• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

01Net's Fifth Nintendo Article: Iwata On The Ejection Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShockingAlberto said:
The theory that this is, say, an engineer or someone at Nintendo that is passing on gossip or merely thinks he could do a better job running things makes the most sense to me. Maybe he had an idea for a dual-analog attachment and is describing it as necessary so the idea gets out there and he thinks Nintendo will have to take his idea.

The difficulty I have is that I find it hard to believe an engineer or other lower-level employee at NCL would be in a position to build up a relationship with somewhere like 01Net, and I would be very surprised if a higher-ranking employee would go to somewhere like 01Net to try and do whatever it is the "source" thinks they're achieving here.

I can certainly see 01Net getting lots of interesting info from contacts at other French companies (which is, I believe, where it's rumoured their info on Vita and Wii U dev hardware came from) but getting anything significant from NCL? Nah. And once you venture outside NCL, there's the question of how accurate the "source" is when talking about the internal workings of NCL and its board, and how much is them just passing on office gossip.

StuBurns

Banned
You don't cut the price on a platform before you release a revision, and you don't cut a CEO's wages before you fire him. Bullshit.

hardcastle_mccormick said:
Iwata slammed his fists onto the table in visible fury, his body quivering with rage. Miyamoto watched in sedentary boredom.

"How did they find out!" he screamed ruthlessly, shaking his fist at some unknown god or demon. "How the hell did they know?"

The room was silent. The cold steel walls were no solace from the cruel fate that had begotten him. Life, he considered, was just a series of ill-begotten moments that were quickly falling to a wayside.

"We can still find out who talked," said Miyamoto. "The source had to come from inside Nintendo. There's no other way."

"The source will be watching our every move," said Iwata, approaching Miyamoto, his finger quivering. "They have more secrets than we could ever dream of withholding. How could we possibly find out who did it without setting off the press?"

Itoi, who had been in the back of the room the entire time, stepped forward.

"Don't you worry, boss," he said, his voice a menacing growl. "I'll find out who done it."

Iwata relaxed immediately. Get a writer on the writers' case. Perfect. He turned away from them and looked over the Kyoto city scape. Things could work out in the end.

Fixed.

Great stuff btw.

StuBurns said:
You don't cut the price on a platform before you release a revision, and you don't cut a CEO's wages before you fire him. Bullshit.

It's not just a price cut - it's a swingeing price cut that has affected their profitability (losing money on each system sold), coupled with a very public mea culpa and a program to compensate early adopters, as well as revised ad campaigns focusing on other system features and forthcoming games.

It's a drastic move that is calculated to rapidly deal with a set of early problems before they run into their first holiday season and before the narrative for the platform is set.

It's certainly not something you do, only to follow up 6 months later with a drastic platform redesign that fucks over your early adopters and all the people who just bought into your platform...

StevieP

Banned
TestOfTide said:
The one analog stick is the reason? REALLY? Not the more glaring problems such as:

- Ridiculously inflated price that decided not based on cost, but because they openly thought that they could sell something for more just because people were hyped about it.

True. And they fixed the price.
- Crappy graphics. The device has some neat shader effects but doesn't have nearly enough RAM or powerful enough CPU and GPU. It was supposed to be because of battery power, except we still got..

Graphics mean nothing to the mass market. Especially on a portable. It's a generational leap from the DS, and is easier to get visual results out of than the GC/Wii was in some ways.

- Shitty battery life. Nintendo should have either gotten more efficient batteries or made room for a more powerful one.

You have absolutely *no* idea how battery tech works. More efficient battery? No, they'd have to make the device bigger to fit a bigger battery. Or remove a component (such as an analog stick?) to create more room. There is no "more efficient" battery, for the most part. Battery technology has far underpaced mobile technology in the past decade.

Especially for a device that's essentially powering 3 screens and an always-on wifi connection. Making it bigger is the only option.

- Aesthetic design that literally damages the main feature of your handheld.
Enh. Launch hardware tax. That's still better than, say, rings of death. And both are fixed for free.

BurntPork

Banned
One bad year after six amazing years is enough to fire Iwata?

Having only one analog stick is 3DS's biggest problem?

Screwing over more than 5 million customers to add a second stick will lead to success?

Im_out_kgkd45.gif

-Pyromaniac- said:
You guys are trying too hard to make 01net a banned site. Didn't they break the Wii-U? They should stickerrrrrround.

Not saying all these articles aren't stupid though.
Agreed. The 932525 "can we ban this site now please?" posts just come off pathetic, I'm sorry but it's true. 01net got legit Vita specs and Wii U info before anyone else. Doesn't matter if it was from Ubisoft or whoever, still broke a huge story before any other outlet, yet people are acting like the site is a complete joke. This is sad.

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:
Agreed. The 932525 "can we ban this site now please?" just come off pathetic, I'm sorry but it's true. 01net got legit Vita specs and Wii U info before anyone else. Doesn't matter if it was from Ubisoft or whoever, still broke a huge story before any other outlet, yet people are acting like the site is a complete joke. This is sad.

No, these articles are a complete joke. Ubisoft wouldn't have any idea about Iwata.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Theoretically. If shareholders demanded a changing of the guards. Satoru Iwata and several Board of Directors, including Shigeru Miyamoto, and Nobuo Nagai would be asked to be demoted? Those three names are probably most linked to most of the 3DS troubles.

Furthermore, Nintendo has infallible security measures. There are never any leaks from Japan. NEVER!

TestOfTide said:
The one analog stick is the reason? REALLY? Not the more glaring problems such as:

- Ridiculously inflated price that decided not based on cost, but because they openly thought that they could sell something for more just because people were hyped about it. (they fixed this problem. no need to mention it. ever.)
- Crappy graphics. (welcome to the wonderful world of nintendo handhelds. let me show you around.)
- Shitty battery life. (5 hours isnt the worst. its not DS level good, but, it cant be worse than PSP / Vita? which im sure isnt gonna hinder its sales.)
- Aesthetic design that literally damages the main feature of your handheld. (put a cloth between the screens when you close it. or, if you dont want to do that, dont put pressure on the system when its closed. not like its ok that it supposedly scratches itself, but its also not the reason 3DS isn't selling.)

the only reason i can see that it isnt selling is because there are no games that people want. not because of the reasons above. crappy graphics. haha. oh my.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Why are these articles being reposted here?

Hey guys, I know an engineer at Nintendo, too, and he just told me Nintendo is firing Mario. YUP LOOK AT MY SHITTY NEWS SITE GUYS.

[Nintex]

BurntPork said:
One bad year after six amazing years is enough to fire Iwata?

Having only one analog stick is 3DS's biggest problem?

Screwing over more than 5 million customers to add a second stick will lead to success?
Now now, you'd ask for his head after a Skyward Sword delay.

Heavy said:
Agreed. The 932525 "can we ban this site now please?" posts just come off pathetic, I'm sorry but it's true. 01net got legit Vita specs and Wii U info before anyone else. Doesn't matter if it was from Ubisoft or whoever, still broke a huge story before any other outlet, yet people are acting like the site is a complete joke. This is sad.
Actually didn't Gamepro leak the story intially and then IGN and multiple other places started leaking info on the Wii U. I think 01 Net was the only place to get all of the details instead of only a part of the details.

Instro

ShockingAlberto said:
For the most part, I don't think they made anything up. A lot of things they have posted in this series of articles has made sense or corroborates what we already know.

That said, there's parts that are particularly outlandish. We don't know if the leaker was making things up, if there was miscommuication, or if the writer added in their own biases and supposition.

The theory that this is, say, an engineer or someone at Nintendo that is passing on gossip or merely thinks he could do a better job running things makes the most sense to me. Maybe he had an idea for a dual-analog attachment and is describing it as necessary so the idea gets out there and he thinks Nintendo will have to take his idea.
The problem I have with this is, why would a Japanese person working at Nintendo have connections to a small french site? If someone wanted to talk it's more likely they would leak info to Japanese sources or start posting shit on 2ch no?

It's not crazy to think that some or all the stuff they have posted recently might be true, but what I do find hard to believe that they have a source who is corroborating things that you would normally see as speculation on gaming sites like GAF.

At best I'm inclined to think that this is speculation from their infamous Ubisoft source, rather than info coming from someone working at Nintendo.

Heavy said:
I saw you post this in one of the other 01net threads. Keep in mind that 01net was not the first to post info about the WiiU, they were scooped by several sites. Also they got the RAM rumor wrong about the Vita.

BurntPork

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
Theoretically. If shareholders demanded a changing of the guards. Satoru Iwata and several Board of Directors, including Shigeru Miyamoto, and Nobuo Nagai would be asked to be demoted? Those three names are probably most linked to most of the 3DS troubles.

Furthermore, Nintendo has infallible security measures. There are never any leaks from Japan. NEVER!
But most of this stuff would have to be leaks from Japan...

HEY WAIT A MINUTE

AceBandage said:
Yes... a French site has close ties with Nintendo Japanese employees.
What does their country of origin have to do with it? Maybe they have a source in NOA who has friends at NOJ (whatever Nintendo of Japan is called) or maybe they have a guy from Nintendo France who knows a guy from NOJ or maybe any other of the countless possible scenarios... jesus christ.

StevieP

Banned
AceBandage said:
Yes... a French site has close ties with Nintendo Japanese employees.

Especially higher-up Japanese employees that would have the kind of information that the board of directors would. Yep.

What does their country of origin have to do with it?

The stuff they've gotten "right" (Vita/WiiU info) has pretty much been guaranteed to come from Ubisoft. That makes sense. A lot of this does not.

Maybe they have a source in NOA who has friends at NOJ

Short of Reggie (who probably doesn't know about Iwata's situation either) this information is pure speculation.

BY2K

Membero Americo
BurntPork said:
I don't get mad over delays because they usually come with a good reason.

Besides, Nintendo learned since Twilight Princess.

Nintendo announced Skyward Sword for November 20th. It's coming out November 20th.

StuBurns said:

Hmm, this just leaves me wondering what Ken Kutaragi's salary was after he was given a new job.

Azure J

Iwata going on the chopping block is easily one of the most insane things that could happen for a shakeup at Nintendo. Say what you will about the direction the company has taken post Gamecube, but the man is insightful and very sharp on the uptake in regards to reading and reacting to the market as well as genuinely believing in his craft/games in general. I just wish if his ideas or mandates would be quicker on the uptake throughout the company so maybe folks could feel a little more reassured in Nintendo stuff versus fear mongering and searching for scraps a la this week of articles.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jman2050 said:
Yokoi has risen from the grave and is out to enact his revenge...
I'm picturing him like Darkman.. able to change his face, and terrorize Nintendo management for having him killed.

StevieP said:
Especially higher-up Japanese employees that would have the kind of information that the board of directors would. Yep.

The stuff they've gotten "right" (Vita/WiiU info) has pretty much been guaranteed to come from Ubisoft. That makes sense. A lot of this does not.

Short of Reggie (who probably doesn't know about Iwata's situation either) this information is pure speculation.
So because it "doesn't make sense" and because you're "pretty sure" their source from the Vita/Wii U breaks were from Ubisoft, GAF should bring out the pitch forks and the ban the site? Does that make sense? No use arguing with you guys.

MisterHero

clashfan said:
Wow, this is some woodward and bernstein type of reporting!
Indeed, it's genius really.

The news doesn't even have to be real, it just has to instill enough fear to motivate the more hapless board members to do something stupid.

[Nintex]

Nintendo should hire Tak Fuji, no reason why just do it.

Billychu said:
I remember several people on GAF stating that Nintendo basically admitted it was Ubisoft spreading the rumors.
Everyone knows that, leaks come from Ubisoft or SEGA and the original Xbox was leaked by Konami.

Emitan

Heavy said:
So because it "doesn't make sense" and because you're "pretty sure" their source from the Vita/Wii U breaks were from Ubisoft, GAF should bring out the pitch forks and the ban the site? Does that make sense? No use arguing with you guys.
I remember several people on GAF stating that Nintendo basically admitted it was Ubisoft spreading the rumors.

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:

Not necessarily to ban it, but to consider this article useless at the very least.

Edit: beaten above.

mantidor

Heavy said:
What does their country of origin have to do with it? Maybe they have a source in NOA who has friends at NOJ (whatever Nintendo of Japan is called) or maybe they have a guy from Nintendo France who knows a guy from NOJ or maybe any other of the countless possible scenarios... jesus christ.

I don't think you understand the magnitude if this leak if it were true. If something like this would happen, you can be sure not even the employes would know about it. These people (01net) better have a really, really good source, because knowing specs is far easier, the specs have to leak because many people in many levels have to know about them, but the people that know who is getting booted in the company board is a much, much restricted group.

But well this is "game journalism", it implies a LOL every time anyone mentions those two words together. You can be sure that a respected newspaper will wait even if they have a very trustworthy source if they get news like, Steve Jobs resigning.

hardcastle_mccormick said:
Yes. Not necessarily banning the site but thinking that they're full of crock.
StevieP said:
Not necessarily to ban it, but to consider this article useless at the very least.

Edit: beaten above.
Well then I agree... I doubt most of this stuff turns out being true, especially the second analog add-on/redesign with second analog rumor, but I'm not going to completely 100% dismiss it.
What irked me was all the calls to ban the site in these threads, and there were tons of posts like that.

Somnid

Heavy said:

No one appreciates the hostile devil's advocacy. This site doesn't need or deserve the benefit of the doubt.

So the CEO who personally took the blame for the 3DS price mistake and deducted his own salary to cut losses while the other CEOs usually just fire workers who just were following orders, is goona be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom