• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100% complete unreleased games

Cubix: Robots for Everyone: Showdown for GBA - I worked on this game back in the day. It was an RPG set in the Cubix universe, where you could capture the robots you were fighting and use them yourself against other robots. The game was completed, and even got reviewed in Nintendo Power, but before it could get released the publisher (3DO) went out of business.

Ahasverus

Yeah but it doesn't mean anything in terms of assets. From what I gathered here and there it probably wasn't playable from start to finish.

The most finalized backgrounds from the second half of the game are in the japanese BH2 demo and a lot of them are missing/unfinished. The same probably goes for voices, cut-scenes, scripts, bosses, etc.
Thankfully it will be playable soon thanks to fans

Mahonay

Banned
We put it on the cover of Xbox Nation. Microsoft showed us a demonstration of the game at E3 one year, and we all sort of walked away underwhelmed. I don't remember specifics, but there didn't seem to be much there.

After the preview, we debated changing covers. But E3 issues were always hellish and, regardless, True Fantasy was a solid cover candidate. A few months later, I think, we learned the game had been canceled.

If I had to bet, I would say the game was not close to completion.
Ah ok, that paints a much clearer picture. It was always such muddy situation from the outside.

Really appreciate this insight. Thanks dude.

Lukemon

There are retail-silver versions floating around though, not just the Beta Live version.

Huh, interesting. I think ours was a burned debug review disc, if memory serves. Was a long time ago! I'll have a rummage over the weekend to see if I do actually have it...

ash_ag

Not 100%, but Final Fantasy IV for the Famicom was like 80% complete before Square scrapped the whole thing to focus on the next gen. This led to Cecil Harvey's FFV on the Super Famicom being renamed "FFIV", and the rest is history.

M4cpVsU.jpg

Using modern development tools and resources, it would probably not take too long to complete. If Nintendo continues this trend of allowing old unreleased games to surface, perhaps Square Enix will take a hint.

s_mirage

I was gutted that Harrier Assault for the SEGA CD never came out, which looked ace and meant to have pushed the ASIC chip to the max.

I'm assuming that's what became Flying Nightmares. It was in adverts alongside the 3DO version but never materialised. I really would have liked to have seen how that turned out; it looked somewhere between Mig-29 and the 3DO version.

Was the Ultima 8 Expansion actually completed before they canned it ? I can never remember.

I'm pretty sure that pretty much all of it outside of a handful of design documents is completely lost now though.

AmyS

hqdefault.jpg

Virtua Fighter 3 ! .....running on SEGA SATURN !!! made directly by Yu Suzuki, game has been showed to the press and all, been cancelled due to the arrival of the Dreamcast, Yu Suzuki was apparently pissed off , instead we received an ass port by Genki on the dreamcast :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hk84nSsAv4

Haha, that's BS. Saturn VF3 was never finished. Edit: and never shown to the press.

But your screen name is awesome, love that game.

Raitaro

I asked this in another recent thread about cancelled games, but I really would love to someday get some insight into the once planned / briefly announced Super Kid Icarus on SNES and what it was meant to be or how far along it might have been.

That series has always facinated me because of its quirkyness meets ancient Greece theme and because it seems like it was just one SNES (considering this is where most other Nintendo IP got fully fleshed out) game short of becoming another staple in Nintendo's wheelhouse. The cancelled SNES game might in fact have become the Super Metroid / Link to the Past iconic entry that we would now be clamoring for on something like the SNES Classic.

Nintendo in general might be a company with vaults full of similar unfinished projects that need to see the light of day at some point now that I think about it...

Borman

Huh, interesting. I think ours was a burned debug review disc, if memory serves. Was a long time ago! I'll have a rummage over the weekend to see if I do actually have it...

I dont get the impression that there were a lot of pressed disks. Honestly, some of the evidence I have is from the internal Xboxes Microsoft used to test retail releases, which showed Lambo having it. PM me if you find anything, even if its not this :)

I'm assuming that's what became Flying Nightmares. It was in adverts alongside the 3DO version but never materialised. I really would have liked to have seen how that turned out; it looked somewhere between Mig-29 and the 3DO version.

Yep that's the one, I think once French mag ever reviewed with Mega CD version with a good score. Seem to remember JVC were going to do a Saturn version and that didn't work out either :(

flying_nightmares_large-thumb.jpg

Dunan

Remember Super Baseball Simulator 1.000, with the photon fastball, the quake hit, the ninja ball, and all those other crazy Ultra Plays? It had a SNES sequel, all translated, which never saw release. This was probably because in Japan it had real Nippon Pro Baseball teams and so was updated for the next season; in North America where it had fictional players, it wasn't really different enough to warrant being released.

Then there were two more sequels with amazing graphics and player development, but those were never officially translated.

I miss those games!

Green Yoshi

Excitebots: Trick Racing for the Nintendo Wii was never released in Europe. I wonder why.

40 Winks (Ruff&Tumble in Europe) was reviewed in some N64 magazines, but it was never released.

Lijik

on PC the game Insecticide was split up into two episodes except episode 2 never released the game was basically complete when the publisher (i think southpeak?) decided to can it. the cg cutscenes were all finished and eventually put onto youtube by the devs

its not really a good game but at the very least, the DS version is content complete despite featuring lower quality graphics so the second half isnt completely lost.

EBE

I was one of the testers on it - it was really far on. It looked amazing visually, but played less so.
Felt like half a game to me. And it also played like shit. It just wasn't fun. Not surprised it was canned. Good riddance

We seriously made it 5 pages without Half Life for Dreamcast?

It got leaked to torrents back in the day to download.

It's directly in the OP...

Now that Star Fox 2 is coming for the SNES Classic Mini and is a +20 years old cancelled title that never saw the day of light even being 100% complete at the time of decision, there are more titles on this same status? (Complete but unreleased)

As far as I remember, Half-Life for Dreamcast was completed but never released as well. So I read on a thread that Marble Madness 2 for NES was cancelled despite being finished and ready for release.

It's very likely that Wii U version of Alien: Colonial Marines was finished after being pulled off on the eve of it's release, as the cancellation annoucement said it was "indefinitely postponed."

There are more examples of games under this situation?

-shadow-

While never confirmed, with that commercial in magazines hinting to a release of Project Zero 4 on the Wii a month after it was printed back in 09 I believe, I guess I'm going with that.

Excitebots: Trick Racing for the Nintendo Wii was never released in Europe. I wonder why.
Wasn't this developed as a US exclusive game that got a release in Japan exclusively through Club Nintendo for a short time years later? That could explain why it never came here.

Borman

Pretty sure that was a just a vertical slice/concept built to show off what a complete level of a theoretical full game would be like but they didn't end up getting a greenlight for full production.

Yep, I answered that in one of these threads. It's essentially one level, plus one extra that was being prototyped, and a bunch of test stuff. Nothing else hiding in the files. Fun game though.

Deft Beck

Half Life on the Dreamcast had a lot of new assets and better graphics but the load times were absolutely atrocious.

Dachande

You are the one that's actually wrong, you can't prove a negative though.

If so, who has seen it? There are no first-hand accounts of anyone seeing anything more than a tech demo or the very early beginnings of a port, and certainly no one claiming it was basically finished. This thread is genuinely the first I've ever seen anyone claiming Saturn VF3 was anywhere near finished.

Borman

REDSLATE

The Red Star (Xbox) was fully complete, and game journalists even had access to pre-release copies. In spite if this, the game was never produced/sold for the Xbox.

Rolling for ps2. Was done and even released in Europe but the tanking of x games titles made it so it was never released in the states. Supposed to be a realistic depiction of pro rollerblading more like a skate. than aggressive inline.

Thrill Kill is one. The game was finished, but EA bought Virgin and decided that they didn't want to publish a game that violent because they thought it would hurt their image, so they canned it.

Thrill Kill did end up coming out to some degree though. Virgin used the Thrill Kill engine to make the pretty solid 4-player arena fighter Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style for the PlayStation.

Wu-Tang_-_Shaolin_Style_Coverart.png

Syriel

I dont get the impression that there were a lot of pressed disks. Honestly, some of the evidence I have is from the internal Xboxes Microsoft used to test retail releases, which showed Lambo having it. PM me if you find anything, even if its not this :)

You're talking a few dozen discs at best.

Those silvers would have been created for validation before mass production started.

Ports of Solar Jetman were due for several computer platforms and the C64, Amiga, and ST versions were complete (plus a ZX Spectrum version that was pretty far along). They were all axed due to weak sales of the NES version and only the C64 port has been leaked.

Also, this was hardly a great loss, but the SNES version of Dragon's Lair had an unreleased Genesis/MD equivalent that was seemingly finished and eventually popped up online.

What about Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill for SNES? Yes, it was a game starring President Clinton's cat. I remember seeing previews and reviews for it, but AFAIK it never came out.

The same company (Kemco) also did a game based on Fido Dido that was advertised and even reviewed but didn't make it to market before they shut down. The Genesis/MD version leaked and appears to be complete. There was also an SNES version but that hasn't made it into the wild yet.

element

BioShock Infinite had like 10 unleased prototypes, each of them looking more polished and better than the final release.
Kinda BS. Mechanic prototypes and gameplay prototypes aren't anything close to complete game.

How far along was the new Fable?
Fable Legends is a little hard to call it 'done' because it was a F2P with a content schedule, but it was in private beta for months and its public beta/release was delayed two or three times before getting canned. It was totally ready to be released.

True Fantasy Live Online seemed just about finished before it was canned.
TFLO was no where close to being done. Needed a private beta and public beta.

Mini-Racers on N64

Cubix: Robots for Everyone: Showdown for GBA - I worked on this game back in the day. It was an RPG set in the Cubix universe, where you could capture the robots you were fighting and use them yourself against other robots. The game was completed, and even got reviewed in Nintendo Power, but before it could get released the publisher (3DO) went out of business.

That's a shame because that sounds like my kind of game. I am a sucker for licensed RPGS, especially decent ones. I remember playing that Cubix game for Gamecube as a kid and enjoying it.

Borman

You're talking a few dozen discs at best.

Those silvers would have been created for validation before mass production started.

I'm aware. I work with tiny amounts of discs so it's not unusual. But it does go to show how complete it was

As someone who worked on the game, I can tell you it wasn't even close to halfway complete before it was cancelled.

I'm listening. Feel free to PM about that or other projects.

Oh god, I can't wait to see those videos!

Enjoy ;)

Syriel

I'm aware. I work with tiny amounts of discs so it's not unusual. But it does go to show how complete it was

I'm listening. Feel free to PM about that or other projects.

Enjoy ;)

I figured you knew. Mostly clarifying for the crowd here so someone doesn't read the thread and think there was a whole mass produced run just sitting around somewhere.

The test discs are used for everything from basic validation on retail test equipment to "how well do they handle getting scratched, etc."

Borman

I figured you knew. Mostly clarifying for the crowd here so someone doesn't read the thread and think there was a whole mass produced run just sitting around somewhere.

The test discs are used for everything from basic validation on retail test equipment to "how well do they handle getting scratched, etc."

When I hear dozens, my eyes light up since that is a ton of discs in my world :D

Schlorgan

Regarding Battlefront III:

Then there was Star Wars: Battlefront III, a project LucasArts entrusted to developer Free Radical, of TimeSplitters fame. Industry veteran and Free Radical founder David Doak remembers the excitement that was in the air when LucasArts pitched his team. “We were looked at like reliable hands for making shooters,” he says. “We had never done the work-for-hire thing before, and we always wanted to make our own thing. However, we could see that there was a lot of uncertainty in the industry. It’s like, ‘Well okay, that sounds like a good opportunity.’”

Free Radical pitched an ambitious design to LucasArts, in which the game would seamlessly transition from running and gunning on the ground to flying a vessel into space, where another war was being waged. “Within that, the seeds for disaster were sewn,” Doak says. “I think that core design pillar of the game was slightly untenable because of the scale.”

Free Radical worked on the Battlefront franchise for over two years, trying to get its vision to work. The art team moved on to designing assets for Battlefront IV even while Battlefront III was struggling to reach its intended vision.

Red flags were waved internally at Free Radical, but on LucasArts’ end, the game was looking like a smash hit. Development on Battlefront III seemed to be going well. “We kept getting these code drops that were amazing,” an ex-LucasArts employee remembers. “The big hook of going from ground to air to space seamlessly totally worked. Piloting a capital ship, getting out and running around in the ship’s interior, and jumping into an escape pod and rocketing down to land again – holy s---! We thought [Battlefront III] was going to turn the industry on its head. Free Radical was meeting all of their milestones. Even Jim Ward would sit in those core team meetings and would say things like, ‘So this is shipping next month, right?’ And this was 2007. This is a joke because it was looking so good, especially compared to Fracture and Force Unleashed at the time, which were just troubled the whole way. And we would all laugh, thinking, ‘Wow. If it looks this good now for a game that’s shipping in 2008, there’s not going to be any problem.’”

Difficulties arose early in 2008. Free Radical started missing milestones, and the new builds of the game that were coming in featured major stability issues. The design called for 100-player multiplayer matches. “We’d get 20 players in a match and it would just bog down,” a source close to the project says. “Then Free Radical started cutting content. They’re like, ‘Ok, we’re going to go from 100 to 50 players online. That’s still really good; it’s still more than anyone else. That’s fine. We’re going to cut this single-player campaign down in scope.’ So then the cuts started coming, which is all fairly standard stuff. But we just couldn’t get an estimate. It was starting to become apparent that they weren’t going to make the [release] date that they said they were going to make, and they weren’t being very clear about why or what the new dates would be. Internally, because this was right when Haze was shipping, we were all certain that they had pulled tons of resources off Battlefront to finish up Haze, and they wouldn’t tell us what was going on. We tried to get our producers over there and they wouldn’t let us into the building. The relationship just started fraying.”

At that time, Jim Ward stepped down as LucasArts’ president and was replaced by Darrell Rodriguez, a new overseer who a former associate sized up as “not f---ing around.” Rodriguez pushed Free Radical hard, creating a tense working relationship between the two companies.

Doak recalls this time, his words quiet and melancholy. “I wouldn’t even talk about it personally because it completely did my head in,” he says. “I think, particularly, because of the role that I was creative director and also the front man for the company, I got to do all of 
the putting on a brave face and smiling, then going behind doors and having the arguments, and then going back telling my guys we have to work harder this time. And after that thinking, ‘You’re going to miss the next milestone because I know they [LucasArts] don’t want you to pass it.’ I really hated that. It just completely stopped me from functioning. You don’t believe it’s actually a real thing until it happens to you, but I was in the midst of a nervous breakdown. Tears all over the place. It was just a really horrible time. I wasn’t there for the very end.”

In an interview with Eurogamer, Free Radical audio director Graeme Norgate revealed that LucasArts stopped funding the project around this time.

“LucasArts hadn’t paid us for six months, and were refusing to pass a milestone so we would limp along until the money finally ran out,” he said. “They knew what they were doing.”

In early 2009, Free Radical released a company video that made fun of LucasArts and Star Wars. In it, a representative of LucasArts tells a Free Radical employee, “We have to pull the game. It has become too good. You need to make it worse, or we are pulling the game. We need to make products with the Star Wars name, but with little content. It’s about making a f---ing bucket full of money, don’t you understand?” After an exchange of words, the Free Radical employee responds, “You guys are a--holes.”

“We sent Free Radical an email asking for them to remove [the video], and they refused to take it down,” a former LucasArts employee says. “That was one of the last straws for Darrell.”

Ties with Free Radical were severed, but the fate of Battlefront didn’t remain in limbo for long. LucasArts’ creative lead/creative director Adam Orth teamed with former SOCOM developer Slant Six to create a new vision for a Battlefront sequel.

The disastrous Free Radical relationship had a profound effect on LucasArts’ business moving forward, an ex-LucasArts staffer remembers. “At that time, the idea was to make [Slant Six’s] Battlefront III downloadable-only. You could not push through a new major console project at LucasArts at that time. There was no appetite for it. Even as early as 2009, the powers that be at Lucasfilm would not agree with that kind of expenditure. I think the board at Lucas had just lost their stomach for the risk there.” Slant Six’s Battlefront eventually met the same fate as Free Radical’s.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-down-a-legendary-studio.aspx?PostPageIndex=4

CloudWolf

Bonk Brink of Extinction.

To a lesser extent but very close, Rock Band Japan.

I doubt Rock Band Japan was close to being finished, we didn't even have any confirmation of songs in the game. That said, one Rock Band game I do believe was pretty much finished and then abandoned was the Pearl Jam game/expansion.

FyreWulff

I doubt Rock Band Japan was close to being finished, we didn't even have any confirmation of songs in the game. That said, one Rock Band game I do believe was pretty much finished and then abandoned was the Pearl Jam game/expansion.

We did get the leftovers w/ Pearl Jam tracks having harmonies in RB3. They were the only pre-RB3 songs to have them in the game.

Top Bottom