:
I don't think the analog stick stuff is that far-fetched. Developers want to be able to port their games to as many platforms as possible with minimal hassle, forcing them to re-do the controls for only one stick is unnecessary. With FPS so popular these days, it probably was a mistake not to have a second stick. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DSLite has one, and given Nintendo what Nintendo did with MotionPlus (releasing a dongle and then a redesigned controller), an add-on isn't that far fetched.
3DS is something between PS2 and GC with extra fixed function "shaders"… Do you think it would enjoy multiplatform when the Wii didn't?

PSVita wants multiplatform with the PS3, sure. But then again what has Nintendo to gain from it? Ports? hah.

Nintendo DS and the Wii (and every leading system) if anything benefitted from the exclusives.

And how do you plug that add-on?
Ushojax said:
As for Iwata, he should be taking the blame for Nintendo's recent failings. He failed to ensure a solid stream of 1st party titles on the Wii
They delivered lots of titles in less time than they did with the GC… and then sequels, the Wii has 3 main super mario games (two in 3D and one "classic") I wouldn't say he failed.
Ushojax said:
he failed to substantially improve Nintendo's relationship with third parties, and he made many bone-headed decisions with the 3DS launch. I still think he's the right person to be in charge but he deserves criticism.
I don't disagree with someone deserving criticism for his errors (and the premium pricetag was an error) but he improved relations with third party's a lot.

Before the Wii the tech assistance for Nintendo and third party's was different and they didn't disclose as much information. Before Iwata they'd never release dev kits earlier (unveiling hardware earlier too) so third party's could have the time to work on it for launch. They're heading somewhere even if they could do more. There's lots of internal politics and tradition involved too, I bet.

Celine

Eteric Rice said:
Yamauchi owns like 51% stock in Nintendo, I don't think they could boot him.

And hell, if Yamauchi is on Iwata's side, I don't think current stock holders can boot him either.
10% but he is the majority stockholder.
If Yamauchi want Iwata to stay there he will stay there.

Ushojax said:
Given what Nintendo did with MotionPlus (releasing a dongle and then a redesigned controller), an add-on isn't that far fetched.

...except the Wii Remote had an expansion port built-in to allow for that. Where do you propose connecting an analogue pad dongle to the 3DS? And if it's wireless, what on Earth is that going to do to battery life? Would the dongle clip to the 3DS? How would the unit close? Would you have to remove it every time you shut the system and put it back on each time you opened it?

Leaving aside other issues, he suggestion that a redesigned twin-pad 3DS could be on the cards isn't too far-fetched in practical design terms - make the unit a bit thicker/wider and you could probably fit a second pad in there - but a clip-on dongle for existing units? Seems utterly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom