• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100% complete unreleased games

Aldynes

hqdefault.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3 ! .....running on SEGA SATURN !!! made directly by Yu Suzuki, game has been showed to the press and all, been cancelled due to the arrival of the Dreamcast, Yu Suzuki was apparently pissed off , instead we received an ass port by Genki on the dreamcast :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

Edit: Sorry it was my mistake, game hasn't been close to being finish and thus never been showed to the press, my bad !!

finley83

Banned
Chip's Challenge 2 went unreleased for about 22 years due to some weird rights issue. The creator thought that it would only get released after his death.

It eventually saw release on Steam a couple of years ago.

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero was completed and review copies sent out to magazines, who gave it middling reviews. Valve then cancelled the release and remade the game. The unreleased version eventually came out on Steam as a free gift for owners of the game called "Deleted Scenes".

MaxiLive

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero was completed and review copies sent out to magazines, who gave it middling reviews. Valve then cancelled the release and remade the game. The unreleased version eventually came out on Steam as a free gift for owners of the game called "Deleted Scenes".

What?! I played rather a lot of condition zero (mainly on Xbox...) I had no idea deleted scenes was a different game! I just checked my Steam account and there it is... I'm going to have to look more into this.

Thanks for the heads up!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This was nowhere close to "100% complete", though.
It's very obviously buggy and unfinished, as they said in their own livestream of the game..

Ah.. my bad. I do recognize that this thread is about those rare holy grails that were done but not released.

Galdius

There was a finished Lamborghini game for the Xbox but EA bought the developer and decided to not release the game so that NFS would have less competition.

Deft Beck

Toe Jam and Earl 3 was really far into development on the Dreamcast before it was moved to the XBox. But I don't think it was in a complete state. The game looked really amazing too, in some ways better than the Xbox version.

When I attended a panel with the Toe Jam and Earl creator at PAX East 2017, he told the audience that SEGA plopped a copy of DK64 in front of him and told him to make his game more like that. That's why 3 was so different to the other games.

When I spoke to him individually, he said that they even had online play working on the DC build.

Lukemon

There was a finished Lamborghini game for the Xbox but EA bought the developer and decided to not release the game so that NFS would have less competition.

This was going to be my contribution to the thread – I know it was finished because I reviewed it for gamesTM waaaay back in the day, that's how late it was cancelled. Shame too, as it was really good. Might even still have the disc kicking around somewhere, actually.

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel 2 & Black Isle's Fallout 3 aka Van Buren, both for PS2. Not sure if 100% but both games were said to have been just shy of ready to go.

Yup. Fully completed in 2011 but shelved by the double whammy of the Konami buyout and the Tohoku earthquake. Really hope they finally release this as a Steam/PSN/eShop port at some point.

No, it was 2010. Content complete along with the three level monkey shines and ten level dactyl story DLCs. Unfortunately, the engine alone is reason enough that it will never see release on a console, The Wiiware version performance was not there, but that project was in a permant hiatus long before the earthquake.

consoul

I don't think it was finished. I played the version that was leaked and clearly there were man hours left to finish the game.
There were at least two widely circulated leaked builds that were clearly incomplete. However, the build of Thrill Kill that Paradox provided to Activision for evaluation of the engine after EA canned the game was essentially complete.

OmegaDL50

Dragon Quest 4 (PS1) - I believe this was pretty much ready to launch when suddenly Arte Piazza and Enix USA kind of closed shop leaving this one to never launch(until Nintendo and DS stepped in many years later). May be off on the details and whether the localization was truly that far along though...

Dragon Quest IV did in fact come out in Japan for the PSX, the only thing that was canceled was the English localization, this was because Heartbeat closed its video game development operations before the localization and translation could be completed.

While the DS version did come out however it's not without a caveat. The Party chat feature was removed. While some may think it wasn't a major loss, the party chat script in itself was comprised of slightly over 24000 lines of text, which was the equivalent of half the games entire script.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I remember an interview with a former pandemic head employee who basically said that Star Wars battlefront 3 was basically in its final stages, but then got scrapped for some unknown reason.

What I would give to play that version. There's even a large amount of footage online

Jayveer

My most wanted game that is in this state is Conker: Twelve Tales. The game they were making before they eventually turned it into Conker's Bad Fur Day. I'm not sure if it was actually 100% but from all the videos I've seen it looks close to it. I always keep an eye on AssemblerGames hoping one day something from this game will turn up.

Wilsongt

I want to say that Mistwalker's ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat for DS was pretty close to done for NA release was scrapped.

Ducktroll said it was trash so that is probably what killed its releash. ;)

Darkangel

I don't know if this counts, but the beta version of Resident Evil 2 (Resident Evil 1.5) was nearly 80% complete before it was scrapped.

s_mirage

There's a fair few Mega Drive/Genesis games:

Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures
Hardcore (by DICE, not completely sure if this was 100%)
Lobo
ResQ
Time Trax

Mega CD:

Myst
Super Strike Trilogy

Bazry

Did we ever find out what the Ubisoft game on Wii U was that they said was finished?

EDIT: Nevermind was answered on this page

I've no idea how close to release it actually was, but I always feel like Black & White for PS1 was almost done and then it got cancelled.

Wasn't Star Wars Battlefront III, the one done by Free Radical Design pretty much 100% complete but it was scrapped? I thought I read somewhere that a person working for Free Radical stated that.

komaruR

Wasnt there was some game developed for psp and was never released but the playable iso or whatever media was found later from the dev cleaning up storage. I know it was posted on gaf a long time ago. Couldnt recall but it was one of those bigger known ip put on psp but never got released.

Peltz

Bound High on Virtual Boy. It's an amazing game too!

I flashed onto a cart and played it on my VB. It's secretly the best game on the system.

Ultratech

According to one of the Rare interviews in Retro Gamer, they developed Killer Instinct 2 for SNES and it was fully QA'd, tested. and handed to Nintendo.

But they opted not to release it for whatever reason and it never saw the light of day again.
(Presumably because Nintendo had moved on to the N64 at that point.)

Kent

Crimson Dragon on Xbox 360 (the version with Kinect controls) was finished. It got accidentally listed very briefly on the Japanese Xbox Live Arcade marketplace after the final build was uploaded and passed certification. This probably counts as it wasn't intended to be an official release.

It wasn't like the other Fable games though, this was Fable Legends. I love all three original Fable games but Fable Legends just never looked that interesting tbh.

Fable Legends was also pretty strictly a multiplayer game. And at least going by what I played at GDC, another core difference from the other Fable games is that it actually seemed to be at all good.

From what I hear, the game was basically in a state where they were polishing and adjusting balance before it got canceled via Lionhead being offed - it was effectively release-imminent.

Some mentions here aren't complete unreleased titles, but rather cancelled during very advanced development stages.

Welcome to modern game development. If a game has online functionality nowadays, you can expect it to release during early beta and be patched up later.

Only completely-offline games really have a chance at releasing "completed."

Top Bottom