• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01Net's Fifth Nintendo Article: Iwata On The Ejection Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The only reason I can think of why that second analog would be so important is because of competing with the NGP. It's possible because with WiiU Nintendo is doing both ways, innovating and competing with PS360. 3DS could be the same way. Maybe they're having trouble with Monster Hunter controls or something, I dunno. If Iwata was pushing for certain features of the 3DS maybe that's why he's getting some heat

Sianos

AceBandage said:
No... I got it.
I was simply implying that Iwata is actually Yamauchi.

Hinagiku_Shock2.jpg

I AM NOT WORTHY OF YOUR BRILLIANCE

Zomba13

Next rumour: Our source tells us that nintendo will be going third part before the year is up and are planning on stopping Wii, DS and 3DS production later this month.

watershed

Banned
Teetris said:
The only reason I can think of why that second analog would be so important is because of competing with the NGP. It's possible because with WiiU Nintendo is doing both ways, innovating and competing with PS360. 3DS could be the same way. Maybe they're having trouble with Monster Hunter controls or something, I dunno. If Iwata was pushing for certain features of the 3DS maybe that's why he's getting some heat
The truth is the 3ds should have had a second slider to begin with. Even though we know Nintendo's handheld history of being one step behind, ds no analog, gba 2 face buttons not 4, etc the reality is with some of the games the 3ds hopes to have a second slider would make a big difference and 3rd party developers don't like having to alter their preferred control schemes to match different handhelds/consoles. Monster Hunter is a perfect example of a non-fps that is really aided by a second analog.

The idea that the 3ds could use a 2nd slider is a no-brainer to me, mostly because it helps and does no harm. But the idea that Nintendo is going to release a 2nd slider add-on or rebrand the 3ds as a new device with a new look 1 year after the 3ds launch I doubt a lot.

Emitan

artwalknoon said:
The truth is the 3ds should have had a second slider to begin with. Even though we know Nintendo's handheld history of being one step behind, ds no analog, gba 2 face buttons not 4, etc the reality is with some of the games the 3ds hopes to have a second slider would make a big difference and 3rd party developers don't like having to alter their preferred control schemes to match different handhelds/consoles. Monster Hunter is a perfect example of a non-fps that is really aided by a second analog.

The idea that the 3ds could use a 2nd slider is a no-brainer to me, mostly because it helps and does no harm. But the idea that Nintendo is going to release a 2nd slider add-on or rebrand the 3ds as a new device with a new look 1 year after the 3ds launch I doubt a lot.
It could have been because of the battery. They might have needed to make the system thicker because I think the battery is where the second slider would be.

Billychu said:
It could have been because of the battery. They might have needed to make the system thicker because I think the battery is where the second slider would be.
I thought it was stated that the reason was that Miyamoto vetoed the 2nd slider.

Billychu said:
I think perhaps they should've made it a little bit thicker or made it XL style. However, stupid people were already saying that the 3DS was too big and clunky as it is now which is about on par with the DS Lite.

watershed

Banned
Billychu said:
Yeah that could be it. I don't mean to open a can of worms but talk of battery life and system design leads me to think "maybe Nintendo shouldn't have gone with 3d which is such a big battery drain, or maybe they shouldn't have stayed so close to the ds clamshell design and found a different configuration of parts which could support the battery and a second slider" etc, etc.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
artwalknoon said:

It's no problem if you're pushing for certain kind of games, games that are unique and creative or the casual DS stuff. Things that are made specifically for the hardware. But it's become a bit obvious that Nintendo wants the core industry games and the best way of that would be to offer the same things the competition has. What Vita games won't use the second slider? The number has to be below 30%

Lance Bone Path said:
I thought it was stated that the reason was that Miyamoto vetoed the 2nd slider.
That'd be hilarious and so miyamoto like

BurntPork

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Yeah that could be it. I don't mean to open a can of worms but talk of battery life and system design leads me to think "maybe Nintendo shouldn't have gone with 3d which is such a big battery drain, or maybe they shouldn't have stayed so close to the ds clamshell design and found a different configuration of parts which could support the battery and a second slider" etc, etc.
I don't really see how they could have shifted to a different design while keeping the second screen.

Datschge

Lance Bone Path said:
Yeah, that's because he is a lefty and it mustn't be that 3DS would allow the same control mapping for both hand sides.

watershed

Banned
BurntPork said:
I don't really see how they could have shifted to a different design while keeping the second screen.
I don't know either but that's why its a can of worms. What I mean is that Nintendo could have been more bold in design. One example would be the psp go look with a sliding screen. But even with keeping the clamshell the 3ds as it is can nearly support a second slider under the face buttons. If it were a little larger the 3ds could have the same button layout as the wii u pad.

Datschge said:
Yeah, that's because he is a lefty and it mustn't be that 3DS would allow the same control mapping for both hand sides.
Here is a link that Miyamoto insisted on having an analog controller, although, to be fair, it's not clear in that article that he had rejected the idea of having two:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/255696/miyamoto-insisted-on-3ds-analogue-stick/

I don't think that giving the same control mapping for left and right handers was that high on his list of priorities.

Anyway I suppose I could have misremembered something like Miyamoto rejecting a second analog slider, but it's somewhat telling that the prototypes with the replaceable d-pad/analog slider never had replaceable components on the opposite end.

Lord_Byron28 said:
So they dominate with the Wii/DS for years and bring Nintendo the highest selling console since the NES but they've slacked off these last few months and Iwata is going to get fired. Right.
It happened to Kutaragi

Epcott

Why is 01Net not a banned site by now? Or is the Gaf-Legislature awaiting further evidence to debunk these funky rumors before putting the bill in motion?

Kerrby

Banned
What happened to 01net? I thought they were credible to start off with, leaking the WiiU and all that.

I guess they went downhill real quick?

Hylian7

Epcott said:
Why is 01Net not a banned site by now? Or is the Gaf-Legislature awaiting further evidence to debunk these funky rumors before putting the bill in motion?
Probably waiting til the 3DS trade show to see if the "second analog" shit is true. After that it will probably be banned though.

AceBandage said:
Why?
It's completely absurd on any level.
It is not like anyone could have predicted an $80 price cut and 20 free games from Nintendo.

I'm not defending 01Net, but who knows what could happen tomorrow or in a few months.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Kerrby said:
What happened to 01net? I thought they were credible to start off with, leaking the WiiU and all that.

I guess they went downhill real quick?
What exclusive information did 01net have on the Wii U? Curious, as I've heard many reports that they weren't actually the first ones to report on it, and that they've gotten other stuff wrong.

What exactly is the record for 01net in a more detailed form. I know that they got the RAM wrong, but people started saying that Sony changed it after developers saying they needed it. I'm still not 100% convinced that's the case though.

JWong

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Probably waiting til the 3DS trade show to see if the "second analog" shit is true. After that it will probably be banned though.
Muahahahaha?

When is this trade show?

watershed

Banned
The second analog/rebranding of the 3ds is the only stress test we have for determining the legitimacy of these 5 articles. Everything else is insider business that would never be revealed anyway. So if next year we get a new Nintendo handheld or a dramatically rebranded dual analog 3ds then a lot of us will have egg on our faces.

artwalknoon said:
The second analog/rebranding of the 3ds is the only stress test we have for determining the legitimacy of these 5 articles. Everything else is insider business that would never be revealed anyway. So if next year we get a new Nintendo handheld or a dramatically rebranded dual analog 3ds then a lot of us will have egg on our faces.
I will say this

It is something so strange and so dumb that I could see Nintendo doing it

But that does not mean they are doing it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I for one would really like to see how Nintendo would make a second analog stick work via the only open port on the 3DS, the Audio out.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Well.... I have been disappointed with the direction Nintendo has chosen. Many of my favorite games are first party Nintendo titles. The gimmick of Wii controls wore off for me rather quickly. I want awesome graphics. The wiimote is not where I want to spend my gaming time. Give us kickass first party titles and lose the gimmicks. I know nintendo has it in them, they just need to do it. Just my humble opinion.

watershed

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I will say this

It is something so strange and so dumb that I could see Nintendo doing it

But that does not mean they are doing it
I don't think it will happen but as Iwata has said, this holiday is absolutely critical for the 3ds. If the 3ds fails to move units this holiday, if it falls short of their estimates, or if post-vita release the 3ds falls off a cliff then maybe a contingency plan like the one the article talks about will kick in. With the price cut Nintendo has shown that they mean serious business and are not afraid of making dramatic moves.

daffy

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Maybe I missed something, but why are we taking these yoohoos as credible?
Its not supposed to be taken seriously. OP was too busy lolling in Google translate to denote that.

I actually have a couple things I laugh at, like cats, thinking of making threads for them soon.

:I

FTH said:
Its not supposed to be taken seriously. OP was too busy lolling in Google translate to denote that.

I actually have a couple things I laugh at, like cats, thinking of making threads for them soon.

:I
Oh, wow.

You're taking this really personally, aren't you?

I honestly feel really bad for you. If I could take this thread back and spare your feelings, I honestly would.

daffy

Banned
Yes , I'm crying over my keyboard. :x

Talk down all you want, I know its your strong suit. I'm not even upset, but you could at least tell people that this is a joke.

Looks like N4G up in here.

watershed

Banned
I clicked over to the actual french article and scrolled through it. The first comment begins with "wtf", lol. Even in french the proper response to this is wtf.

FTH said:
Yes , I'm crying over my keyboard. :x

Talk down all you want, I know its your strong suit. I'm not even upset, but you could at least tell people that this is a joke.
It's not a joke. It's an article that a website posted. You can suppose all you want that it's false and the source is fake and this is all trolling, but until you can prove that, you don't really have the right to tell anyone else what to do about it. Do you want to go bump the other four threads for the other four articles and bitch about how they're not labeled as jokes, either?

You should really consider prioritizing your outrage and apparent sorrow at what gets made in to a thread and what doesn't. Or go look at cats, because that apparently keeps you off the brink and, better yet, out of these threads.

Momo

Banned
@FTH Which part is a joke? Over the course of these articles I've found at best a handful of their leaks to be believable, the rest seems like insider commentary.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
artwalknoon said:
I clicked over to the actual french article and scrolled through it. The first comment begins with "wtf", lol. Even in french the proper response to this is wtf.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom