• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100% complete unreleased games

nick_f

LEGO Galidor: Defenders of the Outer Dimension for PS2. Passed EA testing and SCEE certification back in 2003, but was canned before release as the TV show the game was based on had flopped.

(also, the game was terrible)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Mijamoto stated in different interviews that Zelda 3 as well as Ocarina of Time Ura were both done.
Zelda 3 was held back due to Dragon Quest releasing the same year, and later for some reason remodeled into AlttP, while Ura Zelda was just cancelled due the commercial failure of the N64-DD.

:(

Mijamoto stated in different interviews that Zelda 3 as well as Ocarina of Time Ura were both done.
Zelda 3 was held back due to Dragon Quest releasing the same year, and later for some reason remodeled into AlttP, while Ura Zelda was just cancelled due the commercial failure of the N64-DD.

I always thought Ura was just Master Quest, I had no idea it was an actual expansion

Didn't Ura Zelda became lately Ocarina of Time: Master Quest that ended up coming for the GCN?

Now... A Link to the Past for NES is something I really want to see. It would push the hardware to beyond it's boundaries.

With how late those were released I highly doubt it.

I do however bet that Super Monkey Ball was being ported to the Dreamcast.

Toe Jam and Earl 3 was really far into development on the Dreamcast before it was moved to the XBox. But I don't think it was in a complete state. The game looked really amazing too, in some ways better than the Xbox version.

1upsuper

FF II on the NES? I believe that one was ready but they wanted to push the SNES right?
Mother aka Earthbound Beginnings was also complete but never released.
Although both of these...haven't aged well...

Edit: Oh wait, completely unreleased anywhere. Ugh. Ignore me. Thrill Kill then? That one was ready right?

They've both aged just fine.

With how late those were released I highly doubt it.

I do however bet that Super Monkey Ball was being ported to the Dreamcast.

Super Monkey Ball on DC would've definitely been a no-brainer :(

I edited my previous post with Gunvalkyrie, I have heard rumors that it was 100% complete. I also heard some stories that Super Monkey Ball may have been finished on the Dreamcast as well.

Oh shit, didn't know there were rumors of GV being complete. The lightgun in one hand, controller in other control scheme still sounds insanely ambitious & innovative to this day

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh shit, didn't know there were rumors of GV being complete. The lightgun in one hand, controller in other control scheme still sounds insanely ambitious & innovative to this day

Wiimote/nunchuk is pretty much the same thing.

Before the Xbox came into the picture, Gunvalkyrie was going to be released for PC; I don't know why they scrapped the PC version, I guess MS wanted a console exclusive or they didn't want the mouse/keyboard version to make the console version look bad or something.

Wasn't Star Wars Battlefront III like 90%-100% completed before getting canned?

Not according to the people making it. They said it was at least 6 months away from being completed. When Battlefront was announced 2 years ago they interviewed the guys from Free Radical to see what they thought and they revealed the project was way further from completion than a lot of people claimed.

Farks!

The PlayStation version of Baldur's Gate was more or less complete, was reportedly cancelled due to ridiculous loading times and the fact that a single save game took up an entire memory card (!).

Gameplay footage

Not exactly unreleased, but MotorStorm Apocalypse was canceled forever in Japan due to the 2011 earthquake/tsunami.

That reminds me, Disaster Report 4 was finished and was set for release the day before the 2011 earthquake/tsunami. The game had to be delayed a few months, then the tragedy happened. The game wasn't 100% complete, hence the delay, but it was very close. Irem completely cancelled the game and went out of business.

I just read a silver lining, however - According to Wikipedia, ex-Irem staff formed a new company and are going to release the game on PS4 at some point very soon, though.

galvatron

The Red Star's unreleased Xbox version seemed 100% and runs at 480p compared to the officially released PS2 480i version. I've heard there's slowdown on the PS2 version as well.

It's been said that Tabula Rasa was 100% complete before a complete rewrite happend which resulted in the game that eventually got released. Heard the theme changed drastically.

I wonder if Nintendo killed any Virtual Boy games because of, well, you know.

There's a game pictured on the back of the box with a dragon that never came out. I heard it wasn't far along, though

Final Fantasy II for the NES. Was fully translated and magazines even had advertisements for it but was scrapped due to the SNES releasing.

I wonder if Nintendo killed any Virtual Boy games because of, well, you know.

Zero Racers, Bound High, and Dragon Hopper are the famous ones that were finished but not released because Nintendo decided to give up on the system instead of trying to save it. A copy of the Bound High rom leaked some time ago, but the other two are still MIA. I'd still pay a good amount to play Zero Racers, Nintendo... that game looked really cool, it's a 3d futuristic tube-flying racing game on the VB with wireframe graphics like those in Red Alarm.

hatchx

Banned
Not quite done, but presumably very close - Donkey Kong Racing for GameCube. Set for release in 2002, but Rare was sold to Microsoft in 2002...

I doubt it was very far. Rare had delayed starfox adventures a bunch, and kameo, grabbed by the ghoulies and maybe even perfect dark were also presumably in development.

I want a console release of Faster, Harder, More Challenging Q*Bert.

If you're wondering what the Hell I'm talking about, there's a quick look at it here.

It was one of the surprising things I learned about recently and want to play.

But seriously, it needs to be released. It's everything you didn't know you wanted Q*Bert to be.

By the way, the creator of Q*Bert created this version of Q*Bert and did nothing with it other than have it in his home for.. well.. about 20 years.

Crysis 3 for WiiU, because EA
I think this one wasn't finished, but was planned for release - Crytek had ported the engine to Wii U but I don't believe the game itself was actually fully ported. This was at the beginning of the Wii U and they wouldn't skip a big release like that if it was actually done.

Crimson Dragon for Xbox 360 - the full game is playable if you got it from the marketplace in Japan during late 2012 - it was removed super quick, only the trial game could be downloaded but could be unlocked on a hacked system. Unfortunately the people that have this version, despite it being a digital release, have not released it publicly if that gives any indication for short it was up for. Gameplay footage makes it obvious how much was taken to the final Xbone version.

Sayad

The Amiga version of Putty Squad was complete, they even sent out review copies but the game was never published.

Top Bottom