• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1440p is overrated by people who can't go up to 4k

.Pennywise

Banned
1440p is overrated by people who can't go up to 4k

Going from 1080p to 1440p is a 78% increase

While going from 1080p to 4k is a whopping 400% increase

People feel compelled to defend 1440p and call it "the sweet spot", but there's nothing sweet about it, you're just getting scammed into believing you should invest in such resolution increase only to make you believe you made a wise decision in your investment

4k is the real deal, is the real upgrade, and now it's more accessible than ever with the powerful GPUs available in the markets and technologies like DLSS to not compromise 60fps

Also, you can still play games at lower res on 4k hardware if you need to.

What made you think that a 78% increase in resolution is better than a 400% increase? What made you believe that 78% is worth it but not 400%?
They're just making you believe you're the smart one buying another monitor/TV in between the real upgrades, charging you for old cheap tech while you're going "oh yeah I'm really smart in not falling for that 4k stuff that's just a waste of resources hurr durr"

#FACTS

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
and-i-should-give-a-shit-about-this-why-icecream.gif

Goon_Bong

4K puritans are like the sort of people who won't eat a dish that isn't suffixed with 'on a bed of'. Good upscaling techniques are hard to discern from the real thing and can result in 60fps options on consoles. I'd rather eat my own shit than count pixels all day.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
There isn't a debate. Higher resolution and framerate will always be better because it's a question of fidelity, not preference, and that's the path we're climbing. As time goes on, the cutting edge becomes the standard. On and on it goes.

Last edited:
Well, I don't see a difference?
I always aim for higher FPS
I'm on 2K on PC, and 4K with my consoles [XSX & PS5]
both are good
I prefer 1440p cuz I can get higher FPS, though I can even do 4K60 on pc.
People are exaggerating, but I think most people like high FPS currently and prefer it.
Not everybody can afford expensive gear, and you shouldn't need that to enjoy your hobby, imo

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There isn't a debate. Higher resolution and framerate will always be better because it's a question of fidelity, not preference, and that's the path we're climbing. As time goes on, the cutting edge becomes the standard. On and on it goes.

This actually brings me back to an old debate.
If I were to show you a 1080p tv show (lets say the rookie, or game of thrones, or the last of tv show), it would look "real" to you. Yes.

And then we have video games at 1080p, or 1440p, and 4k. Still, for the most part, none of them look "real" regardless of resolution. (Getting closer......but you'd never say any driving game looks like a real race at 1080p, yet you would a real race at 1080p.......)

So while I would agree games look better overall at higher resolutions, I would content we have many other areas other than resolution to improve how our games look.

Lasha

You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 4k and 1440p at monitor viewing distances. You would probably pick a game running at a higher frame-rate on a 1440p monitor in a blind test since the human eye can't really tell the difference unless you are sitting way too close to the screen. The difference is more pronounced when you get into TV screen sizes but I honestly wasn't aware of any manufacturer producing TVs with native 1440p panels.

mhirano

4k is great but I will take fake 4k (aka DLSS or FSR) over native 4k any day of the week of that means higher FPS

4k is the real deal, is the real upgrade, and now it's more accessible than ever with the powerful GPUs available in the markets and technologies like DLSS to not compromise 60fps
Not a single computer or console was ready for the one-two punch of 4k and raytracing/path tracing last gen. This gen devs are still making sacrifices to keep up, and now to add further pressure, console gamers are demanding 60fps more and more in modern games.

1440p should have been the gradual step. This is like that awkward period of time when the iphone first released and every android phone scrambled to follow suit with absolutely awful specs and UIs that weren't meant to handle a widescreen touch interface.

You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 4k and 1440p at monitor viewing distances. You would probably pick a game running at a higher frame-rate on a 1440p monitor in a blind test since the human eye can't really tell the difference unless you are sitting way too close to the screen. The difference is more pronounced when you get into TV screen sizes but I honestly wasn't aware of any manufacturer producing TVs with native 1440p panels.
Yes, this is exactly why OP reeks of stupidity. Discussing resolutions without considering viewing distance and screen size is a fool’s errand. Higher is not always better in practice. If you’re rendering more pixels but your eyes can’t see them, does it really matter? And aren’t you wasting energy and resources then? I.E, diminishing returns

YCoCg

It's down to what people prefer, normally the power it takes to drive 4k60 is also enough to do 1440p120/144 which would have a motion benefit over graphical.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
No 4K for me on PC because:
1) I don't see any real benefit to it (and yes, I compared my monitor with a friend's excellent 4K monitor during a lan just a few weeks ago)
2) For 4K I need at least 32" and I think it is too big, when 27" is actually perfect imo
3) Waste of performance
4) Sweet locked 144Hz even on Hogwarts Legacy with RTX maxed out *yummy*
5) Downsampling! I can get a fuckin amazing IQ by downsampling a game from 4K.

And that's coming from someone who play with a 4090, 32GO DDR5, 13700K and one of the best SSD in the market. Not saying I wont change ever, but not for now that is for sure.
Oh and by the way, assuming playing in 1440p mean that "people who can't go up to 4k" is pretty childish. I can buy a 2000e monitor every month and still live a comfortable lifen, I just don't need it.

1440p is a waste of resources. Why not just stick to the highly efficient 1080p?
Have you ever heard about PPI, or pixel density? If someone is happy with a 27" display, he don't need to go to 4K as 1440p is already perfect.

Last edited:
You pretty much need to buy a $1k+ video card to go to 4K so I can see why a lot of people are sticking with 1440p.

I basically didn't get to the point where I could consistently hit 4K/60fps until I had a 3090 and that was not a cheap video card back in 2020.

Crayon

1440 is sharp enough to see a little guy moving farther than a lot of games can draw. 4k is better but you are talking about spending hundreds of dollars more on a gpu. I play on a big tv and nah, I'm good. It's not enough of a difference for the money. I'm not afraid to spend money but I'm not going to piss off $200-300 more for something that adds so little.

Wrong. Everyone knows 4K is objectively superior. People favor 1440p over 4K because monitors are less expensive and you get a sharper image without sacrificing too much performance. It’s called the middle ground.
Its called staring at a tiny screen. 4K on a 60" is more than noticeable. Also I can never understand you PC people, so a 4k monitor is expensive but paying $2000 for a new graphics card is a bargain. You really don't have your priorities straight. When you switch to 4K, you will notice just how blurry it was whatever you were playing on your 1440 especially noticeable on the text and menus. Having had PS4 for 3 years and then buying the PRO which added 4K support, it wasn't a tiny difference, it was massive upgrade in sharpness.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Really depends on the size and viewing distance I guess.

I sit about 9-10 feet away from a 77" OLED and 4k is really important to me. I usually choose Fidelity over Performance modes. 1440p is just too soft.

Once an image hits ~1800p or so though, I'm happy and can't really tell the different between that and native 4k. FSR 2.0 is really effective in my eyes as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom