• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01Net's Fifth Nintendo Article: Iwata On The Ejection Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
thecouncil said:
the only reason i can see that it isnt selling is because there are no games that people want. not because of the reasons above. crappy graphics. haha. oh my.
You mean the reason is that there are no Nintendo first party games that people want.

Blame the third party developers all that you want, but it has always been up to Nintendo and no one else to level the playing field.

StuBurns

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Hmm, this just leaves me wondering what Ken Kutaragi's salary was after he was given a new job.
That's another thing, do the Japanese even fire people anyway? From the things people in the press always say it'd seem they'd give him a corner office and let him rot as some consultant who's phone never rings I imagine.

I know it doesn't say he'd be leaving, but I think that's the implication it gives.

Ulchie

Banned
Plinko said:
Yeah, THAT'S the reason the 3DS wasn't selling. Right. The insane price had nothing to do with it.

People drastically overestimate how much consumers care about a 2nd analog stick.
This.

That has never been an issue with the NDS and it came out roughly in the same time period as PSP. If anything dual analog makes the systems more bulky than they need to be.

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:
Well then I agree... I doubt most of this stuff turns out being true, especially the second analog add-on/redesign with second analog rumor, but I'm not going to completely 100% dismiss it.
What irked me was all the calls to ban the site in these threads, and there were tons of posts like that.

Well, to be fair, there have been far less crock-worthy articles that have caused other (sometimes more respectable) sites to be banned than stuff like this.

the things that makes this entirely suspect is the notion that the second analog stick is such a big mistake. clearly biggest mistakes were the price, not clearly differentiating the system from the DS, and not launching with some awesome piece of software.

not having a second analog stick would fall much much lower on the list, yet this source treats it like the biggest issue.

DXB-KNIGHT said:
So the CEO who personally took the blame for the 3DS price mistake and deducted his own salary to cut losses while the other CEOs usually just fire workers who just were following orders, is goona be fired?

Doubtful.
There's really no one that can fire him.

Lance Bone Path said:
You mean the reason is that there are no Nintendo first party games that people want.

Blame the third party developers all that you want, but it has always been up to Nintendo and no one else to level the playing field.

It's hard to know if third party games could even the score when there isn't a single one worth owning (apart from the vaguely niche Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars). The same went for the DS' launch.

StuBurns said:
That's another thing, do the Japanese even fire people anyway? From the things people in the press always say it'd seem they'd give him a corner office and let him rot as some consultant who's phone never rings I imagine.

I know it doesn't say he'd be leaving, but I think that's the implication it gives.

At least he'll still have his stapler.

Varth

hardcastle_mccormick said:
It's hard to know if third party games could even the score when there isn't a single one worth owning (apart from the vaguely niche Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars). The same went for the DS' launch.

Why the hell are you posting and not writing another chapter of my fav drama?

angelfly

AceBandage said:
Doubtful.
There's really no one that can fire him.
The board of directors can come together and claim he's unfit to run the company which would be grounds for his dismissal.

angelfly said:
The board of directors can come together and claim he's unfit to run the company which would be grounds for his dismissal.

After the Wii and DS?
I really doubt that.
The sales of the 3DS aren't low enough to warrant such an action.

angelfly

AceBandage said:
After the Wii and DS?
I really doubt that.
The sales of the 3DS aren't low enough to warrant such an action.
I'm not claiming they are. I'm just saying that there are people that could fire him.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
angelfly said:

But the Board of Directors also took salary cuts because they all make decisions collectively. Iwata could not be removed, without or before, any Board of Director members themselves.

MisterHero

Lance Bone Path said:

You're right, but Nintendo gave them space with the 3DS launch period and 3rd Parties are struggling to follow (at least compared to the enthusiasm of their commitments at E3 2010).

It really sucks that Nintendo is the only truly dependable supporter of their own platform while 3rd Parties can afford to 1) half-ass their commitments or not even try, and 2) complain they aren't getting enough support.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This article was more disappointing than Spore. 01net should be ashamed at what they tried to hype up. I was expecting something much much bigger.

Elginer

The LULZ keep on coming with this site. Come on now, next they're going to say that Nintendo is thinking of going third party. Hmm... maybe Bloomberg knew something. Nah!

Zee-Row

Banned
If this were true Wada would of been ejected out of Square Enix a long time ago , Nintendo's failures are small compared to Square Enix.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
But the Board of Directors also took salary cuts because they all make decisions collectively. Iwata could not be removed, without or before, any Board of Director members themselves.
Why wouldn't Yamauchi just oust all of them, if he's that unhappy with Iwata's performance?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

This.

The Iwata thing isn't much of a revelation really. I know gamer fans are sitting going "bu bu bu he saved nintendo! Wii!! DS!!!! "

but a board of directors don't give a fart in a cup about that - they care about this :

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/charts/charts.asp?ticker=7974:JP

If the boards faith has been shook by the 3DS and they are perhaps concerned by the Wii U and the apparent apathy so far to the first showing then coupled with the Wii/DS going stale then , as with every CEO, he'll have a finite amount of time to sort things out based on the boards patience.

I think we all really like Iwata, but we need to seperate that from the reality of his job. This isn't a revelation, it's a reality of his role. Hope he can turn things around and any rumoured 3DS craziness doesn't dig a deeper hole.

.... what? Of course he can be removed. Some BoD members might go with him possibly, but that is NOT a prerequist or requirement and he ABSOLUTELY can be removed without no other BoD member losing their post.
Nintendo's failures are small compared to Square Enix.

.... and what the hell does that have to do with the price of fish? Nintendo board of directors aren't looking at their own decline but reassuring themselves that "ah, but at least we aren't as bad as SE!" or any other company for that matter. Gah.

Varth said:
Why the hell are you posting and not writing another chapter of my fav drama?

Itoi stood on the street corner, watching the rain pour down in sheets. He lit a cigar half-heartedly, his mind in realms beyond mortal comprehension.

Then he saw the target. A bulky figure, built like a rock, wearing a large poncho that covered his figure to the point where he looked like a mossy boulder.

Itoi narrowed his eyes as the figure passed from the raining street into the alleyway. He pushed away from the lightpost he was leaning against, briskly jogging across the tear streamed road as the cars honked their disapproval from every direction.

He entered the alleyway and just managed to see a glimpse of a doorframe closing. He walked over to it and, after a moment's pause, opened it slowly.

A single, lone hallway with peeling paint and flickering lights. Itoi drew out a pistol from his coat pocket and walked forward, slowly, conscious of every squeak his wet shoes made in the silent building.

He heard voices. But he couldn't decipher them. They were low, and..almost...no, it couldn't be.

He walked ever so slowly to the doorframe, his back against the wall, and peered around the corner to confirm his fears. He was vindicated; the image of a red tie, adorned with the initials "DK," swung back and forth within his vision.

Itoi ran, damning caution. He may not have been the brightest bulb in Iwata's henchmen, but he knew that he was no use against a grown cartoon gorilla.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Elginer said:
The LULZ laughs keep on coming with this site. Come on now, next they're going to say that Nintendo is thinking of going third party. Hmm... maybe Bloomberg knew something. Nah!
Not big enough. We need to envision Nintendo shutting down, selling all their IPs (including that treasure trove of prototypes they are sitting on) and Miyamoto retiring.

MisterHero

Lance Bone Path said:
Why wouldn't Yamauchi just oust all of them, if he's that unhappy with Iwata's performance?
He only has as much influence as the share of Nintendo he owns, so about 10%, and he could probably buy out other board members' shares if he wanted

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
DCharlie said:
.... what? Of course he can be removed. Some BoD members might go with him possibly, but that is NOT a prerequist or requirement and he ABSOLUTELY can be removed without no other BoD member losing their post.

I am not saying otherwise. But people are overlooking that the Board of Directors are equally to blame here. Including Miyamoto who green-lighted some of the horrid decisions affecting the 3DS. I meant to say, if someone is going down, it is not just Iwata.

Emitan

FlashbladeGAF said:
who the hell is making fun of Toph

:p
9aWYx.png

Zee-Row

Banned
Yamauchi running Nintendo again is a scary thought , his business tactics might have worked in the 80s through the mid 90s but hes basically the main reason Nintendo has never been able to repair its relationship with 3rd partys.

Varth

Lance Bone Path said:

He's waiting for the final showdown. He will stand on his chair and put his hands around mouth to amplify his voice, and then, slowly and forming the words very carefully, he will say: HEY, IWATA, WHY DON'T YOU SUCK MY TINY YELLOW BALLS?

Itoi stood on the street corner, watching the rain pour down in sheets. He lit a cigar half-heartedly, his mind in realms beyond mortal comprehension.

Then he saw the target. A bulky figure, built like a rock, wearing a large poncho that covered his figure to the point where he looked like a mossy boulder.

Itoi narrowed his eyes as the figure passed from the raining street into the alleyway. He pushed away from the lightpost he was leaning against, briskly jogging across the tear streamed road as the cars honked their disapproval from every direction.

He entered the alleyway and just managed to see a glimpse of a doorframe closing. He walked over to it and, after a moment's pause, opened it slowly.

A single, lone hallway with peeling paint and flickering lights. Itoi drew out a pistol from his coat pocket and walked forward, slowly, conscious of every squeak his wet shoes made in the silent building.

He heard voices. But he couldn't decipher them. They were low, and..almost...no, it couldn't be.

He walked ever so slowly to the doorframe, his back against the wall, and peered around the corner to confirm his fears. He was vindicated; the image of a red tie, adorned with the initials "DK," swung back and forth within his vision.

Itoi ran, damning caution. He may not have been the brightest bulb in Iwata's henchmen, but he knew that he was no use against a grown cartoon gorilla.

Insta-classic. Moar, I say!

MisterHero

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I am not saying otherwise. But people are overlooking that the Board of Directors are equally to blame here. Including Miyamoto who green-lighted some of the horrid decisions affecting the 3DS. I meant to say, if someone is going down, it is not just Iwata.
There may be more or less affecting the 3DS than the hardware itself.

The price is a huge deal, but shareholder speculation can be truly idiotic.

Expecting the 3DS to sell at the pace that GBA and DS did, even at a more practical price, was freaking nonsense.

People are going crazy because the 3DS isn't selling a unit every 20 seconds

Varth said:
Insta-classic. Moar, I say!

An unknown man walked into Nintendo headquarters, his pace brisk and purposeful. His suit was impeccable. The man was skinny, tall; athletic and yet somewhat clumsy.

He walked up to the front desk.

"I have an appointment with Miyamoto-san," he said in perfect Japanese. The secretary looked down at her desktop computer doubtfully, noting the rarity of the request.

Her eyes scanned the schedule.

"I don't see any..." she said.

As the words left her mouth, the screen flickered momentarily, and her eyes focused on the line she was looking for.

"Well, it looks like you have clearance," she said. "He's upstairs in the fifteenth floor."

The man nodded once and walked over to the elevator, stumbling as the entered. He pressed the glowing button with a gloved hand. After a moment the elevator arrived, and he exited the elevator and looked around the fifteenth floor.

The office had a dozen glass-walled offices, each with members of high Nintendo officers. But he was looking for the top of the crop.

He spotted Miyamoto. He quickly walked to the office, his line of sight without flaw. Miyamoto looked up from his desk, looked down, and then looked up again in alarm.

The man, mid stride, reached up to his face and pulled, parting a mask and voice modulator from his face. It revealed a black mustache and a green hat.

Then he slammed open the glass door to Miyamoto's office, reached into his coat pocket, aimed and fired.

"I'mma Luigi," said Luigi scornfully to the bloodstained corpse. Then he jumped out the window and ran for his life.

Alrus

Heavy said:
Well then I agree... I doubt most of this stuff turns out being true, especially the second analog add-on/redesign with second analog rumor, but I'm not going to completely 100% dismiss it.
What irked me was all the calls to ban the site in these threads, and there were tons of posts like that.

Websites that post bullshit rumors or leaks should be banned.

Emitan

hardcastle_mccormick said:
An unknown man walked into Nintendo headquarters, his pace brisk and purposeful. His suit was impeccable. The man was skinny, tall; athletic and yet somewhat clumsy.

He walked up to the front desk.

"I have an appointment with Miyamoto-san," he said in perfect Japanese. The secretary looked down at her desktop computer doubtfully, noting the rarity of the request.

Her eyes scanned the schedule.

"I don't see any..." she said.

As the words left her mouth, the screen flickered momentarily, and her eyes focused on the line she was looking for.

"Well, it looks like you have clearance," she said. "He's upstairs in the fifteenth floor."

The man nodded once and walked over to the elevator, stumbling as the entered. He pressed the glowing button with a gloved hand. After a moment the elevator arrived, and he exited the elevator and looked around the fifteenth floor.

The office had a dozen glass-walled offices, each with members of high Nintendo officers. But he was looking for the top of the crop.

He spotted Miyamoto. He quickly walked to the office, his line of sight without flaw. Miyamoto looked up from his desk, looked down, and then looked up again in alarm.

The man, mid stride, reached up to his face and pulled, parting a mask and voice modulator from his face. It revealed a black mustache and a green hat.

Then he slammed open the glass door to Miyamoto's office, reached into his coat pocket, aimed and fired.

"I'mma Luigi," said Luigi scornfully to the bloodstained corpse. Then he jumped out the window and ran for his life.
can i subscribe to your newsletter

Somnid

A Japanese CEO being removed by a board vote? What the hell are you guys smoking? He'll resign long before than happens.

Billychu said:
can i subscribe to your newsletter

(Last one)

Iwata walked into the warehouse without a second thought. He knew what had to be done. He knew the implications, and yet, it was time to face his adversary.

The warehouse was bare, save the large door he walked through and several flickering lightbulbs; swarms of bugs rotated around their heat source like planets in a massive interplanetary cornucopia. The room was silent, save the crickets outside. A small echo from the rest of the world, hidden beyond those cold metal walls.

A figure moved out of the shadows. His stature and garb unmistakable.

"Mario," said Iwata.

"EEE-wata!" said Mario.

"You've made quite a fuss," said Iwata.

"Nintendo's-a finished," said Mario, sneering. "You'll-a never bounc-a back now."

"Why would you sabotage your own company?" asked Iwata calmly. "The man who birthed you? The people who made you what you are?"

"You-sa have'd turned me into a filthy balloon," said Mario, pacing about the room. The flickering light flashed across his face, flushing floating shadows into every carefully drawn and rendered pore. "We are all yoursa zoo to trot out to make-a these a millions. These-a corruption stopsa here."

Iwata walked forward.

"We could have worked together," said Iwata. "You and me. Can't you see? We could have been the perfect partners, going to even greater heights. You've thrown that all away for some silly call for freedom? There's no freedom in this dirty, blood caked world of ours. Only profits, and the purple lunchboxes taped together to make that a reality."

Mario reached into his overalls and pulled out a gun.

"Donta come any closer," he warned.

"Don't you see?" asked Iwata, stopping, his hands out in appeal. "We're stronger than ever. Miyamoto has moved on and we can accept that. The press can be forgotten. Nintendo is stronger than your silly games. We can still rise to new heights. The game's not over yet."

"No," said Mario, his eyes changing as he realized the implications of Iwata's words. "No, it's-a not."

Then he pulled back the pistol, held it against the temple of his polygonal forehead, and fired. He was dead before his aliased head hit the floor.

Iwata walked forward and stood mournfully over the body of his former mascot. The saga was over. Nintendo wasn't finished, but Iwata knew, his soul was damaged. In some ways, Mario had really won.

watershed

Banned
I called this rigt after the first article appeared. I said one of the parts would be aboit Iwata resigning. This stuff isn't insider scoops its trolling fiction.

Boney

Banned
The introduction of fictional characters and completely forgetting about 01net kinda made them boring...

I'll still have the first 2 chapters in my heart though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom